Robert Plant's 80s Coca Cola Commercial

It's not so much the 80s Coca Cola commercial, because I think that I can live with that.

It's that sense of anxiety that at some point he may have made something similar to an unholy alliance with an east coast insurance company, the kind that takes premium and then cancels coverage when you get sick.

And that time difference always makes communication difficult because everyone is out to lunch or too busy when you need to talk to someone.

I guess that he is really hard to trust. You always have to remind yourself that after all it's just another show and he's just another performer.

We have to work and it's business as usual. After a while you just don't want to think about it anymore because it's too depressing. lol

What. In. The. Fuck. Are. You. Even. Talking. About?

Is anyone going to freak out if Robert Plant appears on American Idol - next to the judges who are drinking out of Coke cups? He looked pretty stunned at the Grammy awards, which tells me that Robert is not consciously pandering to the mainstream anymore, even if he gets sucked in sometimes. Wasn't Rock and Roll used to power a car ad?

Is anyone going to freak out if Robert Plant appears on American Idol - next to the judges who are drinking out of Coke cups? He looked pretty stunned at the Grammy awards, which tells me that Robert is not consciously pandering to the mainstream anymore, even if he gets sucked in sometimes. Wasn't Rock and Roll used to power a car ad?

I think he was stunned at the Grammy Awards having captured all five categories they were nominated for. Rock and Roll was used for a Cadillac commercial.

Robert Plant interview extract with The Music Paper 10/90:

TMP: Have you gotten enough crap about that one? (Tall Cool One/Coca-Cola commercial)

Plant: Yeah, but I wanted to get in the guys at the ball games. It was a calculated effort to broaden my audience... At the time I thought I'd catch all those guys who used to go see Zep and are now fat and driving trucks and don't give a fuck because they're all chewing pretzels in a bar watching the LA Aztecs or whatever... OK, OK, I submit. What a jackoff idea. Unless it worked, I don't know.

TMP: You're allowed to make a mistake once in a while.

Plant: What would be the worst mistake?

TMP: You're asking me?

Plant: Uh huh.

TMP: I thought that was it.

Plant: No, the worst mistake would be to reform Zeppelin.

TMP: Well, I'm glad you brought the subject up. I wasn't going to. But I did want to ask how you feel about the things (Reunions) you've done so far.

Plant: I feel stupid.

TMP: When I saw the so-called Zep reunion for Atlantic's 40th Anniversary, you looked like you were thinking "Why am I doing this?"

Plant: That's exactly what I was thinking.

TMP: And I thought "You don't have to do this."

Plant: I get emotionally blackmailed into these situations. But being with Jimmy at Knebworth was great because it was with me and my band.

TMP: So, let's get it over with. In five words or less, look back and sum up the Led Zeppelin experience.

Plant: (Laughs) Well, it was a pretty remarkable experience that I don't miss one iota.

• 2 weeks later...

If Phil Collins was the ultimate dark lord in the music of the 80's his second in command was surely Dave Stewart.

Tons of thanks and praise for that sentence. I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. You're right too, about the both of them.

Archived