John COUGAR

Legend has it he should've become the new Elvis Presley......wh' happn'??!! :blink:

He didn't sing other people's songs. JCM is one the great American song writers/singers along with Petty, Springsteen, Young, etc. He should have been in a loooooong time ago. Much like other bands who recently got in (i.e. Van Halen, Sabbath, etc.). I don't give too much credit to the Rock 'n Roll HOF, too political - which so goes against rock 'n roll in the first place.

Peace.

"Don't believe the lies, critically analyze." - John Butler

He didn't sing other people's songs. JCM is one the great American song writers/singers along with Petty, Springsteen, Young, etc. He should have been in a loooooong time ago. Much like other bands who recently got in (i.e. Van Halen, Sabbath, etc.). I don't give too much credit to the Rock 'n Roll HOF, too political - which so goes against rock 'n roll in the first place.

Peace.

Rock n' Roll and politics go hand in hand, so I don't see how "politics goes against rock n' roll". As for Mellencamp, this is the first time he's been nominated and he was inducted right away, which is a lot more than I can say for many more deserving artists than Mellencamp. Like Skynyrd for example, they were eligible years ago but it took them being nominated 9 times before they were ever inducted. I really don't see what Mellencamp has done to even be eligible for induction. He's definitely no Dylan in the songwriting department. That aside, the real travesty is the induction of Madonna. She has never recorded a note of rock n' roll music in her life.

That aside, the real travesty is the induction of Madonna. She has never recorded a note of rock n' roll music in her life.

....esp. when great bands like Yes and Rush haven't been inducted yet

Rock n' Roll and politics go hand in hand, so I don't see how "politics goes against rock n' roll". As for Mellencamp, this is the first time he's been nominated and he was inducted right away, which is a lot more than I can say for many more deserving artists than Mellencamp. Like Skynyrd for example, they were eligible years ago but it took them being nominated 9 times before they were ever inducted. I really don't see what Mellencamp has done to even be eligible for induction. He's definitely no Dylan in the songwriting department. That aside, the real travesty is the induction of Madonna. She has never recorded a note of rock n' roll music in her life.

Not in a literal sense does r'n'r go with politcs - anti-politcal yes. I mean when you have to kiss some group of nominators asses to get into a club that is supposed to recognize the greatest and most influential musical artists - that's too political. Zeppelin never received Grammy's not because they weren't the greatest and most influential artists of the day ('70's), its because they wouldn't kiss the music biz's asses. Same for the Rock 'n Roll HOF - it's just a bullshit honor (and I use that term loosely).

Peace.

The only thing I ever liked by Mellancamp was the Scarecrow album. That little 30's recording of his grandmother he stuck in there was something I always appreciated, and it sets the tone of the album very well. His work with 'Farm Aid' over the years is a compliment to him as well.

I wish I had a dollar for every lousy bar band that attempted "The Authority Song" back in the day. :blink:

Grew up in a pink house by the way.

I'm still holding it in until the eyes start to pop. I'd toss a lung for ya', but that happened back in '86.

I think he ment that it seems like you are sucking out of the bowl, instead of lighting it. Interesting enough though!! :thumbsup:

Peace.

Not in a literal sense does r'n'r go with politcs - anti-politcal yes. I mean when you have to kiss some group of nominators asses to get into a club that is supposed to recognize the greatest and most influential musical artists - that's too political.

I don't recall seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd kissing anyone's ass to get in but I get what you're saying if you mean the Hall denied them for so many years because of silly stuff like their use of the Confederate flag onstage. Then again, no one knows for sure why the Hall took their dear, sweet time inducting them. Same thing with Gene Pitney, though I can't think of a single thing that was controversial about him.

Zeppelin never received Grammy's not because they weren't the greatest and most influential artists of the day ('70's), its because they wouldn't kiss the music biz's asses. Same for the Rock 'n Roll HOF - it's just a bullshit honor (and I use that term loosely).

Peace.

Led Zeppelin received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammy folks not long ago but I know what you mean. Still, I don't think one has to kiss anyone's ass to win a Grammy. I believe they're just completely out of touch with music itself (Tull for "best metal album"?), something they've tried to remedy in recent years. Giving Zep a Grammy years after the fact is a clear sign of them trying to make up for past oversights. Same thing with that Southern Rock tribute they did a few years ago. It was far too little, too late.

I don't recall seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd kissing anyone's ass to get in but I get what you're saying if you mean the Hall denied them for so many years because of silly stuff like their use of the Confederate flag onstage. Then again, no one knows for sure why the Hall took their dear, sweet time inducting them. Same thing with Gene Pitney, though I can't think of a single thing that was controversial about him.

Led Zeppelin received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammy folks not long ago but I know what you mean. Still, I don't think one has to kiss anyone's ass to win a Grammy. I believe they're just completely out of touch with music itself (Tull for "best metal album"?), something they've tried to remedy in recent years. Giving Zep a Grammy years after the fact is a clear sign of them trying to make up for past oversights. Same thing with that Southern Rock tribute they did a few years ago. It was far too little, too late.

I totally agree with your Skynard call. The thing is the hall gives into these 50's and 60's groups left and right, but didn't give any of the 70's artists their due. It's kinda like Rolling Stone Mag., they will put The Beatles members all over their mag, along with the Stones, but bands like Zep, Floyd, Skynard, etc. never get any credit until they do, like you said, give them some sort of career retrospective. Completely dissed them when they were at their heyday, but want to cash in years later like they supported them all along. It pisses me off the way a lot of the bands from the 70's were treated as second rate compared to the 60's groups like the Dead, Beatles, Stones, etc. Anyway, I think we have worn this thing out - lets join the dude earlier, except hit the right part of it :D Did he say he blew a lung out back in '86? Keep smokin' dude, keep smokin'...........

Peace.

Legend has it he should've become the new Elvis Presley......wh' happn'??!! :blink:

I am a fan of John's but he was never going to become the new Elvis because..

1. He Can't even come close to Elvis as a singer.

2. Nowhere near as good looking as Elvis

3. Could not move as good as Elvis

4. Did not have Elvis' charisma

5. Elvis kept his views on things (politics, etc) to himself. John hasn't.

elvis-nixon-01-crop.jpg

Elvis and Nixon agreed to keep their meeting private. Their meeting was not found out about until a year later by the press and that's when the pic was published. And the meeting had nothing to do with politics.

Elvis acquired an honorary DEA Agent badge from Nixon, which he then proceeded to use like he was a real agent. He was pulling people over on the highway, and even used it to board a plane to confront a passenger that was an employee of his that he suspected of stealing from him. Hilarious.

Elvis acquired an honorary DEA Agent badge from Nixon, which he then proceeded to use like he was a real agent. He was pulling people over on the highway, and even used it to board a plane to confront a passenger that was an employee of his that he suspected of stealing from him. Hilarious.

The DEA agent thing is especially ironic considering how he died.

Elvis and Nixon agreed to keep their meeting private. Their meeting was not found out about until a year later by the press and that's when the pic was published. And the meeting had nothing to do with politics.

When the President of the United States of America assigns an entertainer with a DEA Agent badge it has everything to do with politics.

One of the Memphis Mafia forged some checks in his name, stole some of his jewelry as well as pics of Priscilla and another women. :P The plane was on the runway and Elvis used the badge to board the plane and drag the guy off the plane. I would have loved to have seen the passengers faces. :D

The DEA agent thing is especially ironic considering how he died.

At the time he got the badge he did not have a drug problem. That came later. And never illegal drugs like other rock stars at the time.

Archived