Roy Harper

JethroTull

I own one Roy Harper CD and it's really due a listen. He was held in high regard by the members of Tull back in the day and probably has done a few shows with them. Ian said in Rolling Stone that Roy Harper could mop the floor with all the Dylans and Lightfoots out there or something to that degree. Anybody own any Roy?

I have the album below on vinyl !! I like the first and last song best !!

Roy Harper & Jimmy Page - Jugular

Nineteen Forty-Eightish

Bad Speech

Hope

Hangman

Elizabeth

Frozen Moment

Twentieth Century Man

Advertisement

I have the album below on vinyl !! I like the first and last song best !!

Roy Harper & Jimmy Page - Jugula

Nineteen Forty-Eightish

Bad Speech

Hope

Hangman

Elizabeth

Frozen Moment

Twentieth Century Man

Advertisement

Have that too also on vinyl :D It's a great album.

My release is called appropriately enough Valentine. Dedicated to the four members of Zeppelin. Jimmy plays guitar on one of the rowdier tracks called Male Chauvinistic Pig Blues or something like that. That song is a difficult listen. I even find some of the other more acoustic songs a bit jarring. There are 3 or 4 songs I enjoy. Back in the day, Roy kept good company - Tull, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

NOTE: The first song is called Forbidden Fruit. What sounds like a nice little love song is actually (I think) about a relationship with a 13 year old girl on the playground after school.

Another good record that led zep fans would like, other than jugula, is -hq with jpj and dave gilmore on it. There is alot of good guitar work from harper on the other cds i have from him too. He isnt an artist i listen to just a few songs at a time, more like a roy harper listening session, same with the grateful dead, the doors, the who.

Wouldnt say hats off is their worst song...actually its pretty fantastic, there again my favourite Zep album is Presence so what do I know.

Work of Heart by Roy Harper was a great record, but my favourite will always be Bulinamingvase.

One of those days in England with a sword in every pond etc etc..........classic stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly with the praise for Roy's Stormcock album. Definetely worth seeking out is the 2CD compilation called Counter Culture, which is a fairly thorough introduction to the great man's work.

However, I would definetely recommend checking out Roy's son NICK HARPER.

Nick has shades of his Father's vocal abilities, but is very much his own man. He's also a guitar virtuoso, and can easily give any of the great axemen a run for their money.

Check him out here:

www.harperspace.com

Nick's work is easier to appreciate after seeing his incendiary live show. During regular versions of the Elvis favourite Guitar Man, Nick is known to tip the hat to Zep with scarily good renditions of Dazed & Confused, Whole Lotta Love. More recently he has been throwing in an impromptu version of Four Sticks during another medley.

Wouldnt say hats off is their worst song...actually its pretty fantastic, there again my favourite Zep album is Presence so what do I know.

Work of Heart by Roy Harper was a great record, but my favourite will always be Bulinamingvase.

One of those days in England with a sword in every pond etc etc..........classic stuff.

Hat's Off is their least great,i love every Zep song but i love HOT®H the least.

I like -work of heart, drawn to the flames is a really good song. Wasnt this the record that got roy harper cancelled from his record label?

Archived