How Does Jimmy Play The Bow On The Guitar

TelecasterShaggy

Ive been a huge fan of Zeppelin ever since I picked up the guitar and I just bought a violin bow and I learned all of dazed and confused earier in my guitar career and now ive finally got a bow and I know most of the part of the recorded version but during the freakouts i have no clue. Does anyof u guys have any pointers you could give me. I ve watched TSRTS and picked up some stuff of it to.

Ive been a huge fan of Zeppelin ever since I picked up the guitar and I just bought a violin bow and I learned all of dazed and confused earier in my guitar career and now ive finally got a bow and I know most of the part of the recorded version but during the freakouts i have no clue. Does anyof u guys have any pointers you could give me. I ve watched TSRTS and picked up some stuff of it to.

Good luck with that! If you play it anything like Jimmy does, I suggest you stock up on violin bows!

This should be in the muso's thread but anyway.

You will need at least 2 things, rosin (which is put on the bow and can be bought where you got your bow). More importantly, you will need some effects. Delay is important through the really trippy parts of the violin bow solo.

I've got some basic tabs of the TSRTS violin which I wrote up, I will post it when I have time. At the beginning of the solo, he plays only the low-E string, just listen to it and play along. Then he goes up to the high-E.

There is a story about Page seeing a Whitesnake show on VHS and thinking how funny the imitation was - that was until the guitarist pulled out a violin bow, which made Page laugh so much he fell out of the bed.

The moral of the story is as Electrophile said - be careful. Lest you end up like Nigel from Spinal Tap - playing a violin solo.

I can't find the tabs I wrote for TSRTS solo but I will give you an idea from memory. It starts out

Low E -3-2-3-7-6-7--3-2-0--3-2-3-7-6-7-15-14-12--6-7-3-2-0-----

start from there.....

Also, doesn't Page use a cello bow, not a violin one?

That bit where he plays perfectly in time with the ECHO blows my mind every fucking time.

Yeah they are just power-chords, pretty simple but very effective.

There is a story about Page seeing a Whitesnake show on VHS and thinking how funny the imitation was - that was until the guitarist pulled out a violin bow, which made Page laugh so much he fell out of the bed.

The moral of the story is as Electrophile said - be careful. Lest you end up like Nigel from Spinal Tap - playing a violin solo.

I can't find the tabs I wrote for TSRTS solo but I will give you an idea from memory. It starts out

Low E -3-2-3-7-6-7--3-2-0--3-2-3-7-6-7-15-14-12--6-7-3-2-0-----

start from there.....

thanks man thats really awesome... the Echo/delay part is just power chords and ill write them down and post them tomarrow...

Yeah they are just power-chords, pretty simple but very effective.

Learn something new everyday, thanks.

Maybe becuase I'm not a musician, it strikes me that I'd get all messed up with the echo, in terms of the timing of the thing.

Learn something new everyday, thanks.

Maybe becuase I'm not a musician, it strikes me that I'd get all messed up with the echo, in terms of the timing of the thing.

Echo can be confusing, but in this particular instance you can't go wrong. Just hit the chord once and the echo takes care of the rest.

Echo can be confusing, but in this particular instance you can't go wrong. Just hit the chord once and the echo takes care of the rest.

Ah, I see. Well, simple but effective, as you say.

I got:

1. Rock In My Heart

2. Guitar

3. Bow and Rosin

4. Sweet Rockin Pedals

I wish Pagey would just log on and share his guitar magik with us all!!! But its still awesome whatchin him and wondering just how he does it.

If you don't have a Les Paul, it won't work well, unless is a Telecaster. On a Les Paul, between the pick-ups, it carved out into a U-shape. The strings are not close to the guitar. there is some space. thats what Page used because if the strings are too close, it wont work, except for a Telecaster. I am not sure why.

He plays it very well? I love to hear Page doing the bow things. Just awesome stuff. Now true, others did it before Page, but not nearly as well and with all the cool things. Page is just a ham and a true musician. I am sure he would have been good in a Greek theatre 300 years ago.

He plays it very well? I love to hear Page doing the bow things. Just awesome stuff. Now true, others did it before Page, but not nearly as well and with all the cool things. Page is just a ham and a true musician. I am sure he would have been good in a Greek theatre 300 years ago.

An ancient greek theatre 300 years ago? Or just a 1700s greek theater?

Or Live At The Greek?

Archived