Nitpicking Page 1971

gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 8/31/1971 Orlando, FL (Source mix)

47175020_10156807547874709_1838779867122892800_n.png.501d2604b5e0f230d8b3f32aedc4fa0e.pngnut2.jpg.b9f26160d6cd0eb6ef2d4573d1f96126.jpgthiccbass.jpg.dcbe7a3aa53d87af9da2e8ea0ea37957.jpgWellgoddamn.jpg.be7b446972145199f9cb62f2fe977b41.jpg1763313860_URhoJrEYpY618S5JQCZnGCeOx5_iMmercVVd-RHD6ND8TN1TRZY98MyOvH24UwY4GjO78OksOAfUEzhIjwh5JqHxI-HGS68-YElqYvQMgsZgIJ4AEcyB4_chAOthpUE_H-Fa9YNgw600-h315-p-k.jpg.ee183563b8224de3cc056f3ea0e75e4d.jpg

Soundboard patched with a distant audience source. Previous versions of this bootleg has "Organ solo/Thank You" which turns out is actually a SBD from the Hollywood, FL show. 

Immigrant Song- Page does some nice crunchy warm up riffs before starting. Plant's opening wails may not be peak vocals but the emphasis he's putting on them makes up for it, literally shaking the mic as he screams. This one is pure energy with Bonzo beat his drums to death. 1:50, Plant feeling great tonight. Solo- Some steady warmup phrasing to start. 2:58, kicking into a higher gear. Not exactly shred mode but the phrasing is well done. "A+" just for the enthusiasm.

Heartbreaker- Excellent energy and Robert sounds good. Bonham also throwing in some nasty drum fills. Solo- the first rockabilly section appears, which is played well. The smear section is perfectly raunchy, though a tad stickier than usual. Bouree is good. Up-tempo section- Page sounds a little hesitant to let go but keeps a steady flow of phrasing going. Not the most impressive solo. "B+".

SIBLY- Page changes the intro phrasing up just slightly. Solo- Page plays steady phrasing throughout with perfect emotion. Nothing mind blowing but it's a perfectly executed solo. Plant returns with a decent scream, though he gets a bit scratchy towards the end. A very solid version. "A". 

Dazed- Bonham feeling playful on the intro. Plant still putting extra emotion into the vocals. First workout is very short. Bow section lasts 6 minutes. Second workout- 11:35, Page hits a rough spot and the phrasing gets a little off. He gets back on track for more steady phrasing, mixing in rhythmic licks between lead runs. 14:30, experimental phrases. Mars is played decently and the climax hits good. 18:11, phrasing mixup. The outro is exciting as the four push each other in a musical standoff to see who goes the longest. 21:32, Page dabbles with some White Summer phrasing. I've heard better versions from Page but this one is no slouch, just rough around the edges. "A-".

Black Dog- 0:36, Page a little late. Bonham doing extra foot work throughout. 1:54, Bonham dropping out for a second. 2:00, lyric flub. Solo- 4:34, phrasing hang up. Exciting soloing but not the most fluid phrasing by Jim. 5:00, Jones thinking this was the end. A few flubs on this one though Bonzo's foot work really stands out. "B".

Stairway- 0:37, Jim plays some different notes here that sound oddly fitting. Very solid verses. Solo- some of the best phrasing to start I've heard, with Jim nailing every little bend with perfect emphasis. 7:05, one barely noticeable off note. Beautiful finish. Robert sounds decent on the climax and the voice crack on "Lady" is actually in key lol. Outro sounds good. One of the best versions thus far. "A+".

Celebration Day- Page doing some warmup riffing before launching. Unfortunately we get the aud source at this point. Verses sound great with amazing energy. First solo- perfect. Outro- hard to make out but sounds like clean playing all around. Arguably the most solid version yet. "A+".

That's The Way- A more relaxed feel this time. Sounds good throughout with Plant putting excellent emotion into the lyrics. "A".

GTC- Solid version. "A". (Jim teases "You really got me" before the next number)

WIAWSNB- Good start. 0:46, tape cut. 1:35, soundboard returns. Solo- a little loose but Jimmy hangs on. 3:09, tiny guitar flub. Rob's vocals cracking some on the final measures. "B+".

MD- A dynamic performance though I don't hear anything too impressive from John this time around. Some of his triplets are very loose and lazy sounding

WLL- More heavy warmup riffing. Verses sounding good. The theremin takes a while to come in on the freakout and someone is mysteriously playing Jones' Rhodes piano. Solo- good. Boogie Chillen- 6:07, Plant tells a stage invader "That's far enough" and calls for roadie Clive Coulson. Solo- flawless playing from Jim. 8:55, changes up to some rockabilly phrasing before jumping to some blazing leads. 9:33, Plant gets lost before finally starting the "My Baby Left Me" lyrics. Mess Of Blues- very slow tempo. Solo- Page breaks out the slide for some very sloppy playing. 14:58, thankfully he tosses it for the final phrases. 16:18, Page experimenting with an interesting riff. Unfortunately the recording ends here. 

Final Assessment- One might say A for enthusiasm and B for execution with this show. Certainly some loose spots but the overall performances are full of vigor. Plant and Bonham are both feeling their oats but Page seems to be a little distracted in places. The main highlight to me is the first confident sounding Celebration Day. The acoustic numbers are also very solid as usual and the Stairway solo is very near perfect. The recording stopping on WLL is a heartbreaker because I'm sure Page went ape on a version of You Shook Me or something similar. 

Are we 100% sure that the version of Thank You that's been on the Orlando board for years is really from Hollywood?  When I listened to the audience source over the holidays, Thank You was cut very short, it didn't go into the solo.  Maybe I screwed up the download, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a random song from a Hollywood board has been on an Orlando board for 20+ years.  And where's the rest of the Hollywood board?  Doesn't make sense.

Nitpicking Page 9/1/1971 Hollywood, FL (On The Diamond Of The Gold Coast- DOD liberation)

image0.jpg.5c1fdc03de0674159200af1c0c064b6e.jpg

This audience recording starts out murky with some fluctuations but clears up as it goes along. Might require some slight bootleg ears. 

Immigrant Song- After a false start Bonzo recounts and starts again. Plant's opening screams not overly impressive, but not terrible. Verses sound good. Solo- some warm up noodling leads to some more nimble fingered licks. Jim's very patient with this one but the phrasing is well done. Not a bad start but there's a lack of energy. "A-".

Heartbreaker- Solid verses. Solo- 3:12, Jim changes up the rockabilly phrasing a bit. Smear section is perfectly raunchy, not too sloppy. Bouree sounds rushed. Fast section- steady phrasing throughout as Jim stays on the path nicely. Plant sounding strong on the return. "A".

SIBLY- Bonham with excellent footwork on the intro as Jim plays some delicate lead guitar. Very nice start. Plant sounding decent so far though extremely reserved. Solo- playing steadily, not overdoing anything. Solid phrasing. 6:48, Plant missing that one a bit. Not one of Plant's better vocal performances but it's still fairly good otherwise. Just a little too casual sounding. "B+".

