Vinyl first run vs. repressings

Blazier

So I have spent a lot of time listening to mint & near mint LPs of LZ. With initial pressings, on a proper turntable (pref. with a tube amp and properly set up midrange crossover on yer speakers), the sound is beyond comparison with any subsequent digital iterations of the recordings. Apart from clarity (i.e., squeaking drum pedal on "Since I've Been Loving You", and various pick noises, mic squeaks, etc.), the sound is better; the music is heavier, it rumbles, there is more there, especially on I, II, & III. I believe this is more how the band wanted to sound than what CDs sound like (especially theirs!) and why they didn't want to further sully their sound with '.mp3' and similar rubbish. Just Listen.

Sadly later pressings of vinyl are pretty poor, especially by the eighties, which is what most people will have heard since a cherry 1970 record is an expensive item which loses value with each beautiful rotation. Try to get a listen to Tangerine or What is and What Should Never Be on a well-preserved first run copy, it is pure Zep bliss.

My question is, does the label, group, or associates plan to re-press and re-release the analog-only (or remixed using modern analog gear) back catalog to heavy (180+ gram) vinyl, so that the true brilliance of the music and Page's production and engineering wizardry can again be enjoyed? My kids will hear my records; will yours hear the real deal?

Thanks JP, RP, & JPP; RIP JB (+ PG, SD, AE ... )

Yeah this is an interesting idea.

I didn't grow up in the vinyl era so I guess I'll never know the type of quality that is often attributed to it.

I might buy them if they were released again, just to see for myself.

So I have spent a lot of time listening to mint & near mint LPs of LZ. With initial pressings, on a proper turntable (pref. with a tube amp and properly set up midrange crossover on yer speakers), the sound is beyond comparison with any subsequent digital iterations of the recordings. Apart from clarity (i.e., squeaking drum pedal on "Since I've Been Loving You", and various pick noises, mic squeaks, etc.), the sound is better; the music is heavier, it rumbles, there is more there, especially on I, II, & III. I believe this is more how the band wanted to sound than what CDs sound like (especially theirs!) and why they didn't want to further sully their sound with '.mp3' and similar rubbish. Just Listen.

Sadly later pressings of vinyl are pretty poor, especially by the eighties, which is what most people will have heard since a cherry 1970 record is an expensive item which loses value with each beautiful rotation. Try to get a listen to Tangerine or What is and What Should Never Be on a well-preserved first run copy, it is pure Zep bliss.

My question is, does the label, group, or associates plan to re-press and re-release the analog-only (or remixed using modern analog gear) back catalog to heavy (180+ gram) vinyl, so that the true brilliance of the music and Page's production and engineering wizardry can again be enjoyed? My kids will hear my records; will yours hear the real deal?

Thanks JP, RP, & JPP; RIP JB (+ PG, SD, AE ... )

Did you listen to the Classic Records 180 gr vinyl reissues too??

Or the japanese first or last pressings, too?

I think that the answer to your question is there ...

As a record collector, I will always love vinyl and prefer original pressings.

Anyone can hear original pressings of Led Zeppelin records if they have a turntable and an eBay account. Because Led Zeppelin was a popular band at the time the records came out, many copies were pressed. That means that original pressings are easy to find and should not cost more than a new pressing (unless it is something rare or autographed). If you spend some time on eBay, you'll probably find some original pressings that are in excellent condition and are a lot cheaper than new records.

Thanks for the info- I will seek out the QUIEX discs and give'em a listen. The trouble with ebay etc is that many of the vendors will call an 'unscratched' record mint, or shrink wrap them and say brand new, or a host of other deceptions and its a pain to return them.

The crappy records are whatever was new on the shelves during most of the 80s up to the end of the new vinyl sections in record stores, and any of that music club (BMG etc) stuff. Avoid these -- readily identifiable by wafer thinness and/or the selection number embossed on the jacket and/or disc label.

If somebody has a link to a reliable vendor of said QUIEX pressings, my credit card is starting to burn a whole in my pocket....

Thanks for the info- I will seek out the QUIEX discs and give'em a listen. The trouble with ebay etc is that many of the vendors will call an 'unscratched' record mint, or shrink wrap them and say brand new, or a host of other deceptions and its a pain to return them.

The crappy records are whatever was new on the shelves during most of the 80s up to the end of the new vinyl sections in record stores, and any of that music club (BMG etc) stuff. Avoid these -- readily identifiable by wafer thinness and/or the selection number embossed on the jacket and/or disc label.

If somebody has a link to a reliable vendor of said QUIEX pressings, my credit card is starting to burn a whole in my pocket....

If you want a decent deal you're just going to have to hope that the vinyl is as advertised, which I've had few problems with in the past. If the price is good, and you really want the item take a risk.

