2017 NFL Thread

Walter

41 minutes ago, Walter said:

Jack Del Rio fires Ken Norton Jr.   Thought Del Rio himself was fired.

It's only a matter of time. Analytics and metrics are infiltrating football just as they have baseball. The "ol' ball coach" style of unimaginative offenses is not going to cut it.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:33 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

As for Bills?  Yesterday was a pathetic performance.  Maybe the worst in years. 

hard to say pRicky....since the team has perennially sucked since league inception "worst" is clearly a relative term....can't wait for your profoundly banal future insight on things....til then....enjoy last place

On 11/21/2017 at 7:48 PM, Metta said:

hard to say pRicky....since the team has perennially sucked since league inception "worst" is clearly a relative term....can't wait for your profoundly banal future insight on things....til then....enjoy last place

Not sure what that means.  So they sucked when they went to 4 Super Bowls in a row?  Cannot agree.  Good days are ahead regardless of this year.  Loaded with draft picks for first time since I can remember.  So they can trade up or stand pat.  They are going to cash in big in April fella.  

On 11/22/2017 at 10:17 PM, Strider said:

Detroit...Battle for the Norris Division! Can Detroit handle the pressure?

The answer obviously was a big NO. Even worse, after years and years of waiting to see if Stafford will be the guy who can take them to the promise land, it appears that Stafford has reached his plateau...he will never be better than what he is now, a capable quarterback but not a super quarterback.

And now teams that were struggling for years...Minnesota and the Rams...all of a sudden have zoomed past Detroit with their young quarterbacks Case Keenum and Jared Goff. Detroit might have to be looking for a new franchise quarterback soon.

9 minutes ago, Strider said:

The answer obviously was a big NO. Even worse, after years and years of waiting to see if Stafford will be the guy who can take them to the promise land, it appears that Stafford has reached his plateau...he will never be better than what he is now, a capable quarterback but not a super quarterback.

And now teams that were struggling for years...Minnesota and the Rams...all of a sudden have zoomed past Detroit with their young quarterbacks Case Keenum and Jared Goff. Detroit might have to be looking for a new franchise quarterback soon.

So you are going to blame Stafford?  Unreal  I think there is far more too it..

46 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So you are going to blame Stafford?  Unreal  I think there is far more too it..

No I'm not blaming Stafford. I'm just saying his window is closing...his peak years are about done. He is just another victim of Detroit's Institutional History of Badness. Bad coaches, bad schemes, bad drafts, bad trades, bad luck.

23 hours ago, Strider said:

No I'm not blaming Stafford. I'm just saying his window is closing...his peak years are about done. He is just another victim of Detroit's Institutional History of Badness. Bad coaches, bad schemes, bad drafts, bad trades, bad luck.

Cant argue with that.  Bills shocking all but me so far.  13-3 good guys at the half.  D is all over KC.  hope it holds up.  We need this one badly.  Nice job by Suh hitting Brady.  Cleaned his clock a couple times.

On 11/26/2017 at 4:41 AM, Strider said:

Stafford is NOT an elite QB and never will be. I've been saying that for at least two seasons now. If a QB can't win after NINE years in a league built on parity he never will. Of course, he has the misfortune of working for the most inept, mediocre professional sports team in the world.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Stafford is NOT an elite QB and never will be. I've been saying that for at least two seasons now. If a QB can't win after NINE years in a league built on parity he never will. Of course, he has the misfortune of working for the most inept, mediocre professional sports team in the world.

Well I wish to hell we had him in Buffalo.  He would win there

Your record is who you are.  The Lions haven't won a 4 team division in 24 years.  They wasted 10 years of Barry Sanders, 10 years of Calvin Johnson, and soon 10 years of Mathew Stafford.  I just feel sorry for my two friends, who have been season ticket holders since 1938 & 1969 respectively.  They deserve much better.  

As for Stafford, he's hard to judge.  Elway never won shit without a running game, and Stafford won't either.  Look at Prescott...it's tough to judge if he's truly taken a step back from last year when other teams no longer have to respect your running game.

As for Abdullah, it's tough for a quarterback to succeed when it's constantly 2nd & 14.  He also never runs between the tackles and he's useless at the goal line and short yardage situations.  They are carrying Abdullah and Riddick on their roster when their abilities are mirror images of each other, and neither can get a yard for you when it's really needed.

