Nitpicking Page 1971

gibsonfan159

18 minutes ago, duckman said:

Ouch ...my all time favorite show gets the Gibsonfan assessment. Never mind, with all the B's, I'll take this over any 73 or 75 shows. 😛

There's one song however (which I love, )but is far from perfect; 'Friends'. Jonesy gets lost  on his fretless P bass and Page (especially on the SB) sounds not entirely  in tune. Still not bad for a 'one-off' performance.

Fixed 👍

Nitpicking Page 3/5/1971 Belfast, Ireland (Master cassette)

71_Belfast_stairway_0.jpg.8127b7b12be32ec2fe8aec3f7296c68f.jpgireland71-b_0.jpg.012a70a8afc45250084d2b6c70a55b2e.jpg

Slightly boomy audience recording, but more than clear enough to enjoy. 

Immigrant Song- Recording starts just as the song starts and Plant is sounding powerful. Solo- 2:29-2:48, some of the most intense bends I've heard Jim play with excellent noodling in between. Amazing performance. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Tape cut on the intro. 1:28, I can already tell this nitpick will have lots of notable vocal timestamps. Solo- fluid noodling with another small tape cut. 2:55, the smear section blows the roof off the place. 3:50, Jimmy in fine form as he shreds flawlessly. Ending is perfect. "A+".

SIBLY- Jones not coming through clearly at first. Jim again just killing it on the intro. 2:52, air raid Rob. Solo- Off to the races and doesn't slow down. Recording is a little murky but sounds flawless throughout. The return is as energetic and intense as I've ever heard it. "A++".

Black Dog- First live performance. Blazing tempo. 1:47, Page gets ahead of the beat just a little. Verses are played viciously and it's easy to see why Plant's voice didn't last longer. Solo- audio is too murky to nitpick but sounds pretty good. "A".

Dazed- 2:09, the main riff rattling the walls. First workout still in it's infancy but Page gets some fluid noodling in. Bow section lasts a whopping four minutes. Second workout- Page hasn't turned this into a guitar showoff section yet, it's still an intense representation of a bad acid trip. And a seemingly accurate one. The return sounds good as it comes to a close. Not a lot to nitpick with this early version. "A".

Stairway- First live performance. Tape cuts in. Verses sounding good. 2:30, recording starts to get badly overloaded. Solo- 5:53, slight cut. Guitar is very hard to make out here but what there is of it sounds decently played. Plant sounding powerful on the climax. Another cut on the outro. I suppose it's solid enough for a first attempt but maybe not perfect. "A-".

GTC- First live performance. cuts in on the first verse with several more cuts throughout. There's enough to realize it's being played well though. No rating.

WIAWSNB- Cuts in. Booming energy. Hard to tell if there's an echo effect on Robert's vocals or if it's natural. Solo- played flawlessly. Outro sounds great with Robert destroying eardrums. "A".

WLL- Solid start.1:24, slight cut. 2:42, theremin section melting people's brains. Solo- good. Boogie Chillen- devastating tempo and energy. Solis solo. Bottle Up And Go- tearing it up. Honey Bee- 10:50, unique sounding picking effect I've never heard before. Excellent soloing. 12:40, again with the unusual picking. 14:14, Robert trying to destroy the crowd's vocals as well. The return is almost double time. "A".

Communication Breakdown- Just as much energy as the rest of the show, maybe more. Solo- sounding good with a solid "It's Your Thing" section. "A".

Rock And Roll- First live performance. Ludicrous tempo and energy if this tape is running correctly. Comparing this to the TSRTS version from 73 seems like a joke. Solo- not sure how accurate he's playing here but I'll be damned if he doesn't keep up. Plant does miss the return though and waits for the next round. Can't blame him, that's like trying to jump a bullet train. "A-". I'm just putting the minus in there because playing that blindingly fast should be illegal.

Bring It On Home- Beautiful intro. Takes off just like you'd expect, shaking the foundation. Page gets in some speedy pull offs and Plant lays down some extra bloozy harmonica at 6:06. 7:30-8:00, nice soloing from Jim. The return is up-tempo and lacking any vocals. Overall a heavy, entertaining performance but feels sort of rough on the edges, and a bit rushed. Still an "A" I think.

Final Assessment- Zep only went to Ireland once  but it appears they got their money's worth. I'd dare call this one of the most important shows in their live history, debuting four tracks from their new album. And doing so in exemplary fashion. A soundboard of this would be a godsend although this recording is good enough to make the case for just how unrivaled the band was by this time. 

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 3/5/1971 Belfast, Ireland (Master cassette)

71_Belfast_stairway_0.jpg.8127b7b12be32ec2fe8aec3f7296c68f.jpgireland71-b_0.jpg.012a70a8afc45250084d2b6c70a55b2e.jpg

Slightly boomy audience recording, but more than clear enough to enjoy. 

Immigrant Song- Recording starts just as the song starts and Plant is sounding powerful. Solo- 2:29-2:48, some of the most intense bends I've heard Jim play with excellent noodling in between. Amazing performance. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Tape cut on the intro. 1:28, I can already tell this nitpick will have lots of notable vocal timestamps. Solo- fluid noodling with another small tape cut. 2:55, the smear section blows the roof off the place. 3:50, Jimmy in fine form as he shreds flawlessly. Ending is perfect. "A+".

SIBLY- Jones not coming through clearly at first. Jim again just killing it on the intro. 2:52, air raid Rob. Solo- Off to the races and doesn't slow down. Recording is a little murky but sounds flawless throughout. The return is as energetic and intense as I've ever heard it. "A++".

Black Dog- First live performance. Blazing tempo. 1:47, Page gets ahead of the beat just a little. Verses are played viciously and it's easy to see why Plant's voice didn't last longer. Solo- audio is too murky to nitpick but sounds pretty good. "A".

Dazed- 2:09, the main riff rattling the walls. First workout still in it's infancy but Page gets some fluid noodling in. Bow section lasts a whopping four minutes. Second workout- Page hasn't turned this into a guitar showoff section yet, it's still an intense representation of a bad acid trip. And a seemingly accurate one. The return sounds good as it comes to a close. Not a lot to nitpick with this early version. "A".

Stairway- First live performance. Tape cuts in. Verses sounding good. 2:30, recording starts to get badly overloaded. Solo- 5:53, slight cut. Guitar is very hard to make out here but what there is of it sounds decently played. Plant sounding powerful on the climax. Another cut on the outro. I suppose it's solid enough for a first attempt but maybe not perfect. "A-".

GTC- First live performance. cuts in on the first verse with several more cuts throughout. There's enough to realize it's being played well though. No rating.

WIAWSNB- Cuts in. Booming energy. Hard to tell if there's an echo effect on Robert's vocals or if it's natural. Solo- played flawlessly. Outro sounds great with Robert destroying eardrums. "A".

WLL- Solid start.1:24, slight cut. 2:42, theremin section melting people's brains. Solo- good. Boogie Chillen- devastating tempo and energy. Solis solo. Bottle Up And Go- tearing it up. Honey Bee- 10:50, unique sounding picking effect I've never heard before. Excellent soloing. 12:40, again with the unusual picking. 14:14, Robert trying to destroy the crowd's vocals as well. The return is almost double time. "A".

Communication Breakdown- Just as much energy as the rest of the show, maybe more. Solo- sounding good with a solid "It's Your Thing" section. "A".

