Sanatan Dharma

I Am

I was wondering if there was anyone on the board who was Hindu ... of whatever persuasion (or denomination).

Shakta, Vaishnav, Shaivite ... whatever.

Were you born that way ... who is your Ish Devata ... Why do are you a devotee to one or another Deity?

Do you understand the reformations that have occured in Hinduism? (Adi Shankaracharya. Ramanuja ... Vivekananda ... )?

Are you devoted to any saints? (Sai Baba, Shri Ramakrishna, Ammaji, Anandamayi Maa)?

... and why? How have they guided you?

I am a Shakta. Many Hindus believe that Vishnu (and His avatara) are an expression od the highest manifestation of Brahman. I believe Shri Maa is the highset manifestation of Brahman.

What do you think ... and why?

Do you practive Yoga? ... for health or for religious reasons? I believe yoga is strictly a devotional practice ... and the West has diluted it into merely a physical health activity.

Does anyone understand the differences between Jnana yoga, Karma yoga, Bhakti yoga and Hatha (Ashtanga) yoga?

I respect everyone's opinion ... and I love You for whoever you are.

-0-

I'm disappointed.

Seems you two are not simply people of another faith ... but are staunchly against the very idea of practicing Hinduism.

Oh well.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive for putting it out there.

PS Bigstick - that would be "Hind-don't".

;)

Seems you two are not simply people of another faith ... but are staunchly against the very idea of practicing Hinduism.

This statement is a lie, I never said that. All I stated was that I was not a member of that faith, I never said anything about being "staunchly against" practicing it. Your assumption makes both myself and bigstickbonzo sound prejudiced or something, and I don't like that.

I was wondering if there was anyone on the board who was Hindu ... of whatever persuasion (or denomination).

Shakta, Vaishnav, Shaivite ... whatever.

Were you born that way ... who is your Ish Devata ... Why do are you a devotee to one or another Deity?

Do you understand the reformations that have occured in Hinduism? (Adi Shankaracharya. Ramanuja ... Vivekananda ... )?

Are you devoted to any saints? (Sai Baba, Shri Ramakrishna, Ammaji, Anandamayi Maa)?

... and why? How have they guided you?

I am a Shakta. Many Hindus believe that Vishnu (and His avatara) are an expression od the highest manifestation of Brahman. I believe Shri Maa is the highset manifestation of Brahman.

What do you think ... and why?

Do you practive Yoga? ... for health or for religious reasons? I believe yoga is strictly a devotional practice ... and the West has diluted it into merely a physical health activity.

Does anyone understand the differences between Jnana yoga, Karma yoga, Bhakti yoga and Hatha (Ashtanga) yoga?

I respect everyone's opinion ... and I love You for whoever you are.

-0-

I don't know much about the Hindu religion, and am constantly confused about the differences in most Eastern religions. I never know the difference between a Hindu and a Buddhist.... are they some how releated like Christians and Jews or Protestants and Catholics?

Btw, welcome to the board.

~Del

This statement is a lie, I never said that. All I stated was that I was not a member of that faith, I never said anything about being "staunchly against" practicing it. Your assumption makes both myself and bigstickbonzo sound prejudiced or something, and I don't like that.

I didn't tell a lie.

I expressed and opinion about my impression of the first two rersponses. I even made the caveat that I was perhaps being over-sensitive.

I don't no why you would be so defensive ... but I'm sorry that you are.

Nope..

Certified Hind-can't.

I'm not a practitioner of that particular faith either.

Yeah, I don't see how you got "staunchly against the very idea of practicing Hinduism" from those posts either. I think it's safe to say you are indeed being "over-sensitive" about it. And both posters have every right to be defensive when you've so obviously jumped to utterly asinine conclusions about them.

I don't know much about the Hindu religion, and am constantly confused about the differences in most Eastern religions. I never know the difference between a Hindu and a Buddhist.... are they some how releated like Christians and Jews or Protestants and Catholics?

Btw, welcome to the board.

~Del

Thanks for the welcome.

There are many differences even just within Hinduism. It's a very broad religion, and cultivates many varied theologial and philosophical concepts among many varied sects, denominations and traditions.

For instance, though accepting that God may express Itself as many Deities, Vaishnavs believe that it is Vishnu that is Supreme. Shaktas concieve God as Mother; the manifest power of God (Shakti), and the underlaying stratum of all cosmic processes; including creation, sustainment and destruction. She is also the bewildering power (Maya) by which our souls are blinded to their true nature. Shaivite's consider Shiva as Supreme; and consider Shakti to be merely the creative energy that issues forth from an otherwise passive and inactive God.

There are, of course, many other diiference. Some Hindus believe in the strict "Oneness" of the Cosmos; essentially that our souls as well as the World are nothing more than the exact same thing as God (Advaita); there are those who believe in the Oneness of God, but a oneness that is made up of different parts (Visishadvaita); and there are Dualists, who believe in a complete distinction between God and the soul of Mankind.

