Grateful Dead To Tour

ninelives

How's it going "ninelives?" I've seen THE GRATEFUL DEAD at least 12 times. I've seen them in L.A., Sacramento and Oakland in the late 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. I loved seeing them at the Cal Expo Amphitheater in Sacramento. I used to love hanging out in the parking lot, thats where all of the action was really at. I actually met and walked down the parking lot with the late great Jerry Garcia. What a treat that was for me. ROCK ON!

How's it going "ninelives?" I've seen THE GRATEFUL DEAD at least 12 times. I've seen them in L.A., Sacramento and Oakland in the late 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. I loved seeing them at the Cal Expo Amphitheater in Sacramento. I used to love hanging out in the parking lot, thats where all of the action was really at. I actually met and walked down the parking lot with the late great Jerry Garcia. What a treat that was for me. ROCK ON!

That is quite a treat to have met Jerry. I can't imagine seeing them without him. Much as I think they are great musicians, as a band, Jerry's sound was such a huge part of things.

That is quite a treat to have met Jerry. I can't imagine seeing them without him. Much as I think they are great musicians, as a band, Jerry's sound was such a huge part of things.

Why hello "ninelives!" I'm a little drunk here at the local bar using the owner's (My friend's) computer so forgive me if I misspell some words. Like you just said, THE GRATEFUL DEAD have never been the same since Jerry Garcia died. Jerry and I had a great long conversation in the parking lot which lasted well over an hour and a half. I swear, Jerry was dropping acid while walking down the parking lot and saying hello to his fans and shaking hands. WHAT A SIGHT! I managed to drop a little acid but I wanted to make sure that I remembered this moment. ROCK ON!

This is just ANOTHER sad page in the history of long lived bands. They just can't resist the urge to milk the public for another buck, can't resist the urge to satirize their musical legacy with tribute band like performances, blah, blah, blah. And with the Dead you'll get all these knuckleheads selling beads in the parking lot trying to pretend it's 1971. Just shoot me.

Other than the Obama events last year this would be the first time they've performed as the Grateful Dead since Garcia died in '95. Since he passed several surviving members have performed as The Other Ones, The Dead and with Phil Lesh & Friends but not as "the Grateful Dead". It will never be the same without Jerry but that won't keep me from seeing them in concert either. I also seriously doubt they're doing it solely for the money since every one of them are set for life. Very few bands are able to carry on without key members but there are exceptions to the rule, such as the Allman Brothers Band. It's not as though Duane and Berry Oakley aren't missed as they most certainly are but if I go to see the Allmans these days I don't get the feeling I'm seeing a nostalgia act. They are just as vital now as they ever were, thanks in no small part to Warren and Derek Trucks. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Lynyrd Skynyrd. Even though they continue to record new music they'll never be the same without Ronnie Van Zant. Little Feat also does a good job without Lowell George but they don't even come close to the band they were when he was alive.

Ummm....where does it say they're touring as The Grateful Dead in the article? It says that Grateful Dead alums are planning to tour together for the first time in five years, and that now they call themselves The Dead. I don't see the problem. They're getting together to play and they're not using the name The Grateful Dead. There's nothing wrong with that.

Milking the public for an extra buck has nothing to do with whether or not any of the members need the money. The Dead Get Weirder that's for sure. Music for 50 year old men, I'll pass.

Perhaps they just enjoy playing together and would like to do that again. Not much different from Jimmy and John Paul deciding they'd like to work together again is it? Don't think I'd say the music is for 50 year old men :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification on "The Dead" vs. "The Grateful Dead". I saw them as The Dead a few years ago with Branford Marsalis sitting in for the entirety of their Raleigh show and thoroughly enjoyed it but it wasn't even close to The Grateful Dead or even the original incarnation of The Other Ones. Still, they might just be worth checking out. I'm just glad to see them getting along well enough to play together, not so long ago it seemed several of them were at each others' throats over charging for downloading shows (which has always been free).

