TSRTS reissue

sweetjellyroll

Love the new set, however I'm dissapointed the the entire version of Black Dog is not on here. As far as the availability, I went to Best Buy, Target and Circuit City, and nobody had it. I went to Wal-Mart of all places and they had it. Unbelievable. I wanted the Collector's Set with the lobby cards, etc. Guess I'll just have to wait.

I didn't like how the CDs and DVDs were the same now. There were alot of bad edits in the movie (like in the Rain Song and Black Dog) that transfered over to the CD. But anyway, if I wanted those full versions, I could just listen to the old soundtrack and the Led Zeppelin DVD. And we finally get a full version of Heartbreaker.

I dont understand what everones talking about in regards to the DVD not having the full versions of Rain Song and Black Dog, I bought the DVD two days ago, the Collectors Edition, and it has more then i bargained for in both quality and its contents, i was rather please also with the quality of the previously non-released tracks/footage particularly Misty Mountain Hop

Love the new set, however I'm dissapointed the the entire version of Black Dog is not on here. As far as the availability, I went to Best Buy, Target and Circuit City, and nobody had it. I went to Wal-Mart of all places and they had it. Unbelievable. I wanted the Collector's Set with the lobby cards, etc. Guess I'll just have to wait.

You should try Barnes And Noble, i got my version there and might go back for the Soundtrack

The new version of The Song Remains The Same - Live In MSG '73 is amazing, two discs 2.1 hours of class Led Zeppelin. The track list is great and the length of Dazed & Confused is amazing. the finale of Heartbreaker straight into Whole Lotta Love is amazing!

well done to all involved!

I got it yesterday. I Love it, and have already watched all the way through twice. I wanted the collectors edition, but couldn't find it. Oh well, this one is fine. Great sound too may i add. In my opinion...a must have for Zeppelin fans.

My comments on the video:

Finally! Jones can be heard! That has been my main beef with the initial TSRTS movie, and also with parts of "DVD." Jones is always left in teh background and hard to hear, even when he was on the keyboards (so No Quarter never sounded that good). But now Jonesy is right where he needs to be, as loud as Zoso, Percy, and Bonzo. This mix is absolutely perfect.

God I wonder what it would have sounded like in the theaters.

As per the picture... I'm stunned. It's very well done and very well edited. And I'm probably one of the few Zep fans who rather enjoys the little fantasy sequences and acted-out bits. The only one I think is a little boring and a tad sappy is Robert's sequence. I always watch this thinking "couldn't he have come up with something less cliche and more exciting, or at least thought-provoking? At least Jimmy's sequence made you think."

I love the special features, too. Scary good stuff here. A job well done, IMO. A job well done.

My comments on the video:

Finally! Jones can be heard! That has been my main beef with the initial TSRTS movie, and also with parts of "DVD." Jones is always left in teh background and hard to hear, even when he was on the keyboards (so No Quarter never sounded that good). But now Jonesy is right where he needs to be, as loud as Zoso, Percy, and Bonzo. This mix is absolutely perfect.

My thoughts exactly! JPJ sounds fantastic.

I got the collectors edition of the DVD and the T-shirt and other goodies are neat but the extra features are pathetic. In this months guitar world B.P Fallon says they were filming things constantly on the Starship and the like but that stuff is all in a vault. There was a similar story in an interview with Kevin Shirley when he did HTWWW on being let into the Zeppelin archives to see what was in there. Where was that stuff? Give me outtakes from filming the fantasy sequences! Hell give us anything! My suspicion is this is a release the fans will still snap up and doesn't reveal enough to kill the aura of mystery that has surrounded the band for almost 40 years. I would have loved some commentary tracks by the members or Eddie Kramer or whoever the FOH engineer for the show was. It feels like another chance to make a first class release blown. Any footage of Peter Grant doing anything would have been gold!

I'm generally miffed that they didn't fix any of the problems with the original audio/video edits from the original film so really it's the same shitty concert film but we can hear everything better. I Don't love where Kevin Shirley put the guitar in the mix but that was on headphones so maybe in 5.1 it's better. There are also a few terrible edits that reeked of heavy handed ProTools manipulation :angry: To me teh essence of being tight but loose is completly against the idea of snapping audio to a grid so the visuals line up better .

I've read several interviews where Page claims they couldn't change the video because of copyright laws. I have no idea how this could be, I work with copyrights all day and have never heard of copyright owners not being able to alter their own work, my guess is it would have been too expensive and the source material still isn't there. That is unless Warner Bros owns the film. My impression was the band payed for it themselves and were always pissed at how far over budget it went ("the most expensive home movie ever made" according to Peter Grant)

So for me DVD 2 stars, where it could have been amazing with cool then and now interviews and commentary's with the personalities involved it's more of the same with crisper picture and better audio fidelity.

Actually any time you see John Paul Jones with that ridiculous wig the rating immediatly goes to 4 stars only to plummet back to 2 when we are then jump cut to Robert's bulge.

The Dong Remains The Same!

Archived