The order of quality would be IMO, the MFSL issue of Zep II, then the 200 gm Quiex series, then the 180 gm, then the original Japanese issues, then a pristine first run issue.

I plan to get the whole collection in the 200gm. I still say vinyl the the best way to listen to them. :thumbsup: Remember when cd's came out they called them the new scratchless records ( what a hoax that was!!) but failed to say the limitations of cd's were inferior to vinyl. ( I was working at the world largest cd manufacturer in the the recording dept during the mid 80's....they were just trying to get the new format on the shelves as fast as they could. The transfers were all hurried and should now be used as beer coaster!!)

i got my QUIEX lp's from a ebay shop called "aural exploits" for cheap $21. the records were shrinkwrapped and just fine. except one thing: due to the little golden ring whichh holds the spinning wheel of III my lp got a mark on the back of the cover, because i assume that several III's were stapled up... know what i mean...??

but anyway. i can come clear with. it's really not that bad. better than a used one which was stated to be mint...

i got my QUIEX lp's from a ebay shop called "aural exploits" for cheap $21. the records were shrinkwrapped and just fine. except one thing: due to the little golden ring whichh holds the spinning wheel of III my lp got a mark on the back of the cover, because i assume that several III's were stapled up... know what i mean...??

but anyway. i can come clear with. it's really not that bad. better than a used one which was stated to be mint...

You get the BBC 200 gm as well??? ;):thumbsup:

LZ III is the record that got me buying vinyl again.

There was still some vinyl around when I started buying music, but

as some have said, these were the dying days of new vinyl and

I have to wonder if lowering the quality had anything to do with selling the

'scratchless :rolleyes: " CDs. :)

Anyway, I digress, as usual.

I picked up a somewhat battered LZ III lp in the bargain bins at a local record shop.

I just wanted the spinning jacket.

As soon as I got a needle for the record player my friend fished out of the garbage

I put that LZ III on just for the heck of it.

I've had the original CD pressing of this album for years and years

and it has always been one of my favorites.

I've often attributed my overwhelming fondness for this album to it being a get-well present while still mostly numbed from having my wisdom teeth extracted under full anesthetic.

But, even this old copy (probably not even from 1970) made me hear the album

as if I had never heard it before. I couldn't believe it.

The vinyl makes Hats off to (Roy) Harper make sense suddenly! :);):lol:

I think acoustic music, especially, sounds really great on vinyl.

That's why Jazz vinyl is so sought after and is, if anything, more expensive

and why most rock vinyl ends up in bargain bins.... perhaps.

Yeah , i've got all the Zep albums on vinyl twice (one for a back up copy) and they piss all over CD versions , because when an album is tranferred from vinyl from to CD it loses some of the top and bottom frequencys in the wave form , so with vinyl you get the true sound , how it was recorded in the studio , it's very warm and organic ...and on a good deck and stylus .....Awesome !!

If you want to hear Zep at their Best , get Vinyl ............there is simply nothing better !

I ordered Mothership and TSRTS on vinyl from this dealer. Linkage

The release is pushed back until March but at this price point it's a bargain.

I took a few pics of some things I have before I packed. A friend from JPOL asked me to. Figure I will share with you guys also... :)

000_0672.jpg

000_0671.jpg

000_0670.jpg

000_0669.jpg

000_0665.jpg

[

The classic records were 200 grams I believe.

Oh, and quite good!

actually, I've seen two different pressings: first one was 180 gr (and no QUIEX-SVP sticker) and second one 200 gr with SVP sticker.

First pressing of the BBC session, was a 180 gr wonderful box, later with SVP sticker and 200 gr.

That's what I know.

I ordered Mothership and TSRTS on vinyl from this dealer. Linkage

The release is pushed back until March but at this price point it's a bargain.

I took a few pics of some things I have before I packed. A friend from JPOL asked me to. Figure I will share with you guys also... :)

000_0669.jpg

I think that the Remasters yellow box is really really cool and interesting! :thumbsup:

but I consider the double Stairway fold-out-blimp (cd & 7") the best memorabilia item ever!! :thumbsup:

I think that the Remasters yellow box is really really cool and interesting! :thumbsup:

but I consider the double Stairway fold-out-blimp (cd & 7") the best memorabilia item ever!! :thumbsup:

The yellow box is actually a wooden blimp. It's a numbered production and is kinda neat, yea. I have 2 of them lol.

The fold out Stairway set, I donno whats up with that. I got 20 of them sealed from a women in Germany for dirt cheap. Not sure how many were printed, but I see them once and a while on eBay from 50 to 100 a pop. Lets say I did very well. :D

Archived