Rock And Roll- First live performance. Ludicrous tempo and energy if this tape is running correctly. Comparing this to the TSRTS version from 73 seems like a joke. Solo- not sure how accurate he's playing here but I'll be damned if he doesn't keep up. Plant does miss the return though and waits for the next round. Can't blame him, that's like trying to jump a bullet train. "A-". I'm just putting the minus in there because playing that blindingly fast should be illegal.

Bring It On Home- Beautiful intro. Takes off just like you'd expect, shaking the foundation. Page gets in some speedy pull offs and Plant lays down some extra bloozy harmonica at 6:06. 7:30-8:00, nice soloing from Jim. The return is up-tempo and lacking any vocals. Overall a heavy, entertaining performance but feels sort of rough on the edges, and a bit rushed. Still an "A" I think.

Final Assessment- Zep only went to Ireland once  but it appears they got their money's worth. I'd dare call this one of the most important shows in their live history, debuting four tracks from their new album. And doing so in exemplary fashion. A soundboard of this would be a godsend although this recording is good enough to make the case for just how unrivaled the band was by this time. 

The very fact they went to Ireland at all during this period shows the massive balls the band had. The Troubles were going full force in the early-mid 70's and there was even the case of an Irish rock band, The Miami Showband, who was pulled over by what turned out to be British soldiers and UVF (Ulster Voluntary Force) soldiers which resulted in the murder of five people, three which were band members. I guess that explains why Robert's voice was hitting notes he never had before as his balls were likely tucked deep inside. 

3 hours ago, goodstudent said:

Well from Japan 71, imho Tokyo 24th is the best one (Plant`s singing is top here, maybe best from second part of 71). Will be interesting to compare it with Copenhagen and Dublin from Spring tours..

I agree, the 24th is my overall favorite Japan show. They got a little too relaxed in Osaka.

5 hours ago, goodstudent said:

Well from Japan 71, imho Tokyo 24th is the best one (Plant`s singing is top here, maybe best from second part of 71). Will be interesting to compare it with Copenhagen and Dublin from Spring tours..

I don't listen to the Japan shows too often, but my fav is the 23rd. I love STH and WLL from that one. Def agree that they got a little too loosey goosey by the time they got to Osaka (I should say compared to other 71 shows, Osaka shows are still great). In terms of Plant's voice, I think he sounds better in the Spring tour and also in the Fall UK tour.  

Nitpicking Page 3/6/1971 Dublin, Ireland (The Performance Of Kells- Wendy)

931ee0ba92575d2ccdd7d58787981eb6--robert-plant-led-zeppelin.png.25e4b07ab33fce3d3d25c87242075425.png1971-03-dublin_001_lzcom_0.png.4db15fe0d9edfb2fa04547e82d2a9691.pnghqdefault.png.536921bf6dd8842e373430e72facd300.png

Decent audience recording.

Immigrant Song- Fairly speedy tempo. Plant still sounding strong even after last night's show. Solo- distant, but sounds like a solid Page. Not quite as powerful overall as last night's version. "A".

Heartbreaker- 0:19, Plant says something inaudible just before the verse. Plant sounding great on the verses. Solo- smear section played well. Sounds good throughout. The return is done well for a solid version. "A".

SIBLY- Some mock harmonica from the tapers on the beginning might actually outshine the underwhelming intro from Page. Plant on the other hand is singing very passionately. Solo- flawless playing and excellent phrasing. Something missing from this performance though it's not bad. "B+". (8:20, a very American sounding accent)

Black Dog- Another fast tempo. 1:55, slight guitar flub. 2:27, Plant possibly improvising some lyrics. Plant sounding excellent throughout. Solo- a textbook blazing solo. "A+" overall. 

Stairway- Coming before Dazed in the set tonight. Plant starts by telling the audience to pipe down. Tempo rolling along quickly but sounding great, no noticeable flaws on the verses. Bonzo comes in playing very excitedly. 5:31, Page misses the first chords of the interlude. Solo- Bonzo just taking over the mix with Jimmy fighting for space. Jim holds his own though with a series of fluid phrasing throughout. 7:18, the ending phrase again isn't played, but it's no big deal as Plant comes in and nails the climax. Not perfect but another nice early version. "A-".

Dazed- excellent start with plenty of energy. First workout- Bonzo is game but Page is hesitant to match his enthusiasm, only playing some mild lead phrases. Bow section is just over four minutes. Second workout- 10:13, Page ripping some blistering runs. 11:06, cool descending riff. 12:56, possibly the most primal scream I've heard by Plant. Mars section sounding good as Plant throws in the signature vocal ad libs. The outro jam is strong to close this very solid version. Some excellent guitar work by Page. "A+".

GTC- A wonderful start is soon cut short at 1:30. 

WIAWSNB- Cuts in at the end.

WLL- Good start and the theremin section is well done. Solo- excellent. Boogie Chillen- strong start. Solo- flawless. Susie Q- Plant singing from the chest. Honey Bee- very good with a blazing, must hear solo from Page. The Lemon Song is short and sweet. That's Alright- takes off at a frantic pace. 19:18, Plant stops the verse to let Jimmy continue. The return is good and they bring this strong version to a close. "A".

CB- Energetic start with a blistering solo. The tape has some warbling issues but nothing too distracting. The breakdown features a funky "It's Your Thing" section and some noodling from Jones. Solid ending. "A".

C'mon Everybody- Apparently Phil Carson joins on bass. We get to hear exactly one note from Phil before the recording cuts off. 

Rock And Roll- Cuts in. Solo- very odd sounding build up as Page is using the wah (I think). The recording is very murky here but sounds like he nails some good wah enhanced phrasing. 1:52, a bad mix up as Plant misses the ending line. Not sure what to think of this unique version. Listening to the Belfast version again to see if the wah is present but the recording is just too distorted to tell. "B".

Final Assessment- The recording ends with the crowd chanting "We want more". The second show in Ireland is again an explosive ball of energy that any fan would be grateful to witness. Though I don't think the overall power and performance was as great as the Belfast show, this one seemed to have less nervous energy and was maybe more solid overall. Highlights are a very solid Dazed and some incredible soloing from Jim on the WLL medley. I'd give a leg to hear a complete tape with Phil Carson on C'mon Everybody.

Edited by gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 4/1/1971 London, England (Complete BBC Sessions, BBC Zep Original Master- Tarantura)

Although most of this BBC Radio broadcast was released officially it's worth noting that a good chunk was edited out. Here the original uncut performance is put under the microscope. 

Immigrant Song- Maybe it's the dry sound of this radio broadcast but Plant's vocals are lacking the usual power, even sounding quite scraggly on the opening note. Verses sounding good however. Solo- very controlled phrasing throughout, though a little hesitant. Where are those monstrous bends from the Belfast version? Not bad but not overly impressive. "B+".

Heartbreaker- Solid verses. Solo- excellent articulation throughout. Bouree is played well. The up-tempo section flows nicely with a near perfect Page. 4:25 however has some bad chording. The return is good for an overall solid version, though once again Page seems to be more reserved for the radio. "A-".

SIBLY- Perfectly phrased intro. Plant's conviction on the verses is very good and filled with emotion. Solo- again, although this is played superbly, Jimmy seems to be more controlled and doesn't shoot for the moon. Nothing to complain about though as it's a very good solo. Plant pushes harder on the return for some powerful vocals and the song ends nicely. "A".

Black Dog- Plant sounds very weak now after pushing himself on SIBLY. The twangy guitar tone leaves much to be desired. However it's evident that his tone changes on the sections between the verses to one with more gain, also on the solo. Plant doesn't even attempt the pre solo scream. Solo- Page more than makes up for the anemic verses with this monstrous set of phrasing and articulation. 4:02, perfect bends. 4:10-4:20 is simply astounding. Definitely worth sticking around for. "B+" overall but the solo is top tier.

