Great Books about music or bands

MOJO

A great book: Precious M by Henry Wojturski

Writers digest called:

A rock-n-roll romance with a twist. A look into the hard, wild world of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. A realistic look into the life of working musicians.

Q 104.3 NY's classic rock radio station called: A stereotypical view of rock-n-roll. The author

so alot of passion for his characters. A great read.

http://precious-m.tripod.com

Not including any Zep books, I still recommend these:

I Me Mine - George Harrison

No Commercial Potential - David Walley (section on early Zappa and the scene he was a part of is interesting)

A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones - Greenfield

The Beatles - Hunter Davies

Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History of the Mississippi Delta - Robert Palmer

The Age of Rock - Eisen

We have an entire shelf of music and rock books and I know I've omitted many here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

14495162.JPG

For those that are interested.... this 992 page tome is now available at Barnes & Noble. ( I got it at an after-Holiday Sale fro just $7.98....but the sale is now over...)

I particularly enjoyed reading about The Beatles first meeting with Bob Dylan in 1964 in NYC. You know, where Dylan got the Boys to go "Herbal", instead of Pharamacuetical..

Check it out!

51GQSD3X5DL._AA240_.jpg

I have a very early edition of the Harmony Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock n' Roll (not the one depicted above) with Pink Floyd on the cover. I picked up an edition or two after the first copy I found in the late 70s but none seemed to be as good as the first. As you might suspect, a huge problem with these type of tomes is staying up to date with all the latest info concerning releases, shifting band lineups, break ups, etc. The first edition has it's share of mistakes but it seems like subsquent editions began to fail miserably on this front, as if some of them hadn't been proofread at all. That said, the first edtion (though now severely outdated) is well worth seeking out. It's a British publication and in that sense is a bit slighted towards the coverage of U.K. artists but overall, it is one of the best rock n' roll reference books I have ever had the pleasure to read.

I'll tell you one you really don't want to read. Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. The whole book is essentially about all the blow jobs he got and all the times he got to cop a feel in high school. Riveting stuff not so much. :P

Right.... I actually never liked the RHCP. I never saw what all the "fuss" was about. They were 3rd on the bill for a Metallica/Gun&Roses show I saw in the 90's.... YAWN . . .

But, if I ever need the druggie son of a druggie father to tell me about life....I know where to go !

73540_lg.jpg

Haha yeah. I actually do like them, but Anthony Kiedis has no discernable musical talent. The rest of the guys can really play their instruments, though. Too bad they don't have a good vocalist.

I like John Frusciante's solo stuff. He should be the vocalist. Even Flea would be better.

Archived