The common thread of all these different beliefs is faith in the Vedas (ancient Hindu Scriptures), the belief in Karma and the cycle of rebirth, a focus on realizing one's Dharma (relgious duty, rightious living) and the Truth that the path to God is many. Hinduism, by the way, has no founder...though Hindu religion recognizes that God may manifest in Human form (like Krishna or Rama, who are avatara of Vishnu) ... and can be worshipped as such.

It's a Dharmic religion, like Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism ... which share the belief in Karma, reincarnation and Dharma.

I don't know much about these other religions in detail; but I know that the Sikh religion was founded by a teacher and saint. Buddhism is basically a Hindu heresy (it does not accept the Vedas); but otherwise there are many similarities, though the focus seems (to me) to be more a philosophical one, rather than a devotional one. As far as the geneological relationship between the two goes, I would say that Buddhism is to Hinduism as Protestantism is to Catholicism.

Curiously, some Vaishnavs consider the Buddha an avatar of Vishnu; so he has been incorporated into the Hindu faith in that regard.

At least for those particular Vaishnavs. ;)

-0-

Yeah, I don't see how you got "staunchly against the very idea of practicing Hinduism" from those posts either. I think it's safe to say you are indeed being "over-sensitive" about it. And both posters have every right to be defensive when you've so obviously jumped to utterly asinine conclusions about them.

I apologize.

Thanks for the welcome.

There are many differences even just within Hinduism. It's a very broad religion, and cultivates many varied theologial and philosophical concepts among many varied sects, denominations and traditions.

For instance, though accepting that God may express Itself as many Deities, Vaishnavs believe that it is Vishnu that is Supreme. Shaktas concieve God as Mother; the manifest power of God (Shakti), and the underlaying stratum of all cosmic processes; including creation, sustainment and destruction. She is also the bewildering power (Maya) by which our souls are blinded to their true nature. Shaivite's consider Shiva as Supreme; and consider Shakti to be merely the creative energy that issues forth from an otherwise passive and inactive God.

There are, of course, many other diiference. Some Hindus believe in the strict "Oneness" of the Cosmos; essentially that our souls as well as the World are nothing more than the exact same thing as God (Advaita); there are those who believe in the Oneness of God, but a oneness that is made up of different parts (Visishadvaita); and there are Dualists, who believe in a complete distinction between God and the soul of Mankind.

The common thread of all these different beliefs is faith in the Vedas (ancient Hindu Scriptures), the belief in Karma and the cycle of rebirth, a focus on realizing one's Dharma (relgious duty, rightious living) and the Truth that the path to God is many. Hinduism, by the way, has no founder...though Hindu religion recognizes that God may manifest in Human form (like Krishna or Rama, who are avatara of Vishnu) ... and can be worshipped as such.

It's a Dharmic religion, like Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism ... which share the belief in Karma, reincarnation and Dharma.

I don't know much about these other religions in detail; but I know that the Sikh religion was founded by a teacher and saint. Buddhism is basically a Hindu heresy (it does not accept the Vedas); but otherwise there are many similarities, though the focus seems (to me) to be more a philosophical one, rather than a devotional one. As far as the geneological relationship between the two goes, I would say that Buddhism is to Hinduism as Protestantism is to Catholicism.

Curiously, some Vaishnavs consider the Buddha an avatar of Vishnu; so he has been incorporated into the Hindu faith in that regard.

At least for those particular Vaishnavs. ;)

-0-

Thank you for that answer.

I noticed that your screename has special significance to the Jewish and Christian faiths:

It is recorded in the Hebrew texts that when Moses asked God (Yaweh/Jehovah/Adonai), who appeared to Moses in the form of the burning bush, who God was -- God replied, "I AM WHO I AM; and He said, thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations" (Exodus 3:14-15). And then later in the Christian New Testament texts when the leaders of the Jewish Temple asked Jesus who he was he replied, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM." (John 8:58).

Does your screename have any special significance to the Hindu faith?

~Del

Thank you for that answer.

I noticed that your screename has special significance to the Jewish and Christian faiths:

It is recorded in the Hebrew texts that when Moses asked God (Yaweh/Jehovah/Adonai), who appeared to Moses in the form of the burning bush, who God was -- God replied, "I AM WHO I AM; and He said, thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations" (Exodus 3:14-15). And then later in the Christian New Testament texts when the leaders of the Jewish Temple asked Jesus who he was he replied, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM." (John 8:58).

Does your screename have any special significance to the Hindu faith?

~Del

Not in the same way.

It is an abbreviation of Ishta Ambe (Gauri)

It means "My chosen [Goddess] Ambe (Gauri)"

It is a reference to Sri Durga Mata ji (The Supreme Power of the Cosmos).

She rides a lion (sometimes a tiger when shown as Sherawali), has many weapons and is the chaste, unapproachable form of the wife of Shiva, and is a form of Kali Mata. She is the subject of a piece of Shakta scripture called the Devi Mahatmyam (or Durga Saptashati) ... and is the center of the yearly 10 day (nine night) Hindu celebration called Navratri.

HOWEVER ... Hindus do have a term "Tat Tvam Asi" ... which means "You are That" ... which designates the transcendent Brahman (God).

-0-

Archived