Dazed- Solid takeoff. 3:25, Plant improvising some lyrics. First workout- almost non existent here. Bow solo- just over five minutes. Second workout- 10:56, promising start from Jimmy. 11:23, a little inarticulate on the ascending/descending runs. 13:01, interesting effect with Rob's vocals. 13:21, excellent lead work. Jimmy only hints at Mars. The climax comes in with flawless execution and the return sounds great. 16:19, the bass drum enters the mix out of nowhere. Outro feature solid wah noodling to bring it to a close. Pretty impressive version despite feeling short. "A".

Stairway- The mellotron coming though loud and clear. 1:27, unusually high vocals from Rob. Decent verses though Robert sings with a different feel throughout. Solo- Excellent start. 6:37, blazing run. 6:50, Page ends nicely as he's still yet to incorporate the actual studio phrase. Plant sounding surprisingly good on the climax, though noticeably less powerful than the Irish versions. Not a bad version but still a little unconfident sounding. "A-".

GTC- Takes a while to get going on this version as the tape isn't cut to the intro. Relaxed tempo. 2:15, Robert possibly misses the vocal cue here but comes in on the next bar. Jones sounding excellent on mandolin throughout. Very nice rendition for a yet still early version. "A".

That's The Way- A more lively tempo for this usually relaxed song. Jones again sounding fantastic, adding endless little phrases and accents. Very underrated as a mandolin player. Verses sound amazing. Honestly one of the better versions I can remember hearing. "A++".

WIAWSNB- Booming energy on the chorus. Solo- 2:06, a unique phrase. Pretty solid playing from Jim. The ending is energetic and played well.  3:50, strong vocals from Rob. Very good. "A+".

WLL- Bass comes in loud in the mix. Plenty of energy on this one. The freakout section is short and sweet and Jim knocks down a good solo. Boogie Chillen- Page kicks off the solo with some aggressive playing. 6:02, fantastic run. Bottle Up And Go thrown in and sounds great. Fixin To Die/That's Alright- expert pickin by Jim as he channels Scotty Moore. For What It's Worth played perfectly. Mess Of Blues- raunchy with some passionate vocals. Honey Bee- Page introducing the track with some "buzzing" guitar. Plant sounding exceptional now compared to the first half of the show. solo- 16:17, Page lays waste to the studio with this fiery run. 16:45, behind the nut bends. Plant hits an air raid scream to bring in the Coda to end it. Simply a standout version. "A++".

Thank You- Solid verses and organ work from Jones. Solo- an impressive showing here as Jim lets loose on some powerful phrases. Excellent solo and feels too short. Outro is played delicately to end a textbook version. "A".

Communication Breakdown- The soft ending of Thank You is quickly interrupted by an explosive intro. Pure energy on the verses. Solo- some unique phrasing in places as Page improvises some blazing runs and pull-offs. It's Your Thing section is funky and includes a small medley before returning to a walloping end theme. "A".

Final Assessment- A reluctant, nervous sounding start to the show quickly disappears once Dazed rolls around and the band starts firing on all cylinders. Plant takes a few numbers to warm up but hits his usual range once he does (The show was actually suppose to be a week earlier but got moved to let Plant rest his voice). Anyone who only listens to the official release is undoubtedly missing out on some prime material during the WLL medley. Highlights are a standout Black Dog solo, very solid That's The Way, and an amazing WLL.

Edited by gibsonfan159

7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 4/1/1971 London, England (Complete BBC Sessions, BBC Zep Original Master- Tarantura)

Although most of this BBC Radio broadcast was released officially it's worth noting that a good chunk was edited out. Here the original uncut performance is put under the microscope. 

Immigrant Song- Maybe it's the dry sound of this radio broadcast but Plant's vocals are lacking the usual power, even sounding quite scraggly on the opening note. Verses sounding good however. Solo- very controlled phrasing throughout, though a little hesitant. Where are those monstrous bends from the Belfast version? Not bad but not overly impressive. "B+".

Heartbreaker- Solid verses. Solo- excellent articulation throughout. Bouree is played well. The up-tempo section flows nicely with a near perfect Page. 4:25 however has some bad chording. The return is good for an overall solid version, though once again Page seems to be more reserved for the radio. "A-".

SIBLY- Perfectly phrased intro. Plant's conviction on the verses is very good and filled with emotion. Solo- again, although this is played superbly, Jimmy seems to be more controlled and doesn't shoot for the moon. Nothing to complain about though as it's a very good solo. Plant pushes harder on the return for some powerful vocals and the song ends nicely. "A".

Black Dog- Plant sounds very weak now after pushing himself on SIBLY. The twangy guitar tone leaves much to be desired. However it's evident that his tone changes on the sections between the verses to one with more gain, also on the solo. Plant doesn't even attempt the pre solo scream. Solo- Page more than makes up for the anemic verses with this monstrous set of phrasing and articulation. 4:02, perfect bends. 4:10-4:20 is simply astounding. Definitely worth sticking around for. "B+" overall but the solo is top tier.

Dazed- Solid takeoff. 3:25, Plant improvising some lyrics. First workout- almost non existent here. Bow solo- just over five minutes. Second workout- 10:56, promising start from Jimmy. 11:23, a little inarticulate on the ascending/descending runs. 13:01, interesting effect with Rob's vocals. 13:21, excellent lead work. Jimmy only hints at Mars. The climax comes in with flawless execution and the return sounds great. 16:19, the bass drum enters the mix out of nowhere. Outro feature solid wah noodling to bring it to a close. Pretty impressive version despite feeling short. "A".

Stairway- The mellotron coming though loud and clear. 1:27, unusually high vocals from Rob. Decent verses though Robert sings with a different feel throughout. Solo- Excellent start. 6:37, blazing run. 6:50, Page ends on a nicely as he's still yet to incorporate the actual studio phrase. Plant sounding surprisingly good on the climax, though noticeably less powerful than the Irish versions. Not a bad version but still a little unconfident sounding. "A-".

GTC- Takes a while to get going on this version as the tape isn't cut to the intro. Relaxed tempo. 2:15, Robert possibly misses the vocal cue here but comes in on the next bar. Jones sounding excellent on mandolin throughout. Very nice rendition for a yet still early version. "A".

That's The Way- A more lively tempo for this usually relaxed song. Jones again sounding fantastic, adding endless little phrases and accents. Very underrated as a mandolin player. Verses sound amazing. Honestly one of the better versions I can remember hearing. "A++".

WIAWSNB- Booming energy on the chorus. Solo- 2:06, a unique phrase. Pretty solid playing from Jim. The ending is energetic and played well.  3:50, strong vocals from Rob. Very good. "A+".

WLL- Bass comes in loud in the mix. Plenty of energy on this one. The freakout section is short and sweet and Jim knocks down a good solo. Boogie Chillen- Page kicks off the solo with some aggressive playing. 6:02, fantastic run. Bottle Up And Go thrown in and sounds great. Fixin To Die/That's Alright- expert pickin by Jim as he channels Scotty Moore. For What It's Worth played perfectly. Mess Of Blues- raunchy with some passionate vocals. Honey Bee- Page introducing the track with some "buzzing" guitar. Plant sounding exceptional now compared to the first half of the show. solo- 16:17, Page lays waste to the studio with this fiery run. 16:45, behind the nut bends. Plant hits an air raid scream to bring in the Coda to end it. Simply a standout version. "A++".

