2015 Cricket World Cup

Reggie29

Hi Kiwi :)

So glad you know who Arthur is! Yeah he is a living legend, and Hubby was pleased to finally meet him. They had a breif chat, but he is 93 and we didn't want to bother him too much. He has bad arthritis, and can't get around that well any more :( I see him most wednesdays when he comes shopping, but this week they are off cruising around the top of Australia, and down to Broome, then they are going to Fremantle to catch the Indian Pacific back to Sydney! Sounds like an amazing holiday!

Sorry, no pics of me , I am camera shy....

Hi Julie :wave:

Sorry to hear about Mr. Morris' arthritis! :( Hope he and his wife have a lovely vacation this week and get to enjoy their cruise! They sure look like a lovely couple! :) You're lucky to have the opportunity to see him every wednesday! :)

^^^Thanks Emily. The Germans are usually good at all sports, but their cricket team seems pretty low-profile.

I am shocked at this news story that India fans will outnumber Aussies 70% to 30% at the Semifinal in Sydney...right in Australia's backyard. http://m.sports.ndtv.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/news/239523-world-cup-2015-sydney-cricket-ground-set-to-turn-indian-for-australia-semi-final

Another newspaper report mentioned that New Zealand's fervor for the World Cup has been higher than Australia's. The matches in New Zealand have been packed and loud, while Australia has had empty seats at their stadiums.

^^^Thanks Emily. The Germans are usually good at all sports, but their cricket team seems pretty low-profile.

I am shocked at this news story that India fans will outnumber Aussies 70% to 30% at the Semifinal in Sydney...right in Australia's backyard. http://m.sports.ndtv.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/news/239523-world-cup-2015-sydney-cricket-ground-set-to-turn-indian-for-australia-semi-final

Another newspaper report mentioned that New Zealand's fervor for the World Cup has been higher than Australia's. The matches in New Zealand have been packed and loud, while Australia has had empty seats at their stadiums.

I watched that report on the news last night and I'll believe that when I see it, however, many had purchased tickets well before the tournament started and thousands have come just for the WC games.

Cricket is huge in India and because of massive television revenue generated in that country, they have a very big influence on the game, moreso than the ICC.

They were the only nation who opposed the DRS (Decision Review System).

Also there are a lot of expatriates living here. They make up a large percentage of immigrants and they support their team well.

Given that the grounds in NZ are somewhat smaller than say the MCG and SCG, they do manage to fill them regularly.

Wait until the Final is played at the MCG then you'll know what noise is all about regardless of who is playing.

Except for the odd game played on the weekend, crowds are always down early in the day when played during the week.

The crowds usually increase after the first innings when people have knocked off work and go to the game.

The other thing to note is, there has been a lot of Cricket played in Australia this summer particularly against India and it can be an expensive exercise to go to every game.

Australia defeated India 2-0 (two matches drawn) in the four test series and Australia won the ODI Tri Series against England and India. They went through undefeated and the SCG game was washed out due to rain with no result.

It will be a good match as India would like nothing better than to beat Australia in Australia so they have that pressure on them.

Australia have similar pressure on them as they don't want to lose at home. NZ and SA are in exactly the same position.

NZ vs. Sth Africa starting soon and should be another cracker.

SA won the toss and elected to bat first.

Being sudden death all four teams have a lot to play for and losing is not an option.

Play has resumed after rain delayed the match for about an hour and reduced to 43 overs due to the Duckworth Lewis Equation.

http://www.duckworth-lewis.com/CalculatorforT20ODI/tabid/56/Default.aspx .

SA are 5/281 at the end of their innings.

The revised total of runs required by NZ to win is 298.

If it rains again and the game is washed out there is a possibility the match will be replayed tomorrow.

what Reggie said :)

and don't forget that here in OZ we also love football - all four types, where as in India, it's pretty much cricket, cricket and more cricket. It's like a religion over there....

STUPID LAME GAME WORST THAN GOLF.

WHAT IS A WICKET? HOW DO YOU PLAY 1 INNING?

THE OTHER DAY THE DUTCH I BELIEVE WERE PLAYING OF ALL TEAMS FREAKIIN AFGHANISTAN!!!!!!!

