Which book should I buy?

Mountain Hopper

I was at the book store and saw quite a few zep books. I was wondering which one's are the best. I've had friends recommend hammer of the gods, but some are expensive and I don't want to waste money since most are unauthorized. Any insight?

You're probably not going to get a lot of agreement on which books to buy. My personal preference has been Keith Shadwick's Led Zeppelin: The Story of a band and Their Music 1968-1980 (ISBN 0-87930-871-0) and Susan Fast's In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock Music (ISBN 0-19-514723-5). I also recommend Dave Lewis and Simon Pallett's Led Zeppelin: The Concert File (ISBN 1-84449-659-7). In fact all of the Dave Lewis authored books are quite good. If you're into collectables, the Robert Godwin books are excellent.

Meg

You're probably not going to get a lot of agreement on which books to buy. My personal preference has been Keith Shadwick's Led Zeppelin: The Story of a band and Their Music 1968-1980 (ISBN 0-87930-871-0) and Susan Fast's In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock Music (ISBN 0-19-514723-5). I also recommend Dave Lewis and Simon Pallett's Led Zeppelin: The Concert File (ISBN 1-84449-659-7). In fact all of the Dave Lewis authored books are quite good. If you're into collectables, the Robert Godwin books are excellent.

These are all good. I would add Ritchie Yorke's Led Zeppelin: A Definitive Biography as a useful overview of the band's trajectory.

I too think Shadwick's book is the best. That's an assessment by somebody who loved and understood music of all kinds. It's really sad that he passed recently.

Meg

[What she said ^]

Mick Wall's book might be good, as he has become friends with Jimmy since around Outrider. It's called When Giants Walked the Earth. I'm forward to it myself. It's coming out I think around the 16th of this month. I love the new Whole Lotta Led book. It's beautiful.

Archived