Old Mill House, Windsow

Cactus

" Evelyn Waugh's son Aubrey..." or Auberon? Or is there indeed one called Aubrey? I thought he had just the one child. His second wife's father was called Aubrey ,though...I digress. Onwards!!

It was Auberon, second child and only son of Arthur Evelyn St. John Waugh & Laura.

Apparently he had some furnishings Jimmy wanted for Tower House but Auberon flatly refused to sell them to Jimmy. That's about all I have on this at the moment.

Apologies for the momentary lapse of memory.

I apologise for calling the RAF veteran a cranky old man. I'd be pleased to have him as a neighbour, if anyone will float me the $5 million I need to buy Old Mill House.

Meet me in Euston Station. I will be the donkey pulling The Virgin Train :) The 2.5mil sterling will be in me saddle bag eh?

Cheers,

donkey

Very cool. About the other structures on the property, I came across this local government doc from 2006 that mentions them: http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/meetings_060816...ntrol_panel.htm

I don't know if Pagey was the owner at the time, but apparently someone complained about repairs made to one or more of these outlying buildings.

This was what prompted me to start the thread.

I've searched Melbury Road on Google Earth and looked at what I think is Tower House (only one I could see with a turret). When I finally do get over to England, I intend to make a pilgrimage to Tower House (gawk puppy-like from the sidewalk, that is...;o)), and I'd very much like to visit some of Jimmy's other properties.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list, past & present?

I've searched Melbury Road on Google Earth and looked at what I think is Tower House (only one I could see with a turret). When I finally do get over to England, I intend to make a pilgrimage to Tower House (gawk puppy-like from the sidewalk, that is...;o)), and I'd very much like to visit some of Jimmy's other properties.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list, past & present?

If you look around on google the street next to Melbury rd, has Lord Leighton's home another artist of the time well worth a visit and open to the public... worth a visit.

Jimmy outbid David Bowie on Tower House in June 1973. This was during the break on the 1973 North American tour. I've heard Evelyn Waugh's son Aubrey refused to sell

Jimmy some of the furnishings but I haven't quite gotten a clear answer on that yet.

The original address was indeed 9 Melbury Road.

Coincidentally, Burges designed Cardiff Castle, which Jimmy attempted to tour in December 1972 while in town with Led Zeppelin. Unfortunately, when he knocked on the door he was informed it was closed for renovations. Jimmy did revisit Cardiff Castle

in May 2004 and lent a wardrobe to their Burgess exhibition in addition to commenting

on the William Burges book.

Unfortunately, I have yet to obtain a copy of the William Burges book published in 2004.

It's never too late for someone to send one along to me as a gift :lol:

I picked the guide up when we visited Cardiff Castle last August. An amazing place, and well worth several visits. Well, Steve you are not getting my single copy of it :D , but it's a small guide and there are only two pages on Tower House. Here they are via the magic of the interweb:

2354767058_c24a9c814c_o.jpg

2353936847_73f6c8042e_o.jpg

BTW, this may be mail ordered from:

Jarrold Publishing,

Healey House, Dene Road,

Andover, Hampshire, SP10 2AA UK

email: heritagesales@jarrold -publishing.co.uk

www.britguides.com

Also, since they didn't allow photography inside, I e-mailed the castle to ask if they had pictures of some of the details, such as the flocks of little painted birds and butterflies everywhere you looked, and was told a more substantial guide (for the castle) is planned for this June.

HTH.

I picked the guide up when we visited Cardiff Castle last August. An amazing place, and well worth several visits. Well, Steve you are not getting my single copy of it

Oh, yes Jarrold publishes some terrific books. I didn't have enough time to tour Cardiff

Castle when I was there. Another one of those places I must return one day. Is the

Burgess book of 2004 not a rather expensive hardcover edition? I believe it is.

Oh, yes Jarrold publishes some terrific books. I didn't have enough time to tour Cardiff

Castle when I was there. Another one of those places I must return one day. Is the

Burgess book of 2004 not a rather expensive hardcover edition? I believe it is.

No, it's a small guidebook. Honest. :) Here's the press release website from when it was published, with a picture of the author and Page holding it; that's the one I have:

http://www.cardiffcastle.com/present/press...es/20-05-04.htm

BURGES.jpg

If you want a rare, expensive, extremely dense and weighty text about Burges you might try tracking down "William Burges and the High Victorian Dream." Much (much much) more information but the pictures in this little guide book are better (being in color) and in fact I have to hand it to the curator, because he gets to the essence of Burges in 24 pages. (Fair warning, I borrowed the text book from the University of California and had to return it before I could get half way through. Tons of footnotes and asides, but, I did learn where Jimmy got the name for The Firm...)

I picked the guide up when we visited Cardiff Castle last August. An amazing place, and well worth several visits. Well, Steve you are not getting my single copy of it :D , but it's a small guide and there are only two pages on Tower House. Here they are via the magic of the interweb:

Also, since they didn't allow photography inside, I e-mailed the castle to ask if they had pictures of some of the details, such as the flocks of little painted birds and butterflies everywhere you looked, and was told a more substantial guide (for the castle) is planned for this June.

HTH.

So that's the William Burges book written by Matthew Williams?

I've already got that picture of Tower House looking from the Library towards the Drawing Room fireplace. I was hoping for some extra photos.

There is a website that has extra photos of Tower House but they're all black and white so you can't see the colour detail.

towerhousebed.jpg

towerhouseceiling.jpg

towerhouseguestbedroom.jpg

towerhousedrawing.jpg

Where the hell would you put the TV in that Drawing Room?? You've have to put the TV and stereo upstairs in the Amoury Room

Thanks for those.

Well, see, you don't have a TV in that house. You just drop some acid and wander around, it'd keep you entertained and enlightened for a good long time... B)

Forget the acid, for that matter.

Seriously though, being turned on to Burges is another thing I am grateful to Jimmy Page for. Before I saw his work I was like a lot of uneducated idjits born in the 20th century, I mistook engineering for architecture, and never understood the art of it. Amazing stuff.

Archived