BBQ Specialities

moffo

Your in NYC(???)

I think you need a "Road Trip!!!" :D

KB

I certainly don't need a road trip, to get good food. That trip to the city was something I reluctantly went with - and we paid through the nose to get treated like crap. I live on the south shore of Long Island - abundant with good restaurants, and with a respectful attitude. And my cooking skills, although self taught, are quite ahead of the pack. Glad to see others here that also take interest and pride in these things!

Hi all,

I certainly don't need a road trip, to get good food. That trip to the city was something I reluctantly went with - and we paid through the nose to get treated like crap. I live on the south shore of Long Island - abundant with good restaurants, and with a respectful attitude. And my cooking skills, although self taught, are quite ahead of the pack. Glad to see others here that also take interest and pride in these things!

Well,you did take a short one and got short changed.So, if it's s good around your area,why drive to Gotham for kick in the chops,er,...so to speak,... :huh:

Shoot,I was only extending an invite if you ever were in the area.

KB (baked,broiled, or fried, sir?)

Hi all,

Well,you did take a short one and got short changed.So, if it's s good around your area,why drive to Gotham for kick in the chops,er,...so to speak,... :huh:

Shoot,I was only extending an invite if you ever were in the area.

KB (baked,broiled, or fried, sir?)

I don't usually click on links in forums - take no offense. I went back to yours, though -and it looks excellent! I just have a problem with the city vibe. We were there to watch a Broadway play, that particular restaurant was supposed to be the icing on the cake. We should have left without paying, or told the manager off - but I restrained myself.

Let's get back to cooking!

I grill all year long. I don't think meat was meant to be fried in a pan or baked in an oven.

I grill in rain, sleet or snow! :cheer:

Oh yeah, and chicken teryiaki burgers are sooo good! drool-1.gif

Me too bro :D ....sometimes cooking steaks in a five alarm heated grill when it's 25 below zero is the best...I did learn hot to cook a tremendous porterhouse in a pan. never thought it would work but I tried it and it tasted just like it was cooked in a broiler from a steak house. amazing...

my biggest tip for red meats is room tempature. never throw a cold steak or brisket or roast on the grill cold.

If I'm forced to use anything that's prepared (not made from scratch), I do go with Bubba burgers (with vidallia onions) or Stubb's moppin' sauce. But most sauces have too much vinegar or obnoxious spices. A marinate should have vinegar or a similiar tenderizer, but minimally within the final sauce. Anything like A1 put on the cooked product is a tragedy, to me...

Dude I love that Stubbs moppin sauce. I poor the whole bottle over my thick pork chops and simmer them in my cast iron skillet until they are falling apart. fry up some taters and some apple sauce....yummy

Now that we're in North Carolina, we're wanting to try some good Carolina barbecue. Any North Carolina residents here (I know of 3) know where to get some good BBQ in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area?

I don't know if there are any Smithfields out that way.It's a chain restaurant but it's not too bad.I've gotten some good BBQ sandwiches there!

Does anyone grill lobster tail? I am dying for some. I love grilled asparagus. My brother in law does all the grilling and just makes the basics, hamburgers, hotdogs, steak and chicken. I want grilled seafood!

Seafood isn't my specialty, but I did try a couple of those baby lobster tails on the grill. I cut the underside with poultry shears, to expose the meat, then laid them on their backs over medium heat. Carefully pour melted butter into the sliced open part, while they're cooking, a few times - being careful not to overflow the tails with it (to avoid flare-up problems). They don't take long - 8 minutes, tops. Keep more melted butter on the side for dipping, after cooking.

Also, striped bass is awesome on the grill - with melted butter, garlic, and oregano. A little Emeril's essence is a nice spicy touch, too...

Dude I love that Stubbs moppin sauce. I poor the whole bottle over my thick pork chops and simmer them in my cast iron skillet until they are falling apart. fry up some taters and some apple sauce....yummy

Allow me to quote from the bottle's label:

"Ladies and Gentleman, I am a cook!"

Does anyone grill lobster tail? I am dying for some. I love grilled asparagus. My brother in law does all the grilling and just makes the basics, hamburgers, hotdogs, steak and chicken. I want grilled seafood!

You can grill sword fish or shark very nicely. However IMO and this is my opine. Lobster and crab legs are best cooked steamed, second best boiled. Then if you like you can toss a light braise on them.

You can grill sword fish or shark very nicely. However IMO and this is my opine. Lobster and crab legs are best cooked steamed, second best boiled. Then if you like you can toss a light braise on them.

I'll second that! And I'd like seconds, too!!!

I'll second that! And I'd like seconds, too!!!

You bring the wine and your on :) I think tang likes beer I dunno.

Awww fuck it, bring a spliff and your set...

ZoSoD and I just cooked some fresh salmon on the grill.Wow!!!That was so damn good.We'll be doing that again :D

I love salmon on the BBQ.I'm from the west coast of Canada and when the sockeye is in season

it's unreal.Have you tried it done on a cedar plank?

Any of Bobby Flay's recipes.

