2023-2024 NFL Season Thread

Walter

12 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He was dog shit all day. Aside from that, no one blows a 17 point lead in the second half of an NFC Championship Game. Epic choke and SOL.

The coaching was horrendous.  You tie the fucking game , send the kicker out!  This guy is beyond a riverboat gambler.  The Lions 🦁 had them! SF could not stop them.  They stopped themselves on that stupid fumble.  And that lucky catch inside the 5 yard line I thought there was a good case for offensive pass interference 

And Lions 🦁 fans, I really do hope you get there next year.  But that division will be tough.  Bears getting better and have very good pick’s including the first.  Vikings get Cousins back if they go with him and have a very good defense.  Green Bay have their QB I guess.  They do need to repair defense.  Lions still should repeat.  And I see Bills are at Lions 🦁 so I would bet highly probable that they will be playing Lions on Thanksgiving?

Before the season started, I had the Lions at 9-8 and barely making or missing the playoffs.  In that regard, I would have to say it was an over-all successful season.  However, I also have friends and relatives who are convinced this season was the start of some long-term success.  My reply to them is I thought the same thing in 1992, and 32 years later.....

If the Lions sign Jared Goff to a long-term deal, and I believe they will, then they better use their heads and constantly draft into their strength which is their offensive line, which was pretty banged up yesterday before the game even started. Without one, Goff is useless, and defensive improvements will not matter.

I'm starting to get this feeling Gamblin' Dan doesn't like kickers and doesn't think they should decide an NFL game. Somebody needs to sit him down and explain that two field goals = touchdown. Kids make 48-yard field goals at the lowest level of college ball these days.  If you couldn't trust your kicker after a whole season of a revolving door at that position, then that's on you and the GM!

I wonder about Dan Campbell's act long-term.  Sustaining his style of coaching will not be easy for him or his players.

Good luck in the Super Bowl Redrum.  My 2nd favorite uniforms and I always rooted for them back in the Brodie days.

13 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

Good luck in the Super Bowl Redrum.  My 2nd favorite uniforms and I always rooted for them back in the Brodie days.

Believe me, I thought the Niners were dead how the defense was like swiss cheese. Kyle’s gotta do something about the run defense. The Lions will be back. Believe it or not, I went to Kezar as a kid with Brodie playing as QB. My high school (Poly) was right across the street. And of course Kezar was the famous Dirty Harry-Scorpio scene. 😄

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ You just know that shit is going to get ridiculous the day of the game, if it wasn't already past the point of absurdity that Travis Kelce has an average looking girlfriend...

:rolleyes:

You're on point, Mr. carruthers. 
Past the point of absurdity, average looking gf.
America at a weird point when this consumes us,. 

I'm all in, brother!!!

On 1/28/2024 at 10:47 PM, SteveAJones said:

He was dog shit all day. Aside from that, no one blows a 17 point lead in the second half of an NFC Championship Game. Epic choke and SOL.

Amen to that. That piece of shit dropped a sure first down that likely saves the Lions.  Then that fucking circus catch at the 5 yard line should have been offensive pass interference.  These stupid fucking refs couldn't hold a job at McDonalds

On 1/29/2024 at 4:57 PM, paul carruthers said:

So, did Brock silence all his haters, or will they be back in 2 weeks, if KC wins the big one...

He can take a hit.  Unlike sissy ass Mahomes.  I hope Bosa takes his head off.   Fucking Lions and that classic meltdown.  Make the Bills and McDermott look like genius's

Boy they are eating Detroit Lions coach for dinner on YouTube.  Calling him the dumbest coach in NFL history and much more. Showing him prancing the sideline making one stupid decision after another and costing his fans a trip to Vegas.  

43 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Amen to that. That piece of shit dropped a sure first down that likely saves the Lions.  Then that fucking circus catch at the 5 yard line should have been offensive pass interference.  These stupid fucking refs couldn't hold a job at McDonalds

Last time I checked, Josh Reynolds didn't play a down on defense. 

28 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Boy they are eating Detroit Lions coach for dinner on YouTube.  Calling him the dumbest coach in NFL history and much more. Showing him prancing the sideline making one stupid decision after another and costing his fans a trip to Vegas.  

As well they should. They were 22 minutes from the Super Bowl and blew it and Dan Campbell is a large reason why.

You can't coach a playoff game like you would a regular season game. Every possession is even more valuable. Game situation awareness by the coach is critical. Detroit had 148 yards rushing in the first half. They finished the game with 182...only 34 in the second half. They went away from their strength and went pass-happy in the second half instead of bleeding the clock and shrinking the game.

Forget what I said earlier about the Lions being fine and they'll move on from this debacle. There are no guarantees in life. Plenty of young teams have reached the top and failed, and looked as if they were set up for a long run of contention, only to be one-and-done.

