2015 Cricket World Cup

Reggie29

You know, there's a saying in baseball: "Hit 'em where they ain't."

Australia is following that to the letter.

Yep! Absolutely! In fact, that does seem to be the type of philosophy followed by many modern day batsmen. For instance, former Indian batsman Virender Sehwag, had a pretty simple motto: "See Ball, Hit Ball!" :P Batsmen like Glenn Maxwell, seem to have adopted a similar philosophy, I guess! :lol:

Congratulations Australia! Party on Aussies!!!

New Zealand can be proud in the fight they showed in making it to the Final! They did better than all the other countries save one. Maybe next time will be the time they break thru to the championship.

Aussie Aussie!! Oi! Oi!

It's been fun and educational following this World Cup. Now I'm off to bed. Gotta work in 6 hours.

Congratulations Australia! Party on Aussies!!!

New Zealand can be proud in the fight they showed in making it to the Final! They did better than all the other countries save one. Maybe next time will be the time they break thru to the championship.

Aussie Aussie!! Oi! Oi!

It's been fun and educational following this World Cup. Now I'm off to bed. Gotta work in 6 hours.

Well said Strider and thanks for being such a good sport.

I have an early start too, nighty night all xo

A predictably one sided affair. Shame really. I only watched the highlights and then I turned off when it was as obvious as the sun in the sky who was going to win. Can't really say that I am too enamored at the result - a damp squib end to a entertaining world cup?

A predictably one sided affair. Shame really. I only watched the highlights and then I turned off when it was as obvious as the sun in the sky who was going to win. Can't really say that I am too enamored at the result - a damp squib end to a entertaining world cup?

Whilst I am of course happy with the result, I do agree it was a bit boring to watch. The Nz / SA match was way more entertaining.

New Zealand were the favourites to win on form going in as the only undefeated side. They gave up the ghost when they lost McCullum and Guptill. Vettori wasn't at his best due to an injury. The only players who can hold his head up are Elliott, Southee and Boult.

Another factor was they never played any games outside of NZ.

We'll take the win.

I also think you will teach us a lesson in the Ashes this summer. The pendulum has swung too much your way and we are just plain rubbish. Two venues the ECB has neglected (again) is a test in The North of England. Headingley, scene of one of the greatest moments in Ashes history, and Old Trafford, one of the best tracks in England and a refurbished stadium which would have been a test for all. So where do we have?:

Cardiff - a classic English city, rich in tradition. Fucking joke

Lords - A venue we have only got a result once in my lifetime.

Edgbaston - fair enough. Scene of "that" test match in 2005

Trent Bridge, Nottingham - a dull flat track where a 10 day test is lucky to get a result

The Oval - Where who bats first can bat all week.

So geographically if you live north of the Midlands then tough shit. Having said that if you are lucky enough to have a wad of cash then it's happy days. I didn't even bother to see exactly how much a seat is, but I bet it's more than most people earn in a week and the weather will be shite anyway.

As far as TV coverage is concerned Sky/Satellite have the monopoly on every sport in this country, unless you count snooker or indoor bowls which is as exciting as putting out the rubbish. Rumours of the BBC actually showing a 30 second clip on the news of a leg bye or a batsman changing his gloves have proved baseless. Old "auntie" can't be arsed to pay for any highlights and anyway when would they show them? Surely it can't interrupt the endless repeats of " Dads Army" or "Last of the summer wine" which litter the couple of channels we pay £100 odd notes a year for.

So wrap up warm our intrepid antipodeans, let battle commence. Just don't forget your woolies and rain coats?

I also think you will teach us a lesson in the Ashes this summer. The pendulum has swung too much your way and we are just plain rubbish. Two venues the ECB has neglected (again) is a test in The North of England. Headingley, scene of one of the greatest moments in Ashes history, and Old Trafford, one of the best tracks in England and a refurbished stadium which would have been a test for all. So where do we have?:

Cardiff - a classic English city, rich in tradition. Fucking joke

Lords - A venue we have only got a result once in my lifetime.

Edgbaston - fair enough. Scene of "that" test match in 2005

Trent Bridge, Nottingham - a dull flat track where a 10 day test is lucky to get a result

The Oval - Where who bats first can bat all week.

So geographically if you live north of the Midlands then tough shit. Having said that if you are lucky enough to have a wad of cash then it's happy days. I didn't even bother to see exactly how much a seat is, but I bet it's more than most people earn in a week and the weather will be shite anyway.

As far as TV coverage is concerned Sky/Satellite have the monopoly on every sport in this country, unless you count snooker or indoor bowls which is as exciting as putting out the rubbish. Rumours of the BBC actually showing a 30 second clip on the news of a leg bye or a batsman changing his gloves have proved baseless. Old "auntie" can't be arsed to pay for any highlights and anyway when would they show them? Surely it can't interrupt the endless repeats of " Dads Army" or "Last of the summer wine" which litter the couple of channels we pay £100 odd notes a year for.

So wrap up warm our intrepid antipodeans, let battle commence. Just don't forget your woolies and rain coats?

Why aren't they playing at Headingly?

Test matches are a lot different compared to ODI's so I wouldn't write England off just yet and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen got a recall.

There are sites where you can stream online, surely?

We're off to the Caribbean in June then on to England in July..

Test matches are a lot different compared to ODI's so I wouldn't write England off just yet and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen got a recall.

Pietersen should have been in the ODI side for the World Cup but was not even in the starting trap, and it is highly unlikely he will be in the test side regardless if he scores ton after ton in County cricket

Headingley: Because it's a) In the North, B) The fans have proved to be somewhat unruly and the old guard didn't like it.

I have Sky so it's not a big problem for me but it is a problem if you can't afford the £40 notes a month for the privilege.

