First Music Videos

apantherfrommd

This is a contest. 1964 Song video. Any released earlier or at the same time?

This was made a cartoon video later (the one you see here). I know there has got to me more than listed in MTV. 

Edit to say: Reward goes out to the earliest going back to What Is The Earliest Rock Video of the 1960's

Edited by apantherfrommd

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0058182/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

A Hard Days Night (1964) is a series of conceptual music videos (Richard Lester directed) put together and filmed over a few days.  Studied this back in film school and many film critics use this as one of their go-to’s for many reasons. 

R😎

Edited by reids

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I believe the contest is limited to promotional music videos (no television performances).

I should have posted the video of traveling man by Rick Nelson instead.

"1961, after integrating his son Ricky Nelson's musical performances into the television program The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet for several episodes, Ozzie Nelson created a stand-alone video for the song "Travelin' Man," superimposing travelogue footage over a performance. His intention was to promote Ricky's records; the video aired in April and the song hit #1 a month later."

So by the OP's description, the contest is limited to early '60s, however unless it was shot on video rather than film, most of the stuff including the Flintstones are not specifically music "videos".

Edited by kipper

In England do they spell it as Lead Belly or as "Led Belly"?  I heard over there they sometimes will say lead as the double long e sound (leed) when they read some words spelled  l-e-a-d.  Which I think I read is why they called Zep 'Led Zeppelin'  instead of Lead Zeppelin---borrowing off of Keith Moon's comment about him possibly leaving The Who to join Page's project, as it would have "gone over like a lead zeppelin".

I have also wondered about the phrase "lead foot" as we describe a driver who likes to drive heavy into the throttle/accelerator peddle here in North America. In England I wonder if they spell it as "led foot" or does the saying not translate over there the same way? Maybe confusing the saying as the foot which would be put forward first over the other foot and in the LEAD but not about it being heavy (as in heavy footed).

Somewhere I have packed away a Lead Belly 78rpm that I bought 40 years ago at a swap meet.

Edited by kipper