Stop it now ! Zeppelin are NOT heavy metal..OK !

No1ZeppelinFan

I think pretty much we all do back you up. Metal? Advantage Sabbath.

Zeppelin were heavy, but never metal. As I said in a similar thread, I think "Metal" began in truth the day Rob Halford went into his first S&M shop. Saxon. Tygers of Pantang..

Yeah, Metal started with Sabbath.

Anyone who says different has their dates crossed.

Metal ain't about William Burroughs. It ain't about Steppenwolf or Blue Cheer.

It's about Metal. And Diamondhead and Mercyful Fate. Not Def Leppard.]

Zeppelin Metal? NEVER. Just the heaviest non-metal band ever! Metal bands wish they could be as heavy as Zeppelin.

I agree but I also have to disagree - just a bit. Absolutely spot on about metal beginning 'in truth' with Halford, but the term 'heavy metal' in regards to music was around long before that. In my neck of the woods, we considered Zep ...and Purple, and Sabbath, and Montrose, and a host of others... heavy metal music. When Halford etal refined heavy metal into what we know it as today, with the leather and studs and dumbed down guitar riffs, suddenly Zep and the rest didn't fit that category and so their genre became 'hard rock'. It could have been just the local vernacular, but that's the way it was back when I was in my teens.

gotta remember that the definition of heavy metal has changed through the years as the music evolved. i'm not saying zep is heavy metal (it's not), but there may have been a time when it was once considered that. especially when the genre was fairly new and much more undefined than it is now.

example: evster mentioned blue cheer. the cheer-booooring. but who else existed that were as hard? hendrix (who all metallers owe 5 bucks to, btw), but he wore hippy lsd clothes and sang about mermaids. so compared to nobody, was blue cheer metal? at the time-maybe. as soon as black sabbath released their first album? NO!

get me?

really, what does it matter? it's all a category designed to make you an easy target for t-shirts and shit....

edit to add: i DO have a really cool new sabbath t-shirt...no, really!

I agree but I also have to disagree - just a bit. Absolutely spot on about metal beginning 'in truth' with Halford, but the term 'heavy metal' in regards to music was around long before that. In my neck of the woods, we considered Zep ...and Purple, and Sabbath, and Montrose, and a host of others... heavy metal music. When Halford etal refined heavy metal into what we know it as today, with the leather and studs and dumbed down guitar riffs, suddenly Zep and the rest didn't fit that category and so their genre became 'hard rock'. It could have been just the local vernacular, but that's the way it was back when I was in my teens.

True. In the end it all boils down to the fact that the term has been fluid over time. It's semantics. Are they? No. Were they? When that's what metal meant, then yes. But we all agree it no longer applies and hasn't for 30 years (give or take).

Cheers yahyoubetcha! Uff da! :beer:

True. In the end it all boils down to the fact that the term has been fluid over time. It's semantics. Are they? No. Were they? When that's what metal meant, then yes. But we all agree it no longer applies and hasn't for 30 years (give or take).

Cheers yahyoubetcha! Uff da! :beer:

It does sound funny now to try and say Led Zeppelin is heavy metal when you think of what all the truly heavy metal bands are like. Can you picture Plant in leather and studs and Page head banging? :lol:

Simply put; Led Zeppelin is the best "Rock" band of all time.......

^^^^Ditto!! Although there are some sounds of heavy metal in some of their songs, I don't consider them at all to be labled a "heavy metal" band. That is more in the likes of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

^^^^Ditto!! Although there are some sounds of heavy metal in some of their songs, I don't consider them at all to be labled a "heavy metal" band. That is more in the likes of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

:)

here's a comparison to argue about:

listen to this first.

1st link

now, this:

the second link, i can safely say, is definitive heavy metal.

now, could there have been that song without the song in the first link?

and can it be understood why people always make this connection even though the genre is much more harder and defined?

discuss.....

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band.

I don't like any so called "Heavy Metal" bands except Black Sabbath because the rest are just lame copies of Sabbath. I like Hard Rock: Deep Purple, Gov't Mule, Aerosmith. I like Blues Rock: Johnny Winter, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers. And I like Progressive Rock: King Crimson, Rush, Yes. The Zeppelin skirts all these styles (and more: Folk Rock, World Music, Punk, etc.) yet cannot be contained in any one of them. That's why they are my favorite band.

Really peeves me off that people refer to Zeppelin as "Heavy Metal" or "Metal" they are NOT, They are a Rock band, Even Plant himself hates them being refered to as this. Come on who's backing me up here? :D

I think heaviest folk band describes them well :)

In some ways they were a Metal band.. because alot of their music draws comparisons to Finnish Folk Metal. Look at Immigrant Song.. possibly the first Folk Metal song? The Battle of Evermore is like the definer of Folk Metal lyrics (but not instrumental), because alot of Folk Metal songs sing about epic battles in another mythical realm, which is what The Battle of Evermore's lyrics are.

And Achilles Last Stand! It's kinda similar to Power Metal or something. It's got that huge epic feeling in it, with Page's "guitar-army" and Jonesy's galloping bass and Bonzo's drums, which give the impression of "riding into battle". And the mythical lyrics, another element of Metal.

Archived