Black Dog- Verses sounding good with enthusiasm from Rob. Plant's pre solo scream is good. Solo- recording is murky but sounds like Jim again keeps to more steady, slightly reserved playing. He focuses more on big bends and less on fast runs. An average run through. "A-".

Dazed- Average start with some tape issues. First workout is short. Bow section goes on for six minutes. Tape issue as the second workout begins, with audio fluctuations throughout. 10:37, a decent air raid from Plant. Page seems to be playing well but the tape issues make it a tough assessment. Mars sounds good. The climax is played well as Plant sings with excellent enthusiasm on the final verses. Page doesn't seem to get anything going for the outro jam. Hard to rate but I'd guess "A-".

Stairway- Tape issues continue. Verses sound good enough. Solo- sounds like the textbook phrases to start and Jim playing well but the tape issues really make it a tough listen. Some slightly different phrases on the final measure. Plant sounds fairly good on the climax, even going for the "Lady" high note. Another difficult version to grade but I'll say "A".

That's The Way- cuts in. What we have sounds good, with Plant singing confidently. No rating. (Plant gives a lecture about how they'll never play the same songs over and over again. Maybe should've thought about that one a little more.)

WIAWSNB- Excellent verses. Solo- well done. Outro is played well to end a solid version. "A".

WLL- Page's intro riffing isn't as exciting this time but the verses sound impressive. Unfortunately the tape cuts here with only a snippet of You Shook Me. No rating.

Thank You (SBD)- Using the soundboard as the audience version cuts out. One of the most impressive solos you'll ever hear by Page, simple as that. Perfect phrasing and execution. It's also aided by some heavy footwork by Bonham. Outro is decent as Jones adds some organ ambience. "A++".

Final Assessment-  A lot of solid playing but there's definitely a certain amount of magic missing for most of this one. The songs are played well but they're about as straight forward as you can get. Plant is rough in places and Page is very hesitant to let his fingers fly. Nevertheless I think the Florida folks got their money's worth. Highlights are a top notch version of Thank You and a perfectly played WIAWSNB. 

I'm still skeptical that TY from Orlando is really this show.  Neither of the two versions of this show on YouTube shed any light on the subject, since the audience version is cut before the solo.  I think the bootlegger tacked the TY soundboard onto the Hollywood tape and is trolling us.

8 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I'm still skeptical that TY from Orlando is really this show.  Neither of the two versions of this show on YouTube shed any light on the subject, since the audience version is cut before the solo.  I think the bootlegger tacked the TY soundboard onto the Hollywood tape and is trolling us.

If you play both versions side by side they match up perfectly, note for note. There's no question that they're the same. How they ended up getting mismatched is a real mystery however. 

Hey Gibson, I wanted to thank you for these critiques/assessments of the shows. As a life long Zeppelin fan who owns 100’s of Bootlegs, and all the live and official releases that they have put out, it is amazing to go over the shows after reading your reviews. Obviously it’s a ton of fun to listen to the shows, what you are doing requires more than just listening. I know others have thanked you, but it has shed new light on a lot of the shows I have, and made me listen for specific things during the shows. What it has made me think often, is can you imagine actual critics having taken the time to review the shows as you have. I don’t follow other bands on their forums, but the depth to which you have gone on their shows is pretty incredible. I can only think of Page or any of the other members having read your honest reviews. I think they would be impressed. Mr. John Henry Bonham would have loved your reviews I think. 

Thanks again, cheers, stay safe out there 

On 4/12/2021 at 1:31 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 9/23/1971 Budokan, Tokyo (Flying Rock Carnival)

1971-09-tokyo-002.png.bb2eee14eeb615b9196642785ca0bce0.pngjapan71-acousticset_0.png.174ed00b9e2f3cdb6532bfbd7fef5211.pngjp_senka_calendar_0.png.c5cb97e5b38d380400f59f8269a824c6.png

There are seemingly endless audience sources for these shows, but to keep things simple I'll be using a balance between consistency and good audio. This is mainly source 7 with some others used to fill the gaps.

I'm also introducing a new rating, "A-". Whereas I used "B+" before for a performance that was near flawless but had a few small flubs, I think that still seems unfair to put it at a "B" level if everything else was top notch. So "A-" will basically be just that- a well played song with good energy that has maybe one bad vocal squeak, a bad guitar phrase, or a slightly flubbed transition that doesn't detract from the overall performance. So this will be the "minor flaws" category and I think I will need it for this run of shows.

Immigrant Song- Thundering tempo. Opening wails sound on point and powerful. Solo- 2:30-2:50, Page lets loose on the usual array of triplet pulloffs. 3:23, a little inarticulate here. 3:47, some nice bends and pulloffs. Good solo overall. Exciting version. "A-" considering the sloppy descending solo phrase. 

Heartbreaker- Speedy tempo and excellent start. Solo- the pulloff and rockabilly sections are flawless. The smear section isn't too sloppy and phrased well. Bouree is short and flawless before Page takes off on the fast section. Excellent phrasing and flow throughout. Absolutely nothing bad to point out here as this is the definition of a solid performance. Also good energy from Bonham. "A".

SIBLY- Guitar overdrive is perfectly crunchy. 0:33, Bonham's double kicks echoing off the walls. 0:54-1:07, superbly fluid guitar run. 2:57, semi airraid. 3:03, Page almost jumps into the pre-chorus phrase early. Solo- fluid run off the bat. Flawless phrasing and fluidity throughout. 4:53, playing this bend to the fullest. 6:03, Bonzo getting loose with the beat but brings it back in. "A-".

Black Dog- Keeping with the fast tempo. 2:00, a wrong note in there somewhere but nothing major. 2:33, Page having a little trouble keeping up. Plant's pre-solo scream is a little subpar. Solo- good flow, fluidity, and phrasing throughout. This one felt extremely rushed and there were some flaws because of it. "B+".

Dazed- Average start. First workout- not much here as it goes straight to the bow section. Second workout- Page begins with the usual riffs. Good noodling throughout with some country sounding bends thrown in. Excellent phrasing. 17:18, Mars section still in it's infancy. 18:21, some bad chords by Page on the climax. The outro is pretty average sounding. Fairly solid, but not the most intriguing version. "A-".

Stairway- Flawless verses. Solo- an effortless flow of notes but it's almost too straightforward. 6:19, small tape cut. 6:57, this phrase sounded a little off. 7:12, some flubbed notes. 7:30, Page almost caught off guard and quickly plays the final phrase. Plant sounding excellent on the climax. For 1971? "B".

Celebration Day- Not the cleanest intro by Page. Fantastic energy with Jones just dominating the mix on this. Solo- takes a while for Page to lift off but he gets some decent noodling in. The ending turns into a rhythmic faceoff between the three. Not bad, not great, with a lacking solo. "B+".

That's The Way (BYAS false start). Nice relaxing tempo with subtle mandolin accents. Plant singing every lyric with tremendous emotion and intimacy. Very good. "A+".

