BBQ Specialities

moffo

You didn't pour Franks hot sauce all over that fine looking steak did you? :o

Grilled halibut sounds intriguing :D

The Franks Red Hot went on the spuds.

I did use a little horseradish on the steak though.Didn't make the photo.

Thanks for keeping me honest Rorer. :lol::beer:

The franks red hot sauce is good for chicken and fried fish, but only thing is, it gets addicting and then your not tasting it anymore. When your putting red hot sauce on chinese food, then its time to remember salt and pepper.

The Franks Red Hot went on the spuds.

I did use a little horseradish on the steak though.Didn't make the photo.

Thanks for keeping me honest Rorer. :lol::beer:

Haha,I'm kind of partial to Texas Pete it's about the same as Franks.

Just as long as you didn't kill it with hot sauce...though horseradish sounds like it might take away some of the flavor too B) That should be used for roast don't ya think? :D

My dad makes a kick-ass grilled chicken breast. He marinates it overnight in lemon-pepper, lemon juice and olive oil and then throws it on the grill. Very simple, but very tasty.

Another thing he makes great is fish. You name it, he'll grill it. I love grilled salmon with some grilled peppers and onions. Now that's a meal.

The key to cooking fish in gneral, is to not over cook it.

I cooked some awsome tuna steaks on the grill a few weeks back.They are very good rare with a bit of wasabi.

I've also cooked fresh caught,(that I caught) dolphin,mahi mahi,not the Flipper variety on the grill that melts in your mouth....I already ate and this is making me hungry :rolleyes:

For Chicken/Shrimp kabobs..

gotta get Bubba's Moppin' Sauce.

Once you go Bubba, you won't want anutha.

If I'm forced to use anything that's prepared (not made from scratch), I do go with Bubba burgers (with vidallia onions) or Stubb's moppin' sauce. But most sauces have too much vinegar or obnoxious spices. A marinate should have vinegar or a similiar tenderizer, but minimally within the final sauce. Anything like A1 put on the cooked product is a tragedy, to me...

I looked for a good recipe of Brazilian BBQ, called Churrasco. This one seems to be OK, though it has little to do with tradtional Churrasco. Of course you can use another beer, no need to be Brahma beer and the Chimichurri sause isn't Brazilian at all...it's used in Argentina and Uruguay. It's tasty, anyway and goes very well with BBQ.

Churrasco

Churrasco (pronounced Shoo-Has-Ko) is a Brazilian style BBQ which uses premium quality meats, which are slowly roasted, on long skewers, over a pit of flaming coals. This type of cooking is referred to as “Gaucho Style”, which originated in southern Brazil and was developed by the Early Cowboys who used traditional marinades and rubs that have been passed down through the generations.

This recipe has been developed by Jeremy Fowler, a long serving Chaîne Commandeur and Maitre Chef. In his international career, Jeremy has held positions as: Personal Chef to HRH Prince Bandar, The Saudi Ambassador to Washington; Executive Chef for the Sultan of Brunei. He is International Head Judge and Board Member of the World Barbecue Association.

Using the Chaîne theme, of spit roasting or grilling, this Brazilian recipe using Brahma beer for barbecuing or grilling, has been adapted so it is suitable for using at work or home.

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Marinade: 2 hours (minimum)

Cooking time: 15 minutes

Total time: 2 hour 25 minutes (min)

Serves: 4

Ingredients

1kg Beef Tenderloin – taken from centre cut

Salt and Pepper to taste, (smoked salt and cracked black pepper works extremely well)

Chimichurri sauce, (See below or use Branston hot chilli and Jalapeno relish which works extremely well)

1 large bunch of curly parsley – finely chopped

4 cloves of pasted garlic (with the salt and drop of the oil)

8 fl oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 fl oz White Vinegar

3 fl oz Brahma Brazilian Beer

Method

Combine ingredients with Chimichurri sauce, leaving some parsley back to cast over finished product.

Remove any silver skin from the meat, and with a very sharp knife cut the meat lengthways into the tenderloin to the depth of about ¼ inch.

Begin turning the knife to make a spiral- leaving ¼ inch outside of the knife. Continue slicing the layer until the centre of the joint is reached. (Like opening a ‘Jam Rolly Polly’. The meat should resemble a flat rectangle.

Infuse the meat into the blended marinade for at least two hours. Retain some marinade for basting.

Cut the meat into desired widths that can be accommodated on the desired size of skewer.

Thread the meat through the meat lengthways.

Grill on a very hot fire to desired doneness. (A slow fire with Tenderloin will dry the Churrasco, unlike less tender cuts of meat.) Continue basting with retained marinade throughout.

Season and serve with Chimichurri sauce and a dusting of the remaining parsley.

Chimichurri Sauce

You can chop the ingredients by hand or use a food processor, which is faster and easier. There are many variations on this condiment, and it is served with everything from empanadas to grilled steak.

1/2 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 clove garlic

2 finely chopped shallots

1 teaspoon minced basil, thyme or oregano, or mixture

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and let set for at least 2 hours before serving.

Sounds awesome! But quite a bit of olive oil - a whole bottle, almost?

