EVH and Jimmy Page

weapon2010

Also Jimmy always praised Eddy, Jimmy even said in one interview he tried to play like Eddie, but couldn’t. Interestingly enough he

had a lot of insight about Eddie’s style, he said it sounded like Eddie had classical piano training, a very adept Mr.Page. Either Jimmy was playing a in joke or something but Jimmy claimed he only first heard of Eddie in 1983. I don’t care how wasted for years on end Jimmy was, nobody ever played Van Halen or one of Eddie’s volcanic solos for Jimmy ?? Hysterical. On a side note, Eddie

was a big Clapton fan while in Cream, but said his own style was far more reckless and more Pagelike.Although Eddie thought Jimmy was too sloppy live, but was excellent in the studio.

5 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Also Jimmy always praised Eddy, Jimmy even said in one interview he tried to play like Eddie, but couldn’t. Interestingly enough he

had a lot of insight about Eddie’s style, he said it sounded like Eddie had classical piano training, a very adept Mr.Page. Either Jimmy was playing a in joke or something but Jimmy claimed he only first heard of Eddie in 1983. I don’t care how wasted for years on end Jimmy was, nobody ever played Van Halen or one of Eddie’s volcanic solos for Jimmy ?? Hysterical. On a side note, Eddie

was a big Clapton fan while in Cream, but said his own style was far more reckless and more Pagelike.Although Eddie thought Jimmy was too sloppy live, but was excellent in the studio.

I bet Eddie changed his opinion of live Jimmy post 1993. IMO 1992 - 2000 had Jimmy the most consistent of his whole career including Zeppelin. To elaborate, this period of performing (93'-2000') was Jimmy at his most precise, clean, and executed playing of his career. He played much more adventurously in Zep, and reached greater heights overall though.

I kinda look at the Page & Plant tours as what Zeppelin would have been more like if Page indulged less on tour and focused on his playing. I also think there would not have been 30 minute marathon songs with improv abound either. Its always a trade off but Page put the "he is sloppy live" crap to bed after 1992 without any doubt.

Edited by Mr.Bones

10 hours ago, Mr.Bones said:

I bet Eddie changed his opinion of live Jimmy post 1993. IMO 1992 - 2000 had Jimmy the most consistent of his whole career including Zeppelin. To elaborate, this period of performing (93'-2000') was Jimmy at his most precise, clean, and executed playing of his career. He played much more adventurously in Zep, and reached greater heights overall though.

I wonder if when Eddie made those comments about Page's live playing if Eddie had heard the BBC sessions including 1971.  He most likely had not heard Supershow, Danish TV, or Royal Albert Hall 1970.  Page's playing in all those gigs is razor sharp and very adventurous/fluid/creative etc etc.  And even with all the edits in the official releases, Page in 1972 and 1973 was razor sharp, and even more adventurous and creative.  Or just listen to the Europe 73 bootlegs.  Page's live playing did not really begin to suffer until 1975.  As exhibit A, watch the Danish TV HMMT solo and see if he played anything that clean  or precise or executed in the 90s.  The 90s were great, but still a shadow of Jimmy in his 1969-73 prime, not just on the "creative" level but also the execution level.   Or go to Stairway BBC 1971, or really anything on BBC 1971.

Edited by John M

6 hours ago, jsj said:

I think the EVH statement on Pages sloppiness was in relation to the 77 tour, which he’d seen. Didn’t he say it was like watching a baby with a broken hand playing? Something like that

Could be, but Page's playing at the LA gigs was damn fine for the most part. Maybe he caught the Zep in Tempe?

6 hours ago, jsj said:

I think the EVH statement on Pages sloppiness was in relation to the 77 tour, which he’d seen. Didn’t he say it was like watching a baby with a broken hand playing? Something like that

I actually asked this question on a previous thread almost two years, did not receive a clear answer.  The consensus seemed to be that EVH would have had the opportunity to see Zep live in SoCal on several occasions in the 70's, so I guess we don't know what specific show he could have been referring to.  Even in his prime, Page was probably too sloppy for someone like EVH's liking, but the broken fingers comment is just ridiculous.  Even in '77 (in LA at least) Page was never that bad.

17 hours ago, jsj said:

I think the EVH statement on Pages sloppiness was in relation to the 77 tour,

Is it plausible that a young EVH had not seen the movie TSRTS?  It was released in October 1976.  I can't imagine young guitar players not watching it.

Now maybe a player like EVH thought things like Page's "smear" technique were "sloppy", like the intro to SIBLY?  But Page plays so many incredible clean and precise things in that movie it boggles the mind.

Edited by John M

On 10/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

The consensus seemed to be that EVH would have had the opportunity to see Zep live in SoCal on several occasions in the 70's, so I guess we don't know what specific show he could have been referring to. 

EVH stated himself he saw them in 72 at the Forum and that he picked up his tapping technique from watching Page doing the heartbreaker solo. Now whether or not that's the same show he's also criticizing Page's playing, I don't know. But, anyone who knows Eddie's personality and mannerisms knows he criticized a lot of things in general. Eddie always seemed to have a giant chip on his shoulder to me.

• 1 month later...

Right, 72’ for sure,  yet it’s not clear what shows exactly Eddie saw. 77’, even the good to great shows, there are still patches where Jimmy doesn’t hit the full chord, some notes

don’t ring clearly, etc. Think first impressions......not many 77’ shows does Jimmy pull off the solos well in TSRTS. Maybe out of tune a bit, but not a good way to start. Especially

to other musicians. I agree that Eddie has a chip on his shoulder, but as good as Van Halen could be live, Zep was a lot more broad and adventurous live. Eddie was adventurous, but

the rest of the band was pretty good, not virtuosos 

• 3 weeks later...

If EVH had a chip on his shoulder it was because he wasn’t an only child and doted on that came of age during the Golden Age of rock n roll. In addition he preferred Clapton - which may be a more fruitful debate for this forum. Heartbreaker solo in the studio is sloppy - by design or not. One thing I will die on my sword for is that EVH & JPP are the two most FEARLESS rock guitarists of all-time. No one else was as aggressive to the point of recklessness in their playing & as a result I love them both completely as players.

Edited by GGreen23