Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Wow, he seems to have had a lot of different houses in the south and south-east over the years.

Fen Place Mill was another...

Excerpt from Daily Mail (May 2007)

As the guitarist of Led Zeppelin, he has built up a £70 million fortune, but it seems Jimmy Page is less talented at making money from property.

The 63-year-old musician is selling his magnificent eight-bedroom country pile, Fen Place Mill, near East Grinstead, West Sussex, for £2.8 million.

It includes two tennis courts, stables and three lakes set in 123 acres.

But given that he bought the house for £2 million four years ago — since when estate agents say average prices in Sussex have risen by 11 per cent a year —Page may be angling for a quick sale.

“It should be worth well over £3 million by now,” I am told.

Photos of the property:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-7611450.html

There's a bloke on the Telegraph website saying that he saw the band play the Capitol Theatre in Cardiff (must have been December 1972, though he says 1974) and that they played a matinee - one show at 6.30pm and another at nine. This seems unlikely. Did they ever play two shows a day after they got big?

There's a bloke on the Telegraph website saying that he saw the band play the Capitol Theatre in Cardiff (must have been December 1972, though he says 1974) and that they played a matinee - one show at 6.30pm and another at nine. This seems unlikely. Did they ever play two shows a day after they got big?

They performed two shows at the same venue on the same date several times in 1969. In 1970, they did so in Honolulu (9/6) & New York (9/19). However, after 1970 they no longer did so.

The contributor to the Telegraph website is incorrect regarding the Cardiff show date and incorrect regarding the performance. Additionally, several others who were there have contributed their eyewitness accounts to the official timeline and none of those accounts support there having been two performances.

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is:

1969BBCPlayhouseTheatre.jpg

BBC session, Playhouse Theatre, London

A. March 3, 1969 recording session between 2pm and 6pm. 'Communication Breakdown', 'Dazed And Confused', 'You Shook Me' 'I Can't Quit You' including 'Nineteen Years Old'

or

B. June 27, 1969 rehearsal at 7pm; recording 8:45pm-10:15pm for 'Top Gear' (broadcast on August 10th 1969)

--------------------

The details for the image below are unconfimed, but it seems to have been taken with days, weeks or months of the image above, as JPJ is wearing the same shirt. Elevators in the back ground suggests this may have been in a hotel lobby.

1968-08-XX_London-GerrardStreetunco.jpg

...SAJ, I will add one more slight possibility to ID This Photo, this article I posted in Forum articles, LZ 1 also, First Printing here MacNeill Press...

(the surrouding atmosphere of photo (front)/appears to be somewhat printing area/compositor typesetting

2. So, where was MacNeill Press situated and can you describe the building?

2 Newhams Row, 175 Bermondsey Street, London SE1. (see photo, MacNeills was the white building about 50 yards down on the left hand side).

newhams-row.png?w=300

The factory entrance was down Newhams Row on the left. As you went in we had a clocking-in machine on the right, stairs in front. The ground floor was the paper warehouse. The basement housed the letterpress machines that used to print and cut out the finished album sleeve shapes. We had Heidelberg, platens, cylinders and Miehle Vertical presses. On the 1st floor was the litho printing presses, which was where I worked. On the 2nd floor was the bindery, and the top floor was where the compositors were and where any hand finishing took place. Reception was over the road in a separate building with the offices.

http://www.rarerecordcollector.net/hot-off-the-pressmacneill-press-record-sleeve-printer-remembers-the-good-old-days/

Link/Ref. McNeill Pressing...

http://www.popsike.com/LED-ZEPPELIN-DEBUT-1st-TURQUOISE-COVER-PLUMRED-LaBeL/260480050753.html

Paul Gilbert Sleeve Printer (joined the Press as apprentice in 1972).... acknowledges Led Zeppelin arriving at the Printing Press for Houses of the Holy....

Edited by PlanetPage

...SAJ, I will add one more slight possibility to ID This Photo, this article I posted in Forum articles, LZ 1 also, First Printing here MacNeill Press...

(the surrouding atmosphere of photo (front)/appears to be somewhat printing area/compositor typesetting

2. So, where was MacNeill Press situated and can you describe the building?

2 Newhams Row, 175 Bermondsey Street, London SE1. (see photo, MacNeills was the white building about 50 yards down on the left hand side).

newhams-row.png?w=300

The factory entrance was down Newhams Row on the left. As you went in we had a clocking-in machine on the right, stairs in front. The ground floor was the paper warehouse. The basement housed the letterpress machines that used to print and cut out the finished album sleeve shapes. We had Heidelberg, platens, cylinders and Miehle Vertical presses. On the 1st floor was the litho printing presses, which was where I worked. On the 2nd floor was the bindery, and the top floor was where the compositors were and where any hand finishing took place. Reception was over the road in a separate building with the offices.

http://www.rarerecordcollector.net/hot-off-the-pressmacneill-press-record-sleeve-printer-remembers-the-good-old-days/

Link/Ref. McNeill Pressing...

http://www.popsike.com/LED-ZEPPELIN-DEBUT-1st-TURQUOISE-COVER-PLUMRED-LaBeL/260480050753.html

Paul Gilbert Sleeve Printer (joined the Press as apprentice in 1972).... acknowledges Led Zeppelin arriving at the Printing Press for Houses of the Holy....