England are also off to the Caribbean in April/May but I don't hold my breath for any improvement. Still they can catch up on making fat joints and topping up the tan only to see it fade as Johnson bowls them out cheaply in July.

Pietersen should have been in the ODI side for the World Cup but was not even in the starting trap, and it is highly unlikely he will be in the test side regardless if he scores ton after ton in County cricket

Because it's a) In the North, B) The fans have proved to be somewhat unruly and the old guard didn't like it.

I have Sky so it's not a big problem for me but it is a problem if you can't afford the £40 notes a month for the privilege.

England are also off to the Caribbean in April/May but I don't hold my breath for any improvement. Still they can catch up on making fat joints and topping up the tan only to see it fade as Johnson bowls them out cheaply in July.

Headingley: Because it's a) In the North, B) The fans have proved to be somewhat unruly and the old guard didn't like it.

wow, CP, I didn't realise that you couldn't watch the tests over there.... but you could watch the world cup.... SKY is forty pounds a month? that's like eighty dollars here, ridiculous! Can you go to a pub and watch their SKY?

You can watch the tests but only on Satellite TV not free to view services, same for the World Cup - no free to air service even offered highlights. To get the sports on Sky you have to have a full subscription which can cost anything from £70 to £100 monthly but that does include free phone calls and line rental and unlimited broadband ( which having separately can cost £45). You may go to the pub if the you can find one. Many pubs have closed due to the exorbitant rates, price of drinks and more importantly the smoking ban. To get Sky in pubs is ridiculously expensive. Our Golf club refuses to pay the 1000's of pounds it would have to pay to allow Sky. It is a real shame

No cricket on English TV, CP? Scandalous.

No sport on TV man, that's scandalous. Years ago the BBC were the leaders in sport on TV. But money talks. No live Football Premier League matches on the BBC in fact hardly any sport on the BBC period. It came as no surprise the BBC lost the rights to the last bastion of free to air sport - The British Golf Open. From next year that will also have gone to Sky. They offered a tone of cash which was gratefully accepted by the R&A. Big business sport. All the BBC shows these days is rubbish costume dramas or soaps or endless repeats of 70's comedy. I hardly ever watch the BBC. What gets me is we still have to pay for a TV license (currently £120 year) for the privilege of actually owning a TV whether we watch BBC or not.

As far as the cricket goes, the BBC refuse to pay even for highlights. So to sum up, if you do not have cable/satellite TV the only free sport you could watch would be the FA Cup ( but that will go soon) darts,snooker or indoor bowls or maybe, if your lucky, fishing !

You can watch the tests but only on Satellite TV not free to view services, same for the World Cup - no free to air service even offered highlights. To get the sports on Sky you have to have a full subscription which can cost anything from £70 to £100 monthly but that does include free phone calls and line rental and unlimited broadband ( which having separately can cost £45). You may go to the pub if the you can find one. Many pubs have closed due to the exorbitant rates, price of drinks and more importantly the smoking ban. To get Sky in pubs is ridiculously expensive. Our Golf club refuses to pay the 1000's of pounds it would have to pay to allow Sky. It is a real shame

No sport on TV man, that's scandalous. Years ago the BBC were the leaders in sport on TV. But money talks. No live Football Premier League matches on the BBC in fact hardly any sport on the BBC period. It came as no surprise the BBC lost the rights to the last bastion of free to air sport - The British Golf Open. From next year that will also have gone to Sky. They offered a tone of cash which was gratefully accepted by the R&A. Big business sport. All the BBC shows these days is rubbish costume dramas or soaps or endless repeats of 70's comedy. I hardly ever watch the BBC. What gets me is we still have to pay for a TV license (currently £120 year) for the privilege of actually owning a TV whether we watch BBC or not.

As far as the cricket goes, the BBC refuse to pay even for highlights. So to sum up, if you do not have cable/satellite TV the only free sport you could watch would be the FA Cup ( but that will go soon) darts,snooker or indoor bowls or maybe, if your lucky, fishing !

ooh that is not good!

So, who watches Sky then? Who can afford it?

And the pubs are closing????

I can't believe you still have to pay a licence fee to watch your own tv!...... Reminds me of that episode of the young ones....

Rick, can't you let it go? Why persist in further validating ugly American stereotypes?

Since you're a baseball fan, think of it this way...imagine Baltimore is playing the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. As the visiting team, Baltimore bats first. Now, instead of the usual 9 innings, 3 outs an inning procedure, Baltimore instead bats until they have used up all 27 of their outs. However many runs they have scored at the end of their 27 outs is the number that the Yankees have to beat during their time at bat. If the Yankees surpass Baltimore's total before using up their 27 outs, they win...if they don't, Baltimore wins.

As for wickets, think of it as the cricket equivalent to an out. Each side in cricket gets 10 wickets (or outs) during their 50 overs. You will see a trio of poles directly behind the batsman...that is the wicket. Besides scoring runs, it is of utmost importance that the batsman doesn't allow the ball hit the wicket. If it does, then the batter is out and the bowling team picks up a wicket. Also, a catch of a fly ball counts as a wicket/out, knocking the batsman out. The goal of the bowling team is to collect 10 wickets before the batting team surpasses the number of runs the other team scored during their overs. Conversely, the batting team needs to score the runs needed before losing 10 wickets.

I'm surprised as a baseball fan, you can't appreciate cricket more.

Well for one thing, and I do praise you for your outstanding explanation, I never get to see it as its never on. so you referred to the "bowling team". I assume that means the team that is "pitching" or playing defense as in baseball? Well its just strange that a team could lose after trailing by 260-0. Memories of Georgia Techs destruction of Cumberland in the 1930's I believe in football. 222-0. The most lopsided game in football history. Enjoy the Cricket. Its not something I could bare to sit through

Archived