2015 Cricket World Cup

Reggie29

What in the hell is a Wicket? Man. On the Streak contest they had a freakin Cricket match with Afganistan of all countries and I forget who they played, but they were down 260-0 and won!!!! What kind of a sport is this?

Rick, can't you let it go? Why persist in further validating ugly American stereotypes?

Since you're a baseball fan, think of it this way...imagine Baltimore is playing the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. As the visiting team, Baltimore bats first. Now, instead of the usual 9 innings, 3 outs an inning procedure, Baltimore instead bats until they have used up all 27 of their outs. However many runs they have scored at the end of their 27 outs is the number that the Yankees have to beat during their time at bat. If the Yankees surpass Baltimore's total before using up their 27 outs, they win...if they don't, Baltimore wins.

As for wickets, think of it as the cricket equivalent to an out. Each side in cricket gets 10 wickets (or outs) during their 50 overs. You will see a trio of poles directly behind the batsman...that is the wicket. Besides scoring runs, it is of utmost importance that the batsman doesn't allow the ball hit the wicket. If it does, then the batter is out and the bowling team picks up a wicket. Also, a catch of a fly ball counts as a wicket/out, knocking the batsman out. The goal of the bowling team is to collect 10 wickets before the batting team surpasses the number of runs the other team scored during their overs. Conversely, the batting team needs to score the runs needed before losing 10 wickets.

I'm surprised as a baseball fan, you can't appreciate cricket more.

Edited by Strider

Crikey! I just realized the Final is 8:30 tonight, not Sunday night. Only a couple hours away.

Jules and Reggie, any thoughts of going to the Final in person? Or are tickets too expensive? How expensive are tickets in relation to Rugby or Football (Soccer or Australian Rules) tickets?

Crikey! I just realized the Final is 8:30 tonight, not Sunday night. Only a couple hours away.

Jules and Reggie, any thoughts of going to the Final in person? Or are tickets too expensive? How expensive are tickets in relation to Rugby or Football (Soccer or Australian Rules) tickets?

Yes, only a couple of hours to go.

Melbourne is 880kms (400 miles) away from me and a bit further from Jules.

Ticket prices are reasonable starting at $50 for adults and are on par with other sports, accommodation would be scarce and expensive.

So with flights, hotel, meals, drinks etc and admission the cost could be as much as $2000 for the weekend, if not more.

I had planned to go to one of the games in Sydney but as it turned out one was washed out due to rain and the other was sold out.

I'd've loved to go but it wasn't possible as the Final sold out over a year ago.

The crowd is expected to be 95000 strong.

Edited by Reggie29

Advantage Australia then? It seems as if it is better for a team to have a fixed number to target when they bat?

Hopefully.

The advantage of batting first in a day / night match is that the fielding team is out in the sun all day as opposed to the batters who are relaxing in the stands and are somewhat fresher at the start of the second innings, unless of course one or two of them bat all day.

That doesn't happen very often but it can happen.

Being played in cooler conditions reduces dehydration compared to playing in January in the middle of Summer.

Australia's strenghts are that they can score big totals when batting first and being able to defend those totals when fielding and have a good record of chasing down oppositon scores when batting second.

^^^

Not sure how the physics of cricket compare to baseball, but the general rule of thumb in baseball is that the baseball carries better in the sunlight and warm weather, leading to more home runs than at night.

As for Clarke announcing his retirement before the Final, it's never certain if this inspires a team before a big match or causes a distraction.

^^^

Not sure how the physics of cricket compare to baseball, but the general rule of thumb in baseball is that the baseball carries better in the sunlight and warm weather, leading to more home runs than at night.

As for Clarke announcing his retirement before the Final, it's never certain if this inspires a team before a big match or causes a distraction.

Not sure either.

Clarke has been plagued with a back injury for some time now and it's a credit to him that he got himself fit for the WC, still it was a shock that he announced his retirement before the game.

The team will do as much as they can to send him out a winner.

He will still Captain the Test Cricket team.

^^^Quack quack!

The latest poll numbers on ESPN...

Who would you like to see win the 2015 World Cup?

Australia 19.51% 16642 votes

New Zealand 77.73% 66314 votes

Neutral 2.76% 2357 votes

I can understand that given Australia have won four and lost two while NZ have made the Final for the first time.

Edited by Reggie29

Holy molé! Australia held New Zealand to under 200...183 to be exact. I'm a complete novice in cricket but that seems to me to be exceptional bowling and fielding on the part of the Aussies.

I guess we'll see if New Zealand's bowlers can meet the challenge of stifling Australia's attack. 184 appears to be an easy target to reach. Reggie and Jules must be feeling good.

But I don't expect you to give up hope now, Kiwi. Not when the Black Caps have shown their resolve before.

It should be a thrilling finish.

Edited by Strider