Bruce Springsteen

The Bomber

A thread for fans and general discussion about "The Boss"

Also,i'm seeing him live later this year in the RDS Dublin,does he still perform such a megalithic set as he did back in the good ol' days with the E Street Band,Y'know,the 4-hour set?

Thoughts on "Magic" anybody?

I love it.

• 2 months later...

Bruce Springsteen still commands the spotlight

09:04 AM CDT on Monday, April 14, 2008

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News

tchristensen@dallasnews.com

At 58, Bruce Springsteen no longer taps into the zeitgeist like he did in his glory days.

He titled his superb 2007 CD Magic, but it's bewitched no one aside from diehard fans: Radio ignored it, and even the Grammys didn't bother to nominate it for a major trophy.

But onstage, it's a different story. Give him a mike and a spotlight and he's still very much the Boss.

Mr. Springsteen and the E Street Band didn't sell out the American Airlines Center on Sunday night. But they reminded the near-capacity crowd why they're one of rock's greatest live acts: showmanship and spontaneity.

The longer the concert went, the looser it got. Near the two-and-a-half-hour mark, Jon Bon Jovi – in town to play the AAC on Monday – appeared from thin air to co-sing "Glory Days." (Finally, a chance to duet with the guy he's spent his whole career imitating.)

"Dancing in the Dark" was even more of a hoot, as Mr. Springsteen pulled a dozen gleeful grade-school girls from the crowd to serve as the "E Street Dancers."

His set list was equally unpredictable, with obscure oldies like "Meeting Across the River" and "Independence Day" mixing with "American Land," his Pogues-style ode to immigrants. Even "Reason to Believe" took on new life as a swaggering Chicago blues.

Of course, he played "Born to Run" and "Badlands." But he also devoted a third of the show to new tunes that sounded as good as the classics. When's the last time you saw an arena-rock act pull that off?

As a performer, he's not quite the Energizer Bunny Mick Jagger is. Nor is he the Bruce of yore who used to leap through the air and slide across the stage on his knees.

But while his body has aged, the man inside hasn't mellowed a bit. He ranted against the Iraq war, ripped into President Bush (without ever naming him), and danced around his mike stand like a stripper gone wild.

The E Street Band was sterling as usual. But notable in their absence were keyboardist Danny Federici (who's battling melanoma) and singer Patti Scialfa, who stayed home in Jersey to make sure her and Mr. Springsteen's kids weren't throwing keg parties and cooking pot brownies, he said.

"When you have three teenagers, it gives a whole new meaning to 'homeland security.' "

-----------------------------------------------------

As a side Note, today on The Ticket AM 1310, the "Sports" station, the guys sat around and talked about the Springsteen concert and their impressions and experiences for about an hour. They mention that there was no opening act.... (like another great band I know !!!!).

What's so sad about the awful and dismal state of Rock radio in this town, is that it would -very- unlikely for ANY Rock stations in this town to have an intelligent and enterianing discussion about a rock concert, for almost an hour! You have to go to a Sports station for that ! The world is really very screwed up !!!

Edited by The Rover

Kinda funny coming from a guy that bitched at me so much about doing the exact same thing. Not to mention the constant complaining about me posting articles when you've also done the same thing. Pot, meet the kettle.

Buddy saw him recently and the show was just over 2 hours.

Kinda funny coming from a guy that bitched at me so much about doing the exact same thing. Not to mention the constant complaining about me posting articles when you've also done the same thing. Pot, meet the kettle.

NOW you are responding to a post of mine made OVER TWO MONTHS AGO. You must be desperate to add to your list of forum fights. First of all, I didn't cut and past the rules and regulations and then rip the guy a new a'hole like YOU do when pointing out the duplicate thread. I pointed it out and then just politely answered his question. Regarding posting of articles, you are hands down the king, posting multiple alt. country articles within a one hour time period. I've probably posted five in the 3 1/2 months I've been coming here.

NOW you are responding to a post of mine made OVER TWO MONTHS AGO. You must be desperate to add to your list of forum fights. First of all, I didn't cut and past the rules and regulations and then rip the guy a new a'hole like YOU do when pointing out the duplicate thread. I pointed it out and then just politely answered his question. Regarding posting of articles, you are hands down the king, posting multiple alt. country articles within a one hour time period. I've probably posted five in the 3 1/2 months I've been coming here.

Well, I missed it the first time. And for the record, I never ripped anyone a new one over multiple threads on the same topic, I politely pointed it out (as did several others). I couldn't help it if the topic the person had duplicated was on the very same page more than a couple of times. They claimed a "language barrier" but I'm not so sure I buy into that.

As for starting "forum fights", I have done nothing of the sort. You, on the other hand attempt to start shit at nearly every given opportunity.

In regards to posting articles, there's no rules or regulations about how often one can post (other than flood control) or the nature of them. If you don't like them, don't read them. It's pretty fucking easy.

Even now... The Ticket guys are talking about the Springsteen concert last night.

Several of the guys got to sit in Mark Cuban's suite, as he was out of town watching a Mavericks game.....

Other guys sat in the stands, and others stood in the GA on the floor.