Fascinating details! I tend to doubt the photo having been taken there on account of the presence of that guitar but the info is intriguing.

Regarding this photo:

I don't think it was taken at MacNeil Press. Why would Jimmy bring his guitars? Even if he did, he wouldn't take them out their cases. In the photo we can see his Danelectro (center) and the Telecaster (right). The guitars being out indicate either a performance or a recording session.

The photographer is credited as being Dominique Tarlé - a French photographer - so likely the picture is from a European location.

I think the clothes help zero in on the approximate date.

Photos from the Brondby show on March 15th have Plant, Page and maybe Jones wearing the same shirts.

The elevators indicate that a) it's probably not a club gig, b ) not a hotel (why would the guitars be out?) c) probably not a recording studio (could be but there are no known studio dates from that timeframe) d) a TV or Radio studio.

That points to five dates from around this time:

1) March 3 - Playhouse - we have a picture of this already - clothes are different

2) March 14 - Swedish TV - Page has the same clothes on for this - but not the others

3) March 17 - Danish TV - none of them have the same clothes as the photo

4) March 19 - BBC Maida Vale - we have a photo of this already. I don't see the Maida Vale building needing these elevators...

5) March 21 - BBC Lime Grove...we have no pictures of this, but the building has multiple stories and the "style" of the elevators looks like it's from the same era:

LimeGroveStudios.jpg

Of course it could also be at one of the other large halls - Tivoli, Konserhuset, or Uppsala - or from another unknown gig.

But my guess is that the photo is from March 21st at Lime Grove.

Interestingly, there are also photos from a promo session where both Page and Plant are dressed the same, and Bonham is wearing a shirt that he had in Miami in Feb. I'm pretty sure the photographer is also Dominique Tarlé.

IMG_0506+2.JPG

led-zeppelin2136.jpg

Edited by thozil

Regarding this photo:

I don't think it was taken at MacNeil Press. Why would Jimmy bring his guitars? Even if he did, he wouldn't take them out their cases. In the photo we can see his Danelectro (center) and the Telecaster (right). The guitars being out indicate either a performance or a recording session.

The photographer is credited as being Dominique Tarlé - a French photographer - so likely the picture is from a European location.

I think the clothes help zero in on the approximate date.

Photos from the Brondby show on March 15th have Plant, Page and maybe Jones wearing the same shirts.

The elevators indicate that a) it's probably not a club gig, b ) not a hotel (why would the guitars be out?) c) probably not a recording studio (could be but there are no known studio dates from that timeframe) d) a TV or Radio studio.

That points to five dates from around this time:

1) March 3 - Playhouse - we have a picture of this already - clothes are different

2) March 14 - Swedish TV - Page has the same clothes on for this - but not the others

3) March 17 - Danish TV - none of them have the same clothes as the photo

4) March 19 - BBC Maida Vale - we have a photo of this already. I don't see the Maida Vale building needing these elevators...

5) March 21 - BBC Lime Grove...we have no pictures of this, but the building has multiple stories and the "style" of the elevators looks like it's from the same era:

LimeGroveStudios.jpg

Of course it could also be at one of the other large halls - Tivoli, Konserhuset, or Uppsala - or from another unknown gig.

But my guess is that the photo is from March 21st at Lime Grove.

Interestingly, there are also photos from a promo session where both Page and Plant are dressed the same, and Bonham is wearing a shirt that he had in Miami in Feb. I'm pretty sure the photographer is also Dominique Tarlé.

IMG_0506+2.JPG

led-zeppelin2136.jpg

Dominic Tarlé had said the the elevator picture was taken at Zeppelin's first rehearsal. I tend to doubt that.

Dominic Tarlé had said the the elevator picture was taken at Zeppelin's first rehearsal. I tend to doubt that.

...Highly likely, the private facility Olympic Studios ( perhaps LZ photographed upstairs/Control Room), Freelance Photographers regurlary visited Olympic Studios including the RollingStones... BBC would be off limit for Freelance photography...

here is detailed interior view article of Olympic Studios with Late Recording Engineer Keith Grant, 2012..

"The upstairs control room was a real pain,” explained Grant. "It was all valve equipment, and because of noise problems, we had to have everything insulated heavily, so it was like a permanent sauna up there. There were probably 200 valves or more in the room, and bodies, and you couldn't even put a fan through to the outside world because it would let sound out. You didn't keep cool up there!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug12/articles/keith-grant.htm

Dominique Tarle Photography of Jimmy Page at Olympic Studio is well documented ofcourse...including JP Official Genesis Autobiography...

