Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

The Beano is a 59 for sure and is 100% not the guitar from Greece or Bernie Marsden's. He did buy a 1960 Burst from Andy Summers of the Police after his was stolen and also borrowed Kieth Richards Burst with the Bigsby. Apparently there are a handful of people close to Eric who know where the guitar is and that it is in fact still in London. Just wanted to know if Steve had heard this rumor and maybe had some insight. I personally don't believe it, but any information would be cool either way.

Oh ok, but I'm still almost positive the the Beano Paul is a '58. The Richards Burst was even used by Page, Keef later gave it to Mick Taylor and I think it's still in his posession.

The Beano Burst is the one used for the Bluesbreakers, a lot of people confuse it with the "sommersburst" which was used on Fresh Cream. The Beano burst never made it to the stage with Cream, it was stolen right before there first show. If you check out lespaulforum there is a wealth of really cool information.

Spot on about the keith burst, however, all I can say and know about Beano is that it has been confirmed a 59 by someone who has seen private pictures of it. I know how it sounds but I'm only going by what the so called experts say on this. Very intriguing story though.

The Beano Burst is the one used for the Bluesbreakers, a lot of people confuse it with the "sommersburst" which was used on Fresh Cream. The Beano burst never made it to the stage with Cream, it was stolen right before there first show. If you check out lespaulforum there is a wealth of really cool information.

There's a 7 page thread over there I spent a whole afternoon reading it!

And apparently we were both wrong, I just found out via Gibson website it was a '60 burst. I knew it wasn't a '59 I just wasn't sure weather it was a '58 or a '60.

Spot on about the keith burst, however, all I can say and know about Beano is that it has been confirmed a 59 by someone who has seen private pictures of it. I know how it sounds but I'm only going by what the so called experts say on this. Very intriguing story though.

Intriguing indeed. Some say it might never have existed, or it's just the other burst eric had that was misinterpreted for another.

I have trouble believing it never existed since there are pictures of it being used during the recording of the beano album. A lot of people do confuse this with the 1960 Les Paul he bought from Andy Summers.

This is from a member of lefpaulforum:

tom, i'm sorry that this won't be a very satisfying answer, and i respectfully (and i really do mean respectfully) am not open to discussing revealing how or for how long it's been that i had occasion to become aware of definitive proof that the beano burst was/is in fact a '59. i'm fairly certain that any further elaboration would create, at the very least, a somewhat touchy situation. i hope and imagine that you can understand that i can not (and am in fact bound not to) inaugurate such a possibly touchy situation. i can however, and will say that the guitar bears a 9 xxxx serial number. goddamn...that felt good. that's it.

Thanks Steve, I've always wondered every time I see that picture if he was waiting to hear where is guitar had gone. Speaking of guitars, I heard a really wild story on a Les Paul Forum that apparently Eric Clapton's stolen Beano Les Paul is actually Jimmy's 59 that he received from Joe Walsh. Sounds a bit odd but I thought maybe you would have some insight to this extravagant rumor. Thanks.

So far as I know In that moment his distress was caused by immigration processing delays and not the missing (stolen) guitar.

Great posts concerning Eric's Beano; I wish we could move them all into the Eric Clapton thread for further discussion. I tell you what, when Eric arrives next month I'll see what can be done about arranging for a Japanese journalist to pose these question(s) to him in a guitar magazine interview.

I have trouble believing it never existed since there are pictures of it being used during the recording of the beano album. A lot of people do confuse this with the 1960 Les Paul he bought from Andy Summers.

This is from a member of lefpaulforum:

tom, i'm sorry that this won't be a very satisfying answer, and i respectfully (and i really do mean respectfully) am not open to discussing revealing how or for how long it's been that i had occasion to become aware of definitive proof that the beano burst was/is in fact a '59. i'm fairly certain that any further elaboration would create, at the very least, a somewhat touchy situation. i hope and imagine that you can understand that i can not (and am in fact bound not to) inaugurate such a possibly touchy situation. i can however, and will say that the guitar bears a 9 xxxx serial number. goddamn...that felt good. that's it.

You see, this is what I don't get about that guitar.

A few years ago Gibson released a custom shop of the guitar from the three pictures available from the BB sessions. They called it a 1960. But, on a first glance it does look like a '59.

I'd say the dead give away would be the volume and tone knobs. They're not '60 knobs. Plus, the headstock on the bursts produced in 1960 are a tad smaller than those from '59, even a bit more round and fat. It doesn't look like the 1960 headstock either. There's a burst base with tons of pictures, and on of the pictures that stood out was this burst from '60 that had white pafs on the neck, and people at the mylespaul forum were just going crazy saying it was the beano burst.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not saying you're right either. I've never seen a '59 or a '58 for that matter, with White PAFs on the neck.

I think Gibson screwed up with the date of the guitar, but it still didn't stop people from spending 20.000 quid on it.

From what I have read, Gibson could have cared less when building those guitars and did very very minimal research. Who knows what the truth is. There is a 60's burst on ebay right now, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that is beano!

...I'd say the dead giveaway would be the volume and tone knobs...

Plenty of 1960 bursts came with those knobs, as well as the earlier paint shade too. Gibson did not make all of the "1960" changes in one go, on January 1st 1960 - these things happened gradually, over time. A 'burst from early 1960 has the same specs as one from late 1959.

:)

Hey Steve, I just read an article saying that John Paul Jones played on some of the ARMS dates. I have never seen him in any of the footage nor have i ever seen it stated in any other place that he did. I'm pretty sure he did not play any dates. Are you able to confirm this?

Hey Steve, I just read an article saying that John Paul Jones played on some of the ARMS dates. I have never seen him in any of the footage nor have i ever seen it stated in any other place that he did. I'm pretty sure he did not play any dates. Are you able to confirm this?

JPJ had no involvement whatsoever with any of the ARMS dates.

Does anyone who replies to this topic know if any of the Spouses (Maureen Plant, Mo Jones or Pat Bonham), or Jimmy's long-time Girlfriend and Mother to his daughter, Scarlet (Charlotte Martin) were in anyway involved in (let me just say) "Magic(k)?.

Please refer to post #1 of this thread: NO BLACK MAGIC / BACKWARDS MASKING posts.

Cool, I was 99.9% sure it was but with all the fake stuff out there you can never be too sure.

It is real, I remember at a Beatles forum there was some debate, but Lennon and George knew who Jimmy was, that's why they refered to it as Jimmy Page's new album.

I like the part were he goes "and the kid Bonham on the drums" hahaha!