Album of the decade?!

talisman

Probably starting this poll a year or two too soon but im interested to see what other people think. Try and keep it to a top 5 if you can. Mine would go as follows:

1. Spat Out By Machines - ROGUE FREQUENCY

2. Is This It - THE STROKES

3. Scarlet's Walk - TORI AMOS

4. Original Pirate Material - THE STREETS

5. You Are The Quarry - MORRISSEY

Tool-Lateralus>>> A journey no matter how you slice from probably the only prog metal band to ever gain any sort of mainstream popularity, there was alot of hype for this being the follow up to AEnima, but, while not quite as good front to back as its predecessor, Lateralus gives it a damn good run for its money

Modest Mouse-We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank>>> It's the only album I like by these guys, and it's a true gem. I can't even describe it, b/c it's so eclectic.

Red Hot Chili Peppers-Stadium Arcadium>>> 2 discs of a really great band puttin the crown on a pretty damn good run of albums. I know, most think the newer stuff sucks. They chase the pop charts a little more than I would like, but I just can't deny how great SA is. Frusciante has emerged as the true genius of the band, and I love where he has taken it.

My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges>>> This came out just a few months ago, but leaked ridiculously early. On 1st listen, I was about ready to throw it out the window. 2nd listen, I started to dig a few songs. By listen 5,..... well, technically I'm still on listen 5 b/c its been on steady rotation for a couple months now

Black Crowes-Freak n Roll.....Into the Fog>>> An amazing statement from one of the best bands ever. Recorded at the end of their reunion tour, it set the stage for several more tours and a great new album. The Crowes are absolutely on fire, on the album too. Some of the most tasteful jamming ever committed to tape and one of the best live albums ever.

Black Crowes-Freak n Roll.....Into the Fog>>> An amazing statement from one of the best bands ever. Recorded at the end of their reunion tour, it set the stage for several more tours and a great new album. The Crowes are absolutely on fire, on the album too. Some of the most tasteful jamming ever committed to tape and one of the best live albums ever.

Great record but when choosing my favorites of the past 8 years I would go for albums of new material, not live ones.

My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges>>> This came out just a few months ago, but leaked ridiculously early. On 1st listen, I was about ready to throw it out the window. 2nd listen, I started to dig a few songs. By listen 5,..... well, technically I'm still on listen 5 b/c its been on steady rotation for a couple months now

Not only a highlight of 2008, but the highlight of your list.

Great record but when choosing my favorites of the past 8 years I would go for albums of new material, not live ones.

I wouldn't normally, but it's just an amazing album from beginning to end. I think it shows where they, as a band, were at that given time.

IMO, an album is an album. Plus most of the songs have some massive jamming, which the Crowes had never done to such an extent.

When considering favorite albums of the last 8 years I personally wouldn't consider one consisting of live versions of previously released studio material to be eligible but that's just my take on it. One of my favorite live records of the last 8 years would be Wilco's Kicking Television but it also would be considered ineligible since all of the songs have previously been released on studio records (save for a couple).

When considering favorite albums of the last 8 years I personally wouldn't consider one consisting of live versions of previously released studio material to be eligible but that's just my take on it. One of my favorite live records of the last 8 years would be Wilco's Kicking Television but it also would be considered ineligible since all of the songs have previously been released on studio records (save for a couple).

Why wouldn't they be eligible? Do you like Kicking Television, as an album, more than others that made your list?

Freak n Roll does what I expect a great album to do, for me. Admittedly, those albums were a knee jerk reaction, and a couple may not make my final cut, but I would stand by them without batting an eye.

When ranking your favorite Zep albums, do you not include the live ones?

When compiling such lists I generally don't count live albums, only albums of new material. Exceptions would be live records that consist of entirely new material which are few and far between. That said, I also like the Crowes record (and Wilco's) but I wouldn't consider them in a list of my favorites of the past eight years since they consist mainly of previously released songs.

• 11 months later...

We're getting close to the finish line, anyone started giving any thought to their favorites from 2000 'til the end of 2009? I still have lots of pondering to do myself.

