Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
weapon2010

EVH and Jimmy Page

Also Jimmy always praised Eddy, Jimmy even said in one interview he tried to play like Eddie, but couldn’t. Interestingly enough he

had a lot of insight about Eddie’s style, he said it sounded like Eddie had classical piano training, a very adept Mr.Page. Either Jimmy was playing a in joke or something but Jimmy claimed he only first heard of Eddie in 1983. I don’t care how wasted for years on end Jimmy was, nobody ever played Van Halen or one of Eddie’s volcanic solos for Jimmy ?? Hysterical. On a side note, Eddie

was a big Clapton fan while in Cream, but said his own style was far more reckless and more Pagelike.Although Eddie thought Jimmy was too sloppy live, but was excellent in the studio.

5 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Also Jimmy always praised Eddy, Jimmy even said in one interview he tried to play like Eddie, but couldn’t. Interestingly enough he

had a lot of insight about Eddie’s style, he said it sounded like Eddie had classical piano training, a very adept Mr.Page. Either Jimmy was playing a in joke or something but Jimmy claimed he only first heard of Eddie in 1983. I don’t care how wasted for years on end Jimmy was, nobody ever played Van Halen or one of Eddie’s volcanic solos for Jimmy ?? Hysterical. On a side note, Eddie

was a big Clapton fan while in Cream, but said his own style was far more reckless and more Pagelike.Although Eddie thought Jimmy was too sloppy live, but was excellent in the studio.

I bet Eddie changed his opinion of live Jimmy post 1993. IMO 1992 - 2000 had Jimmy the most consistent of his whole career including Zeppelin. To elaborate, this period of performing (93'-2000') was Jimmy at his most precise, clean, and executed playing of his career. He played much more adventurously in Zep, and reached greater heights overall though.

I kinda look at the Page & Plant tours as what Zeppelin would have been more like if Page indulged less on tour and focused on his playing. I also think there would not have been 30 minute marathon songs with improv abound either. Its always a trade off but Page put the "he is sloppy live" crap to bed after 1992 without any doubt.

Edited by Mr.Bones