Vinyl goes from throwback to comeback

Jahfin

This is cute and all but in the era of ipod portability, vinyl are just for the chic, poseurs, or generally the un-pragmatic among us (youngsters).

Yeah, that's why I want to listen to vinyl, because I constantly worry about what everyone things of me and because I am a youngster. :rolleyes:

I listen to vinyl because I like the way it sounds. I'm not out to impress anyone or show anyone up. It's about the music and how it sounds, not how people think of me. I'm may be young, but that doesn't mean anything. Vinyl is for anyone who wants to listen to, my grandma listens to vinyl and so does my dad along with all sorts of "older" people I know so I guess that ruins your theory.

Yeah, that's why I want to listen to vinyl, because I constantly worry about what everyone things of me and because I am a youngster. :rolleyes:

I listen to vinyl because I like the way it sounds. I'm not out to impress anyone or show anyone up. It's about the music and how it sounds, not how people think of me. I'm may be young, but that doesn't mean anything. Vinyl is for anyone who wants to listen to, my grandma listens to vinyl and so does my dad along with all sorts of "older" people I know so I guess that ruins your theory.

My son is the same way. He is actually somewhat of a non-conformist and he's never cared to be part of what is trendy. He's a college student who plays part-time in a band and he knows and loves music. He said that he definitely notices a difference in the sound of vinyl and, when he's able, will choose to listen to vinyl.

Here is an article from the NYT from last year. I love the description of the sound of vinyl being "warm" - I feel that too:

Music

That Warm Sound of Old in a Cold, Compressed World

By ROY FURCHGOTT

Published: June 5, 2007

Software and hardware are available that try to sweeten digital sound by putting back what compression has taken out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/technolo...xprod=permalink

There is absolutely no choice as there are no record stores here at all, just the big boxes. I have to travel to other cities to find a record store, period. Even then, they are few and far between. However I do know of a least a few places in the Triangle area of NC that stock a large amount of used vinyl.

I'm moving to Greensboro in 2 weeks......could you give me the names of these places? I would love to get more vinyl to add to my collection without buying them online.

I'm moving to Greensboro in 2 weeks......could you give me the names of these places? I would love to get more vinyl to add to my collection without buying them online.

You might actually find something closer to Greensboro but the stores I was referring to are Nice Price in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. They also stock tons of used books.

My son is the same way. He is actually somewhat of a non-conformist and he's never cared to be part of what is trendy. He's a college student who plays part-time in a band and he knows and loves music. He said that he definitely notices a difference in the sound of vinyl and, when he's able, will choose to listen to vinyl.

Ihave to agree, where I live I'm about as non conformist as they come. So it being "trendy" isn't really true here, but that's okay because I'm not much for trends.

This is cute and all but in the era of ipod portability, vinyl are just for the chic, poseurs, or generally the un-pragmatic among us (youngsters).

I disagree completely.

My ipod is portable, as you say. When I go out I take it with me - it's a no brainer.

But when I'm at home, sat in my living room, portablity doesn't count for anything. I want the best sound - and that's NEVER going to be mp3.

This isn't about being chic - I'm 42 & I've had some of my vinyl since I was a kid (& looked after it too). Some is even older, from my parents' colections. It nearly all still sounds as good as it ever did.

I'm not a luddite about it - I have plenty of music on CDs & I'm happy with them too: they're full range uncompressed recordings. Play 'em back on a good system & they can sound great. I buy new music on CD rather than go looking for limited release vinyl editions. As long as it's mixed & mastered right it'll sound good.

But my attic is full of storage boxes with hundreds of vinyl albums & I'm not in any hurry to replace them with any other format.

I listen to vinyl because over 90 % of my collection was bought or given to me before CDs existed. I'm not going to replace all that with CDs, because of the cost and warnings that CDs are on the way out. The records are mostly scratchy, so it's not a sound quality or trendy issue. So how is music going to be sold after CDs are outdated - only online? Technology is killing me...

Not a very accurate view of people who prefer vinyl to digital music.

With nowadays technology you can make any mp3 sound as "warmer" as you want.

Mp3s are the bane of the music listener and everyone from Lou Reed to Tom Waits have been doing their best to let the music industry know they don't want mp3s to become the standard.

With nowadays technology you can make any mp3 sound as "warmer" as you want.

No.

You can't.

MP3 is a "lossy" format. That means that the type of file compression literally looses data as the track is converted to mp3 - you do not end up with all of what you started with. This means a reduced quality & frequncy range. That means not all the sound that should be there is there.

Once the data is gone, it is gone for good. You cannot, for instance, burn an mp3 on to a CD & expect that the missing frequencies will magically come back, just because CDs are an uncompressed format - that isn't how it works. Gone means gone...

This isn't just a little thing that exists in the specifications but that only bats can hear - this is obvious stuff.

As an example, I downloaded a bunch of tunes from iTunes so that I could learn them for a gig. I was in a hurry & I wasn't bothered about the quality, I just needed to know how the tunes went. I burned them to CD & then while I was listening to them my wife walked in.

