35. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position

34. Dungen - Tio Bitar

33. Stars Of The Lid - And The Refinement Of Their Decline

32. Low - Drums and Guns

31. Menomena - Friend and Foe

30. El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead

29. Electrelane - No Shouts No Calls

28. A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Scribble Mural Comic Journal

27. Of Montreal - Oh Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

26. Kathy Diamond - Miss Diamond to You

25. Battles - Mirrored

24. Studio - West Coast

23. !!! - Myth Takes

22. Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season

21. Caribou - Andorra

20. Dalek - Abandoned Language

19. Liars - Liars

18. Justice - Cross

17. Grinderman - Grinderman

16. The Besnard Lakes - Are the Dark Horse

15. The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters

14. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

13. Gui Boratto - Chromophobia

12. Phosphorescent - Pride

11. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

09. The Field - From Here We Go Sublime

08. M.I.A. - Kala

07. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

06. Kanye West - Graduation

05. The National - The Boxer

04. Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3

03. Panda Bear - Person Pitch

02. Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

01. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Ain't that something ?

Neither one of us has any of it. I guess we're just not hip, or styled in stylus's eyes.. <_<

While I enjoy perusing the various year end best of lists I'm not one to get all that worked up about what releases make the cut on them. I listen to what I like with no aversions whatsover to what's hip or not. That approach sucks all the joy out of listening to and enjoying music, at least to me.

Yeah..but by yearend I usually have some of the music on various lists. I've seen 2 recently you've posted and I didn't have a single one. The again, I haven't bought too many new cd's this year. Mostly deluxe versions of older material.

In recent years I've started keeping a list of everything I've purchased (or been gifted with) over the course of the year whether it be full length albums (CD & vinyl), EPs, box sets, reissues, etc. Last year it came out almost even. I just tallied up this years' lists and it came out like this:

42 new releases

40 released prior to 2007

All that and I still don't have a lot of stuff I'd like to hear such as Neil's new one, Lucinda's West, Steve Earle's Washington Square Serenade, The Song Remains the Same remaster and lots of others. I also keep track of DVDs and books but didn't include them here.

I imagine there's a way to do some sort of Excel spreadsheet but you're right, that would be a massive undertaking especially considering the amount of vinyl, cassettes and CDs I've accumulated over the years. Still, it would be a nice way of keeping track.

Not sure about satellite radio hiring but I understand there's some online only radio stations that allow you to DJ. Only thing is, there's no pay.

Man... there's at least 10 people on that list that I've never even heard of. I just can't keep up, especially since I don't download willy-nilly. I'd have a lot more money if I just slowed down...

Anyways, I was wondering why Sigur Ros Hvarf-Heim isn't on the list... maybe it doesn't count because it's technically 2 EPs packed together, rather than an album?

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/pop...ums-of-2007.htm

47. 65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas

34. Dungen - Tio Bitar

32. Low - Drums and Guns

27. Of Montreal - Oh Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

20. Dalek - Abandoned Language

08. M.I.A. - Kala

07. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

06. Kanye West - Graduation

01. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

These are the ones off that list that I would consider worthwhile, although I highly disagree that LCD is number 1, wtf?

• 2 months later...
No Interpol??

Tinariwen, Spoon, Arcade Fire, and Caribou are all artists doing something significant within the modern music idiom.

I saw Arcade Fire live at the Sydney leg of the Big Day Out festival in Australia last month, and was blown away with how impassioned and unpretentious they were. A breath of fresh air amongst the parade of posers.

I highly disagree that LCD is number 1, wtf?

Same here. I bought that following rave reviews from people whose taste I respect(ed). Pretty bland, though it may grow on me if I bother listening to it a few times. I got the Panda Bear one on similar recommendation and it's quite good. Ambient Beach Boys, I would say. Quite hypnotic. Have to be in the right mood, but that applies to a lot of great music.

Can't stand Arcade Fire, though I've never seen them live, and that's where they really seem to get the positive comments from. On record they just sound like too many 80s groups (e.g. Prefab Sprout) for my taste.

The Radiohead album is a big grower, though they set themselves way too high standards with The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A. If you forget those albums then In Rainbows is excellent by any other standard at the moment.

2007 wasn't bad, but seeing Led Zeppelin pretty much eclipsed anything else for me, and that's given everyone else's efforts a major (and possibly unfair) handicap.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/pop...ums-of-2007.htm

18. Justice - Cross

14. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

12. Phosphorescent - Pride

With the exception of Panda Bear, these are the only albums from the list I own:

Justice = good dance/pop/electronica

Iron & Wine = good folk/pop

Phosphorescent = ethereal folk/pop, also good

Arcade Fire = great rock/pop

Radiohead = it's Radiohead

Panda Bear = what I heard sounded interesting; Brian Wilsonesque pop

where are:

Brandi Carlile - The Story

Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild (my #1 for the year)

Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum

Giant Bear - Giant Bear

Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

Sea Wolf - Leaves in the River

Edited by kidmoon

Kanye West Album Graduation was good musically. Everything was in it's place. It was catchy and the lyrics had some meaning behind it. I not into hip hop or pop. But when the music itself sounds good to me. I usually turn the bass up and go pounding down the street. I haven't listen to anything else on this list, so my opinion has some faults.

Like Jahfin,I dont care whats on the popular lists.I am able to find through the internet,and from suggestions,from the good folks on a couple of forums enough new music for my needs.I have a pretty large collection myself.Still go back and rotate through alot of my older stuff as well.

There is not much on that list that stokes my interest.My tastes go more for whats not as popular these days.

Like Jahfin,I dont care whats on the popular lists.I am able to find through the internet,and from suggestions,from the good folks on a couple of forums enough new music for my needs.I have a pretty large collection myself.Still go back and rotate through alot of my older stuff as well.

There is not much on that list that stokes my interest.My tastes go more for whats not as popular these days.

Most of the albums on that list are not what one usually considers popular; a number of those bands are "under the radar"...

Most of the albums on that list are not what one usually considers popular; a number of those bands are "under the radar"...

As are the majority of the artists included on many the lists posted here whether they be from Harp, Paste, No Depression, Pitchfork, Stereogum or whomever.

As are the majority of the artists included on many the lists posted here whether they be from Harp, Paste, No Depression, Pitchfork, Stereogum or whomever.

Right. I wasn't complaining; perhaps I misunderstood xmas as thinking many of the bands listed were "popular"...

Right. I wasn't complaining; perhaps I misunderstood xmas as thinking many of the bands listed were "popular"...

I guess I just assumed that the list was a whats popular list,There are alot on the list I am not familiar with.And seeing how I dont keep up with "whats in" I was somewhat mistaken.

Not a mention of the Foo Fighters' latest, Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace? I think that's their best album. The Pretender just owns about any other song I heard this year.

It's just one list, everyone's favorite of 2007 isn't going to appear on all of them. And, so what if it doesn't? It doesn't change my opinion of Stylus (or any other site or magazine) any.

Just a comment. I just find it odd that any list doesn't have that album. It's really good. And I don't like that much of newer rock.

I know of a lot of albums I thought were very good this past year myself but very few of them made any lists (other than my own).