GTC- Beautiful version all the way through. "A". (Plant scolds the crowd for whistling)

WIAWSNB- Solid start. 1:08, Page hits a unique minor sounding chord here. Solo- played perfectly. The second half winds out nicely. 4:12, some nice chording to end a good version. "A+".

WLL- The crowd gets riled up as they kick this one off. Sounding good on the start. Page comes out of the theremin section with some good free form jamming and knocks down the solo. Plant shreds his vocal chords before launching Boogie Chillen. Chillen is played with precision and Page gets a good solo in. Hello Mary Lou- audio gets a little worse but sounds decent. The solo doesn't flow perfectly but it's still a solid version. Mess Of Blues- tempo drags a little but still good with solid leads from Page. I'm A Man (partial). Tobacco Road- good verses and Page plays an excellent solo. Good Times Bad Times- sounding great as the crowd continues to clap out of time. 20:35, Page skips straight to the outro solo which is played nicely and continues jamming. How Many More Times- Plant calls it out and Page responds. Played with tremendous energy and swagger. 25:21, excellent bends by Page. The Hunter is played nicely. You Shook Me- as heavy as it gets and Jim's slide is on point. Solo- 29:48, long, fluid series of runs by Page. 31:22, massive trills. 31:48-32:02, one of the best lead runs I've heard by anyone. Just a phenomenal solo here as Page flexes every blues muscle he's got. 34:04, Plant straining a bit on the return. The outro is nailed down to end a ground-shaking medley. 35 minutes of near perfection. "A++".

Communication Breakdown- Plant tells the crowd to cool it before Page launches the intro. Plant's vocals are a little half-hearted probably due to the commotion in the crowd. Solo- some decent wah soaked runs. Plant again scolds the crowd. An ironic scene considering the song. the jam section and ending sounds good. Would have to be "B+" considering the interruptions. 

Final Assessment- First of all, after all the examinations of every year after, it's quite shocking to hear how consistently good these guys could be when they were focused and not under the influence, Page in particular with how free-flowing his lead phrasing is. It's a pretty tight show overall, though still not perfect. WLL is the biggest standout with a massive medley. Very strange that Stairway is where Page couldn't get entirely on track with the phrasing, almost sounding like he was trying too hard. Plant isn't exactly summer 1970 level but the high range is still there. Bonzo and Jones aren't showing off here, but doing their respective duties very well. One of the stark contrasts to me is how underwhelming Dazed is compared to later years. It feels like it's still in early construction here.

Just on the Stairway solo - on the boot I have (which is a combination of three sources), I've not heard any cut in the song, and to me the solo is actually remarkably free of ANY "flubbed notes" or mistakes. I consider it a top 3 Stairway solo.

I've long said this is my fave show ever, so. Just FWIW.

ALB

On 2/16/2022 at 2:27 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

If you play both versions side by side they match up perfectly, note for note. There's no question that they're the same. How they ended up getting mismatched is a real mystery however. 

But this is what I'm saying, there is no side-by-side comparison, at least past the intro.  Is this what you're talking about?  I have not heard an audience version of the solo, does it exist?

50 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

But this is what I'm saying, there is no side-by-side comparison, at least past the intro.  Is this what you're talking about?  I have not heard an audience version of the solo, does it exist?

You realize you don't need the solo for a comparison? All the little nuances of the verses (drum fills, vocal notes) also match up. Unless you're suggesting the solo only is from Orlando?

21 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Hey Gibson, I wanted to thank you for these critiques/assessments of the shows. As a life long Zeppelin fan who owns 100’s of Bootlegs, and all the live and official releases that they have put out, it is amazing to go over the shows after reading your reviews. Obviously it’s a ton of fun to listen to the shows, what you are doing requires more than just listening. I know others have thanked you, but it has shed new light on a lot of the shows I have, and made me listen for specific things during the shows. What it has made me think often, is can you imagine actual critics having taken the time to review the shows as you have. I don’t follow other bands on their forums, but the depth to which you have gone on their shows is pretty incredible. I can only think of Page or any of the other members having read your honest reviews. I think they would be impressed. Mr. John Henry Bonham would have loved your reviews I think. 

Thanks again, cheers, stay safe out there 

Much appreciated. When I first started these everyone thought I was solely intending to criticize the band, which isn't the case. I just find it interesting to run the live performances through a sieve and separate the good parts and the bad parts. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I think the bootlegger tacked the TY soundboard onto the Hollywood tape and is trolling us.

The “bootlegger” here is us (The Dogs of Doom) and no, we are not trolling. We’ve released the audience recording without the soundboard patch and you can compare for yourself to see that the organ solo and little nuances in the opening verses are identical. Why Hollywood TY was tacked onto the Orlando board is anyone’s guess. 

12 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Much appreciated. When I first started these everyone thought I was solely intending to criticize the band, which isn't the case. I just find it interesting to run the live performances through a sieve and separate the good parts and the bad parts. 

This is what I enjoy about the nitpicks as well - I mainly just find them interesting.

It's also a great tool for challenging assumptions - be it popular consensus, or just challenging your own personal opinions about any given performance. Taste in music is always subjective so there will be no turning around opinions about about one performance being empirically "better" vs another.

Still, removing one's emotional attachment to a show or solo or whatever can be helpful in viewing it through a new lens and ultimately can allow for a deeper appreciation of it (this approach is also helpful for other areas in life).

Finally, it's a good tool for people new to Zep boots - it's a big world to jump into, and it's helpful to have some guide posts along the way. Other forum members are not shy about disagreeing with some of the nitpicks or adding their own two cents - so new listeners can read this stuff and hopefully get a sense of where to start with whatever Zep tour they're exploring.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

You realize you don't need the solo for a comparison? All the little nuances of the verses (drum fills, vocal notes) also match up. Unless you're suggesting the solo only is from Orlando?

No, I'm saying that what I hear from the partial audience recording of TY from Hollywood, I'm not convinced that it's identical to the version on the Orlando soundboard (I was under the mistaken impression that an audience version of the solo existed).  But, maybe I need to listen to it more closely.  

Nitpicking Page 9/3/1971 MSG, NY (It's Been A Long Time- Graf Zeppelin)

sitthefuckdownforchristssake.jpg.7b1e70553a4e76f2bc89f28bc37c5e97.jpgyorkyork.jpg.dec503159766a45e50b013607cb3710a.jpg

Mostly two alternating audience sources, one bright one muffled, but very listenable.

Immigrant Song- Plant sounding fairly decent on the opening vocals. Tempo matches the studio version perfectly. 1:25, Plant feeling energetic as he shakes the mic while screaming. Good verses. Solo- Page gets off to a quicker start here, with more energetic phrasing off the bat. 3:07, interesting descending phrase. Page plays a steady, flawless stream of leads to end a rock solid version. "A+".

Heartbreaker- Verses played well with Robert still sounding lively. Solo- rockabilly section features some nimble fingers. Smear section is expressive and played well. Bouree-good. The audio takes a dive on the fast section but Jimmy keeps his head above water for an excellent set of phrasing and seemingly good articulation. Good finish. "A".

