People Magazine

estofest

Zep appeared in People magazine at some point during their career right, (I believe the photo is in the 'Heaven and Hell' book)? I've never read the article. Does anyone have a link to it or would be willing to scan it? If not, anyone care to paraphrase what was talked about?

Thanks a lot.

here's a transcript of an article from people magazine...maybe it will help you in some way...

People Magazine article - 2/10/75

It's not a bird. It's not a plane. Instead it's Led Zeppelin, the super group of rock history. It sells more LPs than such countrymen as the Rolling Stones and has even outgrossed the Beatles on tour.

The figures do not yet include proceeds from the Zeppelin's new double album, Physical Graffiti (sure to be come the sixth and seventh out of seven albums to go platinum), nor earnings from the 26-city U.S. tour now in progress. The 500,000 available seats were sold out virtually overnight, even with the rescheduling necessary when the group was banned in Boston after over-zealous ticket buyers trashed the auditorium. That success and its heavy metal, brain wasting image aside, the group Is uniquely unexploitative and respectful of the audiences that have made It so immeasurably rich. With no Immodesty intended, Jimmy Page, the Zeppelin's guitarist (he and Eric Clapton are generally rated the best rock guitarists in the world), states: "We know it's a bit of a pilgrimage for many people to come see Led Zeppelln and we like to give them all we've got that's the spirit of the group."

Actually, Page began the tour having to give a little less than all, and quickly proved he is the world's nim blest nine-fingered virtuoso. Shortly before leaving Britain, a train compartment door closed on his left finger, crushing the top joint. Concerts can be canceled; pilgrimages never.

The rest of the group Includes lead vocalist Robert Plant, drummer John Bonham, bassist-key boardist John Paul Jones and manager Peter Grant, a sumo-sized ex-pro-wrestler who must be thought of as the fifth member. Without his mastery of a planetary Pavlovian tease, which carefully times the group's tours and LP releases and shields it from TV and other media potshots, the Zeppelin might be just another Jefferson Airbag. It is the extraordinary Page who dominates the group's gargantuan sound system and enables it to generate a colossally kinetic musical release narrated by Plant's poetic strivings. "The actual chemistry or is it alchemy of the group," says Page, "is that everything just always fits together. I can go roaring off on a solo, then suddenly break off into staccato. I look up at Robert and somehow we're all there. It's like ESP."

Page is an explorer on guitar, creating many of the group's pieces, as he says, by returning an acoustic guitar in some unfathomable way, listening as I sit in my garden, and building from there. Despite the Zeppelin reputation for relentlessly heavy rock, he weaves delicate phrasings on both six and twelve string guitars into many of the group's tracks. The effect is Zeppelin's unique capacity to lull and soothe Its fans, then pulverize them, as on its classic, Stairway to Heaven.

Page, the son of a corporate personnel officer, was born near London, totally isolated from kids my own age in the neighborhood. In school, Page boasts that he had a really tine education from 11 to 17 on how to be a rebel ?and I learned all the tricks in the game. His best trick was teaching him self the guitar in his early teens. When I first heard Elvis sing Baby, Let's Play House, I said to myself, That's it, I'm off. He soon became England's most sought-after player, adding his licks in sessions with the Kinks, the Stones, Donovan and Burt Bacharach. Page's exhausting, roaring live performance belies his gentle manner. There is a lot of aggression in my music, he admits. It's a marvelous thing to have a way to take it all out. A frail-framed, 31 year-old gypsy, he wistfully ponders a different sort of itinerary from the pun ishing rock tours: I've always wanted to get a caravan, one of those horse drawn medicine shows with drop-down sides, and do concerts with dancing la dies and acoustic instruments. It would sure beat sitting in a hotel room.

Page, the only single member of Zeppelin, has a home in London, a moated mansion over a lake in Sussex and a 15th century Loch Ness retreat. As for his love life, Page smiles: Let's just say I'm like a ship passing through storms, resting in ports now and then until it's time to continue the journey. I once told a friend, I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing - one that couldn't fly away.

-Jim Jerome

" Let's just say I'm like a ship passing through storms, resting in ports now and then until it's time to continue the journey. I once told a friend, I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing - one that couldn't fly away."

-Jim Jerome

Oh these famous lines...must have made the girls here a thousand sleepless nights... :rolleyes:

I was shopping at the supermarket and it was at all the grocery check-out stands. Here is the article with the links to the archive. It takes a while to download.

IT'S THE CRITICS, NOT LED

ZEPPELIN, SAYS ROBERT PLANT,

THAT ARE FULL OF HOT AIR

Rock'n'roll is barely two decades old, but its historians have already determined its Dark Ages: during the decline of the Beatles' civilization but before the enlightenment of Los Angeles and Nashville had taken firm hold. That was the Heavy Metal Age, roughly 1969-71, when one group, Great Britain's Led Zeppelin, emerged as the genre's unrivaled sovereign.