Thank You- Solid verses and organ work from Jones. Solo- an impressive showing here as Jim lets loose on some powerful phrases. Excellent solo and feels too short. Outro is played delicately to end a textbook version. "A".

Communication Breakdown- The soft ending of Thank You is quickly interrupted by an explosive intro. Pure energy on the verses. Solo- some unique phrasing in places as Page improvises some blazing runs and pull-offs. It's Your Thing section is funky and includes a small medley before returning to a walloping end theme. "A".

Final Assessment- A reluctant, nervous sounding start to the show quickly disappears once Dazed rolls around and the band starts firing on all cylinders. Plant takes a few numbers to warm up but hits his usual range once he does (The show was actually suppose to be a week earlier but got moved to let Plant rest his voice). Anyone who only listens to the official release is undoubtedly missing out on some prime material during the WLL medley. Highlights are a standout Black Dog solo, very solid That's The Way, and an amazing WLL.

Great show but as you pointed out, Robert's singing on STH is rather strange. To me it sounds like he is going for more a crooning approach to the song as his singing is really controlled and stylized. I have never heard him sing STH like he does here and thank god because IMO this approach simply does not work.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:55 AM, BobDobbs said:

Great show but as you pointed out, Robert's singing on STH is rather strange. To me it sounds like he is going for more a crooning approach to the song as his singing is really controlled and stylized. I have never heard him sing STH like he does here and thank god because IMO this approach simply does not work.

That's a good way of putting it. To my ears, it's always sounded self-conscious and veering on treating the lyrics as precious. My guess is that they knew they had something really special with Stairway and were trying their best to replicate the sound/vibe from the original LP for a potentially huge BBC audience (i.e. reaching casual radio listeners who maybe had never even heard of the band in early 71). I don't dislike this version - it's uniqueness makes it interesting; but at the same time don't listen to this show too often, aside from WLL,

Nitpicking Page 5/03/1971 Copenhagen, Denmark (Master Reel-revision/speed corrected)

71copenhagen-2.jpg.48b698d1ad3c53402ec21aec92c69e06.jpg813.jpg.bf2765b01b6da2c3af6d4af1abcfc3b8.jpg815.jpg.cb1a8e5cc6f5d3b32560324d04070e4f.jpgLed_Zeppelin_Robert_Plant_Copenhagen_1971.jpg.bf4af1f7be8405ce30816e284c4d1adc.jpg

A good audience recording, much improved over previous versions.

Immigrant Song- Off to a thunderous start and Plant's opening wails sounding powerful. 0:52, Rob pushing his vocals harder than usual. 1:32, again. Solo-  Jim does some warm up noodling to start but doesn't really come alive until 2:40 where he goes full anger mode. 2:44, sounds like Bonham beating the hell out of his ride cymbal. 3:18, nice aggressive bend. Excellent version. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Good verses. Solo- 2:08. I've never really critiqued the "behind the nut" bend before but this one stands out as amazing. Smear section is blistering and very articulate, ending on a menacing bend. Bouree done nicely. Up-tempo section flowing flawlessly. 4:23, speedy descending lick. The return is good to complete a seemingly perfect version. "A+". (Plant accosts the disruptive audience immediately afterwards.)

SIBLY- Excellent intro solo by Page. 1:56, Jimmy misses (or skips) this chord and it reduces the impact of the chorus dramatically. 2:55, air raid supreme. Solo- solid throughout but not the most aggressive playing I've heard for it. A good performance but for some reason it feels a little unconfident. Perhaps the unruly crowd is impacting things. "A-".

Dazed- Coming before Black Dog for whatever reason. The usual start with a short first workout. Bow section sounding menacing and lasting five minutes. Second workout- 10:50, intense vocal matching Page's notes. Decent noodling throughout but nothing overly impressive. 14:37, behind the nut bends. Mars comes in with thunderous energy. 16:30, Plant very hesitant with the lyrics. 16:48, banshee scream. Jim gets some excellent outro noodling in. Something missing from this one although it's certainly not bad. "A".

Black Dog- Powerful vocals and a speedy tempo. Solo- phrasing is a little erratic to start. 4:48-5:00, Page going bonkers for a few seconds with some very aggressive phrasing. Some lightning fingers on the ending phrases sounding just like the intro to "Eruption". "A".

Stairway- Recording gets a little more distant but the verses sound solid. 4:46, Plant air raid out of nowhere. Solo- fluid playing throughout with Page playing passionately. 7:46, gotta be one of the fastest ending phrases he's ever played, a shame it's barely audible. The climax is sang with precision and power by Robert to bring this standout version to a close. "A++".

GTC- Sounds good throughout. "A".

That's The Way- Jones' mando being low in the mix takes away from the magic a bit but it's a perfectly solid version. "A".

WIAWSNB- 1:26, powerful vocals. Solo- played quite well. Solid version. "A".

Four Sticks- Page starts with some experimental rhythms on the twelve string before kicking into the main riff. Plant's vocals are stunning throughout, sounding close to the album vocals. A shame the drums are buried in the mix. 5:10, Page attempts a makeshift solo before ending the song. Really not bad for a one off. "A".

Gallows Pole- And the rarities continue. Intro sounding good with accents from Bonzo and Jones. 1:37, once the second rhythm starts Page seems unable to find the correct timing, but it's nothing too off-putting. 2:57, again some powerful vocals from Robert. 3:27, Page struggling on these last phrases of the song. 4:08, airraid vocal almost identical to the album version. Page's outro solo is a bit lacking however. Obviously not a well rehearsed track. "B".

WLL- Plant introduces Richard Cole on tabla. Copenhagen, quite famous for out of time clapping and rivaled only by Japan. The usual start. Freakout is good and the solo is played nicely. Boogie Chillen- moving very fast. 5:52, Page goes for the stop/start rhythm but Bonham skips it, so Page quickly jumps to the solo, which is played awkwardly but decent. Bottle Up And Go has more energy as Page rips a mean solo. 7:40-7:50, Page on another level. That's Alright Mama- feels just a little rushed but played well. Mess O Blues- 10:38, Bonzo comes in early but they keep it together, though it does hurt the impact of the opening. Solo is played well. Plant comes back in while Jim just keeps going. Honey Bee- 14:33, Bonham changing up the beat. Solo- 15:02, Page just takes off into the stratosphere like it's nothing. It's seriously the most impressive set of runs, phrasing, and articulation I think I've ever heard from him, just ridiculously perfect playing here. 18:02, Plant's almost perfect air raid gets choked off at the top note. Still very impressive for 1971. The return and outro sounds good as this top notch medley closes down. Some of the songs felt rushed and some had some minor flubs, but overall this was a pretty good run through. I'll still hold it at an "A-" considering some notable mishaps.

Communication Breakdown- Perfect energy and verses. Solo- Page fires up the wah pedal and gets in his lightning fingered zone once again. Perfect. The "It's Your Thing" section gets expanded significantly with an amazing bass solo from Jones. Plant jumps in with Celebration Day as Jim tries to improvise something that matches, resulting in a unique little jam section. Jimmy eventually finds his way to the coda to end the song. A standout, unique version. "A++"'

MMH- (First live performance) 2:50, sounds like the guitar and Rhodes piano aren't in tune with each other. Verses are done fairly well. Solo is played decently. Plant's last lyrics are interrupted by an awkward solo by Page to end the song. Plant ends by singing "I really don't know" which seems to be in jest of this off the wall attempt. "B".