SIBLY- Very nice intro. 3:12, a unique vocal phrase I've never noticed before from Rob. Solo- perfect playing and phrasing throughout. The return has Plant putting lots of emphasis on the vocal delivery. Strong finish. "A++".

Black Dog- Tapers are making plenty of noise telling people to sit down. The band is sounding fantastic however. Plant still singing the "Jelly roll" lyric. Plant's pre-solo scream isn't a scream at all. Solo- another flawless set of leads. Plant could've been stronger but this is a solid one overall. "A".

Dazed- Good start. First workout is developing a little more. 7:52, "Jimmy Page is the best guitarist in the world." Brave words considering 1975 is around the corner. Second workout- Page gets off to the races with some energetic phrasing and nimble fingers. 13:15, throwing in a couple country licks and we can also hear "The Crunge" section developing on drums. 16:10, changing up phrasing nicely. Mars sounds good as Jones keeps playing the circular riff. 17:13, taking the phrasing to different levels. Climax lands perfectly. Outro jam is more excellence from Page, with the others matching his musical mindset. "A+".

Stairway- Verses sounding good. Solo- very good phrasing to start. Steady throughout. 7:30, interesting bends here before the final pull offs. Solid as ever. Plant's voice cracks on "souls". Otherwise a good climax. "A-" only for some subdued vocals.

Celebration Day- No fooling around as Page gets the intro off quickly. Tempo is high energy. Jones' bass really stands out on the recording. Verses are good. First solo- no flaws. Outro solo- 3:37, excellent phrasing. Not bad. "A".

That's The Way- Solid all the way through. "A".

GTC- 1:03, odd vocal phrase. 3:50, the "Sit down" police arrive. Not bad but missing a bit of magic. "B+".

WIAWSNB- Verses sound decent. Solo- Jim a little sloppy on the start but the last half is played very well. 3:34, minor bass flub. Outro is good. Not bad but not the best, "B+".

Moby Dick- Bonham keeps the energy up throughout. The muffled source however makes it hard to hear the details.

WLL- Nice little intro jam to get started. Verses are good and Jones gets funky on the freakout section. Solo- not perfect but very good. Boogie Chillen- Jim starts up a CCR sounding jam before the solo. Solo- Solid playing. My Baby Left Me- 8:52, Plant vocal crack. Excellent solo. Mess of Blues- Jimmy seemingly uses a slide during the vocals and he nails down a flawless solo as well. 13:15, slide is gone here as it's evident he's using his fingers. You Shook Me- verses sounding good. Solo- Page blasts off into his usual routine of impressive pentatonic blues runs, akin to Honey Bee and Going Down Slow. 21:22, Page ending the medley with a stunning set of pulloffs. Outro verses sound good. This one deserves a listen just for the dynamics of it, but also because Page is once again nimble fingered. Plant isn't exactly phenomenal vocally but he's mostly solid throughout. "A".

CB- Blistering tempo and good verses. Solo- Page lets his wah talk though he's more reserved on this solo. Jones however isn't reserved at all as he throws down an excellent bass solo/funk section. "A+".

Thank You- A good start comes to a halt as the crowd tries to climb the stage. After Plant scolds the crowd they jump back into the verses in a professional manner. Solo- some unusual phrasing throughout but it's a good one. The outro is done very dramatically. Ignoring the abrupt stop, "A".

Rock And Roll- Jimmy does some twangy bends to get started. Perfect energy on the verses. Solo- near impossible to make out any details but it is very evident that Jim does some unique phrasing. 2:58, Jimmy palm muting. Strong finish. This is one I'd like to hear a soundboard for. "A-". (Rating changed because somehow I didn't notice a skipped verse).

Final Assessment- Apparently there is no standing allowed in NY as the crowd tells each other to sit down for the entire show. Aside from the noisy tapers this is certainly one of the most solid shows overall so far. Plant isn't exactly peaking but he's strong throughout and has excellent projection on the lyrics. Page is very consistent and so are Jones and Bonham. Maybe the soundboard Gods will bless us with this show.

Edited by gibsonfan159

I wonder how a matrix of the 2 sources of the 9/3 show would sound. Considering one is muffled and distant and the other one close but hissy, I wonder if it would cancel eachother out and make for a better listen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 1:31 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 9/23/1971 Budokan, Tokyo (Flying Rock Carnival)

1971-09-tokyo-002.png.bb2eee14eeb615b9196642785ca0bce0.pngjapan71-acousticset_0.png.174ed00b9e2f3cdb6532bfbd7fef5211.pngjp_senka_calendar_0.png.c5cb97e5b38d380400f59f8269a824c6.png

There are seemingly endless audience sources for these shows, but to keep things simple I'll be using a balance between consistency and good audio. This is mainly source 7 with some others used to fill the gaps.

I'm also introducing a new rating, "A-". Whereas I used "B+" before for a performance that was near flawless but had a few small flubs, I think that still seems unfair to put it at a "B" level if everything else was top notch. So "A-" will basically be just that- a well played song with good energy that has maybe one bad vocal squeak, a bad guitar phrase, or a slightly flubbed transition that doesn't detract from the overall performance. So this will be the "minor flaws" category and I think I will need it for this run of shows.

Immigrant Song- Thundering tempo. Opening wails sound on point and powerful. Solo- 2:30-2:50, Page lets loose on the usual array of triplet pulloffs. 3:23, a little inarticulate here. 3:47, some nice bends and pulloffs. Good solo overall. Exciting version. "A-" considering the sloppy descending solo phrase. 

Heartbreaker- Speedy tempo and excellent start. Solo- the pulloff and rockabilly sections are flawless. The smear section isn't too sloppy and phrased well. Bouree is short and flawless before Page takes off on the fast section. Excellent phrasing and flow throughout. Absolutely nothing bad to point out here as this is the definition of a solid performance. Also good energy from Bonham. "A".

SIBLY- Guitar overdrive is perfectly crunchy. 0:33, Bonham's double kicks echoing off the walls. 0:54-1:07, superbly fluid guitar run. 2:57, semi airraid. 3:03, Page almost jumps into the pre-chorus phrase early. Solo- fluid run off the bat. Flawless phrasing and fluidity throughout. 4:53, playing this bend to the fullest. 6:03, Bonzo getting loose with the beat but brings it back in. "A-".

Black Dog- Keeping with the fast tempo. 2:00, a wrong note in there somewhere but nothing major. 2:33, Page having a little trouble keeping up. Plant's pre-solo scream is a little subpar. Solo- good flow, fluidity, and phrasing throughout. This one felt extremely rushed and there were some flaws because of it. "B+".

Dazed- Average start. First workout- not much here as it goes straight to the bow section. Second workout- Page begins with the usual riffs. Good noodling throughout with some country sounding bends thrown in. Excellent phrasing. 17:18, Mars section still in it's infancy. 18:21, some bad chords by Page on the climax. The outro is pretty average sounding. Fairly solid, but not the most intriguing version. "A-".

