Good cover songs

BigBadZep

I always wanted to buy Frente's album but never did get around to it. As for New Order, I know they're beloved by millions but their brand of synth music (no matter how sophisticated or intelligent) never really appealed to me. Same thing for Depeche Mode and similar electronic and/or industrial type bands. That's not meant as a slight against those that are fans of that type of music, it just never did much for me.

I admit I have some fond memories of synth pop, but I would much preferred classic rock (without the synthesizers) :)

This is the Bluefields, one of Dan Baird's many side projects, covering "When the Levee Breaks". You may remember Dan from the Georgia Satellites or from his more current work with the Yayhoos or Homemade Sin. The Bluefields, in addition to Dan (bass and vocals) are Warner Hodges (Jason and the Scorchers, Homemade Sin) on lead guitar and Joe Blanton (The Royal Court of China) on lead vocals and guitar. Here, they're joined by Audley Freed (Cry of Love, Black Crowes, etc.) on guitar and Steve Gorman (Black Crowes) on drums. More living and breathing evidence that rock n'roll is not dead. Not even fuckin' close to it.

Sorry, Jahfin - that's pretty sloppy...

No need to apologize, especially since I don't recall having made any promises that it would be delivered with Rush-like precision. As someone who's fairly new to the Bluefields I just happened upon the clip, noticed the stellar lineup (as well as the highly recognizable cover) and thought it may be of some interest to others here. Your mileage may vary but to my ears, some of the best rock n' roll is hot, sweaty and occasionally sloppy (sort of like fucking). Having seen Baird in his element, it's almost always about the essence of the moment, especially when it comes to winging it on a cover. Perhaps if you check the Bluefields' website (which I linked to in my previous post), you may find something else of theirs that's more to your liking.

Cool version of "Gimme Shelter" with a bit of a world music twist and maybe even a familiar face or two. All that and it's also for a good cause (see below).

http://www.playingforchange.com - Hello everyone, today we are proud to release the newest song around the world from our upcoming PFC 2 album CD/DVD release!! "Gimme Shelter" is a track we have wanted to record for years and today we can finally share it with all of you. This song expresses the urgency we all face to unite together as a planet and offers us wisdom with the words, "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". It really is that simple. We dedicate this song to all the lost, homeless and forgotten people in this world. It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.

Follow the link below to order the new album and support Playing For Change by telling all your friends and family to join the movement.

Order "PFC2: Songs Around The World" now at

http://playingforchange.spinshop.com/

Edited by Jahfin

Phish does a good cover of the VU's "Oh Sweet Nuthin'", too...they've been performing it for years. I couldn't find the exact version I wanted, from when they performed the entire "Loaded" album at one of their Halloween shows, but the following will do:

Edited by Strider

They broke that out as an encore in Raleigh a couple of years ago. Damn good stuff.

Beautiful...I think I'll watch that later on the Cabin Fever DVD When the wife goes to bed...I'll also dig out my CD rip for the car to blast out tomorrow.

Beautiful...I think I'll watch that later on the Cabin Fever DVD When the wife goes to bed...I'll also dig out my CD rip for the car to blast out tomorrow.

I've posted this at least a couple of times before but it's well worth posting again. There were strict anti-taping and photography rules in place but someone managed to pull this off, I'm guessing by using their cellphone.

If you've been around here long, you probably know how much I love the Velvet Underground. There's a new movie called "Lawless" being released today, and on the soundtrack is the legendary...no, make that LEGENDARY Ralph Stanley covering the VU's "White Light/White Heat"! I'm still not sure if it's a perfect match of artist and material but it sure is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daIsBjJmGJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'd refer to this as "good" as I've never really been a fan of Dashboard Confessional but it's definitely a very different take on R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" from Dashboard Confessional frontman Chris Carrabba. His all covers album, Covered In the Flood from 2011 (which is available as a download only) also includes his take on songs by Guy Clark, John Prine, Justin Townes Earle, The Replacements and Archers of Loaf.

This cover has become the stuff of legend in R.E.M. circles over the years. Only thing is, the lack of a copy with decent sound quality has kept it from making the rounds. Plus, I believe they only performed it once. Finally, a good sounding copy of it has surfaced. While on the surface it may seem like a strange song for R.E.M. to cover, it really fits them quite perfectly.

http://youtu.be/HHwNnEoswX0

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...