Rock and Roll- Recording gets pretty murky but sounds like an ok start. Solo- Page seems to forget some of the phrasing and wings it. Not too bad but definitely sounds off. Also noticed Plant's vocals are less powerful on these encores. An odd though energetic version. "A-".

Final Assessment- A standout Plant gig but also features some very impressive moments by Jimmy. The band were obviously itching to try out some new live material whether for good or bad. Plant warns that the material is raw and it is, with Gallows Pole sounding like it was made up on the spot. Highlights are Immigrant Song and Stairway, both boosted by a phenomenal Plant and solid playing by Page. Communication Breakdown also being played exceptionally with some bonus material. Don't let the "A-" on WLL fool you though. Aside from a few flubs it features some noteworthy, must hear work by Page. 

Edited by gibsonfan159

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 5/03/1971 Copenhagen, Denmark (Master Reel-revision/speed corrected)

71copenhagen-2.jpg.48b698d1ad3c53402ec21aec92c69e06.jpg813.jpg.bf2765b01b6da2c3af6d4af1abcfc3b8.jpg815.jpg.cb1a8e5cc6f5d3b32560324d04070e4f.jpgLed_Zeppelin_Robert_Plant_Copenhagen_1971.jpg.bf4af1f7be8405ce30816e284c4d1adc.jpg

A good audience recording, much improved over previous versions.

Immigrant Song- Off to a thunderous start and Plant's opening wails sounding powerful. 0:52, Rob pushing his vocals harder than usual. 1:32, again. Solo-  Jim does some warm up noodling to start but doesn't really come alive until 2:40 where he goes full anger mode. 2:44, sounds like Bonham beating the hell out of his ride cymbal. 3:18, nice aggressive bend. Excellent version. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Good verses. Solo- 2:08. I've never really critiqued the "behind the nut" bend before but this one stands out as amazing. Smear section is blistering and very articulate, ending on a menacing bend. Bouree done nicely. Up-tempo section flowing flawlessly. 4:23, speedy descending lick. The return is good to complete a seemingly perfect version. "A+". (Plant accosts the disruptive audience immediately afterwards.)

SIBLY- Excellent intro solo by Page. 1:56, Jimmy misses (or skips) this chord and it reduces the impact of the chorus dramatically. 2:55, air raid supreme. Solo- solid throughout but not the most aggressive playing I've heard for it. A good performance but for some reason it feels a little unconfident. Perhaps the unruly crowd is impacting things. "A-".

Dazed- Coming before Black Dog for whatever reason. The usual start with a short first workout. Bow section sounding menacing and lasting five minutes. Second workout- 10:50, intense vocal matching Page's notes. Decent noodling throughout but nothing overly impressive. 14:37, behind the nut bends. Mars comes in with thunderous energy. 16:30, Plant very hesitant with the lyrics. 16:48, banshee scream. Jim gets some excellent outro noodling in. Something missing from this one although it's certainly not bad. "A".

Black Dog- Powerful vocals and a speedy tempo. Solo- phrasing is a little erratic to start. 4:48-5:00, Page going bonkers for a few seconds with some very aggressive phrasing. Some lightning fingers on the ending phrases sounding just like the intro to "Eruption". "A".

Stairway- Recording gets a little more distant but the verses sound solid. 4:46, Plant air raid out of nowhere. Solo- fluid playing throughout with Page playing passionately. 7:46, gotta be one of the fastest ending phrases he's ever played, a shame it's barely audible. The climax is sang with precision and power by Robert to bring this standout version to a close. "A++".

GTC- Sounds good throughout. "A".

That's The Way- Jones' mando being low in the mix takes away from the magic a bit but it's a perfectly solid version. "A".

WIAWSNB- 1:26, powerful vocals. Solo- played quite well. Solid version. "A".

Four Sticks- Page starts with some experimental rhythms on the twelve string before kicking into the main riff. Plant's vocals are stunning throughout, sounding close to the album vocals. A shame the drums are buried in the mix. 5:10, Page attempts a makeshift solo before ending the song. Really not bad for a one off. "A".

Gallows Pole- And the rarities continue. Intro sounding good with accents from Bonzo and Jones. 1:37, once the second rhythm starts Page seems unable to find the correct timing, but it's nothing to off-putting. 2:57, again some powerful vocals from Robert. 3:27, Page struggling on these last phrases of the song. 4:08, airraid vocal almost identical to the album version. Page's outro solo is a bit lacking however. Obviously not a well rehearsed track. "B".

WLL- Plant introduces Richard Cole on tabla. Copenhagen, quite famous for out of time clapping and rivaled only by Japan. The usual start. Freakout is good and the solo is played nicely. Boogie Chillen- moving very fast. 5:52, Page goes for the stop/start rhythm but Bonham skips it, so Page quickly jumps to the solo, which is played awkwardly but decent. Bottle Up And Go has more energy as Page rips a mean solo. 7:40-7:50, Page on another level. That's Alright Mama- feels just a little rushed but played well. Mess O Blues- 10:38, Bonzo comes in early but they keep it together, though it does hurt the impact of the opening. Solo is played well. Plant comes back in while Jim just keeps going. Honey Bee- 14:33, Bonham changing up the beat. Solo- 15:02, Page just takes off into the stratosphere like it's nothing. It's seriously the most impressive set of runs, phrasing, and articulation I think I've ever heard from him, just ridiculously perfect playing here. 18:02, Plant's almost perfect air raid gets choked off at the top note. Still very impressive for 1971. The return and outro sounds good as this top notch medley closes down. Some of the songs felt rushed and some had some minor flubs, but overall this was a pretty good run through. I'll still hold it at an "A-" considering some notable mishaps.

Communication Breakdown- Perfect energy and verses. Solo- Page fires up the wah pedal and gets in his lightning fingered zone once again. Perfect. The "It's Your Thing" section gets expanded significantly with an amazing bass solo from Jones. Plant jumps in with Celebration Day as Jim tries to improvise something that matches, resulting in a unique little jam section. Jimmy eventually finds his way to the coda to end the song. A standout, unique version. "A++"'

MMH- (First live performance) 2:50, sounds like the guitar and Rhodes piano aren't in tune with each other. Verses are done fairly well. Solo is played decently. Plant's last lyrics are interrupted by an awkward solo by Page to end the song. Plant ends by singing "I really don't know" which seems to be in jest of this off the wall attempt. "B".

Rock and Roll- Recording gets pretty murky but sounds like an ok start. Solo- Page seems to forget some of the phrasing and wings it. Not too bad but definitely sounds off. Also noticed Plant's vocals are less powerful on these encores. An odd though energetic version. "A-".

Final Assessment- A standout Plant gig but also features some very impressive moments by Jimmy. The band were obviously itching to try out some new live material whether for good or bad. Plant warns that the material is raw and it is, with Gallows Pole sounding like it was made up on the spot. Highlights are Immigrant Song and Stairway, both boosted by a phenomenal Plant and solid playing by Page. Communication Breakdown also being played exceptionally with some bonus material. Don't let the "A-" on WLL fool you though. Aside from a few flubs it features some noteworthy, must hear work by Page. 

Wow Thanks for the review! This show is in my Top 3

^ Same here. The recently revised version breathes new life into it, it's incredible. I like how in some parts of Dazed and some other songs from this night, Plant doesn't even bother with enunciating the lyrics, he just makes vocal sounds. It sounds like he's "feeling the spirit" and just emoting, and it works really well.

• 3 weeks later...

Nitpicking Page 7/5/1971 Milan, Italy (Two source merge)

Only a partial audience recording exists of this as the show was cut short due to confrontation between the audience and security.

