Green Cafe's In Amsterdam

The Only Way To Fly

I worked in Afghanistan from 2010 to 2013 and when traveling I'd often book a ticket from Dubai to Chicago via Amsterdam on KLM. There's a good six hour layover and I'd always head into the city to hang at a coffee shop. So one time I get a bag of weed, order a coffee, light it up all's good... that is until I light up a Marlboro. Guy behind the counter says "hey, wait is that a cigarette, I say yes & he says you can't smoke in here. This is a green cafe, not a brown cafe. If you want to smoke a cigarette, you have to go outside and be 15 feet from the door".

CRAZY! Smoke all the weed and hash you want, but don't light up tobacco. I still LOVE you Amsterdam!

They might as well have been bullshitting you. Since laws on smoking have changed, most coffeeshops have a special place for smokers (weed smokers and tobacco smokers that is. A typical joint in Holland contains tobacco anyway, almost nobody smokes that stuff pure).

Which shop was it, if I may inquire?

Amsterdam has some nice places to visit, just to hang round.

Try the Chinese district, and the Vondelpark.

Might you wanna get the music collector's mindfuck.....go to the vinyl shop across the street from Paradiso (a well known music venue). That shop is literally a bootleg heaven. Many artists who played Paradiso also went shopping there, so they also have a nice collection of signed records hanging there (It seems I missed Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes by ten minutes last time I went there).

In case you love the red light district.....be warned for the ladies in the Bloedstraat. They are all transsexuals, and I have seen many people mistake them for women (unless of course you like it kinky, hahaha).

Oh.....and eat a friet speciaal to taste something we all eat en masse here just to get into the vibe.

On 1/24/2016 at 2:04 AM, The Only Way To Fly said:

I worked in Afghanistan from 2010 to 2013 and when traveling I'd often book a ticket from Dubai to Chicago via Amsterdam on KLM. There's a good six hour layover and I'd always head into the city to hang at a coffee shop. So one time I get a bag of weed, order a coffee, light it up all's good... that is until I light up a Marlboro. Guy behind the counter says "hey, wait is that a cigarette, I say yes & he says you can't smoke in here. This is a green cafe, not a brown cafe. If you want to smoke a cigarette, you have to go outside and be 15 feet from the door".

CRAZY! Smoke all the weed and hash you want, but don't light up tobacco. I still LOVE you Amsterdam!

Ahhh the many wonders of Amsterdam and the smoking ban? I haven't been since this law was introduced so I can't comment. However, it is pretty ridiculous to me that you can have one thing without the other. What exactly happened? You scored a bag and did you go to a "room" where you smoked? 

I used to go to Amsterdam every year, but a bit like going to Disney world every week, the novelty wears off. But it is a buzz for a couple of days and the locals are super friendly and they do have good smoke - if you stay away from real touristy haunts. One thing though, I never ate well there. Bar an Indonesian eatery, it was not a foodies delight. Febo, Pizza, chips, Middle Eastern fried balls of stuff, Argentinian Steaks, more chips with mayo. May have changed now though. Oh an excellent market at Waterlooplein makes a good day out. As does a warm spring day at Vondel Park. I used to stay around this area and always felt safe. The Red Light district did nothing for me. Heavy, scary place full of blokes gawping at the Asian birds in the windows. 

36 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Ahhh the many wonders of Amsterdam and the smoking ban? I haven't been since this law was introduced so I can't comment. However, it is pretty ridiculous to me that you can have one thing without the other. What exactly happened? You scored a bag and did you go to a "room" where you smoked? 

I used to go to Amsterdam every year, but a bit like going to Disney world every week, the novelty wears off. But it is a buzz for a couple of days and the locals are super friendly and they do have good smoke - if you stay away from real touristy haunts. One thing though, I never ate well there. Bar an Indonesian eatery, it was not a foodies delight. Febo, Pizza, chips, Middle Eastern fried balls of stuff, Argentinian Steaks, more chips with mayo. May have changed now though. Oh an excellent market at Waterlooplein makes a good day out. As does a warm spring day at Vondel Park. I used to stay around this area and always felt safe. The Red Light district did nothing for me. Heavy, scary place full of blokes gawping at the Asian birds in the windows. 

I have a cousin who used have a flat right opposite the Cassa Rosso right in the centre of the red light district back in the middle 70's.. Last time I went to The Dam (15? years ago)  Steve's ex-flat  had been changed from residential to "retail".

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I have a cousin who used have a flat right opposite the Cassa Rosso right in the centre of the red light district back in the middle 70's.. Last time I went to The Dam (15? years ago)  Steve's ex-flat  had been changed from residential to "retail".

Funny that man ! Have many strange tails from The Dam. Many I don't wish to remember and many I do remember but wish i don't - if that makes sense? By the way current solid intake is Manali Cream - oh boy it is deeelish ! Not cheap mind at £10 g but anything that bubbles at the remotest heat is good in my book.

1 hour ago, Freeyyaa said:

What should I do in Amsterdam if I do not smoke weed, as I am neither a smoker, nor a junkie?

Many options.

Visit the Rijksmuseum, have an afternoon at the Vondelpark, take a boat trip through the grachten (the channels), visit the Chinese district, catch a concert at Paradiso or at De Melkweg. Might you ever come to Holland, just let me know.........I give you a tour.

4 hours ago, Freeyyaa said:

What should I do in Amsterdam if I do not smoke weed, as I am neither a smoker, nor a junkie?

Find a language class to attend as that seems to be an interest of yours.  With that said, your English has become remarkably better recently, so if you've been studying that - keep up the good work! :thumbsup: 

On January 25, 2016 at 3:30 PM, redrum said:

Maybe in 30 years they'll find that smoking weed causes lung cancer and the cry will then be: BAN BIG MARIJUANA!!

Let the corporations take control over it and it'll happen.  Then the representatives will pass it as a safe substance.  

Acid on the other hand.....

4 hours ago, reswati said:

Many options.

Visit the Rijksmuseum, have an afternoon at the Vondelpark, take a boat trip through the grachten (the channels), visit the Chinese district, catch a concert at Paradiso or at De Melkweg. Might you ever come to Holland, just let me know.........I give you a tour.

Yes to a boat trip through the channels!  The houses are gorgeous, sparkling clean windows with lots of flowers in window boxes.  It is a beautiful sight to see!  We saw where Anne Frank lived from the boat ride. 

On 1/29/2016 at 5:27 PM, Walter said:

Let the corporations take control over it and it'll happen.  Then the representatives will pass it as a safe substance.  

Acid on the other hand.....

The Pope Smokes Dope. B)

Archived