Hey Hey What Can I Do

I hear that a lot on the radio too. What station do you get? I'm from there too.

i live in biloxi, ms but...

i'm from duquoin. went to school at SIU-carbondale. twice. worked at WTAO in the early 80's when it was an underground (meaning they didn't sell much commercial time)FM AOR station. they were playing it in the 70's. so was KSHE 95 in st. louis (great station then) i moved to st.louis and then chicago in the 80's and 90's so i don't know what the station is there now. when i went back to school in 92 and moved back to carbondale, i think the glassmans had sold the station and it was being called the fox or something. what is the rock station now?

It was released on a 45. It's B-side of Immigrant Song and possibly on a jukebox one b-side of Whole Lotta Love, but not sure about the second one.

Did you have this? I could not find this single then, it really eluded me. So well done.

This is confusing. I know I heard that song on the radio at least 25 years ago, and probably before that. I had the 45 back then, so I don't know what was going on with that song being played some places but not others.

This is confusing. I know I heard that song on the radio at least 25 years ago, and probably before that. I had the 45 back then, so I don't know what was going on with that song being played some places but not others.

the radio business is radically different now than it was then.

the people who programmed a station ususally worked at the station back in the 60's and 70's (into the 80's). that meant that if there were any bumps (requests) for any song getting played it might get a schedule add. AOR (album oriented rock) meant just that-album cuts from a popular band could get played instead of the top 40. it was a groovy (yikes!) way to program a station. when the 80's came whimpering in, alot of AOR stations got switched to 'adult contemporary' which cut out the 'joni mitchell to black sabbath' spread of the music that could get played. the programming left the stations and were turned over to 'consultants' who didn't even live in the market.

so...

'hey, hey' could be played for 10 years in the midwest and not even get an add in the northeast. depends on the station programmer, whether or not a stoned dj had turned over a 45 to play a 'b' side, thus prompting listeners to call in with requests or feedback.

I don't know about a lot of AOR stations going AC but as someone with a background in radio I can say I witnessed a lot of former AOR stations tightening their formats in the 90s. There was also the rise of "Modern Rock" radio in the early 90s which featured new music so a lot of AOR stations switched to the dreaded "Classic Rock" format that cut out almost all new music unless it was by one of their core artists.

I don't know about a lot of AOR stations going AC but as someone with a background in radio I can say I witnessed a lot of former AOR stations tightening their formats in the 90s. There was also the rise of "Modern Rock" radio in the early 90s which featured new music so a lot of AOR stations switched to the dreaded "Classic Rock" format that cut out almost all new music unless it was by one of their core artists.

there were still AOR stations in the 90's? that broadcast over the air? okay...

(my 10 year background in radio ended in the 80's. i'm out of it. sorry..)

in my opinion, if the classic rock stations of today would play the new music of their core classic artists, classic rock radio would be a little more listenable....

there were still AOR stations in the 90's? that broadcast over the air? okay...

(my 10 year background in radio ended in the 80's. i'm out of it. sorry..)

There are still AOR stations now. When many of them switched over to the "Classic Rock" format the term used was "Heritage" AOR. In other words, they were stations that had been around for a long time but they tightened their playlists to the point where they weren't playing any new music (aside from the aforementioned core artists, if even that).

in my opinion, if the classic rock stations of today would play the new music of their core classic artists, classic rock radio would be a little more listenable....

That wouldn't even be enough to draw me back. I preferred when AOR not only played deep album tracks but also played all new rock n' roll music, not just new songs by the tried and true artists. In other words, I liked when AOR stations took a chance with new music. There's still some progressive stations out there (such as Seattle's KEXP) that take such risks but they are few and far between. I finally got fed up with commercial radio in general by the mid-90s and listened mainly to CDs and NPR. A few years ago I signed up for satellite radio. Wisest decision I've made in recent years.

Hi all,

Well the one in Boston does:WZLX,they call it yesterday&today,a classic song from an artist then a new one off a current album.They also do a three hour blues show on Sunday,Alice Cooper on his Saturday night show will also play the classics and what ever is new,.....

KB(Hey,hey!)

Hi all,

Well the one in Boston does:WZLX,they call it yesterday&today,a classic song from an artist then a new one off a current album.They also do a three hour blues show on Sunday,Alice Cooper on his Saturday night show will also play the classics and what ever is new,.....

KB(Hey,hey!)

'yesterday and today' is that a show or does the station do that throughout the entire format?

3 hour blues show? sounds good....

let me also ask-what are the digits? (frequency)

There are still AOR stations now.

where? a public supported station? gimme some examples, i'd like to track 'em down. if there is a true AOR station in the continental US, i might get back in the game.

Hi all,

'yesterday and today' is that a show or does the station do that throughout the entire format?

3 hour blues show? sounds good....

let me also ask-what are the digits? (frequency)

hi beatbo,.......that's what they do as part of the format.So is such n such has a new album out they do it,kind of fun to here 20/30+ year old tunes and something recorded recently,....

Hey you don't need the digits(100.7) listen on your computer:

WZLX

Oh,they also have Stairway to 7 Mon thru Fri @7 a block of Zep!!!!!!! :D

KB(Here what I say!)