Stairway- Flawless verses. Solo- an effortless flow of notes but it's almost too straightforward. 6:19, small tape cut. 6:57, this phrase sounded a little off. 7:12, some flubbed notes. 7:30, Page almost caught off guard and quickly plays the final phrase. Plant sounding excellent on the climax. For 1971? "B".

Celebration Day- Not the cleanest intro by Page. Fantastic energy with Jones just dominating the mix on this. Solo- takes a while for Page to lift off but he gets some decent noodling in. The ending turns into a rhythmic faceoff between the three. Not bad, not great, with a lacking solo. "B+".

That's The Way (BYAS false start). Nice relaxing tempo with subtle mandolin accents. Plant singing every lyric with tremendous emotion and intimacy. Very good. "A+".

GTC- Beautiful version all the way through. "A". (Plant scolds the crowd for whistling)

WIAWSNB- Solid start. 1:08, Page hits a unique minor sounding chord here. Solo- played perfectly. The second half winds out nicely. 4:12, some nice chording to end a good version. "A+".

WLL- The crowd gets riled up as they kick this one off. Sounding good on the start. Page comes out of the theremin section with some good free form jamming and knocks down the solo. Plant shreds his vocal chords before launching Boogie Chillen. Chillen is played with precision and Page gets a good solo in. Hello Mary Lou- audio gets a little worse but sounds decent. The solo doesn't flow perfectly but it's still a solid version. Mess Of Blues- tempo drags a little but still good with solid leads from Page. I'm A Man (partial). Tobacco Road- good verses and Page plays an excellent solo. Good Times Bad Times- sounding great as the crowd continues to clap out of time. 20:35, Page skips straight to the outro solo which is played nicely and continues jamming. How Many More Times- Plant calls it out and Page responds. Played with tremendous energy and swagger. 25:21, excellent bends by Page. The Hunter is played nicely. You Shook Me- as heavy as it gets and Jim's slide is on point. Solo- 29:48, long, fluid series of runs by Page. 31:22, massive trills. 31:48-32:02, one of the best lead runs I've heard by anyone. Just a phenomenal solo here as Page flexes every blues muscle he's got. 34:04, Plant straining a bit on the return. The outro is nailed down to end a ground-shaking medley. 35 minutes of near perfection. "A++".

Communication Breakdown- Plant tells the crowd to cool it before Page launches the intro. Plant's vocals are a little half-hearted probably due to the commotion in the crowd. Solo- some decent wah soaked runs. Plant again scolds the crowd. An ironic scene considering the song. the jam section and ending sounds good. Would have to be "B+" considering the interruptions. 

Final Assessment- First of all, after all the examinations of every year after, it's quite shocking to hear how consistently good these guys could be when they were focused and not under the influence, Page in particular with how free-flowing his lead phrasing is. It's a pretty tight show overall, though still not perfect. WLL is the biggest standout with a massive medley. Very strange that Stairway is where Page couldn't get entirely on track with the phrasing, almost sounding like he was trying too hard. Plant isn't exactly summer 1970 level but the high range is still there. Bonzo and Jones aren't showing off here, but doing their respective duties very well. One of the stark contrasts to me is how underwhelming Dazed is compared to later years. It feels like it's still in early construction here.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, AchillesLastBand said:

Just on the Stairway solo - on the boot I have (which is a combination of three sources), I've not heard any cut in the song, and to me the solo is actually remarkably free of ANY "flubbed notes" or mistakes. I consider it a top 3 Stairway solo.

I've long said this is my fave show ever, so. Just FWIW.

ALB

I'm sorry, I now have no reason to doubt that you are correct about the tape edit in Stairway; I'd thought it was just some creativity with the rhythm, but the last time I listened I heard what I thought could be a tape cut. As I said, I have no reason to doubt that you're right.

ALB

On 3/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, AchillesLastBand said:

I'm sorry, I now have no reason to doubt that you are correct about the tape edit in Stairway; I'd thought it was just some creativity with the rhythm, but the last time I listened I heard what I thought could be a tape cut. As I said, I have no reason to doubt that you're right.

ALB

No worries. 👍

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nitpicking Page 5/4/1971 Odense, Denmark (DADGAD Remaster)

e6ccd905f0bd0bd093d7edb656ef166f.thumb.png.9ec33b58aebc7611522373db9bc395c9.png8b9b6edc02684786a2b66c25a3758d6e.jpg.6802402baaa147526b2c7d9f29cfb509.jpg

Slightly muffled audience recording but very consistent.

Immigrant Song- Plant's opening wails sound on point and the energy level is steady, medium paced. 1:19, incredible scream. Solo- 2:17, extended series of bends to launch the more intense series of runs. 2:28-2:40, superb playing from Jimmy. 3:10, some menacing low notes to usher in the finale. Very good, "A++".

Heartbreaker- Verses sound excellent and the tempo is nervously fast paced. Solo- 2:07, not hard to hear what inspired Eddie Van Halen here. 2:28, some awkwardly phrased notes but he makes them fit. The smear section is played very smoothly. The short Bouree is faint and 59th St sounds fine. The fast section crashes in like a semi truck through a house. Page's phrasing starts good and gets a little disjointed halfway through as he meanders toward the end, certainly not bad though. The return verses are solid for the finish. "A-".

Since I've Been Loving You- Excellent intro. Robert forgoes the big scream for a very subtle vocal intro. 1:49, makes up for it here. 2:15, and here. Plant sounds powerful throughout the verses. Solo- 3:35, unique phrasing here that works very well. He softens up a bit toward the end but the phrasing is still great. 5:40, Plant pours out some emotional moans. 5:53, Page throws in an odd sounding trill. Tremendous energy toward the end before winding it down. "A+".

Dazed and Confused- Good start with Bonzo playing energetically. The first workout is still in very early development, almost nonexistent. Bow section lasts around six minutes. Second workout- 10:48, Plant lets out a powerful howl to match the guitar. 11:23, maybe not the most articulate descending run. 11:42, unique phrase. 14:50, Mars section is especially haunting with Plant singing along. 15:15, Page usually does an ascending run here to provoke some screeching feedback to bring in the climax but fails to do so, making it sound somewhat less impactful. The outro gets experimental around 17:58 and the big finish is nailed perfectly. Solid playing overall, but maybe less enthusiastic than the previous night's performance. "A".

Black Dog- Tempo at a breakneck speed with the verses sounding great. 2:50, lyric mixup as Plant gets the last verses switched. Solo- Page just killing it from the get-go. 3:50-4:00, supremely smooth articulation as Jim ascends to God mode. 4:14, Plant attempting to bring in the finish but Jimmy is having none of it and keeps shredding. Page finally puts the baby to bed to end one of the best solos I've heard for this. "A+" ignoring the lyrical mishap.

Stairway to Heaven- Plant's vocals are low in the recording but the verses are solid as a rock. 3:50, now there's an unusual vocal as Plant ad libs a unique melody. Once the drums enter the tempo gets going unusually fast. 5:55, powerful vocal. Solo- good phrasing out of the gate. Page plays steadily and passionately throughout, again jumping into the finale out of nowhere (akin to other early versions). Plant's climax vocals are nailed perfectly and the outro has a mystical feel to it. Excellent version. "A+++".