1174189426_download(2).jpg.a6e550c39437c90cb76d09f11290ce76.jpg137044146_download(3).jpg.4a72038272d9eb10bdc9ebfdaacbae52.jpg733291217_download(1).jpg.058f1c480731fbacb61d559107ac3ca9.jpg2132673833_download(4).jpg.85d1d9e47d6c2b7f6d4c1bf51e5ddbc4.jpg

Good sounding audience sources.

SIBLY- Cuts in. Plant sounding as powerful as ever on the verses. Solo- textbook playing from Jim, no flaws. 4:00, a vocal strong enough to collapse the roof. 4:30, some off notes by Page. "A-".

Black Dog- Very up tempo. 1:55, some improvised lyrics. Solo- Sounds good throughout. "A".

Dazed- A good start. Unfortunately the tape sources cut in and out during the verses. The first workout is basically non existent and the bow section just over four minutes. Second workout- Page gets off to a blistering start. Excellent playing throughout. Mars has Bonham matching Page's playing this time. 15:04, Jimmy shredding on the outro. A solid showing with Plant again sounding strong. "A+".

WLL- Page gets experimental with the intro. 1:27, tear gas cannisters can be heard exploding as the local police force decides the crowd is becoming too unruly, cutting the show short. No rating.

Final assessment- Plant puts on a superhuman performance that almost destroys the house PA and also the taper's microphone. An absolute shame we don't have more. The rest of the band are on fire as well, right up until the Italian police decide they don't like the energy of rock music. I hope Pavarotti kept them satisfied for the next few decades.

Nitpicking Page 8/7/1971 Montreux, Switzerland (Eddie Edwards Remaster)

419030462_download(4).jpg.ee7e05bc6f1e9cb34b5aca8975994d65.jpgdownload.jpg.c58eb565c31cb1952f82fd5a22a6b9f7.jpg

Immigrant Song- Plant's opening battle cries are spot on and his vocals are very up front in the mix. Excellent verses. Solo- Page builds nicely, working his way up to a peak of speedy pull offs and descending for the finish. "A".

Heartbreaker- Page's opening bend is sustained a little longer before going into an energetic tempo. Solo- smear section is actually quite articulate. He rushes through Bouree before doing some unique riffs to kick off the fast part. 3:58, throwing in the "rockabilly" phrasing. Page plays near flawlessly throughout with good, aggressive phrasing. The finish is strong. "A". (Plant mentions that they played Italy and "It was a different scene altogether").

SIBLY- The recording is as clear of an audience tape as you'll ever hear. 0:34, Jones playing some more soulful notes. Solid intro and verses. Solo- A bit of awkward phrasing to start but he keeps it together. Not bad. The return is decent but the flow of the performance feels very uneven, almost dragging in spots. "B+".

Black Dog- Plant sounding identical to the album version. The tempo however is much faster. 1:55, "I got a girl, gonna steal my soul, gonna make me beg, gonna make me roll". Excellent verses. Solo- 3:47, unique phrasing. 4:14, Page getting loose with these bends. Far from the most articulate solo but Page makes the strained bends work. "A-", only subtracting because Page has played the solo much better. 

Dazed- 2:52, slight guitar flub. Plant sounding incredibly powerful. First workout still hasn't developed yet and is over quickly. Bow section lasts just over four minutes and receives an applause. Second workout- Jimmy wastes no time getting off to the races. Good fluid playing throughout. The Mars section comes out of nowhere but played well. The climax is very up tempo before they finally slow back down.  16:37, interesting phrasing from Jones on the outro as Page shreds some wah licks. A pretty solid and energetic version, but felt a bit rushed. "A".

Stairway- Some tape warble on the recording. Maybe I'm wrong but Jones plays the intro very different here. 1:37, guitar flub. 4:15, lyric flub. Solo- Recording gets murky but Page sounds good. Climax- Plant nailing the vocals. Outro- 8:20, Plant not nailing the vocals as he sings "Heaven" off key. I know it's still in it's early stages here, but I'd have to go "B" for this one.

GTC- Another speedy tempo. Played perfectly throughout. "A".

That's The Way- Keeping the energy going. Nice mandolin work from Jones and Plant sings with emotion. "A". (Plant mentions "We're making a bootleg album tonight").

Celebration Day (First performance)- 0:49, flub as Rob sings the chorus but no one joins him. First solo-  good. Outro solo- hard to make out but Page's twelve string phrases sound good. A little loose. "B+".

WIAWSNB- solid start. Solo- Page struggles badly to get going but gets on track when Bonham joins in. The outro is played well with lots of energy. "B+".

WLL- Thunderous start. 3:14, Plant has a shouting match with the audience as Jimmy's freakout section is inaudible. Solo- excellent. Boogie Chillen- Played well with a solid solo. That's Alright- Good with Page shredding perfectly on the solo and going into an extended jam afterwards. Ramble On- Plant goes into the vocals and the others join in as if it were planned. 11:20, a primal roar from Rob before he gives some social commentary to the crowd. 13:12, some more blues improv including "I'm A Man". Honey Bee- 16:00, these solo sections are always a must hear as Page shreds an incredible blues routine. 20:00, the return is good as Plant nails the air raid vocal. The medley felt a little short but still an "A+".

Weekend- Verses sound good and Page plays a simple but decent solo. A fairly solid rendition of the Eddie Cochran cover. "A".

Final Assessment- Another phenomenal gig for Plant as he wails and moans to maximum ability. The band overall sounded more loose however, but it's fair considering they had a month off since the Milan show. Despite the looseness there's plenty of energy and enthusiasm making for some good highlights. The opening numbers are as solid as ever. Dazed is played at it's normally thunderous level. The acoustic section is done very well. The main standout in my opinion is Whole Lotta Love as Plant taunts the audience with aggressive vocals and Page burns through some excellent blues leads on the medleys. 

Nitpicking Page 8/21/1971 Inglewood, CA (Source Merge)

Decent audience sources with Bonham's kick drum crowding the recording.

Immigrant song- Bonham dominating the mix with the bass almost nonexistent. Plant's opening notes are decent though he sounds somewhat tired on parts of the verses. Solo- Very murky recording. Hesitant in places but overall not bad. "A-".

Heartbreaker- 1:00, with the drums up front you can really hear all the little accents Bonham plays. Good verses. Solo- Smear section sounds solid. Bouree- good. Unfortunately the recording takes a dive on the fast section and makes it impossible to judge. If I had to take a guess I'd say he nailed it. "A".

SIBLY- Intro and verses sound excellent. Solo- Page leaves the planet on the opening runs and lays down some top notch phrasing with tons of feel. Masterful solo, one of the best I've heard for this song. The return has tons of energy and emotion as Plant sings with compassion. "A+".

Black Dog- Robert's voice sounding a little scratchy. 2:38, Plant improvising new lyrics throughout. Solo- good start. 4:45, a bit hesitant with the phrasing. 4:55, Page fires off a series of lightning fast bends and pulloffs. For 1971, "A-". Certainly a unique version lyric wise.

Dazed- Although Bonham is crowding the mix it's interesting to hear the accents and nuances he does, which is otherwise near inaudible on audience sources. First workout quickly leads to the bow section, lasting nearly five minutes. 9:40, the bass drum sounding like thunder. Second workout- Page quickly launches into shred mode. 12:45, sounds like Bonham's earliest rendition of "The Crunge". Mars is played well. Page misses a chord on the climax, but nothing major. Plant sounding rough on the return. The outro jam sounds great as Bonham rattles the walls for the ending. Fairly solid version. "A".