Heavy metal is the music that most closely commits artistic child abuse, aimed, as it is, at a constituency presumably under 18. Led Zep's pulverizing force has made it a sound to get cauliflower ears by and, as such, is preferably experienced in a semiconscious state. Yet, unintimidated by critics, rock fans all over the world scuffed up 24 million Zep albums (the group outsells the Rolling Stones' LPs in the U.S. by about two to one). It has also grossed some $15 million in concerts in the U.S., along the way breaking tour records of the Beatles themselves. Now there's another LP and a film of old concert footage-cumfantasy sequences, both titled The Song Remains the Same. Though heavy metal has faded as an art form, Led Zeppelin continues to pillage and plunder the land, as ever the most puissant rock group on earth.

The double LP, the group's first-ever live (not counting poor-quality bootlegs), has become their eighth platinum release (out of eight), and the film is now filling some 80 theaters across the U.S. It is little more than the group's home movie monument to itself, full of violent nightmares and narcissism, but it will gross another $3 million by Christmas.

Once again the reviewers cocked a snoot at the scent of success. The New York Times, which assigned a movie reviewer to the case, simply dismissed The Song as too loud, which to Zep fans is like saying Gone with the Wind has too many colors. The biweekly rock journal Rolling Stone, pursuing its critical feud with the group, called the film "a tribute to their rapaciousness and inconsideration." It is true that the Zep has a reputation for laying waste to hotels and ladies on tour, but that could largely be a canard floated by Zep haters and wallflowered groupies.

In their defense (to the extent that they care), the fearsome foursome deploys singer-lyricist Robert Plant, their most lucid and amiable liaison to the rest of the world. (The other members of the group are John Bonham, drummer; John Paul Jones, bassistkeyboardist, and Jimmy Page, guitarist-composer and maestro.) At least a closet intellectual and monogamist, Plant, 28, is the idol of fans more likely Song to wonder about Kiss than Kierkegaard and who can hardly pick out his poetic images from the aural assault. Actually, says Plant, it's the band's stately restraint—most evident during Page's sparkling acoustic tracks—that has sustained its supremacy over imitators like Black Sabbath and Aerosmith. "We ebb and flow to soothe, then explode as we do in Stairway to Heaven. We have always stood alone in that regard, and critics have always missed the intricacies of our music. They have allowed our name to be linked," he sniffs, "with that horrendous boring period of music—heavy metal. I hate the term."

Plant, nevertheless, can live with it. A witty man with a dependably effervescent spirit, he is probably the one rock star who numbers on his list of heroes not only faves like Chuck Berry, B. B. King and Howlin' Wolf but also William the Conqueror. In fact, Plant is a Medieval Freak—"I can find my way from 500 A.D. through to 1066 pretty well as an amateur historian," he says. Robert resides in Wales, steeped, he says dreamily, "in the language, the smells, the wisps of mists from Welsh history swirling around me. In those old days," he adds, "to march 80 miles to protect your heritage, you really had to have it together. Tribes would come," he muses, "striking quickly, stamp their authority on their enemies, then vanish with no trace at all."

Of course, when Plant goes off to battle, it's usually in a leased jet or limo. As for the roistering, brawling Zeppelin legend, Robert maintains, "I was a voyeur, watching it all happen." And in this mellower time, he says, "To rock isn't necessarily to cavort.! still like to get carried away but passively."

When he retreats home, it's to his Eurasian wife of eight years, Maureen, 28, daughter Carmen, 8, and son Karac, 5. "We call him Baby Austin," Dad reports, "after that Bionic Man. He knows no fear, has no anticipation of danger. I envy him." The Plants live in an 800-year-old stone house on 290 rolling acres. "Plunk," Robert exults, "on the side of a conical Welsh mountain tucked away like in the fold of a good skirt—where we should all be. No, no, no. I didn't mean t h a t . . ."

All four Zep members are family men, millionaires, country squires (Plant also has a home near Birmingham, as does Bonham; Page and Jones are in Sussex), with eight kids among them. "It's much easier to live that settled life," Plant has discovered, "when you know there's the other too. They augment each other. I daresay one good concert justifies a week of satisfaction at home. Kids are very stabilizing," he philosophizes. "Carmen used to think she had two fathers—the one whose singing she heard through the speakers and the one on whose knee she was sitting. They love it when I come back to tell them tales.".

An endangered species, the English rock-star-resident of the U.K., Plant won't tax-exile his family, he says, because "wealth isn't something you hide away for in some remote place—just to maintain figures. Life's got to be lived the best way possible." For Robert that's roaming his land with his family underfoot; to "get involved with my 300 sheep and one pig—her name is Madam" and jot down "my meanderings about life which might give me a lyrical inkling." He also used to play soccer with a village team, until he broke his foot and ankle in an auto accident during a family excursion in Greece 16 months ago.

