Alex Lifeson and other's performing 'Battle of Evermore' and 'Stairway To Heaven'

For the last few years, Canadian pop rock singer and songwriter Andy Kim hosts a Christmas charity concert in Toronto.

Yesterday, Alex Lifeson of RUSH was part of the lineup with other Canadian acts involved.

Near the closing of the concert, there was a medley performance of 'Battle of Evermore' and 'Stairway To Heaven'.

On a side note, I think Kevin Comeau of Crown Lands is playing Alex's Gibson EDS-1275 doubleneck guitar as they are standing beside one another. Both Kevin and Alex are switching guitars at the same time before the truncated version of 'Stairway To Heaven' is being played.

The individual singing the Led Zeppelin songs is Cody Bowles of Crown Lands.

I also think Alex wanted to acknowledge the 50th Anniversary milestone of Led Zeppelin IV somehow with the song choices being performed live at the concert.

Edited by RushFanForever
Correcting YouTube URL

5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Thank you contributing this!  LOVED IT!  Alex is still WAAAYYY too good to retire.  Really liked the arrangement and all the musicians and singers were spot on!  Thanks again!

really?  to me BOE is totally wrong they did a better job with the end of STH although  some of the vocals were a bit rough  Alex's solo was right on. He is a total fan of Jimmy.

Edited by hummingbird69

6 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

really?  to me BOE is totally wrong they did a better job with the end of STH although  some of the vocals were a bit rough  Alex's solo was right on. He is a total fan of Jimmy.

Have to agree, you are spot on. BOE works because it's minimalistic, the vocals in stark contrast to the music, a battle between the words & music. You make it too busy and it just loses something IMO.

I did not love it. I did not hate it. Just okay, I guess, and since it was for a worthy cause, good for them. But let's face it, it is hard to find vocalists out there today the equal of circa 1971 Robert Plant and Sandy Denny. That unique ethereal quality those two had together will never be matched.

Best part for me was Alex playing the Stairway guitar solo.

I should mention that I've given a recent shout-out to Crown Lands in the Canadian Music Thread below.

Kevin and Cody have admitted that their influences are Led Zeppelin, RUSH, and Genesis.

If you click on the August 22, 2020 link, you'll see my post.

Edited by RushFanForever

On 12/10/2021 at 6:59 AM, BobDobbs said:

Alex always gets it, the man is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. I love Alex, great player, great guy.

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

As a proud Canadian who grew up one Rush I approve this message. They all seem like amazing guys. 

He was fantastic in "Trailer Park Boys", too!

14 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

As a proud Canadian who grew up one Rush I approve this message. They all seem like amazing guys. 

They do at that. Such a loss regarding Neal. He was a bit of an odd duck for shunning the spotlight and wanting anything to do with fans but honestly, I understand and respected his position on the subject is fans are kinda a weird concept when you think about it. I mean, it's one thing to love someone's music and respect and admire them but its quite another to act as if you know them.

Anyway, always wanted to meet the Rush guys, saw them around 9 or 10 times live from 83' on. Great band, always had a good time, never disappointed.