How bad did Robert's vocal harmonizer sound?

ZepFanatic

Fucking awful...listening to Knebworth 8/11/79 and in Misty Mountain Hop it sounds like a cartoon robot voice! It also sounds pretty bad in the 1977 versions of Battle of Evermore...

Well, obviously it's a matter of taste. Listen to enough shows and you take it for what it was. Hard to listen to a 77 show now without expecting to hear that harmonizer. Personally, I don't mind it so much.

Well yeah, I know it'll be there and to expect it...and I understand it was the technology of the time, but wow was it bad...

Also, how bad did Stairway and Since I've Been Loving You sound when JPJ started playing piano exclusively for the live versions circa 1979-1980? Really bad...

Well yeah, I know it'll be there and to expect it...and I understand it was the technology of the time, but wow was it bad...

Also, how bad did Stairway and Since I've Been Loving You sound when JPJ started playing piano exclusively for the live versions circa 1979-1980? Really bad...

You really don't dig the later tours, do you? B)

I don't think he used piano on Stairway, at least I didn't hear it. I only heard it on Since I've Been Loving You.

Fucking awful...listening to Knebworth 8/11/79 and in Misty Mountain Hop it sounds like a cartoon robot voice! It also sounds pretty bad in the 1977 versions of Battle of Evermore...

I think the harmonizer is actually one of the reasons I'm partial to the '77 shows. :huh: But I have to admit, it didn't work so well on 'Misty Mountain Hop'.

I don't think he used piano on Stairway, at least I didn't hear it. I only heard it on Since I've Been Loving You.

He used it in 79 and 1980.

As for the vocal harmonizer, It initially bored me a lot, then I started taking it more lightly, it was a necessary step toward producing the harmonies on The Battle Of Evermore, do you remember how bad Misty Mountain Hop sounds live without harmonization on the vocals?, well I can also safely say that the worst ever use of the harmonizer was at the second Knebworth show.

You really don't dig the later tours, do you? B)

Actually, despite them not being nearly as good as earlier tours, I do love the later ones...1977 in particular, but also 1979 (well, 4 shows aren't a tour!) and 1980. I just feel they lost some of the awesome live sound by switching technology (most notably JPJ's horrid synth, losing the Mellotron, and too much piano in Stairway and SIBLY)...

I'm no fan of the harmonizer either. In general, their sound got less good in the end of the 70's.

I think Jimmy's tone in 1979/1980 got beefier after the razor thinness of 1977...but Jones' keyboard got worse sounding...up through 1977 they still had that great late 1960s sound/vibe but by the end it had plunged into full on 1980s cheese...

Archived