Air Raid Siren over the O2

Well, why for the love of God, do you keep critisizing my "opinions" and/or musings on the deeper end of Zep

Because it's a message board. If I don't think something makes sense, if I think something is wrong, I will say so. The same as other people are free to say that it makes sense or that it's right.

Exactly! I never said I was around, but I know people who were. And, although the Wars are long past, many who experienced those days can still recall where they were, what they had to do, and who they lost during those frightful days.

The British people showed incredible bravery and heart during those times. Needless to say, no one was unaffected - and the families of Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, and Bonzo were no different. To be youths just after WWII with all the rebuilding and heartache MUST have affected their musical and artistic directions in some way. The O2 Intro is just one example. Remember Jimmy in the German SS outfit and the outrage that brought on?

It reminds me of Hogan's Heroes.

Hogan’s Heroes was a satirical American television situation comedy that ran from September 17, 1965, to July 4, 1971, on the CBS network for 168 episodes. Starring Bob Crane as Colonel Robert E. Hogan, the show was set in a German prisoner of war (POW) camp during World War II.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes

LOL....ROBERT IS CUTE!!! :rolleyes:

hmmmm...so...am I a thinker ..or a lover.... :unsure:

:blink:

I don't know, but the silhouette on the mod chair looks somewhat like the picture of Alison K that is to the right. Robert and Alison look so good together..Sorry Jimmy...you were a dandy in your day.

Speaking of air raid sirens and robert plant/alison krauss. Plant has gone from playing hard rock music and sounding like an air raid siren on -how may more times, to this current album with -alison krauss. Now thats an amazing amount of music right there.

:beer: The 1980 'Tour Over Europe' was depicted by a WWII image (you know the one) - and it was the last tour of course.

It could be said therefore that a WWII siren is symbolic of bridging a 27 year gap.

That particular image depicts an actual Air Raid Warden on patrol in London so the connection is obvious. If memory serves correct, Peter Grant simply had the photo

taken from the cover of a vintage British magazine and stylized for the poster. This

same approach was taken for the Presence album artwork, culling images and then

stylizing them.

Because it's a message board. If I don't think something makes sense, if I think something is wrong, I will say so. The same as other people are free to say that it makes sense or that it's right.

Not everything any of us say makes sense, we just feel like we need to say it. The same goes with me, I love Zep's music but I feel as Jimmy once said.."The music is a vehicle for something bigger."

I look for the "bigger" part of their songs, album covers, words, etc. It's all about the Magick, Myth, and Mystery to me. Say what you will, agree or disagree, join me or not. It's all a journey, it's all good, and it would be my pleasure to share it with whomever.

...consumed by the Fire in your Eyes...*)

A link to explore the role of air raid wardens in British society further:

http://www.nbcd.org.uk/arp/equipment/warden.asp

(edit: added the word raid to post)

Thanks man! Good link! Found this also:

Here is a January 1944 (Jimmy's birth month) series of events in Britain regarding the War:

January Civilian casualties in Britain rose to 107 killed and 260 injured in January.

January 6, Thursday Air Ministry says Bomber Command dropped 157,000 tons of bombs on Germany in 1943; Luftwaffe dropped only 2,400 tons on Britain.

January 20, Thursday British air force drops 2,300 tons of bombs on Berlin.

January 21, Friday Largest Luftwaffe raid on Britain for some time: 90 planes spotted over SE England in 'Little Blitz'.

January 22, Saturday British miners win pay rise: face workers earn £5 a week.

January 29, Saturday Luftwaffe penetrate to London: Davis Cinema, Croydon, receives direct hit but miraculously only seven killed out of 1,250 audience.

January - April Series of heavy air raids on London and other major cities, known as the "Little Blitz".

The O2 Intro is just one example. Remember Jimmy in the German SS outfit and the outrage that brought on?

Actually, there was no outrage then or since. It didn't even make the papers the next

day. You have to remember it was Chicago, 1977. The height of the Me Generation.

Anyway, Jimmy would tell you, as he's told others, he doesn't see what the fuss is all

about. "It wasn't the full uniform, just the johdpors (pants), boots and hat". On the

other hand, when Keith Richards arrived at a Rolling Stones wedding reception in

FRANCE, 1975 wearing a full SS Uniform there was a bit of backlash.

• Administrators
What else is cool about the http://www.ledzeppelin.com/reunion site is if you let the thing play thru - after the air raid siren - turn up your volume control and sub-woofer if you got 'em. The low end is incredible with a "howling wind" sound above it - and some kinda knocking sound - way cool!

Glad you liked that. I heavily eq'd the bass up full on that sound effect. It shakes the room! B)

I designed that page and basically the overall concept is just based on the earlier use of WWII themed Zep imagery.

Glad you liked that. I heavily eq'd the bass up full on that sound effect. It shakes the room! B)

I designed that page and basically the overall concept is just based on the earlier use of WWII themed Zep imagery.

It's truly brilliant, Sam. There couldn't possibly be a better way to showcase the event.

Loved it Sam! Nice job...it's ominous but somehow very fitting in these times. I always loved the "presence" of something other than just a musical event.

Archived