Best drums you've ever played?

purdieshuffle

Wanted to hear what all you drummers feel is the best kit you've ever played..What make?...What year??? what type of wood??? Large or small? (what size kit, and what size drums).

So far for me it has been an early 70's slingerland kit. 5 piece in blue sparkle. 12, 13, and 16 toms. 22' bass. But there are so many I haven't tried...

Anyone???

I play on a standard Ludwig Accent w/ 13m tom and 2 16fl toms tuned differently like Buddy Rich used to do. I use Remo Coated Ambassadors for the striking side and Remo Emperors for the resonance side, ala Bonzo. The sound is really good, but thats just for me. I have a heavy stroke and the tone works for me. I tune my bass drum relatively high too, but not as high as one would guess compared to my other drums. I use an entire Paiste 2002 set with 15'' Sound Edge Hi-Hats, an 18in Crash on my left, a 20in ride over the right slope of the bass drum and an 18in Medium crash on the right between my two floor toms. I must say, the Paiste 2002 Hi-hats are just incredible. I couldn't imagine playing without their crisp sound.

Apparently he was using a Ludwig snare on most of the classic Maiden LP's, despite being signed up with Sonor at the time...!

Anyway, 402's are super aren't they? I've posted a link to a couple of live tracks from my band in the "Your Band" section of this Forum......check it out, let me know what you think....

Apparently he was using a Ludwig snare on most of the classic Maiden LP's, despite being signed up with Sonor at the time...!

Anyway, 402's are super aren't they? I've posted a link to a couple of live tracks from my band in the "Your Band" section of this Forum......check it out, let me know what you think....

Snare drums to drummers have always been a personal thing. Keith Moon used a Gretsch snare for years despite being endorsed by Premier.

So far for me it has been an early 70's slingerland kit. 5 piece in blue sparkle.

In 1966 I got a brand new set of Ludwig (maple) blue sparkle with all Zildjian cymbals. But I was young and stupid and they were eventually reposessed. :(

I've always loved Ludwig but I think the best sounding snare I've ever heard was the Slingerland model played by Gene Krupa. In his classic drum battles with Buddy Rich I always liked Krupa's snare better. :)

• 1 month later...

a giant black pearl set. they were at my church when i was a kid. i count the church drumer as inspiration to me as well. i'd watch him every sunday. he was pretty heavy. sometimes i'd go up after service and he'd let me hit them. there's also something cool about playing rock n roll stuff feet away from where people just denounced it and "gave their souls". playing an instrament gave me the same feeling they got. but better.

• 1 month later...

I've had so many kits, I can't remember them all.

My fav and most memorable one would have to be a Camco kit from the early 60's.

It had a Bonzo set up, with a 24"kick, 14" mount and 16 & 18" floors. Add a Ludwig chrome snare and Remo Roto toms and that set rocked. Wish I had a picture to post and I wish I still had them.

• 1 month later...

Those drumsets are inspiring just to look at pictures of. Drool factor indeed, I feel like a hobo.

The best set I ever played were white wrap Yamahas: 10" & 12" toms mounted on a 22" bass with a 16" floor tom. A guitarist friend bought them in a pawn shop for $500 about ten years ago. I offered $1000 but he knew what he had (and still has them.) The toms had coated Ambassadors, a paradigm shift after I played black dots ala Bonzo for 20 years. I used to never change a head till it broke. After that experience with coated heads I installed a full set on a Bonhamesque Ludwig kit I bought around 1977. Like playing a different set.

I own the NEXT best drumset I ever played, no kidding, it's a beginner Mapex rig that cost $300-$400 in 2000. People chuckle at the 18" bass, the 8" & 10" rack toms, and the 12" x 12" floor tom (for some really heavy bottom color.) Last year I added a 16" x 16" PDG floor tom; I knew somewhere down the line I'd want a second floor tom so I bought the Mapex in a black wrap to easily match any brand drum. A 14" Ludwig chrome snare from the 70s with a die-cast hoop completes the kit.

I know that's the cheapest of cheapshit gear but I've never had as much fun playing rock music on ANY set as those tiny Mapex drums. They're fun to pound but playing with finesse gets the best tone. A bass player told me, "They sound like shit when I play 'em. You sound like Bonham on them." I don't, but that bassist gets a Christmas card from me every year.

Archived