Edited by PlanetPage

I don't think the photo's from Olympic either. They were at Olympic to record the first album - but the hair length of the group in the photo seems too long to be from Sept/Oct 68.

Then they didn't get back to Olympic until June 69.

I still think its from sometime between Feb 17th, 69 and Apr 23rd, 69 when they were in Europe.

The Lime Grove video does show the elevators...and they don't match...so it's not Lime Grove. (I have a screenshot but can't upload it for some reason...but you get a glimpse at 50s into the video)

I don't think the photo's from Olympic either. They were at Olympic to record the first album - but the hair length of the group in the photo seems too long to be from Sept/Oct 68.

Then they didn't get back to Olympic until June 69.

I still think its from sometime between Feb 17th, 69 and Apr 23rd, 69 when they were in Europe.

The Lime Grove video does show the elevators...and they don't match...so it's not Lime Grove. (I have a screenshot but can't upload it for some reason...but you get a glimpse at 50s into the video)

...indeed, your expert knowledge in agreement with Olympic Studios response received today...here it is...

"in 1965 Olympic had moved to Barns in SW London

the control room not above the studio ( Like the old Carton Street studio )

the photo that you enclosed is not Olympic ,……. in the back ground there

is a lift , there were no lifts in the control room ( or any ware in the building at that time )"

New Olympic Studios 1966 British Pathe Film (posted before elsewhere in the forum as well)...Led Zeppelin Recorded here...about 5:00 mark...

39 Gerrard Street 30 October 1959 - First Rehearsal Space for Led Zeppelin...

"Mods aside, there were a number of jazz clubs in the area, by far the most famous of which is Ronnie Scott's. It originally opened on 30th October 1959 in the basement of 39 Gerrard Street, moving to its present, larger location at 47 Frith Street in 1965. The original club continued to exist, known as 'The Old Place', as a 'proving ground' for new talent until its lease expired during 1967."

(The "Old Space") at 39 Gerard Street

">http://LZ1959Rehspace_zps11282ce3.jpg

http://sixtiescity.net/Culture/Soho1.htm

Original discussion and expert contribution by Mikezep61...

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/7290-what-date-did-zeppelin-form/

Edited for relevancy/clarity...

Edited by PlanetPage

Hi all, I have a question which I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer to or if it's been mentioned before but I'll apologise in advance if it has.

My question is does anybody know the exact date of the first rehearsal of the four guys playing together? The famed Train kept a Rolling rehearsal?

I've heard mid August 1968 but not an exact date? Anybody know any more?

Hi all, I have a question which I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer to or if it's been mentioned before but I'll apologise in advance if it has.

My question is does anybody know the exact date of the first rehearsal of the four guys playing together? The famed Train kept a Rolling rehearsal?

According to Mick Wall"s biography it was on August 19 1968, a day before Plants twentieth birthday. But I also read somewhere that it was August 12 1968. Don"t know which date is correct.

There is an extensive article in TBL 32 about the where and when the first rehearsal took place. In conclusion, neither questions were truly answered although it's pretty close. Seek the issue out.

The idea that the Dominique Tarle was taken at the first rehearsal was first reported on p. 12-13 of the Q Classic issue of Led Zeppelin: Classic, Rare & Unseen (Volume 1, Issue 9), which came out in 2005.

Thanks very much...I'll dig out my TBL issues. I'll also read the Mick Wall book again just in case....

Purely from a selfish point my interest was that my actual birthday was 15th August 1968, thought it may be too good to be true!!!

There is an extensive article in TBL 32 about the where and when the first rehearsal took place. In conclusion, neither questions were truly answered although it's pretty close. Seek the issue out.

The idea that the Dominique Tarle photo was taken at the first rehearsal was first reported on p. 12-13 of the Q Classic issue of Led Zeppelin: Classic, Rare & Unseen (Volume 1, Issue 9), which came out in 2005.

IMHO either Monday, August 12, 1968 or Monday, August 19, 1968 at 39 Gerrard Street in London. See the feature in TBL for more.

Can anyone tell me if Zepp played here on this date, Stokely Center, Knoxville, TN, USA on March 2, 1975 ?

Someone tells me there were there, albeit outside the venue, but it isn't listed on the timeline

Just to confuse me even more, some lists have Bent harbour on the 2nd....????

Thx CF

Edited by Conneyfogle

Can anyone tell me if Zepp played here on this date, Stokely Center, Knoxville, TN, USA on March 2, 1975 ?

Someone tells me there were there, albeit outside the venue, but it isn't listed on the timeline

Just to confuse me even more, some lists have Bent harbour on the 2nd....????

Thx CF

Led Zeppelin never performed in Knoxville. They did not perform anywhere on March 2, 1975 but for whatever reason the date is often falsely attributed to Bent Harbour, TN and Austin, TX.

Many thanks for the answer...much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...