Bootleg Collectors

Are there any bootleg collectors here? I'm a long time collector and used to trade quite a bit. My trading partners have all faded away. Vinyl prices have become completely out of control, so for the last few years I've focused on CD's. Only factory-pressed, silver discs. Not interested in CD-R's. And I'm not interested in downloads. I still like the look and feel of an actual piece of media.

Anyone here still buying, selling, trading? I'm not interested in links to online sellers, strictly looking for fellow collectors who are not looking for profit, just looking to unload titles they no long er want and titles they would like to have. 

2 hours ago, KenoshaLZFan said:

Are there any bootleg collectors here? I'm a long time collector and used to trade quite a bit. My trading partners have all faded away. Vinyl prices have become completely out of control, so for the last few years I've focused on CD's. Only factory-pressed, silver discs. Not interested in CD-R's. And I'm not interested in downloads. I still like the look and feel of an actual piece of media.

Anyone here still buying, selling, trading? I'm not interested in links to online sellers, strictly looking for fellow collectors who are not looking for profit, just looking to unload titles they no long er want and titles they would like to have. 

I used to collect vinyls then moved on to cds    I have a box of vinyls that I never even look at anymore. I also don't play the cds as I have a computer with every show there is so I really don't need my physical collection anymore but I haven't come to the point where I could part with it. I agree with you though,  having the real thing is much more desirable to me.

I still collect physical bootlegs...vinyl and cds and dvds. Covid disrupted my usual sources but some of the local record shops still carry bootlegs. I just haven't been able to get out as much as I used to and acquire some of the newer upgrades and releases in a physical format.

Edited by Strider

I think the last bootleg I purchased was the 02 rehearsals CD upon release and it cost over $200 USD. I have probably listened to it twice and have long since had the realization that bootleg releases just aren't worth the expense anymore. I had been collecting them since the mid-1980s on vinyl and cd and after nearly 500 of them the thrill was gone. All of that stuff has been stored away for years, if only because I was never a motivated seller. If someone came along and made a $20K+ offer I'd probably consider it but I do doubt that's ever going to happen so they will continue to sit. 

I started collecting vinyl bootlegs in spring 2023. I now have 60-70 including new and old pressings. Some rare, some not. I have spent a small fortune that I don't have, but I have loved amassing this collection. It is something I have always wanted to do! I believe prices have actually come down a bit in the last 6- months, but they are still extremely expensive for the more sought-after records. I got lucky, and found a massive jackpot where I live in Detroit. This store had dozens of 1980s Zeppelin boots that they let me buy in chunks over the course of a year or so! I have some great pieces from that. You also want to join the Blueberry Hill Facebook group. That is the best way to buy, sell, and trade. Just be wary of scammers like anywhere else on the web. There are some very reputable members on there, though. 

I am doing my best not to get into CDs. That is a rabbit hole I would never be able to climb out of!

My itch has luckily started to subside for Zep records, because I now have most of the shows I want on vinyl! 

Play 'em loud!

Edited by zosorose

6 hours ago, OBM3322 said:

Humans like living in a fake reality.  Saying I only buy silvers, reminds me of pompous Deadheads that say they don't smoke schwag and only smoke kind bud

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

12 hours ago, OBM3322 said:

Humans like living in a fake reality.  Saying I only buy silvers, reminds me of pompous Deadheads that say they don't smoke schwag and only smoke kind bud

They mean silvers figuratively, not literally. 

I’d be very happy if I could just find someone to put some of the Stereo Projects onto a CD-R and post them to me. Then I could play them on my hi-fi and in the car

I'd LOVE to have a vinyl collection of some of the better boots....

I do have a vinyl bootleg I picked up last year (year before? - pre-covid????) but I'm still working toward realising my lounge room upgrade which includes a record player.

When I win the lottery (might make a good thread in here) I'll have a MAD collection, played often.

On 9/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, KenoshaLZFan said:

With you all the way on this one. Although I never trade or sell, I still love collecting live music on silver disc. Vinyl is just too much work for me and streaming, which has to be the single greatest con job the music industry has ever come up with, holds no interest. They have now managed to get people to buy, well, nothing. Happy hunting and happy listening, there is some wonderful stuff out there.

18 hours ago, OBM3322 said:

Some machines will not play CDR's, maybe what you find so offensive is down to pure practicality?

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

It's dime or den (and more) or SteveZ for me. All the way. 

It’s LedZeppelinBoots on YouTube for me! I started collecting Zeppelin bootleg albums back in 1983 and switched over to silver disc CD’s back in the mid-90’s….getting most of my titles from Eric at Fisheads in Japan and Bob from Hot Wax.I threw in the towel about 15 years ago when it comes to collecting bootlegs…..aside from the occasional DVD upgrade. I now just put on YouTube and listen that way.  I still have my collection of albums and cds, but I rarely pull them out to listen to anymore. 

Edited by ohjimmy

On 9/5/2024 at 9:30 AM, SteveAJones said:

I think the last bootleg I purchased was the 02 rehearsals CD upon release and it cost over $200 USD. I have probably listened to it twice and have long since had the realization that bootleg releases just aren't worth the expense anymore. I had been collecting them since the mid-1980s on vinyl and cd and after nearly 500 of them the thrill was gone. All of that stuff has been stored away for years, if only because I was never a motivated seller. If someone came along and made a $20K+ offer I'd probably consider it but I do doubt that's ever going to happen so they will continue to sit. 

Do you happen to have this set for sale by any chance?

Live On Blueberry Hill Box front.jpg

Edited by atomos