New Zeppelin Tour Solution... Robert – Why Not Try This...

I totally commend Robert for doing his own thing.

I think his rumoured decision to not go out on a full-blown tour has more to do with not having to feel pressured about anything anymore, as well as having complete artistic freedom to do what he wants, not what's expected. Zeppelin have nothing to prove as far as epic scale goes or money making prowess.

Saying that, there is one thing that Robert should consider. He knows that as a unit, Page, Plant and Jones have a perfect live chemistry. If money is no longer the objective, maybe the band should think about the idea of totally pleasing themselves and testing the concept of 'small is beautiful'.

If I was in Robert's shoes, I would confound and delight the fans at the same time, by playing a series of Zeppelin shows over the next ten years, in tiny, interesting, unusual and atmospheric venues that only hold 200ish people maximum. I'd not necessarily play them in any expected sequence or number, just when it suited the band. It could have the effect of making the band remember why they started in the first place and more importantly, make it a potentially magical experience for THEM.

They could just turn up and play an acoustic set, if it made it any easier. I'd also get bands such as San Francisco's Vetiver or Africa's Tinariwen to support or join in on the odd occasion. They could play blues, bluegrass, African, Indian, alternative or whatever.

For me, that would be heaven, even if I couldn't get a ticket!

IMHO, it could have used more rehearsal. Jimmy wishes now he had cut his hair first :lol:

I thought the Unledded show was phenomenal! But we were sooo hungry weren't we? It was like manna from heaven! I loved the use of the Egyptian orchestra and the way they revisited certain songs. However, when you watch the stripped down '98 stuff (Budokan is a true standout), with BIGLY, Wanton Song and Tea For One, for example, it just peels your scalp back!

LOL about Jimmy's hair! Yes, he's still "so vain" *cue Carly Simon*! "Perfect ringlets that hung just so." (quoting PDB). :beer:

I thought the Unledded show was phenomenal! But we were sooo hungry weren't we? It was like manna from heaven! I loved the use of the Egyptian orchestra and the way they revisited certain songs. However, when you watch the stripped down '98 stuff (Budokan is a true standout), with BIGLY, Wanton Song and Tea For One, for example, it just peels your scalp back!

LOL about Jimmy's hair! Yes, he's still "so vain" *cue Carly Simon*! "Perfect ringlets that hung just so." (quoting PDB). :beer:

Hehe, I love Jimmy's hair. :P

I love Unledded, too.... I think the orchestra really 'fills out' songs like Rain Song and Kashmir. I think I prefer the versions of those two songs on Unledded to any Zep performance of them. I love Jimmy on the Rain Song on the DVD... he looks so happy at the end! :wub: Another highlight for me is No Quarter. The arrangement of it is pretty sweet, I love it even though its completely different.

Hehe, I love Jimmy's hair. :P

I love Unledded, too.... I think the orchestra really 'fills out' songs like Rain Song and Kashmir. I think I prefer the versions of those two songs on Unledded to any Zep performance of them. I love Jimmy on the Rain Song on the DVD... he looks so happy at the end! :wub: Another highlight for me is No Quarter. The arrangement of it is pretty sweet, I love it even though its completely different.

the tour was amazing...but when i got to take my kids to see the theatrical release a few years ago and i got to see The Rain Song on the big screen, it brought tears to my eyes

Face it. Large stadium gigs are pretty s**t really.

I've been going to gigs for almost thirty years and I refuse to follow the crowd and pay extortionate prices to be stuck in a large shed.

For the past 18 years or so, I only go to gigs in small venues that cost less than £15.00. And before you say it, it has nothing to do with being tight.

The small venue is wonderful, plus you get to brush shoulders with the bands at the bar. Last August, I went to see four bands (Vetiver, Dead Meadow, PG Six and Arboretum) at The Point in Cardiff (a converted old church) for the grand sum of £8.50. It was fantastic. One of the singers was selling t-shirts at the back for crying out load! How intimate can you get.

Zeppelin have done the big stuff. How about some intimate stuff. Plant should make them all play at the Three Tuns pub in Bishops Castle. That would p**s a few people off!

One of the singers was selling t-shirts at the back for crying out load! How intimate can you get.

Robert Plant briefly collected cash at the door for his Honeydrippers gig at Bradford University on May 27th 1981. I don't think we'll ever see something like that again!

I like the concept, but in reality it just wouldn't work. Can you imagine the security situation issues that would arise if word got out that Zeppelin were playing a small, local venue?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't help but think they're just too big to pull something like that off...

Archived