My Favorite Albums of the Decade 2000-2009

2000 - Cypress Hill Live at the Fillmore

2001 - Ted Nugent Full Bluntal Nugity

Snoop Dogg Greatest Hits

2002 - Bad Company Merchants of Cool

- Eric Clapton One More Car, One More Rider

2003 - The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall

Jimi Hendrix Live at Berkeley

2004 - Anastacia Anastacia

2005 - UFO You Are Here

2006 - Motley Crue Carnival of Sins Vol I & II

- Poison Greatest Big Hits Live

- Johnny Cash V: A Hundred Highways

2007 - Velvet Revolver Libertad

2008 - Ted Nugent Sweden Rocks

- Nelly Furtado Loose! Live

2009 - Them Crooked Vultures Deserve the Future

My Overall Favorite 2000-2009: Motley Crue Carnival of Sins Vol I & II

Top 50.

01. Black Dice - Beaches and Canyons (2002)

02. Fennesz - Endless Summer (2001)

03. Cornelius - Point (2002)

04. Christian Marclay/Elliott Sharp - High Noon (2000)

05. Derek Bailey - Ballads (2002)

06. 90 Day Men - (It (Is) It) Critical Band (2000)

07. Deerhoof - Reveille (2002)

08. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

09. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (2000)

10. Liars - They Were Wrong, So We Drowned (2004)

11. Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (2001)

12. The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We’re Gone? (2003)

13. Björk - Medúlla (2004)

14. Sonic Youth - Murray Street (2002)

15. Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006)

16. Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow (2003)

17. Portishead - Third (2008)

18. Battles - Mirrored (2007)

19. Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Ensemble - Dreams (2002)

20. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command (2000)

21. Sleater-Kinney - The Woods (2005)

22. Iran - Iran (2000)

23. Scott Walker - The Drift (2006)

24. Melt Banana - Cell-Scape (2003)

25. Arab On Radar - Yaweh or the Highway (2001)

26. Sunn O))) - Black One (2005)

27. Konono No. 1 - Congotronics (2005)

28. William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops II (2003)

29. Don Caballero - American Don (2000)

30. Boris - Feedbacker (2005)

31. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun (2001)

32. Christian Fennesz/Jim O'Rourke/Peter Rehberg - The Return of FennO'Berg (2004)

33. Xiu Xiu - The Air Force (2006)

34. Original Silence - The First Original Silence (2007)

35. Charlemagne Palestine & Tony Conrad - An Aural Symbiotic Mystery (2006)

36. Faust vs. Dalëk - Derbe Respect, Alder (2001)

37. Boris - Pink (2006)

38. Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind (2004)

39. Eluvium - Talk Amongst the Trees (2005)

40. The Books - The Lemon of Pink (2003)

41. Fugazi - The Argument (2001)

42. Quasimoto - The Unseen (2000)

43. Fennesz - Black Sea (2008)

44. Gang Gang Dance - God's Money (2005)

45. The Goslings - Grandeur Of Hair (2006)

46. M.I.A. - Arular (2005)

47. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (2002)

48. The Ohsees - The Cool Death of Island Raiders (2006)

49. Iran - The Moon Boys (2003)

50. Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance (2001)

• 10 months later...

Personally this past decade's music was good to me.

Alasdair Roberts - Farewell Sorrow (2003)

Black Pyramid (2009)

Blue Cheer - What Doesn't Kill You... (2007)

Brant Bjork - Somera Sól (2007)

Dead Man - Euphoria (2008)

Earthless - Sonic Prayer (2005)

Graveyard - Graveyard (2007)

Horisont - Två Sidor av Horisonten (2009)

Jens Carelius - The First Songs (2008)

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer (2007)

Radio Moscow - Radio Moscow (2007)

Ray LaMontagne - Gossip in the Grain (2008)

The Sadies - New Seasons (2007)

Ufomammut - Snailking (2004)

Witch - Witch (2006)

Witchcraft - Witchcraft (2004)

I only listed one album per artist and there's probably still more to discover.

Archived