Is Robert telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

rockerrr

Erm, it wasn't Robert's idea, but I already said that . . . . :ph34r: It was still a great idea. :)

It was my understanding that Robert suggested that Zeppelin preform a tribute other than the one Mica asked Led Zeppelin to be apart of. Is that correct?

It was my understanding that Robert suggested that Zeppelin preform a tribute other than the one Mica asked Led Zeppelin to be apart of. Is that correct?

Robert was receptive to her request to do something for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, but he preferred to do so in England as opposed to participate in the one held in New York.

Mica Ertegun, Ahmet's wife and president of The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, commented: "Ahmet attributed his success to his excellent education, and his ability to recognize innovative artists that touched us all. It was his wish to endow music and liberal Arts scholarships that would enable gifted children to reach their highest creative potential. The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund was founded with that goal. He would be very proud that Led Zeppelin have chosen to re-unite and headline a benefit concert in his name featuring so many of his friends. I would like to thank all of the artists for their generous contribution to help make Ahmet's vision a reality."

Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin: "During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us he WAS Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator -- this performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long standing friend."

Mick Jones, Foreigner: "Ahmet's combination of charm, humour, irreverence and above all his great passion for music made getting to know him one of the brightest highlights of my life."

Paolo Nutini: "Meeting Ahmet Ertegun in New York 2 years ago was a complete honour. He touched my life with his amazing personality and opened a few doors when I was starting my career. He even invited me to sing with Ben E King and Robert Plant at Montreux last year as part of a celebration of his musical life. He was a special guy, a real gentleman and it's such a shame he's gone but a massive tribute that all his music lives on -- and will do forever. God bless Ahmet."

Harvey Goldsmith CBE: "Ahmet introduced me to America when I first started promoting. He became a friend and was my mentor. Our Industry deeply misses such a giant of music. It is a fitting tribute that these great artists have all come together to perform in his memory. The proceeds of the evening will go to The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund for student scholarships. One of these scholarships will be for a music student in the UK each year."

Bill Curbishley, Trinifold management: "To have had Ahmet regard me as one of his close friends over the past 40 yrs was indeed a rare privilege. To be involved in setting up this event, plus a music trust in his name and in his spirit is also a great honour and privilege for me."

Robert was receptive to her request to do something for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, but he preferred to do so in England as opposed to participate in the one held in New York.

Does this mean it was Robert's idea for Zeppelin to do the 02 show instead of the Amhet tribute in NY or was that already a planned event?

Does this mean it was Robert's idea for Zeppelin to do the 02 show instead of the Amhet tribute in NY or was that already a planned event?

Well, things evolved much more slowly than that. Initially, they'd been approached to participate in the tribute being held in New York (March 2007), but Robert expressed

a personal preference to do something else in England. The original plan was to play

for about 30 to 45 mins, but rehearsals went so well it was decided to do a full show

with support from other UK artists.

While the concert did benefit an educational charity in Mr. Ertegun’s name, it also coincided with the release of two major Zeppelin reissues: “Mothership,” a two-disc

hits set out Nov. 13, and an expanded version of “The Song Remains the Same,” the soundtrack to the band’s 1976 concert movie, released Nov. 20. The original 02 gig

date was Nov 26th, but postponed to Dec 10th on account of Jimmy's finger injury.

Hi 'glicine',

My point is that Robert and Bonzo were from the same area and had been in a few bands together, when they all came together as Led Zeppelin they may have shared a musical interest but not much else. When the tours ended mostly they would go home to their families, on occation some of the members would even holiday together. Did this happen when the bans split up? I dont think so, maybe someone like Knebby can cast some light on this but I think they were like work mates.

When you change jobs you mostly leave these mates behind, but you always keep your friends even if you work with them.

Friends.

Robert and Bonzo. Yes.

Robert and Jimmy. May be.

Robert and John Paul. No.

Other relationships. No

Just my intuition, and some inside help.

Regards, Danny

PS, I dont think there is any hate between them, just a lot of time not spent together.

John Paul and Bonzo: YES

I think Robert is a bit whimsical in his interviews sometimes. I imagine that having to constantly answer questions about Zep and being nailed down on a position can be a bit tiring. I don't think he can always give a yes or no answer. What will the next few years bring? Perhaps none of us want to commit to anything beyond whats before us--

A full blown Zep reunion--I don't see it happening. The "one off" for the right reason; perhaps.

Even when Zep material was revisited in the Unledded project it was done in the spirit of reinventing the old numbers and not merely rehashing them. I think that was as close as Robert will come to engaging Zeppelin material on that scale(album and tour of mostly Zep songs).

Personally, I think it will absolutely be made available as a commercial release one day.

I hope so! I watched the third eye DVD on the anniversary and it looked like the o2 show was phenomenal. With all of the cameras that were on and around the stage it would make a fantastic DVD :):D My guess is that it will be released at some point...But I also thought that Led Zeppelin would also do a very limited tour. Still hoping for both.

Archived