She had no idea what I was listening to, or that I'd downloaded anything, but within about a minute of coming in she asked me what was wrong with the CD because "it sounded wrong". She isn't a musician, isn't trained to listen, & wasn't even listening too carefully, but it was obvious to her that the mp3 tracks didn't sound like she expected music to sound.

I love my iPod & how much music I can carry about with me on it, but that's all about convenience.

Uncompressed audio, whether from vinyl, well mastered CD, FLAC files etc, will always sound better than compressed audio.

I have another example, I was out in the kitchen cleaning up from family poker night and had on my cd copy of Physical Graffiti. I always listen to the vinyl, but that night the cd was already there and so was the cd player, so it was easier and I was tired. My brother, who isn't much into music let alone how you listen to it, pointed out how dry and cold the cd sounded. There is a difference, and it comes from how things are made. CDs are hollow and vinyl isn't. Vinyl is also analog and cds are of coursde digital. There is a difference and you can hear it.

People have been arguing about vinyl vs CD's since the later were introduced (google vinyl vs CD). What some people hear as warmth or whatever others hear as noise, it comes down to personal opinion in the end.

As far as compression goes this test has some interesting info about formats, codex's, bit rates etc, not all are equal.

They conclude;

"Judging from our tests, we think most people will find music compressed at higher bit rates indistinguishable from the original versions. Music fans will probably find even moderately compressed songs acceptable, especially if the compression means they can fit more tracks onto a portable player"

How do i tick 'yes' to all of the above?

Speaking just for myself, I still have a vast collection of vinyl, one I've been adding to since I was just a child. CDs were introduced as some sort of indestructible, superior format when in fact, they're not. Yes, much has been done to improve the sound quality of CDs since they were first introduced but in no way are they "indestructible". Hell, they may even more delicate than vinyl. Then comes the digital age. Anyone with any knowledge of the mp3 format can tell you they are also not superior to CDs or vinyl, yet they are quickly becoming the most sought after format because the industry is driven by what the casual listener wants, not the avid music listener that knows mp3s are shit. So, once compact discs have disappeared from the shelves and all we are left with are compressed files what do you think I'm going to go with it? Vinyl. It doesn't have a fucking thing to do with trendiness but it does have everything to do with sound quality.

People have been arguing about vinyl vs CD's since the later were introduced (google vinyl vs CD). What some people hear as warmth or whatever others hear as noise, it comes down to personal opinion in the end.

As far as compression goes this test has some interesting info about formats, codex's, bit rates etc, not all are equal.

They conclude;

"Judging from our tests, we think most people will find music compressed at higher bit rates indistinguishable from the original versions. Music fans will probably find even moderately compressed songs acceptable, especially if the compression means they can fit more tracks onto a portable player"

Yep, that argument has been going on a long time. It is all about what sounds better to the individual.

Same with stereo equipment. The thing I miss most about vinyl LP's are the covers themselves. It was great fun openning a new album and checking out all the info that was written down on the liner.

A completely different experience to CD. Hell, I didn't need to wear reading glasses to see the credits :D

Speaking just for myself, I still have a vast collection of vinyl, one I've been adding to since I was just a child. CDs were introduced as some sort of indestructible, superior format when in fact, they're not. Yes, much has been done to improve the sound quality of CDs since they were first introduced but in no way are they "indestructible". Hell, they may even more delicate than vinyl. Then comes the digital age. Anyone with any knowledge of the mp3 format can tell you they are also not superior to CDs or vinyl, yet they are quickly becoming the most sought after format because the industry is driven by what the casual listener wants, not the avid music listener that knows mp3s are shit. So, once compact discs have disappeared from the shelves and all we are left with are compressed files what do you think I'm going to go with it? Vinyl. It doesn't have a fucking thing to do with trendiness but it does have everything to do with sound quality.

I don't think I could've said it better myself.

I'd really like to know - what is the proposed method of buying music that will soon replace CDs? If it's MP3 or online or whatever, will music stores be obsolete?

I have no idea what the industry standard will become but if that decision is reached by going by what the average casual listener wants, it will indeed be mpg3s. It is just that very mindset that caused Lou Reed to rail against the prevalence of mpg3s during his keynote speech at SXSW earlier this year.

As for music stores becoming obsolete. Not to be a smartass but have you not seen the many, many articles that have been posted here about the rash of record store closings in recent years?

I have no idea what the industry standard will become but if that decision is reached by going by what the average casual listener wants, it will indeed be mpg3s. It is just that very mindset that caused Lou Reed to rail against the prevalence of mpg3s during his keynote speech at SXSW earlier this year.

As for music stores becoming obsolete. Not to be a smartass but have you not seen the many, many articles that have been posted here about the rash of record store closings in recent years?

I think I even posted some personal experiences in those threads, but I don't remember the answer to my question being very clear there, either. If MP3s are available online, electronically - there will be no physical media for the music, no package, cover art, credits, lyrics, etc? Glad I still got a frisbee or two, for rollin' "fatties".