Going To California- Plant sounding excellent through the verses with the mandolin cutting through the mix. 2:47, a single wrong note by Jones but that's severely nitpicking. 3:11, excellent high note by Plant. Beautiful. "A+".

That's The Way- Solid verses. 3:03, some loose mando phrasing. Outro played well. 5:32, some powerful vocals to bring it to a close. "A-".

What Is And What Should Never Be- The subtle verses are contrasted violently by the energetic verses. Solo- Jim just a tad sluggish on the opening phrases but no wrong notes in sight. Plant sings with power on the returning verses. Outro- raucous and lively playing to end this solid version. "A".

Four Sticks- Intro sounding a bit like Bo Diddley, the tempo slightly faster than the studio version. Plant as solid as ever through the verses. They hold it together well through the bridge. 5:01, Page throws in some lead licks right before the abrupt ending. Not bad at all, "A".

Gallows Pole- Excellent intro, setting the perfect mood. Verses sounding nice. 2:08, Jonesy drops out for a few seconds which seems to put the song at an awkward pace for the remainder as the playing becomes disjointed in places. 3:50, Jim frantically tries to keep up with the tempo on the outro, getting some decent lead runs in. 5:05, air raid "pole". It's understandable why they dropped this one from the setlist, it had excellent potential for the live setting but they never seemed to get a solid structuring down. "B+".

Whole Lotta Love Medley- Plant's vocals still reigning supreme on the energetic opening. 1:24, and as soon as I say that there's a vocal crack. Freakout section sounds freaky enough with Plant's eerie vocal input. Solo- spot on. Boogie Mama- solid showing from Plant. Page's soloing as good as ever. 7:15, flawless articulation as he sets a speed record on these phrases. That's Alright Mama- 8:19, perfectly extended bend with Jim just showing off now. 9:27, mixing up the guitar technique a bit. Mess Of Blues- maybe a little rushed but it fits the energy so far. Honey Bee- Plant nails down some solid, bluesy vocals over this gritty rhythm. Page's solo starts off steadily as he runs through the usual pentatonic licks. 14:03, here's where it gets interesting as he ascends to shred mode. Perfect phrasing from Jimbo. 15:05, cool guitar lick. Plant just destroying the microphone on the last verses. 16:10, Plant's air raid scream on point as they carry the coda out effectively. "A++".

Communication Breakdown- Plant misses the opening verse and is a little hesitant for the next few. Solo- Jimmy continues on his path of guitar perfection as he knocks down an excellent extended set of runs. 2:19, absolutely flawless timing on this final ascending run. "It's Your Thing" jam is simplistic but good. 4:21, here comes master shredder Jim again  melting people's faces. The song cuts out before the ending but it's not missing much. "A+" for for guitar awesomeness.

Final Assessment- Highlights are everywhere as it's a very solid performance throughout. The only letdown (which really isn't major) is the awkward Gallows Pole, a shame considering this is the clearest recording of the song. Plant is insanely powerful and Page really hits some peaks for many solos. Dazed could've been more dynamic in my opinion but is solid as is. The band are continuing with their 1971 confidence after the excellent Copenhagen show. A must listen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 5/4/1971 Odense, Denmark (DADGAD Remaster)

e6ccd905f0bd0bd093d7edb656ef166f.thumb.png.9ec33b58aebc7611522373db9bc395c9.png8b9b6edc02684786a2b66c25a3758d6e.jpg.6802402baaa147526b2c7d9f29cfb509.jpg

Slightly muffled audience recording but very consistent.

Immigrant Song- Plant's opening wails sound on point and the energy level is steady, medium paced. 1:19, incredible scream. Solo- 2:17, extended series of bends to launch the more intense series of runs. 2:28-2:40, superb playing from Jimmy. 3:10, some menacing low notes to usher in the finale. Very good, "A++".

Heartbreaker- Verses sound excellent and the tempo is nervously fast paced. Solo- 2:07, not hard to hear what inspired Eddie Van Halen here. 2:28, some awkwardly phrased notes but he makes them fit. The smear section is played very smoothly. The short Bouree is faint and 59th St sounds fine. The fast section crashes in like a semi truck through a house. Page's phrasing starts good and gets a little disjointed halfway through as he meanders toward the end, certainly not bad though. The return verses are solid for the finish. "A-".

Since I've Been Loving You- Excellent intro. Robert forgoes the big scream for a very subtle vocal intro. 1:49, makes up for it here. 2:15, and here. Plant sounds powerful throughout the verses. Solo- 3:35, unique phrasing here that works very well. He softens up a bit toward the end but the phrasing is still great. 5:40, Plant pours out some emotional moans. 5:53, Page throws in an odd sounding trill. Tremendous energy toward the end before winding it down. "A+".

Dazed and Confused- Good start with Bonzo playing energetically. The first workout is still in very early development, almost nonexistent. Bow section lasts around six minutes. Second workout- 10:48, Plant lets out a powerful howl to match the guitar. 11:23, maybe not the most articulate descending run. 11:42, unique phrase. 14:50, Mars section is especially haunting with Plant singing along. 15:15, Page usually does an ascending run here to provoke some screeching feedback to bring in the climax but fails to do so, making it sound somewhat less impactful. The outro gets experimental around 17:58 and the big finish is nailed perfectly. Solid playing overall, but maybe less enthusiastic than the previous night's performance. "A".

Black Dog- Tempo at a breakneck speed with the verses sounding great. 2:50, lyric mixup as Plant gets the last verses switched. Solo- Page just killing it from the get-go. 3:50-4:00, supremely smooth articulation as Jim ascends to God mode. 4:14, Plant attempting to bring in the finish but Jimmy is having none of it and keeps shredding. Page finally puts the baby to bed to end one of the best solos I've heard for this. "A+" ignoring the lyrical mishap.

Stairway to Heaven- Plant's vocals are low in the recording but the verses are solid as a rock. 3:50, now there's an unusual vocal as Plant ad libs a unique melody. Once the drums enter the tempo gets going unusually fast. 5:55, powerful vocal. Solo- good phrasing out of the gate. Page plays steadily and passionately throughout, again jumping into the finale out of nowhere (akin to other early versions). Plant's climax vocals are nailed perfectly and the outro has a mystical feel to it. Excellent version. "A+++".

Going To California- Plant sounding excellent through the verses with the mandolin cutting through the mix. 2:47, a single wrong note by Jones but that's severely nitpicking. 3:11, excellent high note by Plant. Beautiful. "A+".

That's The Way- Solid verses. 3:03, some loose mando phrasing. Outro played well. 5:32, some powerful vocals to bring it to a close. "A-".

What Is And What Should Never Be- The subtle verses are contrasted violently by the energetic verses. Solo- Jim just a tad sluggish on the opening phrases but no wrong notes in sight. Plant sings with power on the returning verses. Outro- raucous and lively playing to end this solid version. "A".