I'm done with Caldwell.  He's a nice and honorable man, but bull-headed.  He wants to play power football with a finesse team.

I know it seats 90k +, but there sure were a lot of empty seats in the Coliseum for a young team that's winning. 

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

Your record is who you are.  The Lions haven't won a 4 team division in 24 years.  They wasted 10 years of Barry Sanders, 10 years of Calvin Johnson, and soon 10 years of Mathew Stafford.  I just feel sorry for my two friends, who have been season ticket holders since 1938 & 1969 respectively.  They deserve much better.  

As for Stafford, he's hard to judge.  Elway never won shit without a running game, and Stafford won't either.  Look at Prescott...it's tough to judge if he's truly taken a step back from last year when other teams no longer have to respect your running game.

As for Abdullah, it's tough for a quarterback to succeed when it's constantly 2nd & 14.  He also never runs between the tackles and he's useless at the goal line and short yardage situations.  They are carrying Abdullah and Riddick on their roster when their abilities are mirror images of each other, and neither can get a yard for you when it's really needed.

I'm done with Caldwell.  He's a nice and honorable man, but bull-headed.  He wants to play power football with a finesse team.

I know it seats 90k +, but there sure were a lot of empty seats in the Coliseum for a young team that's winning. 

Yes your buddies do deserve better.  I had thought when Rogers went down the door was open for the Lions but the Vikings woke up for once in a few decades.  Not since the days of the Purple people eaters have they truly been a team to fear.  I always thought they should have stayed outdoors in the cold weather as it was one of their strengths playing in that miserable weather. The Lions are in Buffalo next year.  So much for a Thanksgiving game for us.  Stafford is a fine QB IMO.  Not sure who the Bills QB will be for that one?  Likely a rookie that we draft?  If we trade up as I expect we may?  We have a lot of good picks for once.  And i love the job this new GM has done with this past draft and FA.  This rookie cornerback White who sealed the deal in KC yesterday on the interception has really been great.  I think Brady will be surprised by our new secondary.  We need to pressure him, but if we can have Matthews healthy and better yet get Benjamin back in the lineup, we can win this game. 

How long before Cowboy fans yell for Dak to be benched and get a look at the backup?

San Francisco might have had a chance to beat the Seahawks if they had started Jimmy Garoppolo from the beginning. Or, given San Francisco's pathetic O-line, it would have been Garoppolo getting hurt.

Andy Reid usually waits until the playoffs to do his pratfall. Kansas City is collapsing early.

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

The Coliseum seats 90,000 plus for USC games and World Cup matches, but since the NFL returned to the Coliseum, the Rams cap ticket sales at 65,000. Most of those empty seats you see aren't even in play.

It makes sense because I hear the new stadium capacity will be roughly 65,000-70,000 when it opens next year.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

San Francisco might have had a chance to beat the Seahawks if they had started Jimmy Garoppolo from the beginning. Or, given San Francisco's pathetic O-line, it would have been Garoppolo getting hurt.

Best play of the game for SF was the first play by Seattle.

GO RAMS!!

3 hours ago, Strider said:

How long before Cowboy fans yell for Dak to be benched and get a look at the backup?

Only if they’re morons...

Need better coaching first and foremost.  The young guys haven’t come along as expected.  Injuries/suspension to key players.  Dak is holding on for dear life.  We need a #1 receiver while Dez still has some life, develop a tight end younger than 35, and get the defense more depth.  Lots of needs, but a new qb isn’t one of them.

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Need better coaching first and foremost.  The young guys haven’t come along as expected.  Injuries/suspension to key players.  Dak is holding on for dear life.  We need a #1 receiver while Dez still has some life, develop a tight end younger than 35, and get the defense more depth.  Lots of needs, but a new qb isn’t one of them.

Fully agreed.

