Led Zeppelin lasts...

JRomero

The goal of this thread is to answer questions of when things we're last done live by Led Zeppelin.

Here is my question to start things off:

When was the last time Robert sung Over The Hills And Far Away live like he did on the album?

The Japan shows in October of 1972, Robert hit some of the high notes (and some cracked ones) he acheived in the summer of that year. That was the last of that attempt.

What was the last concert Jimmy Page used a Telecaster on any song?

ohhh tough one, my guess is somewhere during lz2, or right after lz1

Jimmy Page used his Tele B-Bender almost exclusively on The Firm tours { 1984-1986}. Other than a few songs on his Lake Placid Blue Strat and even fewer on his Les Paul it was the Telecaster. It was the identifiable sound of The Firm.

The Japan shows in October of 1972, Robert hit some of the high notes (and some cracked ones) he acheived in the summer of that year. That was the last of that attempt.

What was the last concert Jimmy Page used a Telecaster on any song?

Wasn't the telecaster used on Presence and In Through the Out Door for the B-Bender stuff? I know one of his Les Pauls has the B-Bender. Didn't he use the "brown bomber" rebuilt Telecaster in the 1980 tour? He just had that period in the middle years where he wasn't using it.

When was the last time John Paul Jones sang backup live?

I'm gonna have to go with 7/24/1977 when he sang on The Battle of Evermore for the last time. That could be considered a lead vocal, maybe. So, before that, I would say 5/25/1975 when he sang backup on Tangerine.

Jimmy Page used his Tele B-Bender almost exclusively on The Firm tours { 1984-1986}.

I should have been more specific in asking about a last Led Zep performance that Jimmy used his Tele on.

Wasn't the telecaster used on Presence and In Through the Out Door for the B-Bender stuff? I know one of his Les Pauls has the B-Bender. Didn't he use the "brown bomber" rebuilt Telecaster in the 1980 tour? He just had that period in the middle years where he wasn't using it.

I don't know about the '80 tour and his usage of a Telecaster. Hmmm. Could be though. And I don't know specifically what guitars he used in the studio. I shouldn't be lazy and should research my own question. :P

Here's a couple of excerpts from a '77 interview. Not saying exactly when he last used a tele onstage with Zep, but I'm now guessing it would have been early 1969. I know full well the first album was pretty much exclusively the Tele and early performances. I just don't know the last date for his live appearance with it.

What kind of guitar were you suing on the first Led Zeppelin album?

JP: A Telecaster. I used the Les Paul with the Yardbirds on about two numbers and a Fender for the rest. You see the Les Paul Custom had a central setting, a kind of out-of-phase pickup sound which Jeff couldn’t get on his Les Paul, so I used mine for that.

Was the Telecaster the one Beck gave to you?

JP: Yes. There was work done on it but only afterwards. I painted it; everyone painted their guitars in those days. And I had reflective plastic sheeting underneath the pick guard that gives rainbow colors.

It sounds exactly like a Les Paul.

JP: Yeah, well that’s the amp and everything. You see, I could get a lot of tones out of the guitar, which you normally couldn’t. This confusion goes back to those early sessions again with the Les Paul. Those might not sound like a Les Paul, but that’s what I used. It’s just different amps, mike placings, and all different things. Also, if you just crank it up to the distortion point so you can sustain notes, it’s bound to sound like a Les Paul. I was using the Supro amp for the first album and still do.

The “Stairway To Heaven” solo was done when I pulled out the Telecaster, which I hadn’t used for a long time, plugged it into the Supro, and away it went again. That’s a different sound entirely from any of the rest of the first album. It was a good versatile setup. I’m using a Leslie on the solo on “Good Times Bad Times”. It was wired up for an organ thing.

What concert by Zep was the last where they ALL had full beards ? :D

I should have been more specific in asking about a last Led Zep performance that Jimmy used his Tele on.

I don't know about the '80 tour and his usage of a Telecaster. Hmmm. Could be though. And I don't know specifically what guitars he used in the studio. I shouldn't be lazy and should research my own question. :P

What concert by Zep was the last where they ALL had full beards ? :D

I know the last concert with Jimmy with a beard was in Australia in 1972. I think it's the 20th. But I'm not sure if JPJ or Robert had beards at that time.

For the Led Zeppelin 1980 Tour Over Europe, Jimmy used two Telecasters live. He had a brown 1959 Telecaster with a B-Bender, which was used for Hot Dog, and a 1966 olympic white Telecaster with a B-Bender, which was used for All of My Love.

For the Led Zeppelin 1980 Tour Over Europe, Jimmy used two Telecasters live. He had a brown 1959 Telecaster with a B-Bender, which was used for Hot Dog, and a 1966 olympic white Telecaster with a B-Bender, which was used for All of My Love.

Thanks JRomero! Glad to know. Now I wonder when he last used used it from '69 to those dates in '80. B)

I know the last concert with Jimmy with a beard was in Australia in 1972. I think it's the 20th. But I'm not sure if JPJ or Robert had beards at that time.

Yeah, here's Jimmy on the 20th in Aussie...

ng4rpl.jpg

I didn't immediately find pics from the 25th or 27th..but he was beardless by the 29th. The others were free of beards too.

ngydrq.jpg

I'll look back to '71 or '70 to try to find the last pic with them all bearded.

We know it's the 20th because there's a party the next day with a picture of him without a beard.

Ok for Jimmy. But I've been trying to find a photo with ALL of them with beards. Seems March '71 would be the last time. I've looked now for about an hour !!!!! Dayum !!!!!!!!!

John Bonham's beard March 28, 1970

av4x79.jpg

I didn't immediately find pics from the 25th or 27th..but he was beardless by the 29th. The others were free of beards too.

Sydney, February 27th 1972 was Jimmy's first beardless show.

page2.jpg

Therefore, Auckland, February 25th 1972 was the last time he was with beard, so presumably he shaved it on the 26th.

Led%20Zeppelin%20-%201972-02-25%20-%20Auckland,%20New%20Zealand.jpg

Archived