Tape speed manipulation.

I've read where Page says that the tape speed of No Quarter from HOTH was slowed down to thicken up the sound and give it a more dramatic effect. Seems to me that the vocals were sped up on TSRTS as well as on Four Sticks.

Anyone know of other Zep songs that may have had tape speed manipulated?

It's all supposition. Pagey has been cagey about those things. Yes, clearly No Quarter was dropped down, but the bigger mysteries lie in When The Levee Breaks and The Song Remains the Same. I believe there was some manipulation there, but only for effect. I think they may have slowed TSRTS down when Plant did his vocs, giving it a higher timbre. Then again, Page tuned to an open G for the Rain Song which live was in open A. Bron-Yr-Stomp is certainly sped up. But as I see it, it was just a small handful of songs that got "Varispeeded". A very small handful.

It's all supposition. Pagey has been cagey about those things. Yes, clearly No Quarter was dropped down, but the bigger mysteries lie in When The Levee Breaks and The Song Remains the Same. I believe there was some manipulation there, but only for effect. I think they may have slowed TSRTS down when Plant did his vocs, giving it a higher timbre. Then again, Page tuned to an open G for the Rain Song which live was in open A. Bron-Yr-Stomp is certainly sped up. But as I see it, it was just a small handful of songs that got "Varispeeded". A very small handful.

Thanks for taking something that a lot of us already knew and giving us more information and perspective on it. I surely did not know about the tunings in studio vs. live. Thanks Ev!

Its not always a matter of just slowing it up or down. he might of played around with the speed while recording different takes to bring out differnt tonal qualities. And then in the mix slow the whole thing down or up a little. so theoretically a weird open tuning recorded at one speed then played back at normal speed...then in the mix yet another speed... leaves four questions

1. original tuning

2. speed at which band was tuned

3. speed at which individual part was recorded

4. speed at which was played back at mix print

the question remains, and Evester probably knows the awnser, which tracks were played after it was slowed down. The drums on Levee were played normally on to tape then slowed to make them sound deeper, then the band recorded their parts at the slow speed. Or was the tape recording fast while they recorded bonzo and then slowed down to normal speed?

standard tape speed. 7.5

15 ips

30 ips

60ips tops only on certain machines

what i like to do is print the reverb at faster speeds and then slow them down to 30 to record normally.

Magnetic tape offers a harmonic distortion that tweeks with the tonal qualities in strange ways at differring harmonic intervals. Getting them to sound cool when the tape is playd back at normal speed is the trick. Tuning becomes insane. ad to that if you have an organ or piano that cant change pitch. I makes it easy to varispeed the machine in such a way as to use it as a transposing machine to help facilitate a key for the vocals or keybourds or wacky tuned guitar.

They slowed the master track down for "When the Levee Breaks". If you listen to the alternate versions they are full band takes just slightly faster.

I've always wondered if the Heartbreaker solo is sped up. It never sounded quite right live.

The Heartbreaker solo was cut at a different time than the rest of the song. The guitar is just slightly out of tune with the rest of the song. Similar to the way Moby Dick was cut. They cut the main song and the drum solo separately.

I've always wondered if the Heartbreaker solo is sped up. It never sounded quite right live.

jimmy has said that his guitar during the solo spot was slightly out of tune (a bit higher)

You have to remember that II was cut and pieced together

Archived