15 hours ago, Walter said:

The suspension sure took a domino effect on them.  I am pretty shocked that Washington and Dallas is a pick game.  Well, I have to bite.  I had Buffalo and Arizona straight up on the money line so I am in good shape.  Given the injuries and suspension its too much to overcome and one receiver is not enough.  I wonder how that Eagles at Seahawks game is going to turn out?  And of course, I am hoping the defense Buffalo put on the field the first 7 games and vs KC shows up vs Brady.  If they do, they can make it tough for him to find open receivers.  I expect them to double team Gronk and hammer him off the line.  Baltimore escaped to for now they have the second wild card but its far from over.  I sure hope we can steal this NE game.  Eagles at Rams will be another game to look forward to.  The Chargers have Cleveland so they should be holding first place after Sunday in the West.  Go Bills!!  Go Rams!!!

5 hours ago, Walter said:

I'm sick about it, but if we finish 5-11 and get a top 10 pick, it’ll be worth it in the long run.  

Well, the other argument is that, if we win out, 10-6 would put us well in the running for the 6th spot. But, we do have to win them all to have any chance. How we look on Thursday will determine a lot - if we can't handle the 'Skins at home, even depleted, we don't deserve anything.

I just can't see us losing the rest - our O-line and Sean Lee will eventually be healthy again (and Elliott will be back for the last couple of games). Once that happens, we'll beat some of the teams we have left. I'm hoping we finish 10-6, but more likely we'll be hovering around .500.

More motivation for next year - we have a good nucleus, but we need better D-backs too (in addition to the already chronicled deficiencies)...

First time in a long time the Bills have played a meaningful game vs NE this late in the season.  NE is a pass first team and that is what the Bills must hope  for.  Brady has not seen a secondary in Buffalo that is this good, EVER.  Hyde, Poyer, Wright and most of all the sensational rookie White can cover the best of them, as they did in Atlanta.  The game we got massacred in was the New Orleans game and they did not have one single TD pass.  Its the run defense that is the Bills biggest problem and they showed up vs KC.  NE does not run that much.  We need to hit Gronk off the line.  On the other side, we have to go after their secondary and Gilmore. But I am not sure if Benjamin is ready yet?  Jordan Matthews has to be a bit healthier I am hoping.  McCoy needs a big day, and the TV guys are all saying the Bills have a shot in this game but are too scared to pick them outright.  A loss does not eliminate us  by any means.  But a win would be huge. I am hoping the Lions beat Baltimore .  Also hoping Houston knocks off Tennessee.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:54 PM, ForEvermore said:

Well, the other argument is that, if we win out, 10-6 would put us well in the running for the 6th spot. But, we do have to win them all to have any chance. How we look on Thursday will determine a lot - if we can't handle the 'Skins at home, even depleted, we don't deserve anything.

I just can't see us losing the rest - our O-line and Sean Lee will eventually be healthy again (and Elliott will be back for the last couple of games). Once that happens, we'll beat some of the teams we have left. I'm hoping we finish 10-6, but more likely we'll be hovering around .500.

More motivation for next year - we have a good nucleus, but we need better D-backs too (in addition to the already chronicled deficiencies)...

Good gosh a-mighty - we won a game! :)

The new rotation for D-backs seems to be the way forward - they were actually good tonight! The O-line (and D-line) dominated tonight too. We allegedly get Sean Lee back for next game too. All we're missing then is Elliott. We still need help from teams above us to sneak into the playoffs though.

One step at a time...

On 11/29/2017 at 2:17 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

First time in a long time the Bills have played a meaningful game vs NE this late in the season.  NE is a pass first team and that is what the Bills must hope  for.  Brady has not seen a secondary in Buffalo that is this good, EVER.  Hyde, Poyer, Wright and most of all the sensational rookie White can cover the best of them, as they did in Atlanta.  The game we got massacred in was the New Orleans game and they did not have one single TD pass.  Its the run defense that is the Bills biggest problem and they showed up vs KC.  NE does not run that much.  We need to hit Gronk off the line.  On the other side, we have to go after their secondary and Gilmore. But I am not sure if Benjamin is ready yet?  Jordan Matthews has to be a bit healthier I am hoping.  McCoy needs a big day, and the TV guys are all saying the Bills have a shot in this game but are too scared to pick them outright.  A loss does not eliminate us  by any means.  But a win would be huge. I am hoping the Lions beat Baltimore .  Also hoping Houston knocks off Tennessee.

Which of course means New England will come out and run the ball 27 straight times down Buffalo's throat. 😜

Archived