Happy Veterans Day

The Only Way To Fly

Too all the Veterans in this forum, Thank you for your service. These are photos of my Grandfather somewhere in the South Pacific in 1945 and my Father somewhere in Turkey in 1967. I never wore the uniform but did work at military bases throughout Iraq and Afghanistan for more than 10 years. Thanks to all who've worn the uniform. 

Grandpa Herman.jpeg

dad.png

11 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Too all the Veterans in this forum, Thank you for your service. These are photos of my Grandfather somewhere in the South Pacific in 1945 and my Father somewhere in Turkey in 1967. I never wore the uniform but did work at military bases throughout Iraq and Afghanistan for more than 10 years. Thanks to all who've worn the uniform. 

Grandpa Herman.jpeg

The Enola Gay, a B29 Superfortress and one of the most iconic aircraft in America's history.

While in the Pacific it only flew missions from a few different airfields (Guam, North Field on Tinian Island and Kwajalein Island) The name Enola Gay was not painted on it until days prior to its atomic bombing mission. I see there is a second B29 Superfortress in this photo, but the tail number is not clear. It could be 7354, which was originally named The Big Stink then later renamed Dave's Dream. In this photo it seems to be unnamed. While it was in the Pacific, I know it flew from Kwajalein Island in 1946 which may suggest beyond a reasonable doubt where and when this photo was taken. I'm still seeking a link to mission logs or similar to help make a determination. Finally, it's obvious the five markings on the Enola Gay beneath the cockpit window have some meaning and may help to establish the date and location of this photo.

Enola Gay Restoration (1987).jpg

28 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

The Enola Gay, a B29 Superfortress and one of the most iconic aircraft in America's history.

Thanks Steve! I was really close with my Grandfather and this photo showed up many years after his death. I doubt he ever saw it, but he did talk about this experience from time to time. It came to the family in the most random of ways... Some long lost cousin found my father on Facebook and posted this photo. 

On 11/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Grandpa Herman.jpeg

The original photograph was very difficult for me to restore. A professional with better software can probably improve upon these.

Only Way to Fly Grandfather 001.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones
edit

On 11/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Grandpa Herman.jpeg

dad.png

Your grandfather flew the Enola Gay?

My brother in-law Bill Hunt took a lot of pics in north Africa, Italy and France during the war. He was in charge of radar for the air force and received the bronze star for rescuing a guy from a burning plane. He took this pic of a couple soldiers somewhere in Italy, I believe. I have most of the negatives. 

SOLDIERS (bill's pic).jpg

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The original photograph was very difficult for me to restore. A professional with better software can probably improve upon these.

Only Way to Fly Grandfather 001.jpg

Beautiful Steve! The same photo lab that made the reprint of my Reykjavik ticket, reprinted this photo and cleaned it up a lot. Amazing what can be do w these days. THANKS!

14 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Yes, but not in the way you think. He was navigator and flew a mission after the bomb drop. 

In the photo, one of the men is holding what seems to be a film camera. This suggests the aircraft had some notoriety at the time, I another reason why I lean towards it having been taken on Kwajalein Island in 1946. I'm sure there is a specialized group of Enola Gay enthusiasts who can figure out the date and location fairly quickly. Another telltale sign this may be 1946 is the nose is devoid of the number 82, which as I understand it was on the aircraft when it first arrived in the Pacific theater in 1945. 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

My grandfather died fighting the Japs in the Pacific. My best friend's grandfather spent 17 months in Stalag 17 after his B-17 was shot down. At least he survived the war. My grandfather died 20 years before I was born.

Do you know where he was killed in the Pacific? The bastards really thought they were going to take over the world. 

BATTLEGROUND.jpg

21 hours ago, redrum said:

Do you know where he was killed in the Pacific? The bastards really thought they were going to take over the world. 

May 29, 1943 during the Battle of Attu off the Aleutian Islands. He was a Sgt. in the 7th Infantry Division.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

May 29, 1943 during the Battle of Attu off the Aleutian Islands. He was a Sgt. in the 7th Infantry Division.

Wow. That was an awful place to be. I read 'The Thousand Mile War' about that frozen hellhole.