As for "milking", that's up to the concertgoer as no one is forcing anyone to see The Dead (or the Police, Van Halen, or any other of the number of groups that have reunited in recent years). As for it being music for 50 year old men, can't say I agree with that either, if anything the music of the Grateful Dead is timeless. At every show I attended there were people there from a very broad age range, from toddlers to much older folks and everyone inbetween.

The other big "reunions" I've heard about in the coming year would be The Kinks and The Faces. Can't say I'd call this one a reunion since they've toured as "The Dead" before.

The Dead Live.

I tell you what, I didn't read the link but if they got Steve Kimock on guitar along with Bob Weir they'd have a formadible facsimile of the greatful Dead. I heard him play with Bob Weir a couple of years ago and for a minute, I thought Jerry had resurrected. Uncanny to say the least.

The Dead Live.

I tell you what, I didn't read the link but if they got Steve Kimock on guitar along with Bob Weir they'd have a formadible facsimile of the greatful Dead. I heard him play with Bob Weir a couple of years ago and for a minute, I thought Jerry had resurrected. Uncanny to say the least.

I'm pretty sure the lineup is: Weir, Kreutzmann, Lesh and Hart with Warren Haynes on guitar and Jeff Chimenti from Ratdog on keys.

I saw The Jerry Garcia Band twice after Garcia died. Both times it took two guitarists to fill in for him. The first show was particularly moving since it was not long after Garcia had passed away and the two original backup singers were deluged with flowers. It was also a pleasure to see Melvin Seals in action.

I suspect the job market will improve when The Dead tour. All the yuppie investment bankers/lawyers/CPA's will quit working and follow the dead on tour, supporting themselves by selling beads in the venue parking lots. Get your resumes spruced up.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I suspect the job market will improve when The Dead tour. All the yuppie investment bankers/lawyers/CPA's will quit working and follow the dead on tour, supporting themselves by selling beads in the venue parking lots. Get your resumes spruced up.

No. They will all escape their humdrum suburban lives for a single show in remembrance of what their lives used to be. They'll probalby have fun for the evening and go back to crunching numbers the next morning.

But as said, without Jerry...and for me..Pigpen..there is no Grateful Dead.

I never cared much for any of the other keyboard players after Pigpen - too much ragtime, and not spacy enough. And the 2 drummer thing never made any sense - Bill K. was more than adequate.

But Phil Lesh is a fun bassist and Bob Weir does a good job on covering old time type songs. I wouldn't mind checking out their show, if they're doing stuff like "Me and My Uncle" and "Brown Eyed Women"...

I never cared much for any of the other keyboard players after Pigpen - too much ragtime, and not spacy enough. And the 2 drummer thing never made any sense - Bill K. was more than adequate.

But Phil Lesh is a fun bassist and Bob Weir does a good job on covering old time type songs. I wouldn't mind checking out their show, if they're doing stuff like "Me and My Uncle" and "Brown Eyed Women"...

I thought Vince Welnick did a good job on keyboards. Mickey Hart is a really good drummer and I think he adds an interesting flair to the sound.

I thought Vince Welnick did a good job on keyboards. Mickey Hart is a really good drummer and I think he adds an interesting flair to the sound.

I only saw them live once, and was somewhat suprised / put off by the amount of drum solos they did. All my school friends were extreme Deadheads, but the older recordings they listened to didn't have so much of this. This is one thing that would make me hesitant to see them now - I get to go to very few shows, and don't want filler material. I do like bass solos, however - but I don't believe Lesh is known for that?

I never cared much for any of the other keyboard players after Pigpen - too much ragtime, and not spacy enough.

In Pigpen's latter years with the band, some of his keyboard parts were overdubbed by the recently passed Merl Saunders. Pigpen's health declined rapidly and unfortunately his keyboard prowess suffered as well.

But his spirit at the shows was a force to be reckoned with, and his absence was a blow to the band for sure. I enjoyed his vocals and harmonica work as much as his keyboard playing.

Tom Constanten was spacy, too bad he didnt remain with them after 1970 or so.

Archived