Hi all,

hi beatbo,.......that's what they do as part of the format.So is such n such has a new album out they do it,kind of fun to here 20/30+ year old tunes and something recorded recently,....

Hey you don't need the digits(100.7) listen on your computer:

WZLX

Oh,they also have Stairway to 7 Mon thru Fri @7 a block of Zep!!!!!!! :D

KB(Here what I say!)

man, friggin' cool! thanks, friend!!!

where? a public supported station? gimme some examples, i'd like to track 'em down. if there is a true AOR station in the continental US, i might get back in the game.

I'm referring to commercial stations. I'm not sure if I could rattle off a long list of them off the top of my head but they do exist. One prime example would be the one I previously mentioned, KEXP out of Seattle but there are many more. Clear Channel has a stranglehold on the industry with their safe, highly restrictive playlists but thankfully they don't own every station out there.

I'm referring to commercial stations. I'm not sure if I could rattle off a long list of them off the top of my head but they do exist. One prime example would be the one I previously mentioned, KEXP out of Seattle but there are many more. Clear Channel has a stranglehold on the industry with their safe, highly restrictive playlists but thankfully they don't own every station out there.

jah (i like that shortening of your screen-do mind?)

you got my ears pricked up and i'm a-searchin'...

i got out of the radio business because of the death of this format. it allowed a well-educated dj to freeform-a talent that has been lost. if this still exists, i will find it.

jah (i like that shortening of your screen-do mind?)

you got my ears pricked up and i'm a-searchin'...

i got out of the radio business because of the death of this format. it allowed a well-educated dj to freeform-a talent that has been lost. if this still exists, i will find it.

Try this station out of Nashville but there's plenty more out there:

http://www.lightning100.com

I got out of radio in the mid-90s when it seemed the syndicated morning shows were taking over. Automation was also stepping in. Jocks were pre-recording their shifts so it sounded like they were on the air nearly 24 hours a day and the playlists were all very strictly controlled. In other words, all of the fun had been sucked out of it. I had read one too many stories of announcers who became burnt out on music and could no longer listen to it anymore. I love music too much to allow that to ever happen to me. While I definitely miss it, I'm glad I got out radio when I did. That said, I love satellite radio. There's much more freedom there as far as playlists are concerned and best of all, there's no commercials. That's not to say you can't find any good stations on the airwaves in general anymore but in my area (Eastern NC) they are few and far between so I feel like I made the right decision in investing in satellite radio.

I remember when I first heard it and I was really confused about what album it was on. I had all of their stuff and no google to look it up with. I think it is a brilliant song and I don't know why they didn't put it on one of their first five albums? I think it would have been great on Houses of the Holy. Have a listen.

This was the first Led Zeppelin song that I heard... And with Bring It on Home (How The West Was Won) I became a Led Zep fan...

Try this station out of Nashville but there's plenty more out there:

http://www.lightning100.com

I got out of radio in the mid-90s when it seemed the syndicated morning shows were taking over. Automation was also stepping in. Jocks were pre-recording their shifts so it sounded like they were on the air nearly 24 hours a day and the playlists were all very strictly controlled. In other words, all of the fun had been sucked out of it. I had read one too many stories of announcers who became burnt out on music and could no longer listen to it anymore. I love music too much to allow that to ever happen to me. While I definitely miss it, I'm glad I got out radio when I did. That said, I love satellite radio. There's much more freedom there as far as playlists are concerned and best of all, there's no commercials. That's not to say you can't find any good stations on the airwaves in general anymore but in my area (Eastern NC) they are few and far between so I feel like I made the right decision in investing in satellite radio.

i learned how to read the news and announce at an automated station in decatur, il in the '70s...

automated stations have been around along time, almost 40 years....

yeah, if you are talking about satellite, the freedom is definitely there. if there are AOR freeform broadcast stations, i seriously want to know who and where....

i learned how to read the news and announce at an automated station in decatur, il in the '70s...

automated stations have been around along time, almost 40 years....

yeah, if you are talking about satellite, the freedom is definitely there. if there are AOR freeform broadcast stations, i seriously want to know who and where....

I realize automated stations have been around for a long time, I worked at one myself during the 80s and it was totally joyless experience. I'm just saying the station I last worked at (and many more) have also become mostly automated these days as well.

Satellite radio also follows a format but it's not nearly as strict or limited as commercial stations.

I'm not saying there are "freeform" AOR stations, I'm saying there are ones that don't strictly adhere to playlists like many Clear Channel stations do. They play music outside the norm like many old album rock stations did, they're still following a format.

I realize automated stations have been around for a long time, I worked at one myself during the 80s and it was totally joyless experience. I'm just saying the station I last worked at (and many more) have also become mostly automated these days as well.

Satellite radio also follows a format but it's not nearly as strict or limited as commercial stations.

I'm not saying there are "freeform" AOR stations, I'm saying there are ones that don't strictly adhere to playlists like many Clear Channel stations do. They play music outside the norm like many old album rock stations did, they're still following a format.

lightning 100 is kicking ass...like the mix. thanks!

Archived