lyrics

does anyone know of any interview(s) with any of the band where they actually answer questions about who wrote which lyrics? im not looking for anecdotes or supposition here, actual words from the guys. thanks in advance.

Robert Plant wrote all of his own lyrics after Led Zeppelin1. He wrote some lyrics on that album too but couldn't be credited due to previous contractual obligations. Jimmy Page didn't mind not having to write lyrics at all anyway.....

Robert Plant wrote all of his own lyrics after Led Zeppelin1. He wrote some lyrics on that album too but couldn't be credited due to previous contractual obligations. Jimmy Page didn't mind not having to write lyrics at all anyway.....

thanks pop. yes ive heard that before, but have you heard that said by any in the band? cole says in his book that jimmy wrote the lyrics to kashmir. i know his book isnt gospel, though ( far from it! ). if you saw that in an interview, could please quote the source? thanks.

does anyone know of any interview(s) with any of the band where they actually answer questions about who wrote which lyrics? im not looking for anecdotes or supposition here, actual words from the guys. thanks in advance.
Good question slave to,I'll be interested to hear of the outcome,may even do a little searching myself.

Yes, I've read Jimmy saying just that-he was happy when Robert took over the lyrics after album #1. Robert has spoken many times about 'his' lyrics. I don't have any direct sources at the moment but I'll take a look when I have some time. (by then someone else will probably have quotes up here anyway) B)

I would say that Robert wrote all the lyrics to Kashmir and some of Tangerine. Tangerine was a song Jimmy did with the Yardbirds but never having heard it I can only guess that the Zeppelin version is somewhat different and that Plant probably added or changed at least some of the lyrics.

Most likely others here have more knowledge.....

• 2 weeks later...

as far as tangerine goes, the yardbirds version has little to no lyrics in common. the musical arrangement was tweaked and someone (im guessing robert) added lyrics.

also, i heard that robert didnt take full exclusive lyric control untill led zeppelin III. i think I was jimmy, II was a collaboration, and III was almost all robert. dont ask for sources, this is just what ive heard and could be false. it sort of makes sense tho, because the biggest change in the group is from II to III

EV, thats interesting.

Its been quite a while since I gave the Yardbirds tune a listen, but if memory serves me it sounds nothing like Zeppelin's version. I know the guitar is alot the same, but as far as lyrics, what I remember couldn't be further from being the same.

thanks for that, but how do you know?

peep's quoting 'hammer of the gods' as a source, which stated that 'thank you' was the first written lyric in robert's notebook. questionable, but possible...

peep's quoting 'hammer of the gods' as a source, which stated that 'thank you' was the first written lyric in robert's notebook. questionable, but possible...

thankyou! i havent read that book. do i really need to? everyone says its just like coles book........

Archived