Transcendentalism in Zeppelin Songs

I have to do a school project that includes finding Transcendentalist ideals in songs, and explaining what truths come out of it. What zeppelin songs do you think maybe support some transcendental ideals?

such ideals include

-Discovering whats most important in life by self discovered truths

-Beauty of nature

-Importance of self reliance

-Importance of literature and philosophies rather than science

essentially discovering what life is really about

feel free to correct any of these ideals, or add on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendentalism

the songs that i was thinking was In The Light or The Rover, any other ideas?

Kashmir is a journey, i think you can certainly find what you need from that song. In a hurry or i would try to think a little harder. Good luck with your project. btw...John Lennon and The Beatles have many songs you could use!

Tangerine's a Hippy. Dont listen to her. She's all about Wavy Gravy, Bra burning, Country Joe & The Fish, Hackysack & guys that invite her to their loft to show her their "etchings".

"Kashmir" is all about scoring chicks in the high school parking lot. Trust me, Im sure it worked on Tangerine when she was in high school.

I agree with Tangerine.

Kashmir has transcendentalism in not just the lyrics but in the music itself. LZ was into Eastern music,so, I Would look at songs that have an obvious Eastern influence,

Thank you maven2blue... I'm guessing you are also a fellow hippie? :)

Zeppelin was all about transcendence; even if only in the overcoming of physical limitations to do the unexpected and seemingly impossible playing and singing they did.

In their time they were very into the ability of their music to express the magic they perceived around them.

Joseph Campbell speaks of the transparency to transcendence whether in music or other arts or even day to day actions. This means that we may do or create things that do not limit the possibility of opening up pathways to the divine or at least not denying the possibility that divine forces may inhabit us, our works, the world around us. We may simply leave ourselves open to the possibility or actively pursue this. I think Zeppelin actively pursued; to what level is all we can speculate about.

.....I could go on but gotta go for now....

I'm nearly embarrased to bring the idea in, but isn't Stairway very transcendental? I just meant, "my spirit is crying for leaving", "the forrests will echo with laughter" , "and as we wind on down the road our shadows taller than our soul" and so on...

(PS, yes, I'm a hippie too ^_^ )

• 2 weeks later...
Tangerine's a Hippy. Dont listen to her. She's all about Wavy Gravy, Bra burning, Country Joe & The Fish, Hackysack & guys that invite her to their loft to show her their "etchings".

"Kashmir" is all about scoring chicks in the high school parking lot. Trust me, Im sure it worked on Tangerine when she was in high school.

I think Stairway is about sex...Think about it, The Lady is a groupie & if you slept with Jimmy or Robert,wouldn't you think you were in heaven?

:offtopic: Anyways...

Dancing Days is my suggestion - looking for those summer evenings, flowers, and women who know. "I guess it's all in my heart..."

Sounds like a good life to me

Zeppelin was all about transcendence; even if only in the overcoming of physical limitations to do the unexpected and seemingly impossible playing and singing they did.

In their time they were very into the ability of their music to express the magic they perceived around them.

Joseph Campbell speaks of the transparency to transcendence whether in music or other arts or even day to day actions. This means that we may do or create things that do not limit the possibility of opening up pathways to the divine or at least not denying the possibility that divine forces may inhabit us, our works, the world around us. We may simply leave ourselves open to the possibility or actively pursue this. I think Zeppelin actively pursued; to what level is all we can speculate about.

.....I could go on but gotta go for now....

There's a big difference between the concept of transcendence, and the (very specific) philosophy of Transcendentalism, though, which is basically the American version of Romanticism.

Archived