AFGHANISTAN? REALLY? THOSE TALIBAN BOMB MAKING, WORLD HATING BASTARDS? SO THEY ARE DOWN 260-0 AND VEGAS HAS THEM AS BIG FAVORITES STILL!!!!!!!

YES THEY CAME BACK AND WON 261-260!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 WHAT KIND OF A LAME SPORT/GAME IS THIS? YOU CAN KEEP IT

AND TO BOOT IT TAKES 8 FREAKIIN HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just goes to show what ignorance really does for you? That semi final between SA and NZ was just a classic. A six to win it with 2 balls to go - fantastic. Many congrats to the Black Caps and commiserations to the 'boks. What a great advert for the game? I think I need a cup of tea. I need to add Kiwi's comments about the emotion. Morkel bowled brilliantly but you can't take it away from Elliot, a brilliant end.

well done, Kiwis! I was on the edge of my seat, what an amazing game!

I am so nervous for Australia now, I really want a Australia/New Zealand final!!!!

Julie, believe me! You have absolutely nothing to worry about! :friends: In fact, the Aussies can fly to Melbourne right now! I mean they deserve to be in that final as much as NZ! That's for damn sure!! :D

Just goes to show what ignorance really does for you? That semi final between SA and NZ was just a classic. A six to win it with 2 balls to go - fantastic. Many congrats to the Black Caps and commiserations to the 'boks. What a great advert for the game? I think I need a cup of tea. I need to add Kiwi's comments about the emotion. Morkel bowled brilliantly but you can't take it away from Elliot, a brilliant end.

Amen to that, CP! Some idiots out there will never ever comprehend the kind of hard work, discipline and strategy that a game like cricket involves! Anyway, for fans like us who love this wonderful game, we got to witness such an epic, nail biting finish! Just fabulous!! This semi-final was everything I hoped it would be!! :D I was freaking out at one point when the Proteas seemed to be taking the game away from the Kiwis but I must admit that I do love a good fight back! From the way DeVilliers and DuPlessis got going with the bat to Morkel's bowling! That spell of rain was probably a bit of a blessing for the Kiwis!

**Edited for a spelling error

What can I say, Kiwi...I am so happy for you that New Zealand came back to beat South Africa! They certainly drew it down to the wire. Have you any fingernails left?

Now it's up to Australia...and yes, I am cheering for Australia against India.

Julie, believe me! You have absolutely nothing to worry about! :friends: In fact, the Aussies can fly to Melbourne right now! I mean they deserve to be in that final as much as NZ! That's for damn sure!! :D

I like your positivity!

Amen to that, CP! Some idiots out there will never ever comprehend the kind of hard work, discipline and strategy that a game like cricket involves! Anyway, for fans like us who love this wonderful game, we got to witness such an epic, nail biting finish! Just fabulous!! This semi-final was everything I hoped it would be!! :D I was freaking out at one point when the Proteas seemed to be taking the game away from the Kiwis but I must admit that I do love a good fight back! From the way DeVilliers and DuPlessis got going with the bat to Morkel's bowling! That spell of rain was probably a bit of a blessing for the Kiwis!

**Edited for a spelling error

It really must be the most strategic game out there..... I guess a lot of people don't grasp that.

What can I say, Kiwi...I am so happy for you that New Zealand came back to beat South Africa! They certainly drew it down to the wire. Have you any fingernails left?

Glad to have you on our side!

:)

I like your positivity!

Well Julie, my positivity stems from the fact that teams like Australia and NZ are top quality sides, who not only have the skills to be champions but who play with a "never say die" attitude! Both teams just refuse to give up and give it all they have, which is so wonderful to watch! :) I love teams who put their heart and soul into their cricket and don't just play for individual glory or monetary gain! Apart from NZ and Australia, the Proteas are another side with all these wonderful qualities! That's why I couldn't help but feel sorry for them yesterday! They played with their heart on their sleeve, putting up a valiant fight!

Thank you, Strider! :) We certainly witnessed a legendary game yesterday! And yes, I do have a couple of fingernails left! Thanks for asking! :lol::P

Archived