That injury—and the long, hobbling recovery—halted a mini-tour of the U.S. and forced Plant to sell his beloved horses. "I wouldn't like to be tended to only every now and then," he empathized. "That's why," he winks, "I joined a rock'n'roll band."

It could have been worse—like an accounting career, which is what Plant, the son of a Birmingham civil engineer, was originally targeted for via Cambridge. "I can still count faster than an adding machine," he cracks. "But as a lad I was always gregarious. You can't fake being an extravert. Nothing better than bright conversation." So the lure of black blues music led Plant into Birmingham's bohemian circles, and several bands in the mid-'60s-—the most durable of which was the Band of Joy whose drummer was Bonham, another local lad. Plant had never written a song before Zeppelin.

In 1968 the fabled Yardbirds (of which Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck had been members) split up. Page set out to form his own band. He had known Jones for years around London's sessions circuit and learned of Plant and Bonham through a musician friend.

"From the first it was pure enthusiasm and desire." says Plant. "Jimmy doesn't play—he enforces. It was the Ultimate Unit we had all been thinking about for years."

Robert says the "forced senility" from his accident is over and the group will tour the U.S. by spring '77 for the first time in two years. "There is a great amount of triumph and emotion when we rock onstage—and a royalness about the way we do it." But are Plant and Zep still up to the task? "If we couldn't rock we wouldn't try. I'm not going to turn into the Leonard Cohen of rock—sitting there going to sleep singin' the blues," he cracks. The satisfaction Robert Plant vows to provide—in a multisyllable adverb probably never employed by a rock monster before—will be "adamantly Zeppelin."

JIM JEROME

http://storage.people.com/pdfs/19761220/PE...61220_ISSUE.PDF

http://www.people.com/people/archive/issue...6761220,00.html

here's a transcript of an article from people magazine...maybe it will help you in some way...

Page, the only single member of Zeppelin, has a home in London, a moated mansion over a lake in Sussex and a 15th century Loch Ness retreat. As for his love life, Page smiles: Let's just say I'm like a ship passing through storms, resting in ports now and then until it's time to continue the journey. I once told a friend, I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing - one that couldn't fly away.

-Jim Jerome

I was shopping at the supermarket and it was at all the grocery check-out stands. Here is the article with the links to the archive. It takes a while to download.

All four Zep members are family men, millionaires, country squires (Plant also has a home near Birmingham, as does Bonham; Page and Jones are in Sussex), with eight kids among them. "It's much easier to live that settled life," Plant has discovered, "when you know there's the other too. They augment each other. I daresay one good concert justifies a week of satisfaction at home. Kids are very stabilizing," he philosophizes.

The difference of these contents is very curious. :rolleyes:

Jimmy seemed to try to conceal something desperately in those days.

But he clearly said in interview of Japanese music magazine of 1976 that ''I'm going to spend with my family in Christmas though I'm busy every day in the preparation for the next year's tour.

My daughter,Scarlet is five years old.''(laugh)

I personally think he might have felt joy that he had cheated the people and the fans.

Or he might have been creating the ideal of the rock star whom people imagined by himself.

Jimmy seemed to try to conceal something desperately in those days.

But he clearly said in interview of Japanese music magazine of 1976 that ''I'm going to spend with my family in Christmas though I'm busy every day in the preparation for the next year's tour.

My daughter,Scarlet is five years old.''(laugh)

I personally think he might have felt joy that he had cheated the people and the fans.

Or he might have been creating the ideal of the rock star whom people imagined by himself.

I think he was simply glad to be in a warm, congenial community and family environment at Christmas to share the joyful spirit.

He never cheated the people or the fans. Jimmy Page has worked harder than most and his respites are well-deserved.

He was separated from those near and dear for extended periods of time. He probably was relieved to be among loved ones who cared about more than his latest artistic production, and loved and accepted him for who he is.

With that said, I believe he still thrives on the appreciation and esteem of the fans, and loves to perform music, with an emphasis on his customary attention to quality. He is justifiably proud of his work and loves to entertain people to make them smile.

Jimmy Page is over-exposed to the world in many ways. It is healthy for him to spend private time near his family and close loved ones. He is so driven to succeed that he sometimes does so at great cost, but his family balances him. So much of life's true success involves being near those who have your best interests at heart.

There's another People Magazine with a Zeppelin article from 1979 (sorry don't know the date but I'm sure someone here will) that is about Knebworth, but I no longer have it. I remember it had a pic of Robert, Carmen & Maureen.

It takes a few minutes for the article to download from the pdf file.

Zep appeared in People magazine at some point during their career right, (I believe the photo is in the 'Heaven and Hell' book)? I've never read the article. Does anyone have a link to it or would be willing to scan it? If not, anyone care to paraphrase what was talked about?

Thanks a lot.

That is funny you should ask about this. I was just going through some of my old Tolkien Calendars and such and ran into this magazine in my stuff. i have had it for years.

Archived