Four Sticks- Intro sounding a bit like Bo Diddley, the tempo slightly faster than the studio version. Plant as solid as ever through the verses. They hold it together well through the bridge. 5:01, Page throws in some lead licks right before the abrupt ending. Not bad at all, "A".

Gallows Pole- Excellent intro, setting the perfect mood. Verses sounding nice. 2:08, Jonesy drops out for a few seconds which seems to put the song at an awkward pace for the remainder as the playing becomes disjointed in places. 3:50, Jim frantically tries to keep up with the tempo on the outro, getting some decent lead runs in. 5:05, air raid "pole". It's understandable why they dropped this one from the setlist, it had excellent potential for the live setting but they never seemed to get a solid structuring down. "B+".

Whole Lotta Love Medley- Plant's vocals still reigning supreme on the energetic opening. 1:24, and as soon as I say that there's a vocal crack. Freakout section sounds freaky enough with Plant's eerie vocal input. Solo- spot on. Boogie Mama- solid showing from Plant. Page's soloing as good as ever. 7:15, flawless articulation as he sets a speed record on these phrases. That's Alright Mama- 8:19, perfectly extended bend with Jim just showing off now. 9:27, mixing up the guitar technique a bit. Mess Of Blues- maybe a little rushed but it fits the energy so far. Honey Bee- Plant nails down some solid, bluesy vocals over this gritty rhythm. Page's solo starts off steadily as he runs through the usual pentatonic licks. 14:03, here's where it gets interesting as he ascends to shred mode. Perfect phrasing from Jimbo. 15:05, cool guitar lick. Plant just destroying the microphone on the last verses. 16:10, Plant's air raid scream on point as they carry the coda out effectively. "A++".

Communication Breakdown- Plant misses the opening verse and is a little hesitant for the next few. Solo- Jimmy continues on his path of guitar perfection as he knocks down an excellent extended set of runs. 2:19, absolutely flawless timing on this final ascending run. "It's Your Thing" jam is simplistic but good. 4:21, here comes master shredder Jim again  melting people's faces. The song cuts out before the ending but it's not missing much. "A+" for for guitar awesomeness.

Final Assessment- Highlights are everywhere as it's a very solid performance throughout. The only letdown (which really isn't major) is the awkward Gallows Pole, a shame considering this is the clearest recording of the song. Plant is insanely powerful and Page really hits some peaks for many solos. Dazed could've been more dynamic in my opinion but is solid as is. The band are continuing with their 1971 confidence after the excellent Copenhagen show. A must listen. 

I dig this review Gibson. Man these guys were just out of this world! What I think about through your reviews is just how much energy these 4 gentlemen put out on a nightly basis. It’s incredible. I can’t think of any other band that ever did anything like what they did. Certainly there are many, many amazing musicians, and many incredible performances, performers over the years, but these guys in their prime were not like anything or anyone ever. I wish their was more video of them. 

Thanks again for these reviews. They are very good. 

• 1 month later...

Nitpicking Page 8/19/1971 Vancouver, BC (Wild West Side- EVSD)

FB_IMG_1598285568529.jpg.fadc0db2eade910d70b416d39a79c581.jpgScreenshot_20200813-131255_Pinterest.jpg.b0517452b9182b0e28b6a24b53c47076.jpgIMG_0576.thumb.JPG.e9139805a5b1e539cdf83d6f532baaa8.JPGImage5.png.d2cd1fc8e5a116b16729e5b370082569.png

The recording is mostly clear with a few muffled and distorted sections. The tape itself is extremely loud (Typical EVSD).

SIBLY- Cuts in at the end of the solo, which is sounding very good. 0:51, now that's a scream. People next to the tapers can be heard shouting expletives at someone not sitting down, to which they reply "Everyone else is standing up". The outro is played with tons of passion although Plant is low in the mix. 2:17, except for these excellent screams which are clear. We'll give this the benefit of the doubt and say "A+".

Black Dog- Taking off at break neck speed, verses sounding very strong and energetic. 2:00, Rob switching up the lyrics. Solo- Page gets lost on the start but soon gets on track for a nice set of phrases. Energy off the charts here but I wouldn't call it the most solid version. "A-".

Dazed- Booming intro is awash with screams of "Sit down". Plant sounding otherworldly as he rips some powerful screams. No real first workout here. Bow section roughly under six minutes. Second workout- Sounding good to start. 11:30, this ascending phrase ends badly as Page trips up. 12:00, Jimmy works his way into some interesting eastern sounding sitar like phrases. 14:20-14:30, Page is having some trouble finding a good flow. 14:50, a tape cut takes us to the ending. "B" considering the cut but Page isn't his usual smooth self.

Stairway- The BD, Dazed, Stairway setlist is always jarring. Intro and verses sounding fairly good. 4:57, some off notes by Jonesy on the keys. The solo leading sounds fantastic, creating the perfect atmosphere. Solo- Jimmy kicks it off nicely, phrasing and articulation on point. 7:27, the final pull off notes are extended for the entire measure which works quite well. Plant nails a good climax section, maybe not his most powerful though. He extends a ridiculously long note on the outro. Not bad, "A". (Plant can be heard using some expletives toward the PA system).

GTC- Very clear recording. Plant sounds a little flustered on the opening verse (probably annoyed with the PA). Instrumentally solid but Plant doesn't sound like his usual self here. "B+".

TTW- Beautiful work by Plant through the verses with the other three accenting everything nicely. Wonderful version. "A+".

WIAWSNB- Cuts in on the second verse. Rob sounding very powerful. Solo- noticeably loose but nothing off track. The recording gets incredibly distorted in places. Outro- 3:51, awkward chording by Jim to end. "A-".

Celebration Day- Intro is decent as they launch into energetic verses. Jonesy's excellent bass work is buried under the noisy tape. First solo- couple of flubbed notes to start but otherwise solid. Outro- what starts good loses some impact as Jim struggles to really find a flow with the leads. Not bad however for an early version. "B+".

Gallows Pole- A slow, trodding tempo with some dynamic chording from Jimmy. Plant sounding excellent. 4:00, Pages launches a foray of 12 string lead phrases that sound eerily similar to parts of The Song Remains The Same. This might be the most solid version of the song yet. "A++".

WLL- Jim warms up a bit on the intro and sets the mood. Verses have a good flow with the appropriate raunchy attitude. Jimmy attempts some lead on the freakout section but it doesn't seem to land well. Solo- Page makes it scream perfectly. 5:16, Jim gets unplugged and we get blasted with feedback for a couple seconds. 7:25, more feedback during an excellent solo. That's Alright- might be the recording but Plant sounds more strained here. Page's accompaniment is very well done however. Again, an awesome solo is matched by feedback squelches and Page seemingly turns his volume down some to get it under control. 10:20, tape cut takes us into Mess Of Blues. 10:53, Jim's phrasing just a little loose. 12:15, ending is a tad awkward. Another tape cut takes us to Honey Bee. 12:45, not the most nimble fingers. 15:07, better fluidity here. 17:20, Page going berserk. 18:47, Plant and Page get into a heated battle. 19:20, another cut takes us to what sounds like the end of a For What It's Worth jam. Plant gets a powerful but short air raid in for the return and the PA system goes askew with feedback. An entertaining version, maybe not the most explosive. "B+".