Stairway- 2:38, lyric flub, otherwise good verses. 5:54, Bonzo and Jones out of sync. Solo- Page is so low in the mix it's just impossible to judge. The climax sounds decent as this one winds down. Some obvious flubs keep this at a "B+". (Plant dedicates the next track to "The bootleggers from last time", possibly eluding to Blueberry Hill.)

Celebration Day- Feedback screeches throughout as the recording gets worse. First solo- good. Outro- inaudible. No rating.

That's The Way- Solid performance. "A".

GTC- An excellent vocal performance as Plant puts emphasis on every word. "A+".

WIAWSNB- Verses sound good. Solo- not great as Page again struggles to get the slide routine started. Outro sounds decent although Plant's vocal power has clearly diminished. "B+".

WLL- The usual start. 1:36, huge firework explosion. Freakout section- 3:10, some interesting phrasing from the rhythm section. 4:00, a nice rock jam. 5:14, Page does some different phrasing on the solo which sounds great. Bonham also throwing in some fills. Boogie Chillen- 7:07, Plant improvising lyrics. Page gets the usual excellent solo in. After dabbling with the "It's Your Thing" riff the band move through "Movin On" and "That's Alright", the latter featuring a blazing solo from Jim. The "For What It's Worth" melody is started but Plant doesn't get on board and Jimmy just solos through it. Mess Of Blues- good verses and Page nails the solo. 17:11, Bonham a little sloppy with this transition. "Got A Lot Of Livin To Do" sounds great. Honey Bee- 22:34, and there it is, God mode Page. Very nice. The return and outro are good to end a fantastic set of medleys. Solid "A" overall but maybe not the best I've heard.

Weekend- Solid throughout with a flawless solo. "A+".

Rock And Roll- Verses sounding good with plenty of energy. Solo- a little hard to make out but seemingly flawless. Plant destroying what vocal chords are left at the end with "Tiiiime!". "A+".

CB- More fireworks to get things started. Perfect energy. Solo- Page gets in plenty of wah noodling. After a short drum and bass funk jam they bring it to a close. Not bad. "A".

Thank You- After a skippable organ intro the song gets going. Verses sounding good. Solo- Page starting off with relaxed phrasing. 3:30, still reserving some energy. I've definitely heard more explosive solos from Page here which renders this one slightly disappointing. "B+".

Final Assessment- A little rough around the edges but this show certainly has some highlights. Plant may not be his usually powerful self but the mood and solo on SIBLY are excellent. Dazed and WLL are both very solid with Page in the zone. Acoustic section and encores are flawless. Stairway however was a bit uneven this time around and Page refused to go all out on the Thank You solo. This is the first show so far where I can hear a distinct difference in the power of Robert's vocals. Not just an "Off night" either, but a tonal change. We'll see how he fares moving forward. 

I've always loved this show, but Bonzo sounds a little off on some of the numbers. It sounds like he's dropping the beat on Black Dog, and on Rock and Roll it doesn't sound the way he normally plays it - which is kinda cool but also throws me off when I listen to it.

Nitpicking Page 8/22/1971 Inglewood, CA (Master Reel)

hqdefault.jpg.e03cdf2474263509cadc15bdfdc6b95f.jpg1971-08-22---la-1-.jpg.a022dfd677689ef3aaf6b50ffdb6e1af.jpg1971-08-22---la-2--.jpg.ffb6283ef831189e497d151de9cbfe32.jpgla71b_0.png.e376cda127b8d575bf8ddf6f52dac042.png

Good audience source.

Walk Don't Run- A short warm up jam before they get started, possibly done to check their equipment or the PA.

Immigrant Song- Bonzo jumps into the drum beat but everyone else waits a measure to join in, with feedback squawking from a mic. Plant again sounding hoarse and lacking power, squeaking out some pathetic opening wails. The energy is somewhat lackluster as well. Solo- Page loosens up with the usual series of pulloffs before jumping into some excellent, steadily played phrases. Not exactly an impressive start but Jim seems to be playing well so far. "B".

Heartbreaker- Maybe it's an effect of tape warbling but Jimmy's opening riff is off key. Plant sounding a bit more tolerable, feedback still screeching. Verses are good. Solo- the initial guitar noodling sounds good and appropriately raunchy. Smear section played well. 3:20, some unique phrases. Bouree is solid. Someone near the taper says "Just listen to him" before Page launches into the fast section, which is played flawlessly throughout. The return is good and Plant has improved slightly. "A-".

SIBLY- Jim's opening phrases sound different and somewhat hesitant. 1:30, now here we go. Jones' bass pedal doesn't come through and it creates a very two dimensional sound, lacking impact. Verses are decent. Solo- Page nails down another good one. The return verses are more energetic as they wind down. Just felt like their heart wasn't in this one. "B+".

Black Dog- Plant sounding more confident now and the tempo is excellent. Robert gets experimental with the lyrics throughout. Solo- a simply astounding routine from Jim, playing very aggressively and nailing every bend and run. Despite the unique lyrics I'll still go "A+" with that solo.

Dazed- 2:59, Robert improvising with the vocal melody. Bow solo clocks in at almost six minutes. Second workout- Page goes wild straight out of the gate. Unfortunately the recording gets murkier. 12:45, some unique phrasing. 14:20, a little sloppy on these runs. Page gets back on track for some solid noodling. Mars is a little loose but not bad. The climax is solid and the band put down a good outro. Not bad. "A-".

Stairway- Plant tells the audience to be quiet but I haven't heard them make a sound yet. Some tape warble makes things sound off key. 2:15, vocal ad libs. Verses are done fairly well. Solo- recording goes to hell here as Jim is barely audible. Sounds decent enough though. Plant is okay on the climax but doesn't attempt anything crazy. Outro is good. Definitely a unique version but considering the recording takes such a dive I'll avoid rating.

Celebration Day- 0:52, rough transition from Page and Plant sings the chorus with a scratchy voice. 1:51, Plant talks over the solo, which is played well. 2:12, some more bad chording. Solo- impossible to make out any details but sounds decent. A very awkward version. "C+". (Plant mentions that his voice is "Really fucked" before beginning the next number).

That's The Way- Solid verses. 3:53, excellent mandolin phrasing by Jones. Plant's voice may not be strong but he's giving it 100%. "A".

WIAWSNB- Verses are remarkably good from Plant. Solo- a sluggish start but he straightens out for the end of it. Plant attempts the outro vocals but reserves himself. "B".

Moby Dick- Plant introduces the track but Page is tuning up. A solid drum solo, nothing remarkable.

WLL- The intro jam goes on seemingly forever and Page's guitar tone is godly. 4:38, the crowd's clapping matching Page's tempo as he speeds up is remarkable. Solo- played well with a unique phrase at 5:04. Boogie Chillen- played loosely with Page doing some abstract stuff for the solo. The band improvise some unique blues riffs throughout before playing the "It's Your Thing" riff. "My Baby Left Me" sounds good with a nice solo from Page. "Mess Of Blues" takes off well. 15:30, I've used the word "Raunchy" to describe Page's solos before but this one defines it. You Shook Me- good start. Solo- Page blasts off and circles the globe a few times with some behind the nut bends. 20:08, Jim peaking for this show. Plant breaks out a solid harmonica solo. 22:33, Plant teasing some 1969 air-raids. 23:05, he actually gets a decent one in here. The return sounds good as they bring it to a close. A refreshing amount of energy for this oddball show. "A+".

