Techie Thread...

Geralds Game

Sharing and helping about computer issues is much what the web is all about.

Our computers work, we work, the forum works.

Peeve?

Microsoft VISTA. I swear to god I'm buying an Apple very soon (notebook). This was the worst OS MS has ever dreamed up. It hogs memory, tosses drivers and has more compatibilty issues than anything. IMO MS 2000 Pro was the best thus far. Anyone with ideas on how to swap to a new OS?

Looking for a set of PC speakers. I can't see spending 250 USD on a set for the laptop. I'm thinking under 100. Any ideas?

Thumbs up on Vonage VOIP. They do sharing credits so you can get 2 months free too.

Cheers

:beer:

Swaps:

Oh yeah. I have a 512mb laptop memory card I'm not useing, make me an offer. It's practically new. My notebook is maxed.

Do you watch the podcasts of Cranky Geeks and Dl.tv. I find them very informative.

No sir! I've heard of podcasts and run into it mostly when editing with Cute FTP. I used too get a geek channel on my Satt dish.

Do you have a link to share? Almost forgot the memory card is DDR. It's less that a year old. I would love to swap it for music or collectables.

I am going with a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo. I will shop around though. What I like is the 4gb memory comes standard with it now. That's fast.

8340958.jpg

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Produ...de=18-6347331-2

I build all my desktops, laptops I don't.

http://dl.tv/

The last three episodes explain how to overclock a PC. other than that. the show been lame for the last two months

http://www.crankygeeks.com/

Its a bunch of journalist sitting around and talking tech stuff. Mostly it's about business deals, but they do get into some very good stories about silicone valley. You should like this one.

Is the cable cahnnel you are talking about called G4 or techtv

http://dl.tv/

The last three episodes explain how to overclock a PC. other than that. the show been lame for the last two months

http://www.crankygeeks.com/

Its a bunch of journalist sitting around and talking tech stuff. Mostly it's about business deals, but they do get into some very good stories about silicone valley. You should like this one.

Is the cable cahnnel you are talking about called G4 or techtv

Yes sir. It used to be called TechTV. This was back when I had a Dish Network Dish. The first two years was really cool, then it just went to all games and adverts and wasn't worth a fart in a breeze.

I have overclocked. Be very careful, and it may be a good idea to add a small fan when you do. In general processors are clocked up pretty good, well besides some of the AMD Durons that is.

Add small fan and a light nice heat sink if you overclock to avoid over heating :-)

Thank you for the links Pb/

<edited>

Oh yeah. My advice on over clocking is don't do it unless your very very good with repairs and PC's. If you go more than what the board was designed to handle your gonna get a blank screen. Thus you will be playing a pin and needle game of what will and wont work.

Add memory or a faster processor if you can, save yourself a mess lol. On this you can trust.

:beer:

My new MacBook arrived via FedEx just yesterday! I was so tired of Windows, and my 14-month-old IBM laptop took a dive on me last week. Just 2 months out of warranty, and kaput! It ran Windows Vista, and I CONSTANTLY was rebooting due to the constant freezing up, locking up, etc. Stuff took forever to load, it clocked indefinitely, froze up all the time, etc.

So this is the 2nd day of my Mac switch, and so far so good. This thing is smooth and FAST. I got the 13.3" MacBook, with the 2.4GHZ DuoCore, and 2GB of RAM. Me likey so far!!

My new MacBook arrived via FedEx just yesterday! I was so tired of Windows, and my 14-month-old IBM laptop took a dive on me last week. Just 2 months out of warranty, and kaput! It ran Windows Vista, and I CONSTANTLY was rebooting due to the constant freezing up, locking up, etc. Stuff took forever to load, it clocked indefinitely, froze up all the time, etc.

So this is the 2nd day of my Mac switch, and so far so good. This thing is smooth and FAST. I got the 13.3" MacBook, with the 2.4GHZ DuoCore, and 2GB of RAM. Me likey so far!!

VISTA was the stupidest OS MS has ever made. I tried partitioning to add another OS into another partition, even that wont wash. What a freaking mess, all other versions I know of would accept another OS into a new partition, sigh. The only reason this one still runs is because I keep up with it.

Let me know all the cool things on the Mac Matt.

I'm still using xp media center addition. My brother has a laptop with vista and after the last update he had a problem with a driver for ATI video card. He had to reformat the whole os. :(

How one OS can suck up so many resources just baffles the heck outta me. It always needs tending to, like a huge baby with a huge waste my time sucking sound.

I am looking for a work around to make it think I don't have VISTA running.

I will load up XP.

That Mac will sure look sweet after VISTA LMAO.

Hiya Doc/

Please solve my problems

I have an Emachine AMD anthlon 64 proccesor+3400 2.39Ghz 1gb of ram running XP

Problems i have

1. The fans would kick up on full blast for no reason but the cpu usage is normal (10%)

is this cause for concern.

2. somtimes after turning off all programs cpu usage would be at 80%? and reamin thier for a long time.

3. No sound or no video would play, somtimes for no reason. videos on you tube would load buy will only play 3 sec at a time with no sound.

All of the above problems get fixed as soon as i put the cpu in standby mode for a sec. when i wake it up, everthing is fine.

4. When i first go the thing, Itunes would rip a cd at 20x speed, now ill be lucky to get 10x for a while i would get only 4.6x. what will cause it. a full lenth DVD takes a 1hour to burn at 8x. is this normal.

anybody suggest anything.

I recently got Vista Home Premium. It came with my new computer that I got last month.

My last computer ran XP.

I loved XP. I knew XP like the back of my hand.

XP wasn't all the different from previous versions of Windows though. Vista is a huge difference. Much more powerful.

Vista takes awhile to get used to.