Look at what happened to Cincinnati and Jacksonville this season. Who knows how competitive they'll be next season or what their rosters will be like? Seattle was never the same after blowing that Super Bowl against New England. 

Jared Goff has reached the ceiling of his effectiveness. There is only so much you can count on him to do when the pressure is on. You saw that in the NFC Championship game. As the game went on and pressure mounted, Purdy got better and Goff got worse.

Detroit better shore up their defense, offensive line, and running game. Goff will never be Captain Clutch. But Dan Campbell better improve his decision making, too. 

On 1/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, paul carruthers said:

So, did Brock silence all his haters, or will they be back in 2 weeks, if KC wins the big one...

Haha. They'll find a way to move the goalposts and keep hating.

Win or lose the Super Bowl, Brock Purdy has proven he belongs in the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL. He already has more playoff wins than Lamar Jackson or Dak Prescott.

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Haha. They'll find a way to move the goalposts and keep hating.

Win or lose the Super Bowl, Brock Purdy has proven he belongs in the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL. He already has more playoff wins than Lamar Jackson or Dak Prescott.

that says it all when people question my total distrust of Dak and Jerry, for a guy who is a billionaire and  knows the bottom line I can't believe he kept fat ass as coach  and seems to love  mr. regular season, there has to be another reason for his very strange football decisions, is it money? if you have plenty well then how about winning a superbowl without J.J?

23 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Last time I checked, Josh Reynolds didn't play a down on defense. 

No I was talking about that circus catch SF pulled off at the 5.  Lucky and also it should have been called offensive pass interference on SF.  There are several plays in that game in themselves that could have changed the outcome for the Lions including tying the game on a FG with about  9 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  The 4th down drop by Reynolds was a killer also

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

No I was talking about that circus catch SF pulled off at the 5.  Lucky and also it should have been called offensive pass interference on SF.  There are several plays in that game in themselves that could have changed the outcome for the Lions including tying the game on a FG with about  9 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  The 4th down drop by Reynolds was a killer also

I'm not going to say it wasn't a bummer.  Two weeks before though, Gamblin' Dan threw on 2nd & 9 in a run situation to seal the victory at the end of the game against the Rams, and everyone thought it was a great call. Live by the sword, die by it. The bottom line is the 49ers started that game flat as a pancake. We were 7-point underdogs for a reason. Reality caught up to them.  It just took a half. Losing Barnes at LB was a killer.  That meant the 3 remaining LBs had to play every down, including Rodriquez, who rarely played at all during the regular season. Mccaffrey took over, and Purdy started to move. As Walter pointed out earlier, that's our defensive kiss of death. The bottom line is that loss may not have been pretty, but the Lions went just as far as they should have. No remorse or regrets here.  I enjoyed the season.

I don't like the 6–8-day variation in rest between playoff games.  Have the NFC play on Saturday throughout, and the AFC play on Sunday.  I think a Monday night playoff game is also unfair.  Your reward for winning your division shouldn't be to lose a day and a half of rest. This year it was a bottom seed, Tampa on Monday. Will it always be that way?         

On 2/1/2024 at 12:02 PM, Bong-Man said:

I'm not going to say it wasn't a bummer.  Two weeks before though, Gamblin' Dan threw on 2nd & 9 in a run situation to seal the victory at the end of the game against the Rams, and everyone thought it was a great call. Live by the sword, die by it. The bottom line is the 49ers started that game flat as a pancake. We were 7-point underdogs for a reason. Reality caught up to them.  It just took a half. Losing Barnes at LB was a killer.  That meant the 3 remaining LBs had to play every down, including Rodriquez, who rarely played at all during the regular season. Mccaffrey took over, and Purdy started to move. As Walter pointed out earlier, that's our defensive kiss of death. The bottom line is that loss may not have been pretty, but the Lions went just as far as they should have. No remorse or regrets here.  I enjoyed the season.

I don't like the 6–8-day variation in rest between playoff games.  Have the NFC play on Saturday throughout, and the AFC play on Sunday.  I think a Monday night playoff game is also unfair.  Your reward for winning your division shouldn't be to lose a day and a half of rest. This year it was a bottom seed, Tampa on Monday. Will it always be that way?         

The Bills played on short rest but losing Milano in London sealed our fate.  Then we lost Bernard.  If we were 100 % we would be playing SF.  What makes me mad are the morons that blame Josh Allen!  Where would we be without him?  I think Geoff has always been underestimated.  I always liked him.  Yes he had a bad game in that SB vs NE and that was likely why McVay traded him.  Now I think him and Stafford are pretty much equal.  
Im not as mad about Campbell going for that 4th down as the play selection. He didn’t give Geoff much chance for success.  I think it was 4th and 3 besides and I was saying please tie the game!  He chose not to and now must hear the 2nd guessing.