CB- Page kicks off with some riffs similar to the WLL intro. The verses sound good as Plant wails wildly. Solo- excellent start as Jim works his way through a decent set of phrasing. 4:50, some experimental jamming as Jones improvises a bit. The return and outro are played well. An off shoot version but it's worth a listen. "A".

Thank You- Solid start. Solo- excellent phrasing throughout and a huge step up from the previous night. Despite the murky recording this one stands out as special. "A+".

Final Assessment- It's shows like this that remind one that the band actually weren't Gods on earth. They weren't mythological beings who traveled from a netherworld to perform for mere humans. They were just some people playing music together and sometimes they had off nights. But even the off nights had some standout performances. Black Dog features an exceptional solo, WLL is unique from start to finish, and Thank You is very impressive. Arguably the worst recorded show of 1971 so far.

Edited by gibsonfan159

Great assessment. This show is a recent fav of mine, I love it. Jimmy absolutely carried this one. My theory is that Robert and Bonzo partied harder than normal the night before and didn't sleep much. You can hear they're both dragging ass but slowly get into the groove as the night goes on. In typical Zep fashion, they rally by WLL and the encores. I also love the stuff he's doing in the DAC outro. It's from "White Summer" but not the full-on song version so it's more "White Summer-ish" which I actually like a lot better. He's playing with those guitar lines to suit the solo. Very pretty, Eastern and trippy-sounding like something you'd hear from the Dead.  

It probably says something about my personality that I love these "underdog" shows so much lol (straying off topic a little here). The shows where they start off tepid but then get stronger and really come through at the end are some of my favs.

Edited by 1975NQ

Nitpicking Page 8/23/1971 Ft Worth, TX (Pernod Revision)

houston71-a_0.jpg.d7468251f48b2d51c79940bc21f30f14.jpgimage0.jpg.5fd4969cf0ec6c487367586bb8d48dac.jpg

Extremely clear audience recording with Jimmy up front in the mix. Unfortunately incomplete.

Dazed (cuts in)- Page adequately mesmerizes the audience with the bow section. Second workout- excellent start. 8:33, a little sticky. 10:48, nice wails by Rob. 11:00-11:08, Jimmy Van Halen. Mars is played well as the performance builds up to a nice peak. Jimmy puts the wah to work on the outro to end a seemingly decent version for what we have. "B+". 

Stairway- Jones is non-existent in the recording. Jimmy's playing doesn't flow perfectly through the verses but it's nothing too noticeable. Bonham's drum tuning sounds unusual for this. Solo- Excellent start with fluid phrasing. 7:25, gets hung up on this phrase until he finds somewhere else to go. Final phrases are played well. Robert sounds good on the climax and the outro is perfect. "B+".

Celebration Day- Playing loosely as usual. Solo- good. It takes Jimmy a full bar to jump back to the rhythm. Outro solo- chaotic is an understatement but Jim holds it together fairly well. Getting better with each performance but still very loose. "B+".

That's The Way- Perfection all the way through with beautiful mandolin from Jones. 5:00, very nice vocal harmonizing. Possibly the best version I've heard yet. "A++".

WIAWSNB- Solid verses though the tempo is a bit relaxed this time around. Solo- Jimmy knocks it down fairly well. Outro- 3:54, throwing in some extra phrases. Not bad at all. "A".

MD- A bit too straight forward in my opinion. Cuts out near the end.

WLL- More experimental riffing to get started. Verses sounding good. The freakout section is adequately freaky. Solo- good up until the last phrase which is played unusually. Boogie Chillen- 8:00-8:15, Jimmy leaves the earth for these runs. Bottle Up And Go- 10:08, a mix up as Bonzo mistimes the beat. Otherwise very good. Mess Of Blues- Page's solo is somewhat awkwardly phrased but it all works out. You Shook Me- Verses sound great. Solo- Page takes off on some gritty runs. 18:50-20:00, phrasing perfection. Some of the nastiest playing ever. 20:54, mild air raid. 21:18, they switch up to a different rhythm where Page once again goes wild. Plant gets another good scream in before the return and outro. Some top notch playing by Jim but the medley overall wasn't as solid as other ones. "B+".

CB- The taper is now much further away and the recording cuts out. 

Final Assessment- Not the most precise performance overall but definitely has some standouts. Highlights are a perfect That's The Way, solid WIAWSNB, and some otherworldly guitar work on WLL. Robert comments on his vocal struggles but they're much better than previous shows. The rest of this one would be very interesting but what we have leaves a good impression.  

Edited by gibsonfan159

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 8/23/1971 Ft Worth, TX (Pernod Revision)

houston71-a_0.jpg.d7468251f48b2d51c79940bc21f30f14.jpgimage0.jpg.5fd4969cf0ec6c487367586bb8d48dac.jpg

Extremely clear audience recording with Jimmy up front in the mix. Unfortunately incomplete.

Dazed (cuts in)- Page adequately mesmerizes the audience with the bow section. Second workout- excellent start. 8:33, a little sticky. 10:48, nice wails by Rob. 11:00-11:08, Jimmy Van Halen. Mars is played well as the performance builds up to a nice peak. Jimmy puts the wah to work on the outro to end a seemingly decent version for what we have. "A-".

Stairway- Jones is non-existent in the recording. Jimmy's playing doesn't flow perfectly through the verses but it's nothing too noticeable. Bonham's drum tuning sounds unusual for this. Solo- Excellent start with fluid phrasing. 7:25, gets hung up on this phrase until he finds somewhere else to go. Final phrases are played well. Robert sounds good on the climax and the outro is perfect. "A-".

Celebration Day- Playing loosely as usual. Solo- good. It takes Jimmy a full bar to jump back to the rhythm. Outro solo- chaotic is an understatement but Jim holds it together fairly well. Getting better with each performance but still very loose. "B+".

That's The Way- Perfection all the way through with beautiful mandolin from Jones. 5:00, very nice vocal harmonizing. Possibly the best version I've heard yet. "A++".

WIAWSNB- Solid verses though the tempo is a bit relaxed this time around. Solo- Jimmy knocks it down fairly well. Outro- 3:54, throwing in some extra phrases. Not bad at all. "A".

MD- A bit too straight forward in my opinion. Cuts out near the end.

WLL- More experimental riffing to get started. Verses sounding good. The freakout section is adequately freaky. Solo- good up until the last phrase which is played unusually. Boogie Chillen- 8:00-8:15, Jimmy leaves the earth for these runs. Bottle Up And Go- 10:08, a mix up as Bonzo mistimes the beat. Otherwise very good. Mess Of Blues- Page's solo is somewhat awkwardly phrased but it all works out. You Shook Me- Verses sound great. Solo- Page takes off on some gritty runs. 18:50-20:00, phrasing perfection. Some of the nastiest playing ever. 20:54, mild air raid. 21:18, they switch up to a different rhythm where Page once again goes wild. Plant gets another good scream in before the return and outro. Some top notch playing by Jim but the medley overall wasn't as solid as other ones. "B+".

CB- The taper is now much further away and the recording cuts out. 

Final Assessment- Not the most precise performance overall but definitely has some standouts. Highlights are a perfect That's The Way, solid WIAWSNB, and some otherworldly guitar work on WLL. Robert comments on his vocal struggles but they're much better than previous shows. The rest of this one would be very interesting but what we have leaves a good impression.  

That is indeed a smoking version of D&C.  Nice eerie violin bow solo too.

18 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

That is indeed a smoking version of D&C.  Nice eerie violin bow solo too.

Yes it is! And apparently Squeaky Fromme (pun intended) was in attendance that night. Her psychotic shrieks of delight really add something to the ambience.