Backstage rehearsal, Japan 72

gibsonfan159

SAJ or Sam can probably fill you in, IIRC this wasn't backstage, it was at a music store or something. (or restaurant?)  I can imagine the thought balloons (ug, this bass sucks,ug this guitar, ug this kit sucks, lol) Wonder where Robert's at? Blowing harp off camera maybe?

51 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

SAJ or Sam can probably fill you in, IIRC this wasn't backstage, it was at a music store or something. (or restaurant?)  I can imagine the thought balloons (ug, this bass sucks,ug this guitar, ug this kit sucks, lol) Wonder where Robert's at? Blowing harp off camera maybe?

Ah, that explains the Japanese knock off guitars lol. Thanks.

it was a small club and they just gigged with the gear from a local band. Japan guitars always have been (and still are!)superbly crafted; Aria, Yamaha,  Ibanez, Greco,...all great instruments. The 72 Japan tour pamphlets stated Zeppelin 'no use Greco'.B)

I doubt Plant was taking the photo...a lot of the Japan 71 pics from the photobook show them clutching newly acquired Nikons  (photo and 8mm camera's.)... but the pics in question were taken by a Japanese photographer

2 hours ago, duckman said:

it was a small club and they just gigged with the gear from a local band. Japan guitars always have been (and still are!)superbly crafted; Aria, Yamaha,  Ibanez, Greco,...all great instruments. The 72 Japan tour pamphlets stated Zeppelin 'no use Greco'.B)

I doubt Plant was taking the photo...a lot of the Japan 71 pics from the photobook show them clutching newly acquired Nikons  (photo and 8mm camera's.)... but the pics in question were taken by a Japanese photographer

Bonham's clothing matches what he wore to the Hiroshima Heiwa Kouen Park on 9/27. However, according to my notes they took the train to Osaka following their Hiroshima show that afternoon. Additionally, Jimmy never mentioned any Hiroshima jam when he returned to Hiroshima Heiwa Kouen Park in 2015. So it could have been anywhere at anytime while in Japan in from 9/19 (arrival date) to 10/8 (departure date) 1971. I do show that JPJ jammed on 'Green Onions' with a local band in Kyoto on 9/25. Photographer is most likely Koh Hasebe, who was on assignment for Music Life magazine to cover their tour on and offstage.

"They wanted to see the Atomic Dome, but otherwise they were in Japan to party. They just wanted to do shows and hang out. They would bring loads of chicks back to their rooms. They got down to business when they performed though. Who knows what they were up to backstage, but their concerts were tight." —Koh Hasebe

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So this is 71?

Cearly Sept. 1971, during their first visit to Japan. Easily to identify by Jones` haircut & Bonham`s Jeans-outfit. This photo and about 10 others from Japan 71 were printed in the "HM Photobook". The book features pictures of various rockbands. on & offstage in Japan during the seventies and early eighties. I bought it about 30 years ago, solely because of the few LZ and Deep Purple pictures, the rest is Scorpions & other clowns.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Sep/Oct 1971. All the concerts were in Sep, but the Oct 8, 1971 departure stamp in Jimmy's passport affirms they also enjoyed a week off in Japan.

According to the "On this day" feature, at least Jimmy took off for Thailand on September 30, 1971:

What I'd like to know is where are the rest of the photos from the Japan tour?  Anyone have any rare ones?  All I've seen are the same 20-30 photos, mostly offstage shots attributed to Koh Hasebe. I assume that there he must have shot hundreds of photos while he was with the band.

22 minutes ago, pluribus said:

What I'd like to know is where are the rest of the photos from the Japan tour?  Anyone have any rare ones?  All I've seen are the same 20-30 photos, mostly offstage shots attributed to Koh Hasebe. I assume that there he must have shot hundreds of photos while he was with the band.

Good point. Is he still around? Perhaps someone in the know could ask him? 🤔

15 hours ago, pluribus said:

According to the "On this day" feature, at least Jimmy took off for Thailand on September 30, 1971:

Glad to see this, which I thought I had referenced instead of Led Zeppelin Celebration II, which states Oct 8th. More to the point, it narrows the possible dates for the photo to Sep 19-30 1971. 

Koh Hasebe did make a public appearance in Jan 2016, but I do not have contact information for him to inquire if it was he who took the shot.

http://www.tokyoartbeat.com/event/2016/C207.en

On ‎2018‎年‎2‎月‎4‎日 at 7:29 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

An untitled pic from a photobook featuring their 1972 tour in Japan. Any more information on this?

Zep backstage 1.jpg

This pic was taken at a club called "Saturday" in Kyoto, Japan on Sep 25, 1971 by Koh Hasebe.
They had a jam session on borrowed instruments for 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, Yurix said:

This pic was taken at a club called "Saturday" in Kyoto, Japan on Sep 25, 1971 by Koh Hasebe.
They had a jam session on borrowed instruments for 40 minutes.

Thanks for the info! Always wondered when/where that photo was taken.

On 5.2.2018 at 3:21 AM, SteveAJones said:

Sep/Oct 1971. All the concerts were in Sep, but the Oct 8, 1971 departure stamp in Jimmy's passport affirms they also enjoyed a week off in Japan.

Robert Plant gave the answer to how long they stayed in Japan right at their 71 gigs. If I remember correctly, he basically said:

First gig, 23. Sept. Budokan Tokyo. in the short break between Immigrant Song & Heartbreaker, due to Jimmy`s broken string:

" .......and we spent two (sic) weeks in glorious Japan, which was simply wonderful, and we haven`t even played a gig yet......."

Last gig, 29. Sept. Osaka- I think in the last third of the gig:

"..... and tomorrow we should be back home in England, oh dear" (with approving  mumble of Bonzo in the background)

So I think they flew directly from Hawai to Japan and had a week off to relax, before the tour started on the 23. Sept., and the left on the 30. Sept., RP, JB & JPJ to England & Jimmy to conquer Asia.

Archived