CBS Grilled Corn

Perfectly Grilled Corn

Serves: 4

8 ears corn

Kosher salt

1. Heat the grill to medium.

2. Pull the outer husks down the ear to the base. Strip away the silk from each ear of corn by hand. Fold husks back into place and tie the ends together with kitchen string. Place the ears of corn in a large bowl of cold water with 1 tablespoon of salt for 10 minutes.

3. Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, or until kernels are tender when pierced with a paring knife. Remove the husks and eat on the cob.

Basil Butter

2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened

½ cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves

2 teaspoons kosher salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine the butter, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl. Can be prepared 4 hours in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Red Chile Butter

2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened

2 tablespoons ancho, pasilla or New Mexico Red chile powder

2 teaspoons Spanish paprika

2 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons kosher salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine the butter, chile powder, paprika, honey, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl. Can be prepared 8 hours in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Perfectly Grilled Corn with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Cotija Cheese & Lime

Serves: 4

1 recipe Perfectly Grilled Corn (recipe above)

1 ½ cups prepared mayonnaise

1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, chopped

2 chipotle chiles in adobo (if you like it spicier, you can add 3)

2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

2 teaspoons honey

Salt

2 cups grated Cotija or Romano cheese

Lime wedges

1.Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, chipotle, lime juice, honey and salt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.

2. Spread the cheese evenly on a plate. Remove the husks from the grilled corn, brush the corn with the mayonnaise, roll in the cheese to coat the entire surface and squeeze with some lime juice. Serve immediately.

www.bobbyflay.com

I bought a book by BBQ guru Steve Raichlen and my BBQ improved dramatically. Some of his recipes get complicated, but just some simple knowledge helped a lot. He grills EVERYTHING, shell fish included, plus fruit, veggies, shrimp and beer can chicken.

I just did one for my sister last weekend. I put the tail with some garlic butter in tin foil (wrapped like a patato-but with the top open)and put it on the grill for about 10 minutes. and she said it was the best she ever had. it was so simple.

Seafood isn't my specialty, but I did try a couple of those baby lobster tails on the grill. I cut the underside with poultry shears, to expose the meat, then laid them on their backs over medium heat. Carefully pour melted butter into the sliced open part, while they're cooking, a few times - being careful not to overflow the tails with it (to avoid flare-up problems). They don't take long - 8 minutes, tops. Keep more melted butter on the side for dipping, after cooking.

Also, striped bass is awesome on the grill - with melted butter, garlic, and oregano. A little Emeril's essence is a nice spicy touch, too...

Oh that sounds so good. I had a friend offer to cook me a Lobster and Crab leg dinner soon. I can't wait.

I just did one for my sister last weekend. I put the tail with some garlic butter in tin foil (wrapped like a patato-but with the top open)and put it on the grill for about 10 minutes. and she said it was the best she ever had. it was so simple.

You are invited to cook me one this weekend...lol.

Here is the way I make BBQ ribs and brisket. first mix together a spice rub, I use Chili powder, paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt, pepper, oregano,and brown sugar, about two heaping Tbls of each except the salt use only one Tlbs. mix it together and set aside. I use baby back but you can use regular pork ribs if you want, they are less expensive, but have much more fat and the ribs come out too greasy for me. If you are making brisket, you can use already trimmed, if using untrimmed then just trim some of the fat off leaving a thin layer to help keep the meat tender. Place the brisket in a heavy roasting pan and using a big BBQ fork poke the whole thing very well. If making ribs dont do this. The rest of the recipe is the same for either one. Get yourself some liquid smoke, and sprinkle a little on rub it well into the meat, don't use too much it is very strong. Then do the same with the spice rub,using all of it. Place the meat fat side up. Cover with foil and put it in the fridge over night at least 8 hours. When your ready to cook them, preheat oven to 275 and bake uncovered for a minimum of 6 hours, or until fork tender, low and slow is the best way. That's why I use the oven, because I can control the heat better, but if your good at using an out door BBQ then go for it. When using the oven if you find the meat is burning on the outside before it is done then just cover with foil. If you like you can put some BBQ sauce on during the last 20 minutes or so. You can make your own sauce. 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup water, 2TLBS each of worcestershire, vinegar, brown sugar, or honey, granulated garlic and onion, chili powder and paprika, and a couple drops of liquid smoke.Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 min. When I make this I don't measure anything, I just do to my liking, but these are the main ingredients I use, You can use more or less of anything it just depends on what you like, just keep tasting it, some people like it more sweet, others like more vinegar, if you like it spicy you can add some hot sauce. Just be creative, there are no rules when it comes to BBQ sauce, and I always find it better than any bottled sauce.

Google... BBQ University. They have an awsome selection of recipes. Steven Raichlen is brilliant and he also hosts a TV show that airs on PBS. Carefull though, you'll be hungry all day after seeing it. B):)

Hi all,

You can grill anything.

JT,you know where you put the beer can,right? :D

KB

Yes, but what are you trying to tell me?

BTW, I grilled some burgers and corn today. The key to a good grilled burger is high fat content. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

One method of grilling lobster is placing the whole lobster on a bed of seaweed and letting the resulting steam cook the lobster. This is how it is done during a clam bake.

Archived