Olive oil is an important ingredient in Brazilian food, because of the Portuguese and their Mediterranean influence. But of course there's no need to use so much olive oil, if it isn't what you're used to. :)

Olive oil is an important ingredient in Brazilian food, because of the Portuguese and their Mediterranean influence. But of course there's no need to use so much olive oil, if it isn't what you're used to. :)

No problem, just wondering how even half that amount stays on the meat?

Also "1 kg (2.2 lbs?) tenderloin" and "serves 4" might leave my 3 guests very hungry, after the cook takes his share? Gotta taste it before serving it, you know?

No problem, just wondering how even half that amount stays on the meat?

Also "1 kg (2.2 lbs?) tenderloin" and "serves 4" might leave my 3 guests very hungry, after the cook takes his share? Gotta taste it before serving it, you know?

:lol: :lol:

I didn't even notice that!

Guess you're right! Make it 3 kg and the same amount of olive oil.....maybe it works! :lol:

Really, I haven't tested this recipe myself, but BBQ or Churrascos is a traditional meal here in Brazil, I just wanted to give some kind of contribution to the thread. ^_^

I make my churrascos with charcoal, some of the meat is marinaded, some isn't, you just add salt (but not the fine one) to the meat just before you cook it. And there's always A LOT of meat for all my guests ;)

We did try a Brazialian BBQ place in NYC. The variety of meats and flovors was wonderful, and it was all you can eat - but the pressure from the servers to eat quickly was all wrong. They gave us each a coaster, that was green on one side, and red on the other. Green meant bring more, red meant no more, they told us. Unfortunately, there was no signal for "leave us be for 15 minutes", so red also meant "get out of here". That's rude, that's the city, and that's why I don't go there much...

I'm learning the simple stuff from -bobby flay on the food channel with grilling...salt/pepper and canola oil.

I dont think i could ever get into ten hours of cooking and tending...will look forward to a trip down south to truly enjoy the ole southern bbq.

If I'm forced to use anything that's prepared (not made from scratch), I do go with Bubba burgers (with vidallia onions) or Stubb's moppin' sauce.

I was quite drowsy when I typed this last night. I meant Stubb's Moppin' Sauce as well. Mix that with your chicken and shrimp and youre golden.

Hi all,

I make my churrascos with charcoal, some of the meat is marinaded, some isn't, you just add salt (but not the fine one) to the meat just before you cook it. And there's always A LOT of meat for all my guests ;)

At the Fire Bull:

Fire Bull

They use sea salt,they also throw some on after the carve some meat to seal it.You pay by weight at lunch,so it is all you can eat.Great owners,beautiful Brazilian women to bring you a drink or clear your table('natch! :D ) And no green/red coasters,.... :)

KB

And no green/red coasters,.... :)

KB

I don't know - is this normal at these places? The women at our table weren't into this speed eating thing, and had just ordered some very expensive deserts, instead. So us guys ordered some top shelf drinks. The idea was to relax - we had just come from a show, and were trying to enjoy the experience. Some fat ass smelly manager came over and offered that we retire to the (packed) bar, where we could finish after paying our bill. Naturally, the drinks we paid for never came, and the deserts went half eaten. The total bill was about $350.00, for 4 people!

Here's a side dish:

Grilled veggies

1/2 ea green and red (or yellow or orange) pepper, cut in 1/2" chunks

1/2 Vidalia onion in slices

1 small yellow squash, sliced

2 small zucchini, sliced in half moons

(optional: add similar amount of eggplant cut in same size pieces)

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with a few turns of olive oil. Rosemary flavored is great or you can use plain and toss on some fresh rosemary instead.

Cook in a grill pan on the grill stirring often, or in a disposable aluminum pan with holes poked in it, until the veggies are the way you like them.

You can use whatever proportions of whatever veggies you like and season to taste; there's really not much of a recipe actually.

Hi all,

I don't know - is this normal at these places? The women at our table weren't into this speed eating thing, and had just ordered some very expensive deserts, instead. So us guys ordered some top shelf drinks. The idea was to relax - we had just come from a show, and were trying to enjoy the experience. Some fat ass smelly manager came over and offered that we retire to the (packed) bar, where we could finish after paying our bill. Naturally, the drinks we paid for never came, and the deserts went half eaten. The total bill was about $350.00, for 4 people!

Your in NYC(???) The place I linked too is in Peabody,MA a few miles down the road,but maybe thousands of miles apart,...

Lunch is the best,pay by weight of your plate. Dinner is different,they bring the food to you,flat rate.

I think you need a "Road Trip!!!" :D

KB

Now that we're in North Carolina, we're wanting to try some good Carolina barbecue. Any North Carolina residents here (I know of 3) know where to get some good BBQ in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area?

I'm not familiar with BBQ in that area....I know of the best BBQ places on the coast, and there's a great resuarant in Kinston called King's that's really awesome...but that's not really that close to you either :lol: Sorry, that wasn't much help ;)

My favourite BBQ place is called The Bogue House....it's near the beaches in Emerald Isle, if you ever tour out there for a vacation, that would be THE place to go....

Archived