I don't hate Vista, but I don't love it either. Not yet anyway. I reserve my judgement until I know Vista better.

I've had compatibility issues, but had them all resolved right away.

The hardest one to resolve was with my printer. I went through pages and pages of "404 Page not found" and white pages from both Microsoft and HP (my printer brand) but after digging around awhile, I found the drivers. All in all, it didn't take that long.

I think if you don't want to learn something new, then don't get Vista. If you like toying around with something new and explore the possibilities, try Vista.

You do routine maintainece and have antivirus installed right such as Mcaffee or Nortin right?

By maintainence, I mean Disc cleanup, check disc, defrag, clean prefetch files.

Free antivirus is not as good as the paid kind. This day and age, everyone should have a paid antivirus up and running and updated on every computer.

You also dump your internet cookies and temp files too right?

PC Pitstop

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Give those a whirl, restart your computer.

Please solve my problems

Problems i have

1. The fans would kick up on full blast for no reason but the cpu usage is normal (10%)

The fan turning on is normal. Try cleaning the dust bunnies from the fan area and do this from time to time.

I had an Emachine years ago and the fan was always going. Was like sitting next to a 747 all the time, but it was a good computer. It lasted me 7 years or constant usage.

2. somtimes after turning off all programs cpu usage would be at 80%? and reamin thier for a long time.

3. No sound or no video would play, somtimes for no reason. videos on you tube would load buy will only play 3 sec at a time with no sound.

Soundcard giving out maybe? Need to update drivers maybe?

All of the above problems get fixed as soon as i put the cpu in standby mode for a sec. when i wake it up, everthing is fine.

4. When i first go the thing, Itunes would rip a cd at 20x speed, now ill be lucky to get 10x for a while i would get only 4.6x. what will cause it. a full lenth DVD takes a 1hour to burn at 8x. is this normal.

Have you checked your burn settings? Have they changed?

Another possibility is that your CD/DVD burner is giving out.

You do routine maintainece and have antivirus installed right such as Mcaffee or Nortin right?

By maintainence, I mean Disc cleanup, check disc, defrag, clean prefetch files.

Free antivirus is not as good as the paid kind. This day and age, everyone should have a paid antivirus up and running and updated on every computer.

You also dump your internet cookies and temp files too right?

PC Pitstop

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Give those a whirl, restart your computer.

Yes i run Crap cleaner and one of three anti virus software a day and a spyware scan every other day. Just the other day i cleaned out the computer i it did get better, but i didn't notice it until now. All my burn settings are set to max. I thought maybe sombody else ran in to this and knew the exact problem. non of these really bother me, i just wanna take a shot in the dark.

The whole computer industry is a scam - it's so obvious, why isn't something being done about it? The companies that make anti virus products pay the hackers and spammers to create the problems in the first place. Now there's some "geek squad" service that will come in a cute little car, and charge more than a surgeon to fix the problems. Now you've let "them" infiltrate your house - the whole place will be bugged!

Inside baseball

Hardware

Dodeca-core: The Megahertz Race is Now Officially the Multi-core Race

Kristopher Kubicki (Blog) - April 17, 2008 6:51 PM

-

CampusFind.com

AMD engineers reveal details about the company's upcoming 45nm processor roadmap, including plans for 12-core processors

"Shanghai! Shanghai!" the reporters cry during the AMD's financial analyst day today. Despite the fact that the company will lay off nearly 5% of its work force this week, followed by another 5% next month, most employees interviewed by DailyTech continue to convey an optimistic outlook.

The next major milestone for the CPU engineers comes late this year, with the debut of 45nm Shanghai. Shanghai, for all intents and purposes, is nearly identical to the B3 stepping of Socket 1207 Opteron (Barcelona) shipping today. However, where as Barcelona had its HyperTransport 3.0 clock generator fused off, Shanghai will once again attempt to get HT3.0 right.

Original roadmaps anticipated that HT3.0 would be used for socket-to-socket communication, but also for communication to the Southbridge controllers. Motherboard manufacturers have confirmed that this is no longer the case, and that HT3.0 will only be used for inter-CPU communication.

"Don't be disappointed, AMD is making up for it," hints one engineer. Further conversations revealed that inter-CPU communication is going to be a big deal with the 45nm refresh. The first breadcrumb comes with a new "native six-core" Shanghai derivative, currently codenamed Istanbul. This processor is clearly targeted at Intel's recently announced six-core, 45nm Dunnington processor.

But sextuple-core processors have been done, or at least we'll see the first ones this year. The real neat stuff comes a few months after, where AMD will finally ditch the "native-core" rhetoric. Two separate reports sent to DailyTech from AMD partners indicate that Shanghai and its derivatives will also get twin-die per package treatment.

AMD planned twin-die configurations as far back as the K8 architecture, though abandoned those efforts. The company never explained why those processors were nixed, but just weeks later "native quad-core" became a major marketing campaign for AMD in anticipation of Barcelona.

A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.

The rabbit hole gets deeper. Since each of these processors will contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel memory controller on the same socket. This move is likely a preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory controller.

Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards. However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest 1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0 frequencies.

Shanghai is currently taped out and running Windows at AMD.

Please solve my problems

Problems i have

And Emachine PC is about as cheap as you can go, unless your looking to buy one and do some reformatting and installations.

1. How old is it?

2. Have you ever thought about saving all your files and reformatting?

3. I would say clean files, if it's old and never been reformatted......reformat it. HOWEVER save all your files, save all places your connected to. WRITE THEM DOWN or put on a floppy of flash disc first. Then take 3 aspirins and call me in the A.M.

Used to own an emachine, someone brought it to me for repair, after I repaired it they decided to upgrade to a new pc like my first suggestion was. Fortunately I didn't lose money either way.

Archived