Weekend- Rough recording here but everything is sounding fine. 1:19, slight vocal crack. Solo- a bit disjointed but not terrible. Plant's vocal timing is loose on the last verses. Not the best version of this one. "B+".

Rock And Roll- Kickoff sounds fairly solid with a slight pause from Jim at 0:36. Almost positive Jimmy is using the EDS for this as the tone does not match a Les Paul. Solo- rough on the start but overall pretty good, plenty of energy. The outro verses are excellent as they end it perfectly. "A-".

Communication Breakdown- Perfect energy through the verses. Solo- Page is fairly sticky here with both articulation and phrasing. Nothing too off putting though. 2:42, he's running out road. 3:20-3:30, some very strained notes. It takes a couple of measures for everyone to get in sync for the ending. Not great. "B".

Final Assessment- A loose show obviously affected by a rowdy crowd and a misbehaving P.A. system. Robert is quite powerful throughout but Page is the odd duck here, not playing at his usually fluid 1971 level in several places. Definitely worth the listen however. Highlights are a superb but incomplete SIBLY and in my opinion the best Gallows Pole we have available. Rock And Roll sounds like it was played with the EDS 12 string which if true is very unique. A shame we don't have the opening tracks. 

Edited by gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 9/4/1971 Toronto, Ontario (4 source aud/sbd revision)

toronto71_0.jpg.60f91e3820f2310435152d3204244dc4.jpgtoronto71-2_0.jpg.3f4eb276f98621b1b4ca3187defe7ba9.jpg

Immigrant Song- Opening wails sound decent enough. 0:43-0:50, Plant struggling some. 1:31, he gives up on this verse. Solo- Page gets going on the usual warm up phrases, transitioning nicely to the more expressive lead work. He's taking his time on this one, not sounding eager to melt faces just yet. 3:37, ending phrase doesn't land quite as well as usual. This one lacks that opening gut punch it's supposed to deliver. "B".

Heartbreaker- Bonham does an excellent job giving this song the appropriate heaviness. 1:05, Plant again sounding wobbly and unconfident. Page goes through his acapella section nicely, with a laid back rockabilly jam. The smear section is well structured and mostly smooth, followed by a short Bouree. Fast section- fluid playing to start. 5:50, some sticky fingers here. 6:48, the final verse has Robert croaking a little. "B+".

SIBLY- Intro and verses setting the perfect mood. Plant sounding truly emotional when hearing that back door slam. Solo- Page is impressive here not for shredding or overdoing anything, but for playing gently and letting the phrasing flow naturally with the tempo. Nicely done. Plant manages the passion well on the final verses but his vocal power is obviously subdued. Fairly solid throughout, "A".

Black Dog- Tight playing on the verses. 1:40, they send the energy up a few notches here. 2:03, "I got a girl, she eats my soul, she wants to keep me clean, don't like rock and roll" (The Exorcist didn't come out until 1973). Solo- a steady routine of big bends ands blues phrases. Again, Jim doesn't seem to be aiming to blow anyone away, but plays it safe and effectively. "A".

Dazed- A decent intro and first set of verses though Rob still isn't sounding particularly strong. First workout is a dark, dramatic jam with Bonzo hammering away. Bow section lasts almost exactly six minutes. Second workout- 12:17-12:26, some sloppiness through here. 12:43, also sticky. 13:37, unique sounding riffs from Jim. 15:55, more experimental riffs that don't quite fit the vibe. 17:07, Jimmy works his way through the Mars riffs and nails a dynamic climax section. The outro sounds great but has a tape cut. Not the most impressive performance for the era. "B+".

Stairway- We switch to the soundboard for this. Good intro. 2:45, Plant coming in a little late. 5:00, Robert sounding strong here. Bonham's drumming though the latter verses is very dynamic and stands out on this soundboard. 5:40, Plant a little flat on this moan. Solo- a good flow to start with fluid articulation. 7:15-7:20, a couple loose spots. 7:25, phrasing hangup. Not bad but just not as smooth as some others. Plant holds his own on an effective climax as they wind down nicely. A lot here is obviously emphasized by the crystal clear recording but there are better versions. "B+".

Celebration Day- Page nails the intro and we're off to the races. Verses sounding good. First solo- perfect. 2:38, Jones going wild. Outro- Page's noodling is fluid and well phrased. Near the end he switches back to the 12 string for more rhythmic riffs before ending. Very good. "A+". (Plant scolds the rowdy crowd afterwards).

TTW- Beautiful vocal delivery throughout the verses and Jones' mandolin accents are flawless. Excellent version. "A+".

GTC- Everything sounding wonderful on this and the superb recording makes it feel very intimate. "A++".

WIAWSNB- Verses sounding strong. 1:22, Page drops out for a second. Solo- first half is solid and Jim does some very cool slide phrases at the end. Outro is played very well with lots of enthusiasm. "A+".

WLL- Jim doing his usual warm up riffing before starting. Unfortunately we're back to the aud source. Verses sound good and the freakout is appropriately spooky. Solo- well done as Jim switches up the last phrase. Boogie Chillen- 7:20, a little murky but Jim appears to be in shred mode. My Baby Left Me- Jimmy again ripping a mean set of leads. Mess Of Blues- lots of swagger and Page's accentuated chording almost overshadows Plant. 11:37, it's now apparent he's using the slide and very well. Impressive playing so far. You Shook Me- Page continues with his slide domination. 15:14, a bit of a hiccup on this phrase. Solo- Jim keeps it steady at first then explodes into the stars. Excellent. Plant's air raid is fairly powerful to bring the main riff back around, to which Jim drops out in a couple places. Good as is but boy did we need more considering Page was on fire. "A++".

Communication Breakdown- Booming energy as the verses tear the roof off. Solo- 1:35, not a bad start but Jim hangs up on a couple phrases. The latter half is much better as he finds a better flow and shreds confidently. "It's Your Thing" jam sounding good. 5:10, Jones gets the spotlight for a nice acapella section. It ends with Jones and Plant sounding a little lost before Page rejoins and brings in the coda. Not bad, "A-".

Thank You- We get a brief snippet of the organ solo before a tape cut takes us to the first verse. 1:17, hard to tell but Page might be botching some chords here. Solo- Jimmy is in a groove, nailing down some country sounding double bends to get started and playing fluently through a flawless set of pentatonic phrases. Excellent. The final verses and outro are solid. I'll assume the missing intro was good and go "A+".

Final Assessment- A first half slump is followed by a very strong second half. Plant takes a while to get warmed up and Page is a bit inconsistent through this show. No trainwrecks however and it's mostly a solid performance. Celebration Day, Going To California, and Whole Lotta Love are the standouts. The Thank You solo is also noteworthy. 

Edited by gibsonfan159