Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

The booklet that comes with the new remaster Led Zeppelin album has this photo and the credits say it was taken at the BBC in March 1969 by Dominic Tarle.

1968-08-XX_London-GerrardStreetunco.jpg

Three possibilities:

March 3, 1969 at Playhouse Theatre in London

(Recording session 2pm and 6pm. 'Communication Breakdown', 'Dazed And Confused', 'You Shook Me' 'I Can't Quit You' incl. 'Nineteen Years Old')

March 19, 1969 at BBC Maida Vale Studio in London

(Recording session between 5:30pm and 9pm. 'I Can't Quit You', 'You Shook Me' and 'Sunshine Woman')

March 21, 1969 at BBC Lime Grove Studios - Studio G in London

(Short-notice replacements for The Flying Burrito Brothers; 5:45pm recording session of 'Communication Breakdown' for How Late It Is' telecast at 10:50pm)

Still looking for definitive proof, but the style of the elevators fits better with Lime Grove. Maida Vale is long low building not more than two stories high.

We supposedly have a photo from the March 3rd show, and the Playhouse also has a different architectural style - but I suppose it's possible that photo is mislabeled and those are elevators for the artists.

Hello, first time post and new to the forums. I was curious about the confusion surrounding the March 2nd, 75' date. I've always seen Knoxville listed in tour dates, and there are photos from the 75' tour which are labled "Knoxville" Can't remember if there are any boots which claim to be from there.

Hello, first time post and new to the forums. I was curious about the confusion surrounding the March 2nd, 75' date. I've always seen Knoxville listed in tour dates, and there are photos from the 75' tour which are labled "Knoxville" Can't remember if there are any boots which claim to be from there.

Please see post #5218 of this thread which provides my response to this topic; welcome to the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard or read Jimmy discuss his sitar, does anyone have any recordings of his sitar work?

Nothing comes to mind. However, with regard to White Summer on the Little Games album, he said "I used a special tuning for (the song); the low string down to D, then A, D, G, A and D. It's like a modal tuning, a sitar tuning, in fact."

Nothing comes to mind. However, with regard to White Summer on the Little Games album, he said "I used a special tuning for (the song); the low string down to D, then A, D, G, A and D. It's like a modal tuning, a sitar tuning, in fact."

He was referring to DADGAD again, and he discussed it on "It Might Get Loud" when going over Kashmir

Was JPJ sick throughout their first tour of Japan in 1971?

I ask because he just looks downright 'off' in virtually every photo I've seen of him from that stretch of time.

Not to my knowledge. That photo was taken September 27, 1971 in Hiroshima Heiwa Kouen Park.

Not to my knowledge. That photo was taken September 27, 1971 in Hiroshima Heiwa Kouen Park.

Correction: A dear Japanese friend of mine reports that photo was taken at Nanzenji Temple in Kyoto on September 25th or 26th 1971. To go along with that, I show that while in Kyoto John Paul Jones joined a local band for a jam on 'Green Onions' (venue/location unknown).

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/japan/kyoto-nanzenji

Edited by SteveAJones

Hi there this is my second post, I hope I'm in the right place.

I actually have two queries that have bugged me for ages but I'll just ask about this one for now.

Back in the early 90's I bought a bootleg cassette of led zeppelin live in supposedly 1972 with special guest John Lennon. Now I've long since lost this tape and I've tried to find out information about it but nothing's come up. I can't be the only person to have had a copy or was it all just a very lucid dream? I can (sort of) remember some of the banter between Robert and "John" .

Robert says something about it great to be back and thanks a couple of people and John, then comments on John's leather suit and says something about Bridget the midget.

Then John quips that he's surprised so many people have turned up to see him.

Then he says "I'm gonna sing on the next one if it pleases you" and they go into Whole Lotta Love.

Did I imagine this, was it faked or was it someone else?

Please someone help me as this has been driving me mad for years.

Thanks to bcarter690 for helping me solve this. It never happened, it was just edited banter from the 71 BBC show.

My other question was in an old NME compendium I read an article about a ballet written by the yardbirds in 1968. The ballet was supposed to be put on in France and the band were to perform the music at the side of the stage. It mentioned that an lp of the music would be made available predominantly for the French market. Now I know this never happened and this is the only info I've found about it. So was there ever any intention of actually doing this or was it just a story put out for the press?

I actually have two queries that have bugged me for ages but I'll just ask about this one for now.

Back in the early 90's I bought a bootleg cassette of led zeppelin live in supposedly 1972 with special guest John Lennon. Now I've long since lost this tape and I've tried to find out information about it but nothing's come up. I can't be the only person to have had a copy or was it all just a very lucid dream? I can (sort of) remember some of the banter between Robert and "John" .

Robert says something about it great to be back and thanks a couple of people and John, then comments on John's leather suit and says something about Bridget the midget.

Then he says "I'm gonna sing on the next one if it pleases you" and they go into Whole Lotta Love.

What you speak of Never happened. From what I have read and gathered, John Lennon "claims" to not even had heard of "Stairway to Heaven" until somenone played it to him in 1975. Supposedly in that same year, John Lennon went to the Plaza Hotel and ventured into Bonzo's suite and heard John Bonham vomiting in the bathroom and asked Bonzo for His stash. According to this account, Bonzo gladly handed John Lennon His big bag of "China White". Their is no mention of John Lennon meeting, talking to, or partying with Jimmy, Robert or John Paul.

Can anyone confirm or back Me up on this?

Edited by kingzoso

He does play a few bars of Whole Lotta Love here, although it sounds like he thinks its by "The Guess Who or something" :rolleyes:

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

• Administrators

Thanks to bcarter690 for helping me solve this. It never happened, it was just edited banter from the 71 BBC show.

My other question was in an old NME compendium I read an article about a ballet written by the yardbirds in 1968. The ballet was supposed to be put on in France and the band were to perform the music at the side of the stage. It mentioned that an lp of the music would be made available predominantly for the French market. Now I know this never happened and this is the only info I've found about it. So was there ever any intention of actually doing this or was it just a story put out for the press?

Here's the article, from December 1967, originally scheduled for two nights at the Olympia. Not sure why it was cancelled....

post-5-0-19794700-1405687660.jpg

Here's the article, from December 1967, originally scheduled for two nights at the Olympia. Not sure why it was cancelled....

attachicon.gifyardbirds_ballet_1967.jpg

Hello, Sam. According to Greg Russo (author of Yardbirds! The Ultimate Rave-up and a Dreja/McCarty confidant) there were indeed two performances planned, on December 13 & 14 1967 but they were cancelled when the funding fell thru. The ballet was to have been choreographed by Flick Collie and directed by Sean Murphy. Apparently there was some talk that it would be released as a French LP.

I am reminded of a remark Jimmy reportedly made in Spring '68 (?) that he was working on a film which was a "sequence of events". Perhaps it was this project that he was alluding to, or perhaps this ill-fated project temporarily inspired him to imagine the possibilities.

Edited by SteveAJones

I too have this recording on a vinyl bootleg. However, it's a fabricated exchange which never actually happened. So far as I know John Lennon never met any members of Led Zeppelin, but he and John Bonham did have at least one close mutual friend (Harry Nilsson). I suppose it's possible their paths crossed, though unlikely. I do doubt Bonham had a heroin habit as early as 1975.