Peter Grant T-Shirt Question

ZepFan73

Hi,

I just got the new collector's edition of "The Song Remains the Same." I have a question about one of the clips on the bonus DVD. In one clip, Robert Plant and Peter Grant are being interviewed while on a boat cruising down the Thames River. In the clip, Peter Grant is wearing a white t-shirt that reads "In for a quick garden." Can someone please tell me what that means? Is that a British quip of some sort? :huh:

Thanks!

Hi,

I just got the new collector's edition of "The Song Remains the Same." I have a question about one of the clips on the bonus DVD. In one clip, Robert Plant and Peter Grant are being interviewed while on a boat cruising down the Thames River. In the clip, Peter Grant is wearing a white t-shirt that reads "In for a quick garden." Can someone please tell me what that means? Is that a British quip of some sort? :huh:

Thanks!

As I recall, yes. A bit of gardening. Some Americans misunderstand it to mean in for a quick Madison Square Garden, which is not correct.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hi,

Thanks!

Im pretty sure its just a funny shirt taking off on actual gardening..."in for a quick garden" would mean im here to do some quick gardening.

Yeah unless someone comes up with a convincing story otherwise,

then I am pretty sure this is just a silly play on words.

People go

".. in for a quick drink" to the pub,

or

".. in for a quick swim" to the pool, etc

Obviously gardening is an odd word because nobody ever says "I'm going for a garden"

it just sounds silly. It is almost always used in the gerund form, i.e. -ING

You say drinking, and, go for a drink,

swimming, and, go for a swim,

playing, and, go outside and play,

So "In for a quick garden" is just a silly sentence.

There was a motorbike race once,

one of the riders lost his line and went off the track,

after tearing up the grass for a while he managed to get it back on course .

The commentator said, "... he rejoins the race after 150 yards of frantic gardening!"

Sorry, not a word of Zeppelin expertise involved in this post! :blush:

Sorry, not a word of Zeppelin expertise involved in this post! :blush:

You said "a silly sentence" and I immediately thought of Monty Python. It was around this time that Peter had provided financial support to the film 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail". I know that particular line is not in the film, but it does sound Pythonesque.

Perhaps it was a gag gift he got from them for Christmas or something.

Peter wore a t-shirt one day in the mid-70s. Three decades later, a legion of fans were left to wonder "what did it mean"? There will NEVER be another band like Led Zeppelin!

I hear: "...let me wander IN your Garden......." :whistling:

...followed by talk of seeds of love, so clearly that was a sexual entendre. As was Robert's "Nurses Do It Better" t-shirt worn onstage in Oakland, 1977.

Peter Grant's t-shirt is something quite different altogether, I would say.

Edited by SteveAJones

You said "a silly sentence" and I immediately thought of Monty Python. It was around this time that Peter had provided financial support to the film 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail". I know that particular line is not in the film, but it does sound Pythonesque.

Perhaps it was a gag gift he got from them for Christmas or something.

Peter wore a t-shirt one day in the mid-70s. Three decades later, a legion of fans were left to wonder "what did it mean"? There will NEVER be another band like Led Zeppelin!

Ah, Monty Python, the ministry of silly sentences! :lol:

My ghast has never been so flabbered!

It turns out, that t-shirt was recalled by at least one current rock band.

In for a quick garden, album by Midline.

Had a quick listen on their myspace just now. A bit Audioslave what I heard. They are from Idaho just in case anyone is interested. ;)

It turns out, that t-shirt was recalled by at least one current rock band.

In for a quick garden, album by Midline.

Had a quick listen on their myspace just now. A bit Audioslave what I heard. They are from Idaho just in case anyone is interested. ;)

Aware of that also, but as many Americans do they misinterpreted or appropriated it to mean the MSG.

Zep were not in for a quick MSG, they played three nights!

Edited by SteveAJones

B)

All,

Thanks for the replies to my posting about that Peter Grant t-shirt. I'm not sure if I got a definite answer to what "In for a quick garden" really means, but it's obviously sexual. I hope someone can chime in and solve this mystery! ;)

the answer is very british (what do gardeners do to their gardens) ...... they FERTILIZE ... nice one mr grant, you will not be forgotten..

Its the only shirt that would fit my bloody ash you silly cnt!! :D

I realize that you are trying to be funny with the silly cnt thing. I hope. A word of advice to you. Look around the board and you will see that we are all friends here. Try to get to know people before you joke like that.

• 3 years later...

I just stumbled on this thread again, and I thought I should mention.

I am seriously considering getting a small number of shirts made like this.

Only in Large X-Large and XX-Large of course.

I already did the font and am confident of it being a really good reproduction.

The question is do you think anybody would be willing to buy one.

I think I can keep the cost down to £10 plus P&P if I do a run of 20

I did this with the Bonham TSRTS tee shirt and sold out in a week. I'm still selling them on ebay although I only sell about five or six a month on average.

Im pretty sure its just a funny shirt taking off on actual gardening..."in for a quick garden" would mean im here to do some quick gardening.

I just realized something - they were tax exiles when that interview was filmed so their stay in the UK would have been brief. Clever!

I did this with the Bonham TSRTS tee shirt and sold out in a week. I'm still selling them on ebay although I only sell about five or six a month on average.

I'm really interested by that! Could you show me a picture of one t-shirt, please?