Listen to the Ticket Online:

http://www.theticket.com/listen.htm

Edited by The Rover

Even now... The Ticket guys are talking about the Springsteen concert last night.

Several of the guys got to sit in Mark Cuban's suite, as he was out of town watching a Mavericks game.....

Other guys sat in the stands, and others stood in the GA on the floor.

Listen to the Ticket Online:

http://www.theticket.com/listen.htm

go to Backstreets and you can read some great reviews, set lists and song tour premiers. Great site.

I saw Bruce 3 times (not nearly enough) and he played for almost 3 hrs. Last time i saw Bruce was when he toured for "The Rising". That show was the only New Jersey venue i saw Bruce play. Anyway a Bruce concert is an event that keeps you feeling energized for weeks afterwards. He is one of the BEST performers ever.

My favorite period for Bruce music is from the start in 1973 to 1980, but i love much of his later music, too. Even people who don't particularly like Bruce's music change their opinion after seeing him in concert. I have a friend who found that out. She would always make fun of his singing, but when she attended a show with me and her husband who is a Bruce fan, she had an awesome time. She even liked Bruce after that. No more Bob Dylan imitations from her!

Everyone seeing The Boss, enjoy! Even with steep ticket prices, you will get your money's worth in abundance. I say at 58 years of age, Bruce is the best looking and healthiest rocker around!

I've never seen The Boss, but I had a similar experience seeing Eric Clapton in 1983. I had never owned any albums that he contibuted to. And I knew who EC was, of course. But seeing him perform with the ARMS Tour... was a facinating experience! Eric was superb. And as good as all of the other performers were that evening... Eric was just fantastic from note one. It was in fact, such a satisfying experience.... that I have no regrets in not having seen Eric in concert since. The living memory lives on.... :D

THEBOSS2000NOLA.jpg

Last time I got to see Bruce He played between 2and 2 1/2 hours Not as energized as the 70's but still well worth the money.

THEBOSS78NOLA.jpg

Dont remmeber how long He played but it was a long show.

Edited by alwizard03

Rock star Bruce Springsteen has officially endorsed Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for president.

He stated on Wednesday that “he speaks to the America I’ve envisioned in my music for the past 35 years.”

He sent out a letter to his friends and fans on his Web site stating that he believed Obama is the best choice to become the next president of the United States.

He stated Obama will be able to reverse “the terrible damage done over the past eight years.”

“He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next president,” the letter said. “He speaks to the America I’ve envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that’s interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where ‘…nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone.”

He made no direct mention in regards to Sen. Hillary Clinton in his posting on his Web site.

From CNN.com:

E Street Band's Danny Federici dies

NEW YORK (AP) -- Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band's sound on hits from "Hungry Heart" through "The Rising," died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen's official Web site.

According to published reports, Federici last performed with Springsteen and the band March 20, appearing during portions of a show in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Saturday in Orlando, Florida, were postponed after news of Federici's death.

He was born in Flemington, New Jersey, a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, New Jersey, a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici -- often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan" -- was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late '80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Federici played accordion on the wistful "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" from Springsteen's second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen's first top 10 hit, "Hungry Heart." His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song "You're Missing" provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on "The Rising" in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist "Little" Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, "Flemington." In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, "Out of a Dream."

Federici took a leave of absence during the band's tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as "one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.

From the Rocky Mount, NC Telegram:

E Street Band’s Danny Federici — Rest In Peace

By Jeff Herrin

My wife and I scored tickets in 2001 to one of Bruce Springsteen’s famed Holiday Shows at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in Asbury Park, N.J.. At the last minute, I noticed on a Web site somewhere that Danny Federici (longtime organist and keyboard player for the E Street Band) was going to be at Jack’s Music Shoppe in Red Bank on the afternoon of the show to sign records and CDs.

We drove like mad to get to Jack’s in time, figuring that even if we had to stand in line for an hour or so, it would be worth it.

Amazingly, there might have been three people in the entire store when we got there. Danny stood smiling behind a counter and thanked me when I bought a copy of his new solo jazz album, then asked him to sign it.

I couldn’t believe we were the only people in the store with him. He talked to us for a good 15-20 minutes … as if he had all the time in the world for two complete strangers from North Carolina.

I asked him about rumors of a new Springsteen album (the first with the E Streeters in almost 15 years), and he told me Bruce and the band had been recording some stuff just before 9/11.

After that, he said, everything had changed … schedules, flights and most of all … the subject matter of Bruce’s music. It was the first time I heard any kind of hint about what was to become “The Rising” — Springsteen’s 2002 album that deals in large part with the 9/11 tragedies.

Danny asked Susan and me how long we had been married, then kidded about some of the … um … less-than-lifelong relationships he had been in.

He joked about a lot of things, actually. And even though Susan and I were pinching ourselves to be talking to someone who had been a key part of the E Street Band since its inception, he acted like he was the one honored by our company.

Danny died of melanoma Thursday.

You meet so many jerks day in, day out. But on that afternoon, in December 2001, Danny Federici was the nicest guy in the world. We had driven from North Carolina to Red Bank, N.J., to meet a guy whose talent we’d long admired. We left feeling like we’d been in the house of a friend.

God bless him. Some of the greatest music this life has ever offered will never sound the same again.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...