Zeppelin Vs. The Who (live)

dexter

I was a fetus the last time either of these bands toured with all original members intact - anyone who experienced both care to weigh in? I would give an edge to the Zep song catalog, however I understand that The Who was pretty much unbeatable as a live rock spectacle. I would also give Zep an edge on intangibles; they somehow carry more gravitas..

I realise that this may make me unpopular seeing as this is a Led Zeppelin forum after all but i think the who were the better live act. I'd like to point out that this is only based on my listening to both Led Zeppelin and Who live albums and watching the DVDs, i'm too young to have been able to see Zep and just haven't managed to see the who yet. But based on the live albums and DVDs, i'd have to say that the who were better. I think on average the who's songs were slightly better (although both were great)

I love the who but they don't come close at all in my eyes to Zeppelin. i saw the who on

december 11, 2006 and it was the best concert i've been to.(i'm only 16) i think the who is in my top

five live acts but Zeppelin will always be number one.

No question here. ZEP.

Why? Each show was different, even if the setlist was the same. No songs were played exactly the same on a given night. That, and their music was more of a journey than a rock & roll show. The music took you to cool places in your imagination as well.

Hi all,

No question here. ZEP.

Why? Each show was different, even if the setlist was the same. No songs were played exactly the same on a given night. That, and their music was more of a journey than a rock & roll show. The music took you to cool places in your imagination as well.

Well put, Rock Action,one never knew what one would get,.....

No offense to any Who fans,or any other for that matter,but when did the who really jam,or ANY member of that great band take them to parts unknown? Yeah, the Dead did,the Allman's,...who else(bad pun) :rolleyes:

Zep t-r-i-e-d to expand,everytime they could,....

Still 'THe Kids are all Right.'

KB (goodbye MaryLou)

...when did the who really jam,or ANY member of that great band take them to parts unknown?

Er, every night actually.

Townshend could go off on a riff & Moon & Entwhistle would follow him. In fact, on the Live At Leeds album during some of then expanded songs you hear Pete play a riff spontaneously that the band have never heard before, then John quietly work it out on his bass ("what - oh, that's what he's doing, right - got it") then the whole band slam in.

Sure the ways in which they would jam or expand their material were different to the way Zep did it, because they were a different band, but you can't say that they didn't do it...

And trying to say who was "best" is meanlingless: it's like "my dad's tougher than your dad" in the playground...

Yes - it is completely subjective, although that is kind of the point. For the record, I think Zeppelin vs. The Who would have been an interesting fight. The Who seems intuitively to have the advantage of on stage violent theatrics whereas with Zeppelin one tends to attribute the aggression to their Mob-like supporting cast. I believe the outcome would hinge on whether Peter Grant could be reasonably construed as a member of the band or their "manager" and whether Townsend would be permitted to use his Les Paul as a weapon or the slightly less intimidating SG (or least effectively the telecaster...) Also - the double neck is formidable as a blunt instrument, but I am skeptical that Page would actually be able to life it above crotch level. If the rules permitted Page's summoning of the "dark forces" to his defense and/or the throwing of televisions - I suppose there would be no stopping Zep. Then again, Moon (although puny) had the intangible advantage of actually being insane + experience with pyrotechnics and accidental homicide to his credit. I suppose we shall never know for sure....

if you ask me, the who's songlist pales in comparison to zeppelins. i have every zeppelin album, about half of the whos' albums, and a combined 70 or so bootlegs of both bands. i find myself getting tired of waiting for this or that song to be over when listening to the who's less popular songs, whereas with zeppelin, even with their lesser songs i can play every album the whole way thru without skipping tracks...

ive never seen the who live except for dvds, where they look to put on a damn good stage show... but the setlist just isnt there... to me their songs have fell a little more out of date than zeppelins over the years.. i think it might have to do with daltrey's voice being a little less unique compared to plant.. with their lesser songs it sounds like "just another band"

i think i like the zeppelin better in the early days because it was their sheer playing ability that drew the crowd, as they didnt smash guitars or get out of control,,, just them on stage, standing within feet of eachother, jamming. hard. and plants voice was certainly unique, though a bit rough at times, still an amazing front man. jimmy's solos were never dull and full of energy, and i dont think i have to tell you who had a better drummer.

as far as for the later days of either band (73 - onward), i cant comment, simply because i am a little less of a fan of the later stuff (still a pretty big fan, just not as big as the early years raw power)

zeppelin wins.

Yes - it is completely subjective, although that is kind of the point. For the record, I think Zeppelin vs. The Who would have been an interesting fight. The Who seems intuitively to have the advantage of on stage violent theatrics whereas with Zeppelin one tends to attribute the aggression to their Mob-like supporting cast. I believe the outcome would hinge on whether Peter Grant could be reasonably construed as a member of the band or their "manager" and whether Townsend would be permitted to use his Les Paul as a weapon or the slightly less intimidating SG (or least effectively the telecaster...) Also - the double neck is formidable as a blunt instrument, but I am skeptical that Page would actually be able to life it above crotch level. If the rules permitted Page's summoning of the "dark forces" to his defense and/or the throwing of televisions - I suppose there would be no stopping Zep. Then again, Moon (although puny) had the intangible advantage of actually being insane + experience with pyrotechnics and accidental homicide to his credit. I suppose we shall never know for sure....

I dunno I think Jason would kick all there asses he looks like a pretty big dude.

Give me a break with this Who vs Zeppelin nonsense, Zeppelin easily wins. The Who's not even in the same league, forget about it. I mean, nothing against The Who but let's get real here guys.

I know were you are coming from, but you are comparing Eel Pies with Airships.

To me,the Who was the third greatest British act of the very heady 1960's; a fantastic singles/live band who did one brilliant album in the 1970's.

Zeppelin was the greatest rock band of the 70's, an Album/live band that released 5 brilliant and peerless albums in the 70's.

I loved the last Who album;even more than the Stones, Roger and Pete have proved that rock music can be viable when one is of advancing years.

To me, Roger is as good vocally as he was in 1971,perhaps even better!

I don't think it should be a competition.I can't possibly compare Can't Explain with Communication Breakdown because they come from very different, but equally valid places.

For a time they both played live,at their so called "peak" in the same era.The Who had Moon,Led Zeppelin had Bonham.that is where any comparisons actually converge - if only to prove my point!.

They were both brilliant and both very different fom each other!

It's like comparing Mozart with Beethoven;nobody will win from this type of debate!

Archived